Future of MK

Commander

I'm taking it a step further.

Restrict writing roles NRS employees who were involved in MK between 1992 and 1999. They know more about Mortal Kombat than anyone else because of seniority alone. That fake Sindel we have in MK11 is proof that the MK11 writers have IQs that can be measured with my own two hands.
Yeah, and it's not just Sindel, either.
Just between MK9 and MK11, a difference of 2 games, they've also changed shit up for Kabal's bio and Skarlet's bio, and Skarlet was JUST made into an MK character not that long ago. 2 GAMES!
To top that off, they started off with Kotal being a badass character in the comics and over 2 games he's become nothing but another Hsu Hao joke / punching bag fodder for other characters.
Yay! Let's not only cripple this new character that we just created a game ago in MK11's story mode, but let's also
Spoiler:
kill him off in Aftermath.

I've said it before, but how does NRS expect me to take some of these new characters seriously when they don't.
If they're going to keep shoveling new characters with 0 character progression, at that point, then why not give us at least more of the 3D era characters that showed up in the MKX comics or as cameos in MKX as main roster slots or even as DLC?
At least we know those characters and they'd get another chance to shine in gameplay.

Xenon

Kotal got cucked so bad he even won an award for being a punching bag.

It's even less than 2 games. 1 game. Cassie in MKX was an edgelord, but in 11 she takes cringe to another level. "I'm the shit queen of fuck mountain!"? Who talks like that, and the hell were Dom/Shawn thinking of when they've put that childish drivel in?

Think I mentioned before, this game had 4 of my favorites in. Scorpion, Jade, Kotal and Shao Kahn. I cannot stand all of them. Even ignoring the gameplay issues, Shao Kahn being trash tier and etc. Just looking at the stories:

Scorpion keeps going in circles, making stupid mistakes over and over. Took them 10 games to resolve the conflict with Subby, and then....nothing. Just dies like a fool against D'Vorah. Back to square 1.

Jade keeps talking cringe and acts like a child, doesn't seem to care about her 10,000 year old friendship with Kitana, but at the same time is madly in love with Kotal. Why, when, how? Nobody knows, not even Shawn "Buy my cringe romance comics if you liked MK11 romance!" Kittelsen.

Don't need to explain why both the Kahns suck. MK9 and X done a much better job.

Xenon

He is the de facto the biggest jobber in this franchise. The only one to actually win an award for getting constantly destroyed.

Tarkatan Trash

Kotal reminds me of a typical Rassler who did something backstage to piss Vince McMahon off badly enough to go from a potential push to a jobber in one fell swoop. That's exactly how his character arc from MKX to MK11 went.

Commander

Kotal is just 1 of many examples, though.

For all of the people that gave Jacqui shit for being boring in MKX...... HOLY FUCK! Cetrion could not be more boring in MK11, and that also goes for Ger-ass, Kollec-turd, D'Vor-uh and Erron Bleh.
I was 1 of the people around here during the time of MKX and the beginning of MK11 trying to give these characters a chance, but if NRS (or more specifically Dominic) isn't going to further develop them beyond a single motherfucking dimension, then why the hell bother in the first place?
Cassie losing Sonya is something that people can relate to on some level (having a parent die), and I can understand Jacqui being able to finally meet her dad (young Jax) before all of the messed up shit that happened to him in MK9 and MKX.
Aside from that, most of the other characters that debuted in MKX just went downhill instead of getting further character / lore progression.

For that....... just give me Havik, Reiko and Daegon since at least Kittelsen had some sense to give them a decent storyline in the comics, and just call it a damn day. Like, at least the 3D era cast had interesting stories that you could further build off of and continue the lore.
I REALLY hope that Vogel has a more writing prominent role for MK12 and that Dominic takes a back seat for a bit.
Hopefully they can go off of the ending for Shang Tsung in Aftermath and give us some pretty interesting stuff that doesn't ONLY involve Earth, Outworld and the NetherRealm, but also places like ChaosRealm and OrderRealm.

Tarkatan Trash

Dominic taking a back seat isn't good enough. I want him fired. Maybe CD Projekt Red would be a better employer for the likes of him.

Commander

I don't think we'll be getting a new MK game any time soon.
Which is why (as much as I wouldn't care for it), I could easily see the remaining 5 data mined slots for MK11 going to MKII and MK3 / UMK3 characters like Smoke, Ermac, Reptile, Cyrax and Sektor.
With those 5 they could easily satiate the broader casual MK fanbase with the majority of the MK9 cast (since those of us that want 3D era characters are in the minority), until the next time that they do an MK game.
Fuck it.
It is what it is, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

killachef808

Imagine Mk12 having Marvel kharacters, lol
If they did add Marvel kharacters, they should add
1. Deadpool
2. Wolverine
3. Ultron
4. She-Hulk
5. Juggernaut
6. Quicksilver
7. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
8. Taskmaster
9. Hawkeye (Assassin Version)
10. Human Torch

Last edited:

Xenon

Which is why (as much as I wouldn't care for it), I could easily see the remaining 5 data mined slots for MK11 going to MKII and MK3 / UMK3 characters like Smoke, Ermac, Reptile, Cyrax and Sektor.
With those 5 they could easily satiate the broader casual MK fanbase with the majority of the MK9 cast (since those of us that want 3D era characters are in the minority), until the next time that they do an MK game.
Fuck it.
It is what it is, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

I doubt the next game is going to have a lot of 3D Era characters as well. Explained this before.... WB isn't doing too great now financially, and they'll make NRS do whatever prints the most money. The trilogy will be re-emerging over and over again. It's not like NRS are huge fans of 3D era either, they made it clear multiple times.

Just look at the upcoming movie. From what I gathered, there are only TWO 3D era characters in there: Nitara and Reiko. Both of them are gonna bite the dust, I bet.

Commander

I doubt the next game is going to have a lot of 3D Era characters as well. Explained this before.... WB isn't doing too great now financially, and they'll make NRS do whatever prints the most money. The trilogy will be re-emerging over and over again. It's not like NRS are huge fans of 3D era either, they made it clear multiple times.

Just look at the upcoming movie. From what I gathered, there are only TWO 3D era characters in there: Nitara and Reiko. Both of them are gonna bite the dust, I bet.
What also would make money is if they put more 3D era characters on the roster and also sell some of the klassics as DLC.
My bigger issue with MK11 in regards to the roster is how the era is lacking (in general).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but 3D era characters don't seem to sell well as DLC and would likely be better suited to have main roster spots. I'll take any 3D era characters that they DO want to give us as DLC, though.
Bo Rai Cho and Tanya probably didn't sell well on their own (hence all of the klassic DLC in MK11), but MKX also had Quan Chi, Kenshi & Shinnok on the main roster.
MK11 is proof of klassic characters doing well as DLC.
Aside from Fujin (which people have asked for since before MK9, the last 12 years), look at which other MK characters are DLC for MK11: Sindel, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Mileena and Rain.
All of which are either MKII or MK3 / UMK3 characters.

It's obvious by now that NRS themselves don't give a shit for the MKX and MK11 newer characters, so if that's the case and they're going to treat their own new creations like shit (such as Kotal, D'Vorah, Kollector, Cetrion, Geras), then why not give those slots to another 5 main roster 3D era characters?
If they had a few more 3D era ones on the main roster they'd probably have very little to no issues with selling characters like Baraka, Stryker, Kabal, Smoke, Ermac, Sektor and Cyrax as DLC for MK12. 🤷‍♂️

Tarkatan Trash

Imagine Mk12 having Marvel kharacters, lol
If they did add Marvel kharacters, they should add
1. Deadpool
2. Wolverine
3. Ultron
4. She-Hulk
5. Juggernaut
6. Quicksilver
7. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
8. Taskmaster
9. Hawkeye (Assassin Version)
10. Human Torch
Disney owns the rights to Marvel. MK's IP holder owns the rights to DC. Marvel characters in MK isn't happening for that reason alone.

I so want Liutana to have a kid of their own! Think of it this way: Liu Kang is based off of Bruce Lee, so a son of Liu & Kitana can be based after Brandon Lee of The Crow.

Xenon

What also would make money is if they put more 3D era characters on the roster and also sell some of the klassics as DLC.
My bigger issue with MK11 in regards to the roster is how the era is lacking (in general).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but 3D era characters don't seem to sell well as DLC and would likely be better suited to have main roster spots. I'll take any 3D era characters that they DO want to give us as DLC, though.
Bo Rai Cho and Tanya probably didn't sell well on their own (hence all of the klassic DLC in MK11), but MKX also had Quan Chi, Kenshi & Shinnok on the main roster.
MK11 is proof of klassic characters doing well as DLC.
Aside from Fujin (which people have asked for since before MK9, the last 12 years), look at which other MK characters are DLC for MK11: Sindel, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Mileena and Rain.
All of which are either MKII or MK3 / UMK3 characters.

It's obvious by now that NRS themselves don't give a shit for the MKX and MK11 newer characters, so if that's the case and they're going to treat their own new creations like shit (such as Kotal, D'Vorah, Kollector, Cetrion, Geras), then why not give those slots to another 5 main roster 3D era characters?
If they had a few more 3D era ones on the main roster they'd probably have very little to no issues with selling characters like Baraka, Stryker, Kabal, Smoke, Ermac, Sektor and Cyrax as DLC for MK12. 🤷‍♂️

... I don't see why putting 3D Era characters on the initial roster would somehow translate to more money. Have you not seen the outrage with initial MKX and MK11 rosters? The biggest stans ever were of Mileena. Now they're pestering Ed with constant Smoke/Ermac spam. The fact that 3D era sells poorly as DLC should tell everything to you. Not sure why you keep going with this....

Tarkatan Trash

I so want Liutana to have a kid of their own! Think of it this way: Liu Kang is based off of Bruce Lee, so a son of Liu & Kitana can be based after Brandon Lee of The Crow.
Oddly enough, Brandon Lee was considered for the Johnny Cage role in the 95 MK movie, but that never materialized due to his death while filming The Crow.

Commander

... I don't see why putting 3D Era characters on the initial roster would somehow translate to more money. Have you not seen the outrage with initial MKX and MK11 rosters? The biggest stans ever were of Mileena. Now they're pestering Ed with constant Smoke/Ermac spam. The fact that 3D era sells poorly as DLC should tell everything to you. Not sure why you keep going with this....
Because the klassics sell better as DLC, whereas 3D era characters seem to also fare well on the main roster.
The main MK11 roster also only had 1 character from the 3D era, and most of the outrage was people going "fuck Kollector" or "fuck Cetrion" or "fuck Geras."
You're skipping over the fact that people were more annoyed that Jacqui, Cassie, Erron Black, Geras, Kollector and Cetrion made it in over the klassics that they wanted and people weren't as mad about Frost being in MK11 than they were about those other 6.
People in MKX also didn't have many issues with Quan Chi, Kenshi, Shinnok, Tanya, Tremor and Bo Rai Cho being playable.
NO, the characters that they constantly bitched about "taking up a spot" for a character that they feel should "be in very game" were the majority of the 8 new characters that they introduced in MKX.
I'm not saying to sell all klassics as DLC, but if you replaced Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron, Cetrion, Geras and Kollector's spaces in MK12 for 3D era ones, people may be more accepting of that.
Part of the big problem with MK11 is that they didn't properly develop those newer characters and made them even shittier (thanks to Dominic) and left them on the back burner, so people are are probably wondering "why the fuck are these poorly developed characters taking up spots?"
Not every game can be Trilogy 2.0 because people would get burned out and there would be no real need to buy they next game if the previous game had the same roster.
If MK9 and MKX or MKX and MK11 had the same exact base roster, why the hell would I ever pre-order another MK or even bother with it at full price if it's just the same exact roster as 2 years prior? For that I'll wait until it goes down to the $10 price point and just get it then.
This is the same reason why I also got burned out on Madden, back in the day. It ended up having a few changes here and there, but after a while there was not enough of a difference to warrant me buying it at full price every year.
Even if they did put a good amount of klassics on the main roster (like they did with MKX and MK11), people will always bitch and moan, so why not replace the newer MKX and MK11 characters with 3D era ones, since NRS doesn't seem to give much of a shit (or Dominic more specifically) for those newer characters anyways?
You're also ignoring the fact that people have been asking for Havik, Reiko and Sareena as DLC for this game, and while they may or may not do poorly as DLC, they could definitely be main roster spots that would add some variety to an otherwise repetitive roster.
Aside from human Smoke and Stryker, the majority of the MK9 roster has been in all 3 games as playable in some shape or another, but to hell with me for wanting to see some 3D era variety, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Xenon

Because the klassics sell better as DLC, whereas 3D era characters seem to also fare well on the main roster.
[Citation needed.]

You're really tricking yourself if you believe there won't be fan outrage if some classic character gets the axe, and instead gets replaced by some 3D nobody.

The good news is that if that indeed will be the case in the next game, you can employ the following NRS_Bot response:
"GO PLAY MK9/11!!!"

Last edited:

Commander

[Citation needed.]

You're really tricking yourself if you believe there won't be fan outrage if some classic character gets the axe, and instead gets replaced by some 3D nobody.

The good news is that if that indeed will be the case in the next game, you can employ the following NRS_Bot response:
"GO PLAY MK9/11!!!"
I don't know how anyone could look at the MK11 characters that are DLC and NOT realize that that's the safest shit out there.
It's not risky at all unlike Bo Rai Cho, Tanya and Leatherface were in MKX. Not by a goddamn long-shot.

Shang Tsung, Sindel, Nightwolf, Sheeva, Mileena and Rain are all MKII and MK3 / UMK3 characters that are SUPER safe to sell as DLC.
Inb4 " but nobody wants Sheeva"..... she's the token Shokan and if Goro or Kintaro aren't made playable, she's the nest best one.
The same thing happened between the time of MKII and MK3 where people wanted a playable Shokan and Midway's answer was Sheeva.
Terminator - was 1 of the most popular 80s action characters and had a Universal Studios ride and is also safe.
Joker - he's the most popular Batman villain and also safe.
Spawn, has been requested by A LOT of people between MKX and MK11 and is very safe.
Robocop, debatable since people didn't really request him much, but he works well as a vs to Terminator just like how AvP works well in MKX.
Rambo, a bit out of left field but also an 80s action hero icon.

Havik, Reiko and Sareena aren't 3D nobodies given that they've been requested more ever since MKX.
The MKX comics and game helped those 3 characters and Daegon get lots of recognition than they have in the last 15 years.
Regardless, though, yeah I fully expect that if there really are 5 characters left that they'll go to Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor because they are the lowest hanging fruit for the casual Kyles out there that would play with those characters for 5 to 10 minutes then go back to COD, Fortnite or whatever else they were playing beforehand.

As for your "NRS_Bot response," while I'm not the type of person that will tell people to "GO PLAY MK9 / MK11!!!," that can already be deployed, given that MK11 is only 6 characters from being UMK3 version 3.0.
20 out of the 26 goddamn playable klassic characters (from MK1 through UMK3) that were in MK9 are in this game too, but that's never good enough for anyone.