Future of MK

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Hey that's nice! Great!
I am gonna go grab Kitana, Jade, Mileena, Sonya Blade, Frost, Shujinko, Shao Kahn and Quan chi figurines in the same quality!

Oh wait...
I mean I get that you're joking, but the reason we're waiting to pre-order Noob is because the Kitana, Mileena and Jade statues are coming out first.
Shao Kahn and Quan Chi both have statues already, I own them. Even Kintaro has a statue.

And PCS does character polls for what statues they do. If you don't have a Shujinko or Frost statue yet, don't be mad at them be mad at their fanbase for not showing out. Even Lord Raiden himself had a statue cancelled for lack of interest. Tremor too (that one hurt, rip)

Misucra

I mean I get that you're joking, but the reason we're waiting to pre-order Noob is because the Kitana, Mileena and Jade statues are coming out first.
Shao Kahn and Quan Chi both have statues already, I own them. Even Kintaro has a statue.

And PCS does character polls for what statues they do. If you don't have a Shujinko or Frost statue yet, don't be mad at them be mad at their fanbase for not showing out. Even Lord Raiden himself had a statue cancelled for lack of interest. Tremor too (that one hurt, rip)
I am not mad at PCS and I am not gonna blame fanbase. I blame NRS/WB.
To save time on writing, this video illustrates part of my point quite well.

Why should a fanbase be blamed for not showing enough interest, if the character barely gets anything? Why would be people interested in Raiden's character, if he is now known for being generic and his meme "I have to ask Elder Gods"? Why would anyone be interested in Frost, if most new players didn't even know she existed before? And not to mention that god awful design of her in MK11. So if you're a fan of any of those, characters, it is tough shit for you, cause nothing will be done about it.

It is not up to fanbase to make character's popular. It is NRS job.

And it ain't a mystery of how to do it, too. Give a proper backstory, give enough screen time, make characters have more depth. That's how you get a popular character. But nah instead let's keep printing Scorpion and Sub Zero.

Not to mention people like consistency. West has a huge problem with that. Be it both comics or games. Good luck getting all characters from the same iteration. You can't even buy a goddamn comic in peace, because it might become non cannon 4 years later.
"Oh, you bought this comic showing the events between MK9 and MKX? WELL TOUGH SHIT, BOI. Dom and his boys came in and said "FUCK DAT. It ain't canon no more."
And even IF the character is popular and well known. Like Sonya Blade. Good luck finding any good figurines of her.
It is idiotic.
Anyone with business sense and two brain cells, could thought "Hey. How about we set the world of MK in stone. Build foundations for ALL of the characters and lore. That way people have A ONE PLACE to gather at and get all of the merchandise from. But nah. Instead we have this kind of shit.

Like I said. MK franchise is painfully mismanaged.

Misucra

MK games cannot even keep their VAs consistent.

Amen to that.

It is clear they have no idea what to do with MK. No direction, no plot. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. And at this point? Nothing sticks for them.
Hence I wouldn't be surprised that if we DO get some news about MK, it will be remaster at best. They ran out of material to write and they will never move past original cast. So MK will be in stasis for some years, until they will reboot the series again for the new gen of players.

Misucra

Dude is a cornball regardless
Cornball or not. He made good points about MK merch. It is disorganized, favorites pretty much only 4 characters and if you want to find something different you either have to go through hell and back or you can't find shit at all.

So the points stands. MK merchandise sucks ass.
Especially if you compare to Japanese franchises. Their merchandise is always consistent, covers all of the characters and while can be more expensive, quality tends to be higher.

Sure, Japanese merch overall is on a whole another level in general, but bloody WB could take some notes once in a while. Cause like 4thsnake said. Are they allergic to money?

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Cornball or not. He made good points about MK merch. It is disorganized, favorites pretty much only 4 characters and if you want to find something different you either have to go through hell and back or you can't find shit at all.

So the points stands. MK merchandise sucks ass.
Especially if you compare to Japanese franchises. Their merchandise is always consistent, covers all of the characters and while can be more expensive, quality tends to be higher.

Sure, Japanese merch overall is on a whole another level in general, but bloody WB could take some notes once in a while. Cause like 4thsnake said. Are they allergic to money?

Idk, I just find it hard to agree with as I actively collect MK merch. Storm Collectibles, Pop Culture Shock, MacFarlane, Arcade1up, Iron Studios etc. There's always new dope shit to get your hands on. Sure, majority of it is Ninja related, but that's to be expected honestly. That's what the majority wants to buy. Yeah its NRS' fault for mainly just pushing the mainstays, but I'm one of the fans who doesn't mind.

Their new writers suck dick, so they hang on to the glory days of when everyone loved the ninjas. Because god knows nobody is going to buy a Kollector or Kronika figure (I'd buy a Kollector figure)

Also while Japanese IPs def have more mech, it isn't always better quality

Attachments

• scrnli_8_15_2022_3-37-47 PM.png
    scrnli_8_15_2022_3-37-47 PM.png
    812.3 KB · Views: 5

Misucra

Idk, I just find it hard to agree with as I actively collect MK merch. Storm Collectibles, Pop Culture Shock, MacFarlane, Arcade1up, Iron Studios etc. There's always new dope shit to get your hands on. Sure, majority of it is Ninja related, but that's to be expected honestly. That's what the majority wants to buy. Yeah its NRS' fault for mainly just pushing the mainstays, but I'm one of the fans who doesn't mind.

Their new writers suck dick, so they hang on to the glory days of when everyone loved the ninjas. Because god knows nobody is going to buy a Kollector or Kronika figure (I'd buy a Kollector figure)

Also while Japanese IPs def have more mech, it isn't always better quality
Everyone has shit figures, but not everyone has as many options as Japanese ones. I don't have to worry of being stuck with just the crappy ones or same characters over and over again. If I spend some time I can find every character I want. Can't say the same for MK as they are very picky on who they give licenses to. While other franchises give out licenses like candies, ensuring that people will have more options.
It is cool that people that like Ninjas get what they want. But MK has over 40 characters and mostly only 4 get the attention. So yeah, they merch inventory sucks ass, their marketing sucks ass and they can't write interesting characters worth shit.

Commander

Why should a fanbase be blamed for not showing enough interest, if the character barely gets anything? Why would be people interested in Raiden's character, if he is now known for being generic and his meme "I have to ask Elder Gods"? Why would anyone be interested in Frost, if most new players didn't even know she existed before? And not to mention that god awful design of her in MK11. So if you're a fan of any of those, characters, it is tough shit for you, cause nothing will be done about it.

It is not up to fanbase to make character's popular. It is NRS job.

I couldn't have said this better, and yeah I agree, it's NRS job to promote characters and show that they can be well done in the modern games.
Prior to MKX it seemed like the fanbase was split with Bo Rai Cho being playable or not, and it seems like post-MKX that lots of people liked what they did with him and have accepted him more now. I'm 1 of the ones who Bo Rai Cho didn't change for me too much one way or another after MKX (being honest), but I definitely did like Kenshi, Shinnok and Tanya more after MK9 and MKX and I though that they did a fantastic job with Fujin for MK11.

And it ain't a mystery of how to do it, too. Give a proper backstory, give enough screen time, make characters have more depth. That's how you get a popular character. But nah instead let's keep printing Scorpion and Sub Zero.

Not to mention people like consistency. West has a huge problem with that. Be it both comics or games. Good luck getting all characters from the same iteration. You can't even buy a goddamn comic in peace, because it might become non cannon 4 years later.
"Oh, you bought this comic showing the events between MK9 and MKX? WELL TOUGH SHIT, BOI. Dom and his boys came in and said "FUCK DAT. It ain't canon no more."

But sadly NRS won't really do that.
They shat on Frost's design and gave her a shit role in story mode, they also crippled and killed off Kotal Kahn (Aftermath), Kollector is meh and Cetrion is nothing but a "yes" henchwoman with nothing but blind obedience going for her, and the same can be said for Geras being a blinded henchman.
No wonder people shit on these characters when NRS themselves also shits on them.
Ferra / Torr in MKX.... awesome character(s), but barely gets any (if at all) representation in story or shown why we should give a shit about them.
Just poof. Here they are on the roster.
We got lucky for the most part that Sheeva, Fujin, Nightwolf, Sindel and Shao Kahn got chapters in Aftermath, but for the most part, like @BBBLP said they don't give a shit for villains and they also give less of a shit for stories that don't involve Raiden or Liu Kang.
It's been 3 goddamn NRS games now where the fate of the universe depends on Raiden or Liu Kang (MK9), Raiden and his forces of light vs NetherRealm (Liu Kang and Kitana) in MKX, Raiden AND Liu Kang vs Kronika (MK11) and Liu Kang vs Shang Tsung (Aftermath).
I wouldn't be surprised at this point if "MK12" is a soft reboot with Liu Kang bringing back all of his allies (most of which coincidentally happen to be klassic characters in MK11 - Jade, Kitana, Great Kung Lao, Johnny, Sonya, Raiden, Baraka, Jax, Scorpion, Sub-Zero) along with characters like Reptile, Goro and Smoke.

And even IF the character is popular and well known. Like Sonya Blade. Good luck finding any good figurines of her.
It is idiotic.
As much as I'd love to see more 3D era representation in more games, media and collectibles, I've also thought for the longest time that if they did an MK1 collection of figurines (like a set) it would sell pretty well.

Last edited:

Xenon

I think we've beaten that horse way too much regarding NRS dogshit writing. It's dead, Jim.

Can we now discuss how Lui transformed into a giant and clapped the One Being?!?! I can't wait for the new movie and see which Evil Doer (tm) gets his ass destroyed this time!!!

Last edited:

Misucra

Well one horse is definitely not beaten enough, as it keeps on giving. The anniversary box was revealed recently. It first it was just a pic with nothing to support it, but now Xenon showed me the listing on Amazon.

Well... enjoy your 30th anniversary MK fanbase! Enjoy by getting Wokey 11 and MK 2021 movie, which you have both played and watched already!
Deal of the century! That's what people have been asking! Skyrim had 20 releases? Fuck dat! Here comes MK 11 with 120 of rereleases in less than 4 years!

Commander

Ha ha ha ha ha
This is exactly why I don't put my hopes in any of this arbitrary "anniversary" bullshit. :ROFLMAO:
The fanbase cares more about these supposed "milestone" dates than WB or NRS does.

lariat

I dunno if it's legit or not. Red flag is the "seller".

But hey.... at least it's not a MK9 Demaster :ROFLMAO:
I have my doubts that it's legit. Most people forgot that movie by now and MK11 has been a dried-up desert sense 2020. NRS can't afford to sit around re releasing MK11 over and over again. Capcom and Namco have both announced their new games already. People will jump ship and play those games instead. WB isn't going to let all that momentum go to their competition. They simply can't afford to. Ed can tweet about ''lt's time for other fighting games to have their moment in the sun'' all he wants but we all know he's sweating bullets with WB CEO behind the scenes. If they want that billion in sells again they're going to have to show something sooner rather than later. If we don't hear a announcement by the VGAs than there's some serious trouble in paradise.

Last edited:

Xenon

I have my doubts that it's legit. Most people forgot that movie by now and MK11 has been a dried-up desert sense 2020. NRS can't afford to sit around re releasing MK11 over and over again. Capcom and Namco have both announced their new games already. People will jump ship and play those games instead. WB isn't going to let all that momentum go to their competition. They simply can't afford to. Ed can tweet about ''lt's time for other fighting games to have their moment in the sun'' all he wants but we all know he's sweating bullets with WB CEO behind the scenes. If they want that billion in sells again they're going to have to show something sooner rather than later. If we don't hear a announcement by the VGAs than there's some serious trouble in paradise.
Yeah, if you check out the "seller", it just says Amazon. No link to the actual seller. I have no idea how it got out there, because people can Pre-Order it and get scammed.

Misucra

I believe it is quite the opposite. Zaslav apparently is a very cheap man. Right now he is focusing on saving as much money as possible.
He took down numerous shows on HBO Max.
Batgirl movie that was basically 95% complete, got canned.
CNN was at this point massacred, gutted, beaten... basically, anything what you can imagine, it was done to CNN.
The guy isn't cutting down the fat, he inserted a pipe in the ass and is draining it full force.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he said. "Fund a new game? You stupid? Just rerelease what you had."

As for other potential "anniversary" things. I saw this leak from 2021 on 4chan.
The leak claimed that they are planning on releasing an outsourced MK9 next gen port, and original MK trilogy for October of 2022.
Now you know, how I see leaks. BUT the leak also included MultiVersus fighting game. It also predicted entire roster. One to one. Even going as far as giving DLC characters. And one of them was Lebron James. The leak was in 2021 November. Lebron James character was officially revealed only WEEKS ago.

AND. Recently and original MK trilogy got released on GOG.
So I am afraid, that the outsourced MK9 "next gen" port/demaster might be coming too...

lariat

Like I've said numerous times already. He's targeting movie and TV projects that he didn't green light that was bleeding money. Something the DC universe (outside of the few exceptions I've mentioned before) has been doing for years now. From what I've read the test screenings for Batgirl where abysmal so he must have decided to cut his loses instead of dealing with the backlash later. It's not a good look for a new CEO for their first major release under his leadership to be a laughing stock. Again, until he starts gutting the games division and it makes front headlines we won't know whats going on with NRS. My guess is if we get nothing or just a MK9 remaster reveal at the VGAs than it safe to say He's cancelled NRS next game. I doubt that's the case though, MK is much too big of a IP for them to just shelf and live off of old games no one plays anymore IMO.

Misucra

Like I've said numerous times already. He's targeting movie and TV projects that he didn't green light that was bleeding money. Something the DC universe (outside of the few exceptions I've mentioned before) has been doing for years now. From what I've read the test screenings for Batgirl where abysmal so he must have decided to cut his loses instead of dealing with the backlash later. It's not a good look for a new CEO for their first major release under his leadership to be a laughing stock. Again, until he starts gutting the games division and it makes front headlines we won't know whats going on with NRS. My guess is if we get nothing or just a MK9 remaster reveal at the VGAs than it safe to say He's cancelled NRS next game. I doubt that's the case though, MK is much too big of a IP for them to just shelf and live off of old games no one plays anymore IMO.

MK is expensive af, and isn't something that you would call a very big money maker. It can make money for itself, but it won't be carrying companies any time soon. Not with shit management like this at least. Like you said yourself. He is focusing on THE big sellers. Billions in revenue and maximum traffic. MK is a niche. Popular franchise, but still a niche.
Not something he can sell like "a 10 year old planned franchise."
Also games divisions rarely make big news, unless it is related to working conditions or some Twitter drama. If something noteworthy happens and is made public, then game blogs are usually the only ones that cover it up. But even then, news can be months old by that time.
So it wouldn't be surprising if butchering already happened there, but we didn't hear anything, cause NRS was told to shut the fuck up.

So it is reasonable to believe that he put entire WB section on resource management. After all, he needs to stop massive bleeding.