Future of MK

lariat

At least it's a blunt answer instead of the usual ''Maybe...Maybe not...I don't know.'' BS that Boon likes to troll with. EVO is now controlled by Sony so maybe there's a conflict of interest there with WBs. They're still a third party publisher after all so they'll want as many eyeballs on this thing as much as possible whenever they do decide to pull back the curtain on this new game.

Misucra

At least it's a blunt answer instead of the usual ''Maybe...Maybe not...I don't know.'' BS that Boon likes to troll with. EVO is now controlled by Sony so maybe there's a conflict of interest there with WBs. They're still a third party publisher after all so they'll want as many eyeballs on this thing as much as possible whenever they do decide to pull back the curtain on this new game.
I get a feeling, they aren't really working hard on anything right now. Warner Discovery currently is in a slaughter mode. Movies and projects are being cancelled left and right, the previous Execs of Warner got kicked out and replaced by Discovery ones, layoffs left and right. And apparently David Zaslav (current CEO) hasn't even warmed up yet.
They are already looking at shutting down entire DC comics section.

So there is now a high chance, that a lot of game studios belonging to Warner will be butchered as well. I see Zaslav outsourcing a lot of IP's to someone else. MK is very likely to be one of them.
So this could be a reason, as to why there are no news about any NRS games. As for anniversary... apparently there will be another animated MK movies in October. That's all people will get. Another cheap cashgrab.

lariat

I think the new WB CEO is mostly targeting big budget movies (like those Batgirl and supergirl movies ) and projects that he had no control of before he became the new CEO. Anything that seems like a stinker and a money sink gets axed. Many of those resent DC movies and TV shows have all lost money outside of the Nolan Batman films, Aquaman and Joker. On the gaming side of things, MK11 still made a lot of money so I don't see MK12 getting shitcanned like Batgirl who isn't near as popular as Wonder women, Harley Quinn ect. Obviously this just speculation on my part but It looks like He's shifting focus on what is best for the company and trimming the fat so to speak. Mortal Kombat is one of the biggest ips in videogames. It makes zero sense to cancel NRS new game just to outsource it IMO.

Misucra

I think the new WB CEO is mostly targeting big budget movies (like those Batgirl and supergirl movies ) and projects that he had no control of before he became the new CEO. Anything that seems like a stinker and a money sink gets axed. Many of those resent DC movies and TV shows have all lost money outside of the Nolan Batman films, Aquaman and Joker. On the gaming side of things, MK11 still made a lot of money so I don't see MK12 getting shitcanned like Batgirl who isn't near as popular as Wonder women, Harley Quinn ect. Obviously this just speculation on my part but It looks like He's shifting focus on what is best for the company and trimming the fat so to speak. Mortal Kombat is one of the biggest ips in videogames. It makes zero sense to cancel NRS new game just to outsource it IMO.
Yeah. MK11 did make a lot of money and I think by this point surpassed MKX overall sales numbers just recently. But by only a tiny margin as MKX was insanely successful. And MK11 had a MUCH bigger investment, so while it make money, it didn't make the money, that were worth showing off. We only heard about how big the launch sales were. After that? Nothing.
And Zaslav is said to be known for two things. Lack of patience and not liking big spending. Especially in current situation.
MK is a big franchise, but also VERY expensive. At this point it is a fact that MK11 has way bigger spending, than MKX. I really doubt Zaslav will be happy seeing that regardless of massive spending, MK11 barely managed to hit over 1 billion mark in revenue (plus minus rough estimate, if counting all of the sales with story expansion included) in 2 and a half years.

I for one wouldn't be surprised.

lariat

Well...up until this point He hasn't canceled or interfered with anything to do with the gaming division so the jurys still out on that. Even if he did cut back on NRS budget, Mortal Kombat doesn't need huge marketing budgets to be successful. All they need to do is cut back on the pointless marketing and celebrity collaborations such as Ronda Rousey voice acting for Sonya. Cut back on more and more special guest characters in every game and just give us more Mortal Kombat characters in a Mortal Kombat game (I know crazy right?). Like I previously mentioned he seems only focused on Streaming, Big budget Movies and TV shows at the moment. That Gothem Knights game looks like a dumpster fire and yet it still set to release this year. I imagine NRS new game is too far into development for WB to all the sudden decide to kill the project.

Last edited:

Misucra

Well...up until this point He hasn't canceled or interfered with anything to do with the gaming division so the jurys still out on that. Even if he did cut back on NRS budget, Mortal Kombat doesn't need huge marketing budgets to be successful. All they need to do is cut back on the pointless marketing and celebrity collaborations such as Ronda Rousey voice acting for Sonya. Cut back on more and more special guest characters in every game and just give us more Mortal Kombat characters in a Mortal Kombat game (I know crazy right?). Like I previously mentioned he seems only focused on Streaming, Big budget Movies and TV shows at the moment. That Gothem Knights game looks like a dumpster fire and yet it still set to release this year. I imagine NRS new game is too far into development for WB to all the sudden decide to kill the project.
To be fair. Zaslav only killed the complete and utter failures.
So you could be quite right and he might be keeping gaming division alone for now.

Though really hard to say. It feels as if he just took a chainsaw and started going through each department.
Gotham Knights looks like a joke at best. I legit laughed at that leaked gameplay, where the player was trying to make combat look as cool as possible, but only revealed how slow and messy it is.
MK would save a lot of money if they stopped focusing so much on "realistic facial animations".
They look cool, but MK isn't an RPG, where you talk with other characters. It is a fighting game. They could adapt anime style, like Arc System Works. They make beautiful games, but at the fraction of MK budget. And ironically they are deeper gameplay wise, than MK11.

Commander

But guys! Wait wait wait!

There is still MK 30th anniversary happening on October 8th!
They will do something awesome for it! Right? Right, guys?

Guys...?

Anyone?
Been saying this shit for a while, but people really need to fucking learn to keep their expectations in check when it comes to Ed Boon and NRS.......
1. The year of the 20th anniversary of MK1 (2012) Injustice 1 was announced, and MK9 came out the year before (2011).​
On the MK side of things for 2012, we got a behind the scenes making of MK1 video.​
2. The year of the 25th anniversary of MK (2017) Injustice 2 was released, and 2 years prior (in 2015) we got MKX.​
On the MK side, we got some cards for the mobile app.​
3. In 2019 (what would have been the 27th year since MK came out) we got MK11, significant anniversary be damned.:ROFLMAO:

There's some cool MK1 footage that they posted and I love to see the behind the scenes stuff, don't get me wrong, but while the fanbase thinks that "big news" and arbitrary "anniversary" dates mean anything, they likely don't mean jack shit to Ed Boon / NRS / WB.
They'll release stuff when they are good and ready, regardless of any dates that people think are relevant.

Last edited:

Misucra

Been saying this shit for a while, but people really need to fucking learn to keep their expectations in check when it comes to Ed Boon and NRS.......
1. The year of the 20th anniversary of MK1 (2012) Injustice 1 was announced, and MK9 came out the year before (2011).​
On the MK side of things for 2012, we got a behind the scenes making of MK1 video.​
2. The year of the 25th anniversary of MK (2017) Injustice 2 was released, and 2 years prior (in 2015) we got MKX.​
On the MK side, we got some cards for the mobile app.​
3. In 2019 (what would have been the 27th year since MK came out) we got MK11, significant anniversary be damned.:ROFLMAO:

There's some cool MK1 footage that they posted and I love to see the behind the scenes stuff, don't get me wrong, but while the fanbase thinks that "big news" and arbitrary "anniversary" dates mean anything, they likely don't mean jack shit to Ed Boon / NRS / WB.
They'll release stuff when they are good and ready, regardless of any dates that people think are relevant.
Yeah and October will see the release of MK animated movie. Soooo pretty much that's all the people will get for their so called "Anniversary"

Commander

Yeah and October will see the release of MK animated movie. Soooo pretty much that's all the people will get for their so called "Anniversary"
Yeah, and if patterns are to be believed (which we don't really know what'll happen at this point), then (imo) there's a chance that something non-MK fighting game related gets announced this year or next.

Xenon

Watched the trailer for the new animated movie, looks like Komplete Ass. :ROFLMAO: This is the same "Universe" where Lui turned into a giant and kicked One Being's ass, right?

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Watched the trailer for the new animated movie, looks like Komplete Ass. :ROFLMAO: This is the same "Universe" where Lui turned into a giant and kicked One Being's ass, right?

Really? I just watched it and thought it looked pretty alright. I honestly feel a little better about them raping the canon knowing that this a completely separate, "what if" timeline. I fucking *hated* Battle of the Realms, but I'll be watching this.

I'm definitely not looking forward to seeing Ferra/Torr, Tremor and Kabal die tho. Thats the worst thing about any type of MK media. If you're a fan of the villains, you constantly watch your favorite characters get decapitated, spit on, disrespected and tossed aside. I never watched Scorpion's Revenge because I saw the clip of Reptile getting his head ripped off, right after being called a bitch. No thanks

Xenon

Really? I just watched it and thought it looked pretty alright. I honestly feel a little better about them raping the canon knowing that this a completely separate, "what if" timeline. I fucking *hated* Battle of the Realms, but I'll be watching this.

I'm definitely not looking forward to seeing Ferra/Torr, Tremor and Kabal die tho. Thats the worst thing about any type of MK media. If you're a fan of the villains, you constantly watch your favorite characters get decapitated, spit on, disrespected and tossed aside. I never watched Scorpion's Revenge because I saw the clip of Reptile getting his head ripped off, right after being called a bitch. No thanks
Yeah... Okay so the positives:
+Not focusing on Ed's BFF for once.
+3D Era, and even some obscure characters (No face I guess?)
+ They finally dropped that GODAWFUL art style, where Sonya had a bigger chin than Kobra does in here.

That's pretty much it. The Mad Max thing... Just why? MK has been here for what... 30 years?... and we're still fucking about with things that shouldn't be fucked about?... it's not exactly original either.

Kabal looks like he has a beer gut. But yeah him and Kano with his Crew are getting wasted and humiliated, that's a guarantee.

Is this a sequel, a prequel or what? Kano got owned and died already, Shang Tsung got obliterated.

Also just because of the first 2 shitty movies, you already know how this one will go. If this would be the first movie and the last 2 didn't exist, then yeah I'd probably be of a different opinion. So far it does look like Komplete Ass.

Last edited:

Khri$$ Javan

Im not digging the art style at all. The atmosphere is not dark, fantasy, mystic like They shouldve went the spawn 90s anime art style, imo. I havent watched the first two movies, but judging the reviews and people reactions I wasnt missing anything. The only thing I find redeemable so far is kira, kobra and ferra torr. Its good to see them back I will always root for the underdog kharacters. But the movie will probably be shit. I honestly dont have any faith in this franchise anymore since its owned by WB. Look with them sodomites did to DC, how the fuck do you expect them to produce anything of substance? They cant even build a proper cinematic universe lmao, and you think MK is in good hands with these idiots? hahaha

Misucra

Im not digging the art style at all. The atmosphere is not dark, fantasy, mystic like They shouldve went the spawn 90s anime art style, imo. I havent watched the first two movies, but judging the reviews and people reactions I wasnt missing anything. The only thing I find redeemable so far is kira, kobra and ferra torr. Its good to see them back I will always root for the underdog kharacters. But the movie will probably be shit. I honestly dont have any faith in this franchise anymore since its owned by WB. Look with them sodomites did to DC, how the fuck do you expect them to produce anything of substance? They cant even build a proper cinematic universe lmao, and you think MK is in good hands with these idiots? hahaha
Amen to that.

Mortal Kombat is one of the most mismanaged franchises in Gaming and Entertainment overall.
Imagine if they had a plan?

People have been screaming about merchandise for years. Nothing.
People asked for an established world. Nothing.
People are willing to buy costumes as long as there is a choice. Nothing.
MK11 wasn't even monetized properly, even according to greedy corporate practices. Time Crystals are thrown around, so by the time you need something from the shop, you have all of the crystals you need to buy it.
And now these "movies".
Goro and Quan Chi die in the first one.
Shao Kahn and Shinnok die in the second one.
And now the genius idea? Let's make Kano into a big bad. I mean he died in the Scorpion's Revenge, but we will make up some shit. Maybe it is Shang Tsung in disguise! Maybe Kano got resurrected! Whatever floats the boat!

They could be swimming in billions, have actual TV series, sell world maps and character figures. Tons of people would pay for that. Collector's would love it. But nah. Let's burn money by making garbage and milk this franchise dry until there is nothing left and then blame customers for losing interest.

Xenon

Goro and Quan Chi die in the first one.
Shao Kahn and Shinnok die in the second one.
You forgot the One Being. Why doesn't Lui just teleport to those 2 jokers (Kano and Shang), and just snap their necks?....

Lemme guess: "It's a different universe!!!!111". Okay... then why is it still called "Legends"?...

Misucra

You forgot the One Being. Why doesn't Lui just teleport to those 2 jokers (Kano and Shang), and just snap their necks?....

Lemme guess: "It's a different universe!!!!111". Okay... then why is it still called "Legends"?...
I didn't forget it. NRS did.

To be honest if I was the writer, I would make One Being not into a character of its own, but a force of nature. Something more interesting.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
To be fair there's mad merchandise. They have this gorgeous Noob Saibot statue that should be up for pre-order pretty soon.

294648923_3252264401677731_2533032413201525217_n (1).jpg