Future of MK

Guyver Spawn

Maybe Havik will be the Fujin of MK12 for once. Armgeddon will be close to 20 years by the time when MK12 comes out making it the longest time that a character like Havik has been in a new game.

Commander

I'm not holding my breath for that AT ALL.
It took Fujin being requested since prior to MK9 (the end of MKvsDC cycle) for him to finally be added in.....10 goddamn years later.

This fanbase will cry and moan for their klassic characters and that's who NRS will continue to put in every game.
During the time of MKXL people were hoping for a KP3 and who did they ask for?......Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Rain, Baraka, Kabal, Nightwolf, Sindel and Jade. What a coincidence that ALL 8 of those klassic characters somehow made it into MK11. /s

Yes, people also asked for Fujin, Sareena, Reiko and Havik but only Fujin made it into MK11...and even then, again, it took 10 years before he finally made an appearance.

Who did people want for an MK11 potential KP3?.....Ermac, human Smoke, Reptile, Cyrax, Sektor, Reiko, Havik and Sareena.

Who's most likely to make the cut out of those?....The first 5 that I mentioned.

I'd be surprised at this point if either Reiko, Havik or Sareena made it in. MK11 made it abundantly clear that they wish to reduce the number of MKX new characters and 3D era characters, have an increase in guest characters and would rather have the same MK1 through UMK3 characters.
I hate to come off as a pessimist, but nah, the 3D era is fucked and they don't have the cojones to do Shang Tsung's Aftermath ending where places like ChaosRealm and Seido / OrderRealm are showcased.
The easiest / safest shit for them to do is have the GKL face Goro and win and then after 3 or 4 chapters they forward the time 500+ years to the present day with whatever lingering threat has now risen.
It's also an easy / convenient way for them to get rid of the descendant characters (if they choose to do so) and have more safe klassic characters joining the roster.

Khri$$ Javan

Oh NRS knows fans want those 3d era characters it's just the classic MK fans outnumber them.
You mean the kasuals? The kasuals outnumber the hardcore fanbase.
I dont speak for all the hardcore fans but most hardcore fans would rather see the 3D era, Lore(Hornbuckle, Tasia, Forrest Fox) an MKX-11 new characters instead of the same triliogy characters like always.

lariat

You mean the kasuals? The kasuals outnumber the hardcore fanbase.
I dont speak for all the hardcore fans but most hardcore fans would rather see the 3D era, Lore(Hornbuckle, Tasia, Forrest Fox) an MKX-11 new characters instead of the same triliogy characters like always.
“Kasuals” don’t care about ether they just want Scorpion, Subzero, Liu Kang and that’s it. The rest of the characters could all be guests or new characters for all they care. Unfortunately that’s what NRS caters to. I know a lot of people here think that NRS only cares about the Trilogy games but there was plenty of classic characters that didn’t make it into MK11. I much rather just play the characters I want instead of them just having friendships, classic skins and a extra stage. It’s just lazy nostalgia baiting imo. I have a feeling this kind of trend will continue going into MK12. A garbage or forgettable cast with all the good characters locked behind DLC. I can hardly wait.

Commander

I know a lot of people here think that NRS only cares about the Trilogy games but there was plenty of classic characters that didn’t make it into MK11.
People think that because that's what NRS has done for the last 2 games.
Almost every Trilogy character minus C/Khameleon, Smoke and Stryker have shown up in AT LEAST 2 out of the last 3 NRS made MK games, and some of them have shown up in all 3 of the NRS made MK games.
Can you really blame anyone with thinking that NRS has favoritism towards the Trilogy games when they get put in in favor of the 3D era or other characters from other eras?
When people didn't get the "missing" characters that they wanted for an MKX "KP3," then they bitched and complained on end until they were added to MK11.
Again, are you really surprised that Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Rain, Baraka, Kabal, Nightwolf, Sindel and Jade all made it into MK11 after people had been begging for those at the end of the last MK's cycle?
From MK1 through UMK3 the klassic characters that didn't show up in MK11 were only 6 characters (Cyrax, Sektor, Reptile, Ermac, Smoke and Stryker), and if we're truly being 100% honest, not many people batted an eye about Stryker being gone nor seem to give a shit about him compared to the others. 5 of those (imo) have a hell of a chance of coming to MK12.

So, yeah, this will likely continue to be the case for MK games.......... NRS will continue to put 19+ goddamn MK9 characters in each game either on the main roster or via DLC and guests because they interpret a few casual screaming at the top of their lungs to put "______________ character in via DLC" to be what the majority want and it becomes a viscous circle.

Last edited:

lariat

Characters like noob, sindel, scarlet and jade (for example) where all absent in MKX so obviously fans of those characters cried for them to be in the next game. It obvious NRS just swap certain classic characters from game to game. Their attitude seems to be ''you can't have them all so appreciate what we give you!''. I'm not going to get into the obnoxious fans over the normal people and which one NRS caters to. I'm just saying this is and will continue to be how NRS does things going forward.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
So, yeah, this will likely continue to be the case for MK games.......... NRS will continue to put 19+ goddamn MK9 characters in each game either on the main roster or via DLC and guests because they interpret a few casual screaming at the top of their lungs to put "______________ character in via DLC" to be what the majority want and it becomes a viscous circle.

I mean its for a reason. "A few casuals" is an insane understatement as far as who is demanding Trilogy characters. Hardcore fans adore those characters more than the "casuals" do lmao.

Commander

I mean its for a reason. "A few casuals" is an insane understatement as far as who is demanding Trilogy characters. Hardcore fans adore those characters more than the "casuals" do lmao.
That was in regard to the people on social media places like Twitter and Facebook who cry out for the same klassic characters, game after game.
In comparison to the whole fanbase, yes the ones who are the most vocal about it on social media are a small portion of the fans, but sure, go ahead and twist my words around.
The whole point was that NRS interprets those who are on social media and are in the vocal minority for certain klassic characters as being the "majority" and speaking for the rest of the fanbase, when that may or may not be the case. Plain and simple.
There are also (I'm sure) plenty of other people (casual and hardcore) who would love to see other characters from other eras in the game but it's just that the ones who are the loudest about it are the ones complaining because those klassics aren't in.
People will continue to complain about certain klassics that they think should be in every game, so it'll likely have less and less characters from the 3D era in them.
MK11 already has shown that they'll cater to the klassic & guest characters crowd more and aren't willing to take as many risks as they did with MKX with characters like Quan Chi, Kenshi, Shinnok, Bo Rai Cho, Tremor and Tanya. DLC and main roster for MK11....... mostly klassic characters and guests, 8 either new or MKX and 2 from the 3D era. You can see where their priorities are at, so yeah, again, there sure as hell is a reason to believe that NRS favors the Trilogy era, per my previous posts.
Out of the DLC for MK11 the only character that was any way risky was maaaaaybe Sheeva, and even then she falls under the MK3 / UMK3 umbrella of characters and has her own part in the Aftermath story mode, and the only way that you could get Aftermath for a few weeks after release was to buy the whole thing at $40.
Individual characters for Aftermath weren't purchase-able until about 4 or 5 weeks later.

Last edited:

Xenon

It's funny because the next game can bring in as many 3D/New characters as they'd like, if it's based in the past. Majority of classic characters wouldn't even be alive.

.... But of course that's not going to happen. Queue time travel and here we go with the Special Forces bullshit all over again.

In the other news, SF6 teased something like Deception Konquest mode. It's probably not as big or complex, but sure as hell beats watching YouTube cutscenes after 1v1 fights. Glad someone is trying to do something new. Will be interesting to see if NRS adapts, or we're just going to get MK11 2.0 again.

Jion_Wansu

Well, with the videos of Jaime, Luke, Chun Li, Ryu, and Guile already out and the whole Harada and Boon trolling...

People are speculating Tekken VS Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter.

SF6 gameplay is a cross between Tekken and Mortal Kombat.

Misucra

SF6 gameplay is a cross between Tekken and Mortal Kombat.

Hahaha. What?

MK/Injustice wish they had the animations and the flow of SF. I am hella skeptical about SF6, due my past experience with SF5, but even then I can still see the sheer difference in quality. You can see that art department was sweating on this. The only commong thing that MK and SF has is that they are both 2.5D fighters.

Hulydooly

Oh you finally got yours. I completely forgot I ordered one, it's been so long. Hope mines on it's way.

It looks great in the photo.

Guyver Spawn

The leaks keeps on going back and forth on the next NRS game. The Multiverses leaker claims that IJ3 is the next NRS game. Meanwhile, other people claim that MK12 is next.

Misucra

The leaks keeps on going back and forth on the next NRS game. The Multiverses leaker claims that IJ3 is the next NRS game. Meanwhile, other people claim that MK12 is next.
If you want to avoid being dragged around by so called "leaks", then just look at current situation with Warner. Warner Bros and Discovery recently became into Warner Discovery, which caused a lot of commotion within studios owned by Warner Bros. They call it a merger, but it was more or less Discovery taking over, as David Zaslav became the CEO of Warner Discovery (he was previously the CEO of Discovery) and he has been firing people left and right.

According to the reports, during the beginning stages of the merger, it wasn't clear how much of WB was going to Discovery. First it was just News media and then DC Comics, while some of Games division would remain with AT&T. But in the end it was an entire package. So if NRS was working on anything at that time, I am willing to bet it was definitely something MK related or something of their own. Much safer bet. As at one point it seemed that NRS would stay with AT&T while DC Comics would go to Discovery. So imagine if they were working on Injustice 3 and suddenly NRS lost DC license?

Though again, I could be wrong, but during commotion like this (and commotion does happen, as everyone is freaking out about their jobs and shit), it would be just safer to work on something that is attached to your studio.

Commander

Both are safe bets, but then again, so is a new IP like a supposed "Marvel vs DC" game, and I put that in quotations because that's just people speculating with no actual evidence to it.
An IP like that, IF TRUE, could sell itself with very little marketing because by now everyone and their mother knows who characters like The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Doc Oc, Lizard, Loki, Thanos, Deadpool, Colossus, Juggernaut, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, Steppenwolf, Lex Luthor and The Joker are.
You would have had to been living under a rock for the last 14 years to not know any that of those characters were either in the MCU, DCEU or Joaquin Phoenix's movie.