Future of MK

Xenon

So WB is getting a purge of executives and Discovery is taking over. Anyone want to make bets if that will influence NRS way of doing things?
"I'm not waiting centuries for the people to get woke!" - NRS, 2k19

"I'm not waiting centuries for your parent company to start making a profit." - Discovery, 2k22

Misucra

O there's a future for MK just be careful what you wish for....
I wish for an expanded MK Lore, detailed world maps of each realm. In merchandise form too, so I could buy them and hang them in my home. I wish for consistent storylines and fleshed out backgrounds. I want characters and world to feel alive, as if it was a functioning world.

Here is my wish. So according to the current nature of gaming industry, my wish will be granted in a complete 180 way.

No lore, no worthwhile merch, no passion or effort put into MK world.

Hence. No future.

BBBLP

Robot Rock

Here's an update on the upcoming Mileena 1:3 statue from PopCultureShock. I love that they're using the lipped design.
I managed to get the MKX one a few months ago from a guy in France. I had to hit up my homeboy in Sweden to get it through customs for me tho lol.

I'm still waiting on the Kintaro figure from Storm Collectibles. I wonder if they might cancel it. I was originally supposed to come out November of last year, then it got pushed to February this year, then March now there's no update as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure the Motaro one sold terribly, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just cut Kintaro completely.

Misucra

Here's an update on the upcoming Mileena 1:3 statue from PopCultureShock. I love that they're using the lipped design.
I managed to get the MKX one a few months ago from a guy in France. I had to hit up my homeboy in Sweden to get it through customs for me tho lol.

I'm still waiting on the Kintaro figure from Storm Collectibles. I wonder if they might cancel it. I was originally supposed to come out November of last year, then it got pushed to February this year, then March now there's no update as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure the Motaro one sold terribly, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just cut Kintaro completely.
That's dope. I see you're also a man of culture and appreciate the superiority of lipped Mileena design.

"I'm pretty sure the Motaro one sold terribly,"

Wouldn't be a problem if they put the dude in the damn game.

Commander

Wouldn't be a problem if they put the dude in the damn game.
Just like I don't see Dominic doing anything interesting for the future of the MK lore, I also don't see that happening.
Seems weird to me that they haven't been able to put Motaro in an MK game as a fightable opponent with 4 legs since the 2D sprite era.

As for the $70 DLC pack (aka MK12)..... Nah.
With them constantly neglecting the 3D era and mainly focusing on klassic characters as guests for DLC, I'll just wait until the XL / Ultimate edition of the game comes out and goes down to $40 and just get it then.
I've grown sick and tired of being an early adopter of these NRS made MK games only for them to have the story go nowhere, repeat the same goddamn klassic male ninja costumes from 2 games ago, build up these "next generation" descendants only for them not to do much with them and keep putting out this fodder of "new" henchmen that are either useless (overall) or fucking killed off in the very next game.
Seemed like MKX was when this franchise was going to going to go in a new cool direction, but nope.... hit the fucking reset button Liu Kang, because we wrote ourselves into a corner once again.
So now it'll be a reboot but instead of from the time of MK1 ( ala MK9) it'll likely be the Liu Kang ending of the GKL / Goro Tournament (ala MK12).
3 games then a reboot to start all over again.... Rinse and repeat.... Get money.

Misucra

Just like I don't see Dominic doing anything interesting for the future of the MK lore, I also don't see that happening.
Seems weird to me that they haven't been able to put Motaro in an MK game as a fightable opponent with 4 legs since the 2D sprite era.

As for the $70 DLC pack (aka MK12)..... Nah.
With them constantly neglecting the 3D era and mainly focusing on klassic characters as guests for DLC, I'll just wait until the XL / Ultimate edition of the game comes out and goes down to $40 and just get it then.
I've grown sick and tired of being an early adopter of these NRS made MK games only for them to have the story go nowhere, repeat the same goddamn klassic male ninja costumes from 2 games ago, build up these "next generation" descendants only for them not to do much with them and keep putting out this fodder of "new" henchmen that are either useless (overall) or fucking killed off in the very next game.
Seemed like MKX was when this franchise was going to going to go in a new cool direction, but nope.... hit the fucking reset button Liu Kang, because we wrote ourselves into a corner once again.
So now it'll be a reboot but instead of from the time of MK1 ( ala MK9) it'll likely be the Liu Kang ending of the GKL / Goro Tournament (ala MK12).
3 games then a reboot to start all over again.... Rinse and repeat.... Get money.
I can bet my ass cheeks, that they won't follow up MK11 ending.

They made it pretty clear that MK story is finished. This iteration that is. They won't be building anything from it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are building a different kind of game. Taking a break from MK storyline. And even if it is another MK game, I only see them doing some spin off.

Though wouldn't be surprised if "Remasters" are coming.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
They could make Motaro. They just don't want to. They always said the reason they never had Reptile use his tail is because of "technical limitations" then they saw how many people were willing pay for Alien and made damn sure they made it work lol

Misucra

They could make Motaro. They just don't want to. They always said the reason they never had Reptile use his tail is because of "technical limitations" then they saw how many people were willing pay for Alien and made damn sure they made it work lol
It is amazing really.

They want to make money, but they don't make the things that could make actual money. Unless it is 100% guaranteed, that they will get thousands of sales, they don't wanna hear about it. No effort to build up the brand or hype. Just use what people know already. Never take the risk or innovate.

Bunch of cowards.

lariat

He will most likely be preorder bonus dlc similar in the way they had Goro for MKX and Shao Khan for MK11. WBs are all about those preorder sales.

Commander

It is amazing really.

They want to make money, but they don't make the things that could make actual money. Unless it is 100% guaranteed, that they will get thousands of sales, they don't wanna hear about it. No effort to build up the brand or hype. Just use what people know already. Never take the risk or innovate.

Bunch of cowards.
Which is why a soft reboot starting from the Aftermath ending makes sense, imo, where they introduce MK again to a new generation of gamers that may not have played MK9 over 11 years ago, while still keeping the canon of MK11 intact.
Klassic shit is what the fandom wants, and therefore they likely won't risk or innovate using Shang Tsung's ending and re-introduce more characters from that later era.
The easiest shit for them to do with the MK franchise at this point is to hit the reset button, given that all of that original lore was written out by Tobias and Vogel and the whole Great Kung Lao stuff has long been established.
Plus, isn't wrecking established lore what Dominic does best?

Misucra

Which is why a soft reboot starting from the Aftermath ending makes sense, imo, where they introduce MK again to a new generation of gamers that may not have played MK9 over 11 years ago, while still keeping the canon of MK11 intact.
Klassic shit is what the fandom wants, and therefore they likely won't risk or innovate using Shang Tsung's ending and re-introduce more characters from that later era.
The easiest shit for them to do with the MK franchise at this point is to hit the reset button, given that all of that original lore was written out by Tobias and Vogel and the whole Great Kung Lao stuff has long been established.
Plus, isn't wrecking established lore what Dominic does best?
That's assuming that Dominic will be even working as story writer at that point. I wouldn't be surprised if he got replaced by someone else already.

Commander

That's assuming that Dominic will be even working as story writer at that point. I wouldn't be surprised if he got replaced by someone else already.

Kinda hoping that's the case and that Vogel goes back to leading with writing again.

Tarkatan Trash and I usually didn't see eye to eye on things, but the games' stories were better when Vogel and Brian Chard at least had a hand in writing them, imo. MK11 though smells of purely being written by Dominic with some stuff being written by Kittelsen, but the Kittelsen you could tell (or at least I could tell) was written by him because it coincided with the MKX comics which Dominic had dismissed as being "head-canon."
Fuck that shit.

Makes me think that Aftermath was mainly Kittelsen since the comics stuff for Sheeva made sense and some of the stuff for characters like Nightwolf and Fujin (which usually don't get much spotlight in mainstream stuff) also followed Kittelsen's way of bringing characters like Reiko, Havik and Daegon to life and giving them more prominent roles in this new timeline.
Dunno, maybe that's just how I'm interpreting it, though.

Misucra

Kinda hoping that's the case and that Vogel goes back to leading with writing again.

Tarkatan Trash and I usually didn't see eye to eye on things, but the games' stories were better when Vogel and Brian Chard at least had a hand in writing them, imo. MK11 though smells of purely being written by Dominic with some stuff being written by Kittelsen, but the Kittelsen you could tell (or at least I could tell) was written by him because it coincided with the MKX comics which Dominic had dismissed as being "head-canon."
Fuck that shit.

Makes me think that Aftermath was mainly Kittelsen since the comics stuff for Sheeva made sense and some of the stuff for characters like Nightwolf and Fujin (which usually don't get much spotlight in mainstream stuff) also followed Kittelsen's way of bringing characters like Reiko, Havik and Daegon to life and giving them more prominent roles in this new timeline.
Dunno, maybe that's just how I'm interpreting it, though.
I think Vogel retired for good. And to be honest even he didn't show much of the improvement (sure better, than Dominic or Kittelsen, but that isn't really a standard to compare to). Even in MK9 you could see that writing suffered quite a bit. I think Tobias leaving hit MK the most. He was the guy that brought in the vision. He was THE Lore Master.

I will say this forever. MK 3D Era was the peak for MK Lore. Since that time, it was going downwards.