Future of MK

Misucra

The only 2 issues that I'd have with this are that 1) Scorpion isn't a mantle like Sub-Zero and 2) the furthest back that Sub-Zero's Cryomancer ancestry goes back is 8 generations (or 200 years).
So, that would mean another retcon like the 2021 MK movie did with Sub-Zero and Scorpion and after the shitty writing for MK11, I'm not really trusting Dominic in his writing. I'm pretty fed up with his incessant need to shit on the established lore.
@Tarkatan Trash, it was the Sub-Zero Mythologies bio that said the Cryomancer went back 8 generations, right?
(I need to bookmark that website.)
Sooo... If Cryomancers go 200-250 years back... and they are Edenians, cause Sindel has banished them from Edenia... yet Edenia was conquered 10k+ years ago, cause Kitana was still a baby/child back when Shao Kahn conquered it, soooo... then... eeeerrr.... what?

Commander

Sooo... If Cryomancers go 200-250 years back... and they are Edenians, cause Sindel has banished them from Edenia... yet Edenia was conquered 10k+ years ago, cause Kitana was still a baby/child back when Shao Kahn conquered it, soooo... then... eeeerrr.... what?
Then that right there would be a prime example of the retcon horseshit that Dominic wants to shove down everyone's throats, along with cuckold King Jerrod and Kabal's trash retcon.
So far, Mythologies: Sub-Zero canon has been kept in tact (for the most part). *knock on wood*

EDIT: So far that's just been an intro line fodder in MK11 and nothing else.

Last edited:

Kitty_55

I dunno which game has it worse with retcons, Mortal Kombat or League of Legends.

So. Many. Retcons. Just. Write. A. Straight. Forward. Goddamn. Story.

Fucking time travel shenanigans.

Xenon

Simple. Edenia was not conquered 10k years go, it was last Tuesdsay. Also it wasn't Shao Kahn, but Sindel. Kitana only looks 20, judge the book by its cover, else Sindel is going to back stab killed-by-D'Vorah Jerrod again because that tool forgot about his privilege, and Shao Kahn is just the better man. As for Cryomancers, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were fighting from the dawn of time. MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

Don't ask questions, get hyped and consume product.

Commander

Simple. Edenia was not conquered 10k years go, it was last Tuesdsay. Also it wasn't Shao Kahn, but Sindel. Kitana only looks 20, judge the book by its cover, else Sindel is going to back stab killed-by-D'Vorah Jerrod again because that tool forgot about his privilege, and Shao Kahn is just the better man. As for Cryomancers, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were fighting from the dawn of time. MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

Don't ask questions, get hyped and consume product.
THIS! Lol
This is exactly what I don't want to happen, but it seems to perfectly capture what likely goes through Dominic's head when writing this garbage.

Jion_Wansu

I posted my take on the MK lore like 10 or 15 years go in timeline format but it's missing (got nuked from the Internet). Can't find it on trmk or mortalkombatonline. The "here" link doesn't work anymore:

Commander

Xbox version was the better version, anyways (imo), since it didn't have fucking Kratos in it.
It was the Cyrax, Mileena and Kabal show at the end with that last patch, though, iirc.
Could have sworn that Cyrax's invisible bombs were never fixed, unless I'm somehow misremembering.
If I ever pick up MK9 on a Series X or S, though, it'll be because a few IRL friends want to play some matches again.
Otherwise, nah, I'll just wait until whatever game is next and buy it when the Aftermath equivalent comes out.

lariat

It also seems that Microsoft has put the brakes on all BC going forward. I guess their getting tired of forking out the big bucks for licensing rights to games no one plays anymore. A Sad day for old gamers but you can thank all those filthy casuals that WB loves so much for that. At least MK9 got through at all before Microsoft put the chopping block down. Shaolin monks fans were robbed....Again.https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...mes-program-ends-today-no-more-games.1623841/

Last edited:

Xenon

Xbox version was the better version, anyways (imo), since it didn't have fucking Kratos in it.
It was the Cyrax, Mileena and Kabal show at the end with that last patch, though, iirc.
Could have sworn that Cyrax's invisible bombs were never fixed, unless I'm somehow misremembering.
If I ever pick up MK9 on a Series X or S, though, it'll be because a few IRL friends want to play some matches again.
Otherwise, nah, I'll just wait until whatever game is next and buy it when the Aftermath equivalent comes out.
Mileena wasn't that good, Sonya however.... Cyrax didn't have invisible bombs either, not that I recall.

Reddit's like: "this is HUGE!!!". How?.... One console platform... got a 10 year old game... 🤣 I swear.... Also I'm pretty sure that the MK9 servers for consoles got shut down a long time ago, while ironically it still works on PC. Plus people are saying it's just the base game with no DLC (no Skarlet etc). Yup, this is massive.

Last edited:

lariat

Mileena wasn't that good, Sonya however.... Cyrax didn't have invisible bombs either, not that I recall.

Reddit's like: "this is HUGE!!!". How?.... One console platform... got a 10 year old game... 🤣 I swear.... Also I'm pretty sure that the MK9 servers for consoles got shut down a long time ago, while ironically it still works on PC. Plus people are saying it's just the base game with no DLC (no Skarlet etc). Yup, this is massive.
Yeah Mileena was high mid tier at best during the final days of MK9's patch life. If you didn't main or had a side Kabal, Kenshi, Cyrax, Sonya back than you weren't winning any tournaments. Even perfect legend in his prime had a pocket Kabal lol.
As far as people losing their minds over a butchered version of MK9. It just shows what little regard these companies have over Backwards compatibility. Even Microsoft (who used to yell from the mountain tops about the importance of BC ) threw in the towel and Sadly the gaming community doesn't seem to care ether. I hope you enjoy paying full price for remasters and remakes going forward because that's all you're getting.

Last edited:

Commander

Cyrax didn't have invisible bombs either, not that I recall.

He sure did have invisible bombs, and this was 2 years after MK9 came out, so with the last patch it was still there....

As for Mileena, yeah, a lot of people picked her up along with Cyrax and Kabal for Tournaments, back in the day.

As for the MK9 KE and it being BC, supposedly if you uninstall and reinstall the KE it works on Xbox One according to a user on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/qvu9sj
Not sure what this means for MK9 DLC on the Series S, though.

Xenon

He sure did have invisible bombs, and this was 2 years after MK9 came out, so with the last patch it was still there....

As for Mileena, yeah, a lot of people picked her up along with Cyrax and Kabal for Tournaments, back in the day.

As for the MK9 KE and it being BC, supposedly if you uninstall and reinstall the KE it works on Xbox One according to a user on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/qvu9sj
Not sure what this means for MK9 DLC on the Series S, though.

Ah, I see what you've meant, didn't know they were called that way.

Still best character ever, when you're not on the receiving end.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I'm praying we get some confirmation on NRS' next project at the game awards. I really don't give a fuck if MK12 is just a rehash of MK11, I'll take Mortal Kombat ANYTHING over a AAA Injustice full effort game. Inj2 killed so much of my interest in that series

CF7

No one from my class (as far as I know), ended up in Crytek. (To be fair could be lack of skill or interest, as that Academy didn't prepare you for shit.)
That's sad to hear, man.
Yeah, if Mortal Kombat 12 can be in the um.... Great Kung Lao era
Well, they do have 50+ martial arts animations from the MKA era, at the very least, to do it. How many of those martial arts existed 500 years ago, though?
Yep, and Stryker also defeating Reptile, Mileena and Ermac single-handedly.
How can anyone besides Raiden and the bosses be able to defeat Ermac, that's the great question.
If they made Soldiers wear armor, that was covered in protective charms and their weapons were blessed by the Monks (with inscriptions being present on the weapons themselves as well), then it would look completely different.
That's a nice idea.
Meanwhile PC MKKE is still removed due to "Freddy rights I guess!". So much for that theory.... 🤣
Speaking of which, more recently, the screenwritters of Friday the 13th managed to win back (part of) it's rights;

While the screenwriters of the Predator seem to be about to recover theirs;

So what is the actual reason behind MK2011? Scarcity=bigger sales?

Xenon

So what is the actual reason behind MK2011? Scarcity=bigger sales?

We can speculate all we want, but until an official reason will be given... And we all know that's not going to happen.

Freddy made some sense, but as I mentioned before that fucker also exists in the Mobile game and it's just fine. Could be a different contract, but even then that doesn't explain what will happen if it "expires" or whatever. Does he get taken out, even though people paid $/unlocked him? Does the entire game gets taken off the store? (Yeah, right! As if the money printer is going to get unplugged....)

Could be WB being WB and removing it from the store to make sure nobody buys it over MK11. The timing is there, MK11 is basically rehashed MK9 (arguable), and as Ed himself said some time ago, MK11 still hasn't outsold MKX, even with all the constant crazy discounts. Didn't happen with X because that game flat out outsold both.

Then there's the wokeness. WB is ultra woke, so it's not from the realm of impossibility for them to remove it just because MK9 is anything but woke. After all, we have companies like WB taking old movies, and actually digitally censoring them at this point... Tarkatan_Trash always screamed about having Physical Media, and he was right. MK9 only solidified this point to the extreme.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Yeah they have no clue what to do with Ermac lol. Dude is like a max level threat, but they also want him to be a jobber.

Remember in MKX when the rebellion ambushed Kotal with a roadblock, and to remove it Ermac was seen using his extremely powerful telekinesis, to move a single 10 pound box.

Misucra

Yeah they have no clue what to do with Ermac lol. Dude is like a max level threat, but they also want him to be a jobber.

Remember in MKX when the rebellion ambushed Kotal with a roadblock, and to remove it Ermac was seen using his extremely powerful telekinesis, to move a single 10 pound box.
Oh gods, I remember that. That was so painful to watch. It wasn't even funny, just painful. Could have been shown instead lifting entire barrier and then being interrupted by Tarkatans. Hell they could have played this in such smart way too. They could have dropped a statue on the caravan and Ermac could stop it from falling, but he wouldn't be able to do anything else, due statue's sheer size taking all of his power to keep it from crashing on everyone and then Mileena could have used the opening to attack.