Future of MK

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Both Cassie defeating Shinnok and Stryker beating Kintaro were stupid.
The Cage's ridiculous Ass Pull plot armor ability. Which was hilariously absent in MK11 when Shao Kahn beats the fuck out of the whole family and tells them he's going to use them as breeding material. Pretty sure that'd be a good time to turn on your power of friendship Johnny

Xenon

And Kung Jin owned Kotal in X, who then only got an L after L until his death.... And Kitana owned Shao in 11, essentially making all MK games pointless....

Haven't we already agreed that the "power levels" or whatever in NuMK make no bloody sense?

I always laughed at all the people who hated on Stryker in MK3 -MK9 but lost their minds over Cassie Cage in MKX and MK11. If you stop and think about it she's basically a variation of Stryker's moveset with a shadow kick thrown in. There's literally zero reason for Stryker to exsist in MK's current universe because of her IMO . Even if by some chance NRS brought him back he just be a watered down version of Cassie Cage.
You can say the same about Skarlet/Nitara, who thanks to MK11, are basically the same character. Won't stop people begging for both...

Commander

Both Cassie defeating Shinnok and Stryker beating Kintaro were stupid.
Yep, and Stryker also defeating Reptile, Mileena and Ermac single-handedly.
Dude with a gun, baton and grenades vs someone with the power of a thousand souls inside.
The one with guns, baton and grenades wins. Ok, sure.

Klassic characters shouldn't automatically get a pass from the fanbase (in general, using this type of logic) just because they've been around longer.
I'm not harping on you at all @BBBLP, but this tends to be the fanbase mentality when this stuff comes up between Cassie vs klassic characters.
If it's good for the goose then it's good for the gander.
This is why this whole trying to apply realism into MK is stupid.
It's as stupid as thinking that characters in MK will stay dead forever.

Kitty_55

Hence why anything Special Forces and others related to them should like... go away for a while and let magic and martial arts be the main focus for a bit.

That whole entire opening in 11 where you have a bunch of Special Forces soldiers fighting the demons of Hell angered me because there shouldn't be any survivors. You have demon spawn spewing molten lava out of their mouths for a fireball at a fast pace and supposedly a high-tech gun kills it with one bullet? I call bullshit.

As someone who plays a lot of fantasy-like games where demons are in, I've never seen it be where a lot of the demonic creatures Hell has to offer is incredibly weak to defend against a weaker species than they are. Like, the entirety of Hell in Mortal Kombat feels like they're incredibly weak beings minus the stars of it like Shinnok and Quan Chi. That's... it.

Xenon

Well, that's the problem as to why introducing guns in MK is a bad idea..... Guns are the Great Equaliser. Makes sense why demons would drop dead from them, considering you can also throw a few average looking kicks and punches to knock them out just as easily. Just look at Aftermath and how easily they got dispatched by rather lame martial arts, they're fodder and nothing else. Revenant Jade makes that clear.

...But then at the same time, Sonya dodges Erron's guns at point blank range by doing extremely average cartwheels, Cassie dodges a Minigun by just casually jogging, Nightwolf cuts a bullet with his axe and JC runs into machinegun fire while holding a shield. That's basically MK11 in a nutshell - it's full of shit and has no idea what it's doing.

Commander

I don't mind Special Forces related characters, but it's the gun-heavy shit that's been added to them in the last few games that seem to be a bit out of hand by now.....

Like, why the fuck does Sonya need a goddamn drone in MKX and a turret in MK11?
What was wrong with building on the MK3 / MK9 / MK4 version?
Same thing goes for Jax:
Why the fuck does he need a machine gun and rocket in MKX and the thumper in MK11?

Y'know, I get it with Cassie because she's supposed to be the younger generation that's more tech-savvy / constantly glued to their phone and on social media so a drone and other weapons makes sense. Ok, got it.
Takeda was also special forces, so that's also proof that just because they're special forces characters doesn't mean that they all need guns.

Misucra

Hence why anything Special Forces and others related to them should like... go away for a while and let magic and martial arts be the main focus for a bit.

That whole entire opening in 11 where you have a bunch of Special Forces soldiers fighting the demons of Hell angered me because there shouldn't be any survivors. You have demon spawn spewing molten lava out of their mouths for a fireball at a fast pace and supposedly a high-tech gun kills it with one bullet? I call bullshit.

As someone who plays a lot of fantasy-like games where demons are in, I've never seen it be where a lot of the demonic creatures Hell has to offer is incredibly weak to defend against a weaker species than they are. Like, the entirety of Hell in Mortal Kombat feels like they're incredibly weak beings minus the stars of it like Shinnok and Quan Chi. That's... it.
The problem isn't Special Forces, but the world itself. Or the world building in this case. NRS in their complete and utter incompetence and laziness, decided to use our Earth, as a template for Earthrealm. Instead of creating something that would match the theme of MK.

They use our world's military units as their defense force and those units use default M4 assault rifles to fight demons. It simply cheapens entire thing. If they made Soldiers wear armor, that was covered in protective charms and their weapons were blessed by the Monks (with inscriptions being present on the weapons themselves as well), then it would look completely different.

If Stryker wasn't dressed, as your typical Hollywood Street Cop with a gun, but was part of militarized police force that prioritized hand to hand combat, and he worked there in Riot Department, then I could believe on him taking on Kintaro. Not with baton and cheap explosives, but instead using precision based attacks on Kintaro weak points. Joints, Jaw, etc. Using a portable high tech shield to protect him from Kintaro's fire. Drop a flashbang to blind Kintaro. Use his renforced gloves and boots to hit Kintaro, where it hurts. I could believe about Stryker taking down Kintaro, if the fight had both skill and intelligence to it.

If overall be it police or special forces were shown to operate in a different manner from our world. If Earthrealm was a world where Martial Arts and Ki/Chi were a common knowledge and mixed with modern tech, then I could see an interesting world.

Instead NRS just copy pasted our world map, put our military gear and used our military tactics against beings from another world... It just looks stupid.

As for Firearms. They have no place in Martial Arts tournament to begin with. Firearm is a weapon, that you can use to protect or harm someone. Martial Arts is about making your body into a weapon. Swords/Spears/Chains are tools that act as your body extension, as for them to work, your body has to be in sync with them. But Firearm? Once you learn the basics at the same day, it is just point and shoot. It requires almost no body movement. Hell for it to be most effective, you have to be stationary. Adding firearms into a Martial Arts Tournament was the dumbest idea NRS had.

Also Cyborgs don't count, as their bodies are literal weapons of high tech world.

Last edited:

Misucra

Back on the rumour mill, Apparently, Nvidia doesn't understand or care how NDAs work
A ton of new games with release dates have leaked. Injustice 3 gods will fall and MK12 are both listed (Lmao their releasing months from each other ). Someone from the PC community can chime in on this. I'm guessing it's fake but here it is none the less.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hund...may-have-been-leaked-again-on-nvidia.1622813/
Doesn't really make sense. MK12 and Injustice 2 release dates are only 3 months apart. Either they simply don't care about post game support or one of the games is being made by another Studio and they just don't show it here. Also it could be just that they are in planning stages.

I think the easiest way to check if this is real, is to wait for new game announcements and then just check the list.

Xenon

BBBLP

Robot Rock
The MK world was fucked the second this happened

zb7kq0brpzv21.jpg

I don't know what in the hell happened to NRS when they joined WB, but the gun fascination is fucking insane. When you have Tarkatans fighting soldiers using shotguns and rifles, you've completely failed your source material. Its horrendous what this game's lore has become. Thats why I so desperately want MK12 to take place during the first tournament. Not a single gun in sight please.

Xenon

I dunno, in MK9 they basically made it so Kano and his buttbuddies sold a ton of weapons to Outworlders, so they could own Earthrealmers, who already were armed to the teeth. Gave Kano a purpose. It actually makes sense and iirc not a new concept, didn't he sell nukes or something to them before NuMK?

Hell, we had this:

0n3t6nk6glj41.jpg

Besides, it was only limited to Story Mode cutscenes. If anything, MK9 got it right. Neither MK9 Sonya or Jax had guns in their gameplay, only Stryker. Then comes in MK11 who decides everyone and their grandma needs a machinegun.

Last edited:

Commander

The MK world was fucked the second this happened

zb7kq0brpzv21.jpg

I don't know what in the hell happened to NRS when they joined WB, but the gun fascination is fucking insane. When you have Tarkatans fighting soldiers using shotguns and rifles, you've completely failed your source material. Its horrendous what this game's lore has become. Thats why I so desperately want MK12 to take place during the first tournament. Not a single gun in sight please.
I actually hope it takes place in the Great Kung Lao era, 500 years prior to MK1...... 0 guns.

Maybe Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Raiden and some of the other "necessary" characters (so that people don't have a shit fit) get sucked into a portal and / or Liu Kang somehow teleports them to the past with him and the guns of the SF disintegrate folks after passing through the time lapse, kind of like in Portal 2 when you tried to pass a Companion Cube through to the elevator.
[In GLaDOS voice] "I think that one was about to say 'I love you.' They ARE sentient, of course. We just have a LOT of them."

Kitty_55

I try to block out everything of MK9 as much as possible.

That scene is the second scene in video game history that made me laugh too hard I thought my internal organs were going to burst.

Sadly, it was outbeaten by the mutant baby death in RE:Village. Purposely died to it just to see what the kill was going to be like, had me in stitches. Was not terrified by it once, just... laughing really hard throughout that entire sequence.

To add what Commander said about being in the Great Kung Lao era with having Sub-Zero and Scorpion, I'd like to have some sort of ancestor of theirs to be in instead of having Kuai and Hanzo. It'd be an interesting take to have like maybe everyone excluding Raiden and Liu Kang be brand spanking new to the roster.

Xenon

Just having new characters for the sake of it is a recipe for disaster. MKX had 8, and most of them sucked ass or continued to suck ass in 11. Same for Deception or any other game. It's a bit funny some people keep begging for new characters, as if Midway/NRS haven't been doing that for 11 games. Most of them turned out to be forgettable trash because they've never got any time for development, let alone good development.

Ironically, most classic characters who "hoard" the roaster again and again are still cardboard cutouts with stories as shallow as a piss puddle.

Last edited:

Hulydooly

I wouldn't put too much hope in the next game being set in the Great Kung Lao era. If the past 2 mk games are anything to go by, they'll dedicate the first chapter of the storymode to the interesting ending of the previous game and just throw it out the window, because they think it's too predictable or something.

Nickolaidas

Trash. Nickolaidas is that jackass that lives and breathes off every rumor on the MK Leaks reddit.
He's been spewing fake shit for years at this point, he just likes attention
Actually, I'm the jackass who would reply to 95% of any rumor of the mk leaks subreddit with 'fake as fuck'.

The only reason me and some other people were willing to take this Sally person a bit more seriously than the rest was some of the answers she gave us over my discord in order to check her credibility. Answers which would not be given by a rando who wanted to make a fake 4chan leak.

We're still not sold on her story 100%, and we suspect the cheating boyfriend story is a front, but her story holds a little more weight than the others.

And yes, the skin names are a red flag, not debating this at all.

Commander

To add what Commander said about being in the Great Kung Lao era with having Sub-Zero and Scorpion, I'd like to have some sort of ancestor of theirs to be in instead of having Kuai and Hanzo. It'd be an interesting take to have like maybe everyone excluding Raiden and Liu Kang be brand spanking new to the roster.
The only 2 issues that I'd have with this are that 1) Scorpion isn't a mantle like Sub-Zero and 2) the furthest back that Sub-Zero's Cryomancer ancestry goes back is 8 generations (or 200 years).
So, that would mean another retcon like the 2021 MK movie did with Sub-Zero and Scorpion and after the shitty writing for MK11, I'm not really trusting Dominic in his writing. I'm pretty fed up with his incessant need to shit on the established lore.
@Tarkatan Trash, it was the Sub-Zero Mythologies bio that said the Cryomancer went back 8 generations, right?
(I need to bookmark that website.)

Last edited:

Hulydooly

I wouldn't be surprised if the first chapter is this. With God Kangs special guidance Great Kung Lao wins the mk tournament, destroys Goro, becomes champion. Then we time skip to current era probably mk1.

Reboot ready to go.

I don't see NRS doing anything remotely creative with the current writing they're known for.

Commander

If they do start at the 500 years prior to the MK1 Tournament and then move forward in time, then ideally I'd even love to see GKL and Goro becoming allies, since at least Aftermath showed that without Shang Tsung's direct influence the Shokan can be good allies to have.

I'm NOT holding my breath for something like that, though. At the very least, @Hulydooly, your scenario seems more plausible.

Alternatively, I also don't see them (unfortunately) going the Shang Tsung wins route and having Seido / OrderRealm and ChaosRealm being shown in the next game. They don't seem to have the fortitude to do that, as they'll bend to the whim of anyone who cries for a klassic character, so Hotaru and Havik will probably get fucked over yet again.