Future of MK

BBBLP

Robot Rock
The idea is that the person who signed the NDA gets punished (the cheater), and she gets away scot-free.

The biggest red flag with this "leak" is how specific that person was with costume names. That DVD kid had more creativity, wrote an entire Epic for a "leak".

Right, I get that, but the "cheater" didn't get their name, or even their "undisclosed role" leaked. So who exactly is going to get punished? Because apparently this dude has information from every single department at NRS

Xenon

Eh, "every single department" is a stretch. It also wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who broke the NDA, I think it even said in the ragepost that the cheater was up the corporate ladder by quite a bit.

It's most likely a pile of shit anyways, just like the DVD Kid leaks.

Commander

The biggest red flag with this "leak" is how specific that person was with costume names. That DVD kid had more creativity, wrote an entire Epic for a "leak".
That (among other stuff) was what also made me go "Yeah, right."
It's be believable if the person writing it was like "Oh, it looked like some of the MK9 and MKX costumes are in it as well."
To know the individual names the skins is where it felt like that person was trying WAAAAY too hard to sound convincing.
That person would have had to write things down or has the best memory in the world, both of which seem unlikely.
This smells of more horse-shit like with that "disgruntled NRS employee" a while back that was like "Oh, I'm treated like shit here.... So KP3 will be Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke, Reptile and Ermac with a bunch of the stages from the Retrocade being added as well."
Mmm-hmm, sure they are. :LOL:

Misucra

Eh, "every single department" is a stretch. It also wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who broke the NDA, I think it even said in the ragepost that the cheater was up the corporate ladder by quite a bit.

It's most likely a pile of shit anyways, just like the DVD Kid leaks.
With the amount info that has been dropped... yeah that would be all departments. Story, stages, characters. No fookin way a character artist, programmer or even game designer would know all of that.

It is a guaranteed bullshit with not a single chance of being true.

Xenon

"Story, stages, characters" != all departments. No where did it say that the cheater was a character artist either, as I mentioned, apparently he was up the corporate ladder by quite a bit.

Misucra

"Story, stages, characters" != all departments. No where did it say that the cheater was a character artist either, as I mentioned, apparently he was up the corporate ladder by quite a bit.
The only people that can know this kind of shit, sit at the table with CEO. That's the only place, where all the info gets put onto the table. Which is very probable to be less than 10 people. All those people make enough money to not have "home offices" and all of them are DEFINITELY not within the age of having a GF, so unless Ed Boon was having a side chick, these leaks are bullshit.

I mean come on. We have seen how actual leaks look like. We get screenshots, we get emails. It is an insult to intelligence to even think that there is a slight possibility of any of this shit being true. This "My mom/my bf/my uncle" shit is just for naive redditors that like to kill time by speculating.

Last edited:

Commander

I guess someone else decided to make another mock post for the gullible. :LOL:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/q3d739
EDIT:
Meanwhile, I may eventually pick up the Nickelodeon All Star Brawl game.
Looks like fun and it's made by Ludosity (who made SlapCity), so I may wait for the price to go down and see what other eventual DLC comes for it down the road. Seems like Leonardo's hit-box is a bit broken from day 1, but I imagine that they'll tweak stuff like that.
People seem to like it so far.

Last edited:

Misucra

Well one thing I can say for sure, though. Next MK game is a reboot.

Recently I have been seeing more people talking about how MK12 will have Liu Kang as the new God and replace Raiden.... Ahahahahaha... right sure.

lariat

I rather them just remake mk9 since that was basically a reboot. The dream of getting all the older games on the current systems is long dead so this is the best I can hope for.

Xenon

Why would you want an MK9 remake? They're just going to fuck it all up. NRS has now a track record and MK9 is too good to be fucked up by NRS. I'd rather have the game be exactly the way it is now: unable to purchase, yet held in high regard by the community (but not NRS).

Eyeballistic is trying to remake the original Trilogy on Unreal 5. They've even met with Ed Boon who fully supported them, but were told to bugger off by WokeBros. Here: https://www.change.org/p/ben-bell-kickstart-campaign-for-mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-with-ue5

Misucra

Why would you want an MK9 remake? They're just going to fuck it all up. NRS has now a track record and MK9 is too good to be fucked up by NRS. I'd rather have the game be exactly the way it is now: unable to purchase, yet held in high regard by the community (but not NRS).

Eyeballistic is trying to remake the original Trilogy on Unreal 5. They've even met with Ed Boon who fully supported them, but were told to bugger off by WokeBros. Here: https://www.change.org/p/ben-bell-kickstart-campaign-for-mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-with-ue5
No shit, they got fucked. Kickstarting a remake of an IP that you don't own is copyright infringement. Even if WB was all nice and dandy about it, they still couldn't allow this from legal standpoint.

The only way you can legally make a game by using someone's else IP, is if the game is completely non profit. You haven't used the said IP to gain any money (be it through Kickstarter or direct payment) and not a single asset is taken from the IP holder. Basically if you make an MK game, but the logo, character designs, environment and the rest of assets are completely custom, then the company can only come for the names that they own. Which would put them at legal disadvantage. Especially if the game is not a remake, but operates in Mugen territory.

Though they still can shut it down. For the game would be considered as a threat to company's business, due the fact that it could take potential customers away. So... I guess there is no way, to make fan games legally without fearing the almighty "cease and desist". Unless it is a mod or people use character customization in other fighting games to make characters that look like MK characters. That's the only way they cannot shut it down, cause it is a user created content in another game and was created by using in game tools...

Holy shit... I just figured out a legal loophole.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I've said it before, HD Trilogy games would be ass. Look at any other HD "realistic" 2d fighter. Not a single one looks good.

Xenon

It all depends on how much time they put into it. This forum had these guys post their work before. Some was already quite impressive, and that was years ago.

Commander

Well one thing I can say for sure, though. Next MK game is a reboot.

Recently I have been seeing more people talking about how MK12 will have Liu Kang as the new God and replace Raiden.... Ahahahahaha... right sure.
I agree to an extent and I could see them doing a reboot because it's the easy way out...

That said, story-wise I conversely also don't see why they can't have the GKL win or become Goro's ally (since Liu Kang wiped Shang Tsung from existence).
- The MK Champion doesn't age when they win, so the GKL can be brought forward in time to the present day.
- Start the first 3 or 4 chapters showing GKL winning and with him and FGLK explaining how the current threat came to be.
- Maybe even with Shao Kahn out of the picture Shao doesn't get to poison Onaga, so that's a threat that FG Liu Kang never saw coming since MK11 Liu never dealt with what 3D era Liu Kang did.
I (unfortunately) don't see NRS having the cojones to go with Shang Tsung's Aftermath ending, especially with fuck-head Dom doing the majority of the writing these days, and again, yeah I agree with you that the reboot angle is probably more likely.

Also, people were begging for Cyrax, Sektor, Ermac, Reptile and human Smoke to be in a "KP3," so as long as people keep asking for the same MK9 / UMK3 roster then that's what they'll continue to do.
In all honesty, a part of me wonders why I've stuck around for so long when the same klassic roster will probably be repackaged for a 3rd time.
I got my hopes up with MKX bringing us 5 post-MK3 characters and Tremor.... then MK11 comes out and we have Frost (or whatever you want to call that) and Fujin (which I was happy to see).
Aside from those 2 it was 22 klassic characters from MK9, and 6 of those were from DLC.

Last edited:

lariat

NRS are the only fighting game developer (that I can think of )that had to reboot their franchise twice. The saddest part about all this is they'll get away with it. Bringing back the classic roster with butchered move sets and gimmicky mechanics doesn't make me want to play their game anymore than mk11.

Misucra

NRS are the only fighting game developer (that I can think of )that had to reboot their franchise twice. The saddest part about all this is they'll get away with it. Bringing back the classic roster with butchered move sets and gimmicky mechanics doesn't make me want to play their game anymore than mk11.
Yeah, for one they know they can get away with it.
Secondly they keep writing themselves into these dead ends, because they don't properly invest into the lore. Every single time you just make things on the go, you will always find yourself stuck in a place, where story can't move forward, cause everything is a mess and no matter what step will you take, it will contradict what you said/showed earlier.
Of course not that they care anyway.
But the point is. There is no point in investing into MK story anymore. Characters will either do 180, cause fuck you that's why or their backstories will be changed, cause a "writer" feels like it. MK Lore is dead and no matter how many times they will reboot it, it will always be this cheap "cinematic" trash fest that will be forgotten T minus 2 days.

Commander

Secondly they keep writing themselves into these dead ends, because they don't properly invest into the lore. Every single time you just make things on the go, you will always find yourself stuck in a place, where story can't move forward, cause everything is a mess and no matter what step will you take, it will contradict what you said/showed earlier.
Of course not that they care anyway.
They should really try to get someone who actually can write and / or is interested in writing the lore and expanding upon it. Not just someone who back-peddles on character origins and fucks things up left and right.
As much as @Tarkatan Trash and I usually don't see eye to eye on certain things, the lore did feel more fleshed out when Vogel and Tobias were writing...... Hell, and to some extent also Kittelsen too, from the comics to whenever he was let go at the beginning of MK11.
With Dominic writing, on the other-hand, the lore feels like it's going down the drain.

There is no point in investing into MK story anymore. Characters will either do 180, cause fuck you that's why or their backstories will be changed, cause a "writer" feels like it. MK Lore is dead and no matter how many times they will reboot it, it will always be this cheap "cinematic" trash fest that will be forgotten T minus 2 days.
And that's sad, because if they (NRS) actually gave a shit about the lore these days we could have the best of both worlds with 3D era levels of lore being expanded upon and maybe an MKX type of gameplay with ggpo.
Instead they've traded away lore and don't give a shit to listen to the community input when it comes to certain things (gameplay-wise) that should be addressed. It's fucking radio silence for months and then "Oh, here's a small patch to fix Sheeva's stomp and that's the end of support. Now leave us alone."

Last edited:

Xenon

I think NRS needs to finally do something new. You could really feel the overall fatigue they had with the last game. I don't mean running around in always-online RNG Krypt, or having Sub-Zero play completely differently in a span of 4 games. Even their Unreal 3+++++++ engine begs to get retired already.

Maybe it's best for them to move on from MK/Injustice cycle for a while, but of course with WokeBros involved that's most likely a pipe dream. Good games take a while to be made. Look at Doom. It took iD 12 years and lots of experiments to finally make a Doom 4 (2016). Even the sequel took them 4 years to make, and what do you know, it's better than the prequel, which is a rarity. That's being solely focused on one project and not fucking around.