Future of MK

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Yeah I'm really excited to try out the swap characters. This one launcher I'm using lets you swap character styles on the fly with a button combo

Xenon

Really nice, I'll give it a go. I played it long ago and it was really annoying to get the cheats to work.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Really nice, I'll give it a go. I played it long ago and it was really annoying to get the cheats to work.

Everything pretty much works out of box as long as you check "Enable cheats'
Only thing that gave me an issue was the character swap thing. For some reason it didn't recognize my inputs for the character swap, so I had to remap them in the Controller Config. But its solid now

Commander

Breaking the cycle? Not wanting to take the risks? Yeah. That's pretty bad, which also means a very likely rushed development.
The signs have been there for a while and MK11 was proof of it, but some of us (myself included) probably didn't want to believe / see it at the time.

Looking back on it, though, NRS was not taking risks with DLC (like with MKX) with the MK11 DLC characters mostly being either klassics and guests in MK11, klassic MKII and MK3 skins for the female "ninjas," klassic MKII skins for the male ninjas, Friendships were added at the end, we got a time travel story (again) but this time taking people out from the MK9 part of the timeline (prior to Kung Lao getting his neck snapped), pretty much every character has a klassic skin and klassic Fatality in the game via Brutality (some have 2 or 3 - Shang Tsung) the Dead Pool, the Sould Chamber & another stage with 8 more klassic stages.
It's beyond goddamn ridiculous how safe the majority of character choices, skins and stages are in MK11 compared to MKX.
Even fucking robocop got Cyrax and Sektor tribute skins. :ROFLMAO:

CF7

I do wish WB would allow other people make MK spin-offs while NRS is doing other stuff. I know NRS does not over flood the market with MK like Midway did in the 90s, but the MK community becomes dead quick when you have no new content.
Hm. What do you have in mind? Like a...Firaxis' made game based on fights between realms? Or something like Metal Slug Attack?

Sad no more MK11...

Onto MK12... the Great Kung Lao's time. Any ideas?
Hm. Perhaps new characters inspired by movies/cartoons/history? Like Tony Jaa in Ong Bak 2, or a character inspired by Hokuto no Ken, or...Ng Mui.
Perhaps nods to past merchandise, like Siro, Taja?
Perhaps characters inspired by scrapped designs, like...I think it was...Susanoo?
Perhaps a couple of timelime fugitives, like Monster and Future Kintaro, to pose as a teacher to past Goro. I dunno.

Last edited:

Misucra

Hm. What do you have in mind? Like a...Firaxis' made game based on fights between realms? Or something like Metal Slug Attack?

Hm. Perhaps new characters inspired by movies/cartoons/history? Like Tony Jaa in Ong Bak 2, or a character inspired by Hokuto no Ken, or...Ng Mui.
Perhaps nods to past merchandise, like Siro, Taja?
Perhaps characters inspired by scrapped designs, like...I think it was...Susanoo?
Perhaps a couple of timelime fugitives, like Monster and Future Kintaro, to pose as a teacher to past Goro. I dunno.
None of those things would keep MK interest for a long time. There is a reason why MK forums have become stagnant (and now it isn't the Discord or whatever. MK Discord server is literally people talking the exact same shit, over and over again)

MK would need a dedicated Lore expansion. World maps, detailed world information, consistent backstories, etc. The stuff that makes people talk and invest time into. That's the blood of every popular game/book/movie. World building. Current MK has none of that.

They could literally hire some dedicated Youtubers who have been MK lore masters for decades and they could write/make spin off stories that get people into the franchise.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
None of those things would keep MK interest for a long time. There is a reason why MK forums have become stagnant (and now it isn't the Discord or whatever. MK Discord server is literally people talking the exact same shit, over and over again)

MK would need a dedicated Lore expansion. World maps, detailed world information, consistent backstories, etc. The stuff that makes people talk and invest time into. That's the blood of every popular game/book/movie. World building. Current MK has none of that.

They could literally hire some dedicated Youtubers who have been MK lore masters for decades and they could write/make spin off stories that get people into the franchise.

Why do that when you could have a hack writer uproot decades worth of lore?
One Being? More like I'm the "one being" bored to death, Bald Baby more powerful than the literal focal point of creation.
Lets goooooooo

Xenon

The shitty NuMK lore won't get any better. Just listen to the the character's dialogues. They are full of so much cringe, there's no way anything coherent can be written when it comes to story mode.

It was alright in 9, bearable in X, and soul destroying in 11. Tagawa was the only good actor with solid lines and delivery, and look at that... His lore was pretty much spot on, probably the best Shang Tsung in the franchise. I bet $2 when he's done with MK, good ol' Dominic is going to have a field day destroying him, just like all other characters who are now 6 feet under.

At this point I'd rather listen to Liu Kang's "r u ok" than "WIIIIIIIFEEEEE..... I HAVE MISSED UUUUU......"

Then you actually take a look at the characters in each iteration... Fine, they get different outfits and whatever.... But then they start changing their race, changing their VAs. It's never consistent. So when they can't even keep the very basics consistent, even the gameplay and something as simple as special moves, what chance does the lore have?..... The answer is none.

Last edited:

Misucra

I thought MK story telling couldn't get lower than MK11. Battle of the Realms has proved me wrong and I take back what I said.

It is literally by DEFINITION "Braindead" entertainment.

Last edited:

Xenon

The worst thing about that heap of trash is that Ed Boon apparently had direct involvement in it. I struggle to give a 1, when I gave Annihilation a 1.

I suppose the Amazon Prime glitch was not a curse, but a blessing.

Misucra

The worst thing about that heap of trash is that Ed Boon apparently had direct involvement in it. I struggle to give a 1, when I gave Annihilation a 1.

I suppose the Amazon Prime glitch was not a curse, but a blessing.
Apparently I was stupid enough to watch it all. First time I just quickly skipped through the scenes and was done. But then "Ok... maybe, cause I skipped through scenes, it looked that bad. I mean... it can't be THAT bad. Right?" So I watched entire movie from the beginning to end and oh Lawd... it was even worse.

Movie was definitely rushed like crazy. The fact that they even messed up names in the credits and credited characters that didn't even show up at all... says it all.

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
That was the worst dogshit I've ever seen out of Mortal Kombat. I absolutely hated it. Sektor and Cyrax swapping powers, the horrendous jokes, the "emotional" scenes, technical errors and nothing storyline. This honestly might have MK11 beat for worst Mortal Kombat story told.

I genuinely wish I didn't watch this

Misucra

That was the worst dogshit I've ever seen out of Mortal Kombat. I absolutely hated it. Sektor and Cyrax swapping powers, the horrendous jokes, the "emotional" scenes, technical errors and nothing storyline. This honestly might have MK11 beat for worst Mortal Kombat story told.

I genuinely wish I didn't watch this
Blunt force trauma and bleach don't help to remove the stain that "movie" leaves in your head. Just heads up, in case you plan on trying that as well.

Xenon

I think now there are just two words to describe anything when it comes to NuMK lore.... "Stuff happens."
"Hey, so what happened in storymode/movie/cartoon?"
"Yeah so....stuff happens and then stuff happens."

BBBLP

Robot Rock
How about the One Being, the actual concept of reality itself, being taken out by physical violence. Can anyone at all explain to me why Scorpion was able to cripple it with his spear

Misucra

How about the One Being, the actual concept of reality itself, being taken out by physical violence. Can anyone at all explain to me why Scorpion was able to cripple it with his spear
The same way I could write a story, where Frost is "the chosen one" and beats Shao Kahn with her hands/legs tied and eyes closed. By the power of bullshit writing!

I mean on one hand it is amazing how they managed to put almost every main villain in the final movie. Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Shinnok and One Being. Amazing. And the best part, people are asking about a sequel... sequel to what? Where do you go after that?

Oh right. Kronika is stronger than a One Being...

Xenon

Because logic does not apply in MK. That spear can go through multiple heads, Sektor's armor and giant Shinnok fused with OB. Basically that spear is an equivalent of a Battleship canon. Said it before, there's nothing "realistic" about MK.

You even had Jade throwing Liu Kang like a sack of shit while flying mid air, holding his legs thus screwing up balance, which basically means she threw about 10 times her bodyweight or a metric ton. It's just what MK is, people get frozen and just float in midair without any motion or gravity after all...