Future of MK

Misucra

We got tinges of it with Baraka in MK11. He was finally getting some W's, not in terms of actual fights but for his people and whatnot. Its just a shame a character like Reptile can't get the same love, and that they just replaced jobber Baraka with jobber Noob Saibot
Yeah. But that's cause he chose the "good guys".

If Baraka was still the bad guy, he wouldn't be getting shit.

Xenon

Exactly... Baraka himself didn't do much either. He fought a few nameless NPCs and only got to exercise his rights because he joined the good guys. Even so he still got his ass kicked 99% of the time. In Aftermath he went back to his usual jobber duties.

Baraka and Reptile are Jobbers Supreme. Only being outshined by King Kotal Kuck himself.

Last edited:

Misucra

Exactly... Baraka himself didn't do much either. He fought a few nameless NPCs and only got to exercise his rights because he joined the good guys. Even so he still got his ass kicked 99% of the time. In Aftermath he went back to his usual jobber duties.

Baraka and Reptile are Jobbers Supreme. Only being outshined by King Kotal Kuck himself.
You're forgetting Kano. The legendary criminal mastermind, who kisses boots every Wednesday and is used as a practice dummy by Sonya and anyone that comes in front of him.

Commander

Yeah. But that's cause he chose the "good guys".

If Baraka was still the bad guy, he wouldn't be getting shit.
Which is why I liked Aftermath a bit more, because usual henchmen like Shang Tsung and Sheeva got a chance to shine and be more than just "bad guy" boot-lickers. Shang Tsung gave the proverbial middle finger to Sindel and Shao Kahn, and that felt pretty awesome.

In general, though, yeah, it would be great if they expanded on more of these characters.
I've pretty much given up on Dominic being able to write anything good at this point, and I'm still convinced that Aftermath had more of Kittelsen's influence in it, but it would be cool if they went with Shang Tsung's Aftermath ending and we got some cool stuff like ChaosRealm and OrderRealm.
NRS has shown us with MK11 that they don't have the cojones to do something like that, though, when they killed off Dark Raiden within the first few minutes of MK11.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Don't know if I'll enjoy Battle of the Realms or not, but I had to pre-order that steelbook. That artwork is clean af

Misucra

Don't know if I'll enjoy Battle of the Realms or not, but I had to pre-order that steelbook. That artwork is clean af
You traitorous, homeless, madafawka... you PRE-ORDERED???? What happened to no pre-order rule?
Jokes aside, it seems they finally remembered that there are other characters, aside Scorpion to put on a cover.

Wait... am I reading this right? One of the writers is John Tobias? At least that's what Imdb says.

Commander

Wait... am I reading this right? One of the writers is John Tobias? At least that's what Imdb says.

If that's the case, I'll definitely be watching it.
I'm a broken record by now, but WB / NRS seriously need to hire him back as a consultant for the next game.
I'm not optimistic at all if either Vogel or Tobias aren't more involved in the next game's story mode with just Dominic writing.

BBBLP

Robot Rock

lariat

IDK its not like that marvel vs DC game rumor wouldn't have printed money if that turned out to be true. As dumb and lazy as this sounds, it's sounds like something NRS would do. I mean why make a new game from scratch when you could just make MK 11.5 call it MK12 flip the injustice fans off and watch the money roll in! Ironic considering they gave all the MK 11 fans the middle finger by ending support for that game while updating injustice 2 with a useless 15gb ad.

Misucra

THROBBING erection right now. I liked Injustice 1, I fucking haaaaaated 2. I'm no hurry for a new one. As much as I disliked MK11, I'll take a new Mortal Kombat over anything else, any day of the week.
If these news are true, then it just shows how bad things are at WB. Prioritizing MK12 over Injustice? Breaking the cycle? Not wanting to take the risks? Yeah. That's pretty bad, which also means a very likely rushed development.

Misucra

IDK its not like that marvel vs DC game rumor wouldn't have printed money if that turned out to be true. As dumb and lazy as this sounds, it's sounds like something NRS would do. I mean why make a new game from scratch when you could just make MK 11.5 call it MK12 flip the injustice fans off and watch the money roll in! Ironic considering they gave all the MK 11 fans the middle finger by ending support for that game while updating injustice 2 with a useless 15gb ad.
Oh yeah that's the next thing. Basically the moment they just flipped everyone off with MK11... HEY GUYS MK12 IS COMING!!!

Xenon

Didn't Ed say he wanted to move away from MK? Not do a fighting game etc.... There's this thing called "fatigue". Also a lot of Senior staff have left NRS.

This could fail spectacularly, if the leak is true. Still using the same shitty Unreal 3, the same game modes, the same 1v1 YouTube Cutscene simulator, the same bollocks story that makes no sense. Could very well be a low effort cashgrab since WokeBros still desperately need the $$$.

Obviously there are still room temperature IQ people who will shell out $$$ no matter what, but the last game only came out ~2 years ago, and left a lot of bad taste in some people's mouths. I dunno, and probably nothing is going to come out of it anyways.

Misucra

Didn't Ed say he wanted to move away from MK? Not do a fighting game etc.... There's this thing called "fatigue". Also a lot of Senior staff have left NRS.

This could fail spectacularly, if the leak is true. Still using the same shitty Unreal 3, the same game modes, the same 1v1 YouTube Cutscene simulator, the same bollocks story that makes no sense. Could very well be a low effort cashgrab since WokeBros still desperately need the $$$.

Obviously there are still room temperature IQ people who will shell out $$$ no matter what, but the last game only came out ~2 years ago, and left a lot of bad taste in some people's mouths. I dunno, and probably nothing is going to come out of it anyways.
That and in the past there was Injustice game in between, that would allow people to "soften up", so they weren't as critical of new MK. MK11 was just abandoned, so even if it takes 2 years to announce MK12, it will still be right after MK11 mess up. It will still be "warm" for many people.

lariat

Personally I don't buy this rumor anymore than the Marvel vs DC rumor a few months back. Until NRS says otherwise I'm just putting this in the usual click bait trash.

Misucra

Personally I don't buy this rumor anymore than the Marvel vs DC rumor a few months back. Until NRS says otherwise I'm just putting this in the usual click bait trash.
Eh, this is a more likely scenario, than Marvel/DC rumor. That one requires an insane business deal to happen between two rival companies.

MK12 on other hand is more likely, especially if hey aren't sure about the future. And trust me they aren't. They aren't doing too hot in finances right now as it is. That massive debt is still sitting on their head and just cause they made a deal with Discovery, doesn't mean that they are out off hot water.

So logically it would make sense for them, not to take risks and just make something that makes money and is safe. That and there was a good point made about licenses. DC characters come from another part of AT&T, that has no direct connection with NRS. So if DC material gets sold, then all of the games that have DC characters in them, will be in trouble. It will be a licensing nightmare. And we all saw what happened to MK9, once licensing issues came up about Freddie Krueger.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Unrelated to MK11, but I've recently started playing through Shaolin Monks with NPC characters via cheats. Its genuinely impressive how compatible they are with the story mode. I'm playing as Reptile right now and even tho Kung Lao calls him Liu Kang, when Reptile throws a punch in a cutscene, he makes Reptile noises and when I got to the first Tutorial Fatality, it prompted me with Reptile's actual VS mode Fatality input instead of Liu Kang's.

Xenon

Yeah, I think you can play through it with most characters. For example character like Jade can be played, but doesn't have a lot of moves. I think there's a cheat that "transfers" moves from full characters like Liu Kang/Kung Lao.

I played MK9 the other day and it's the same deal there. There's a cheat engine table that allows you to swap characters and more. You can finish Towers/Minigames/YouTube Mode with most characters just fine.

20210824000320-1.jpg

20210824000335-1.jpg

20210824000336-1.jpg

Last edited: