Future of MK

Misucra

If that last movie was anything to go by, I wouldn't hold your breath.
I mean, people already forgot about it. WB, hell even NRS themselves don't understand that people were interested in MK for the story and characters, not the damn fatalities. Do they really think that during Golden Age of MK (3D Era), people were flooding forums about fighting mechanics or fatalities? Nah. We were looking for secrets in the Konquest, made theories, talked about what happened and will happen. But dipshits are completely clueless to that.

I can tell already that while Battle of Realms might have decent fights, it won't make people talk about it for more, than 2 days.

Last edited:

Xenon

But I thought MK was all about the blood and gore? Who cares about {{random_videogame_attribute}}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to say, all MK communities are pretty much ghost towns now. TRMK doesn't look that bad at this point 🤣

Commander

Yep. I mean, Boon goes on to call people entitled, yet the only way that the fanbase gets info for what's coming out is via data mining because they have a community manager who doesn't "manage" the relationship with the "community." I mean, it's right there in the job title.
I understand that Boon's reply was in reference to the MK animated movie and the fanbase never being satisfied (regardless), but I also get where people are coming from when a little bit of communication could have gone a long way.
Between Aftermath and KP2..... complete silence, then.... poof an announcement trailer 5 months later for KP2.
Between KP2 and them announcing they were done it had been 8 months.... complete silence, then.... after people were constantly asking if there was more DLC they finally caved in and were like "We're done."

If that last movie was anything to go by, I wouldn't hold your breath.
I'm SO glad that I didn't waste actual money to go see that garbage movie in the theaters.

But I thought MK was all about the blood and gore? Who cares about {{random_videogame_attribute}}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to say, all MK communities are pretty much ghost towns now. TRMK doesn't look that bad at this point 🤣
Don't worry.
They'll all turn into Injustice communities (or whatever the next NRS game is).
It's already happening on Reddit..... People went from MortalKombatLeaks and created a new one called NetherRealmLeaks. :LOL:

Last edited:

Commander

Again, I have my grievances with certain things pertaining to MK11 itself, but it's now the best selling MK game of all time at 12 million units sold.
That's a LOT of copies.

It's not only IGN reporting it, either.

Misucra

Again, I have my grievances with certain things pertaining to MK11 itself, but it's now the best selling MK game of all time at 12 million units sold.
That's a LOT of copies.

It's not only IGN reporting it, either.

True. But here is the key element to it.

"Mortal Kombat 11 is available now for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC via Steam, and Stadia."

5 platforms. 5 freaking platforms. MKX had what? 3. Less content and less money put into it. Good job. They sold by a million more, than MKX and did it in 2 years. Bravo. So now what?

MK community is fractured, some people will remember and will stay away. Majority of casuals will rush in, once they see the next MK title. Then it will be rinse and repeat. They will make half baked shit, market it to no end, will spend millions on Voice actors and then will cry how game development is expensive. Will shit on community again, some will leave again, others will stay... Gods. It gets tiresome just thinking about it. Endless cycle of same shit.

Still if we are looking at numbers. MK9 sold 6 million (I think.) MKX sold 11 mil. And MK11 sold 12. The growth slowed down a bit eh?

Xenon

MK9 cannot even be bought since forever, so that game is simply irrelevant.

It's not just platforms either. There are more and more people playing games. Hence why the industry is growing constantly.... You're average Joe, you have $20. What will you buy, a 6 year old dead fighting game, or a 2 year old dead fighting game?

As for MKX vs 11 sales.... 11 sold only 1 million more.... on more platforms... with a much bigger budget for marketing and development..... And then you have people wondering why would WB cut all development? 🤣 I'll make it simple... One game had a fracture of marketing/development budget and reach than its successor, sold a bit less and yet got axed than its more expensive successor. Why are you then shocked that the most expensive game also got axed?....

lariat

You forgot to mention MK 1-Trilogy, MK4 Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon ect, . Thats a lot of irrelevant gaming.

Xenon

Obviously.... Nobody's buying those games anymore, they had their 5 minutes of fame and are only brought up once in a while to sell the next big thing. Out of those 12 million copies, how many do you think indulged themselves in 3D era games.... 1%?

Remember Ed and his cringe Playboy interview.... He only praised MK9 because "it's our 3rd best-selling title".... Not the fact that it brought back NRS from the dead and arguably was their best game, nah it's all about the sales... And when MK12 comes out, that'll make it #4 and even more irrelevant. Sure, people like us might bring it up once in a while, but in the grand scheme of things, you know what it is by now.

Oh and yeah IGN's full of shit, MK11 still haven't outsold MKX. From Ed himself:

So expect more 80% off sales; gotta pump those numbers up!

Last edited:

lariat

MK11 is a dead horse and has been for over a year now. WB is having to give Ultimate away for peanuts just to inflate their numbers. The FGC has moved on to guilty gear or whatever. Boon is basically confirming this (in a very PR way) and NRS themselves have moved on. MK11's sales mean nothing at this point IMO. It's what NRS does moving forward is what matters.

Last edited:

Misucra

MK11 is dead horse and has been for over a year now. WB is having to give Ultimate away for peanuts just to inflate their numbers. The FGC has moved on to guilty gear or whatever. Boon is basically confirming this (in a very PR way) and NRS themselves have moved on. MK11's sales mean nothing at this point IMO. It's what NRS does moving forward is what matters.
True to that. I am still surprised they even got that close to MKX numbers. That game was roaring back in the day. Even with catastrophic PC launch.

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I'm just now finding out PCS was planning on making a Tremor statue back in 2016, but it got cancelled unfortunately. Absolutely heartbreaking. The only thing left of it is a teaser they had on Instagram

God I would've killed for this.

In good news tho, Storm is making a Kintaro collectible

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I mean, people already forgot about it. WB, hell even NRS themselves don't understand that people were interested in MK for the story and characters, not the damn fatalities. Do they really think that during Golden Age of MK (3D Era), people were flooding forums about fighting mechanics or fatalities? Nah. We were looking for secrets in the Konquest, made theories, talked about what happened and will happen. But dipshits are completely clueless to that.

I can tell already that while Battle of Realms might have decent fights, it won't make people talk about it for more, than 2 days.

I've got no love for the animated MK movies. I saw Sonya fight Reptile and knew I was cool off that.
Nobody who ever writes Reptile into these movies understands how fuucked up it is to kill him. The last of his race just trying to find a way to bring them back, but instead they just commit genocide and say "lol funny lizard man go dead"

Sonya even called him a b^tch. Like the way MK disrespects its villains is next level. Its like they don't understand people are fans of these characters. So I'm not looking forward to the next movie where Kintaro gets raped, Li Mei gets murdered (they know she's a good guy right?) and Sektor gets 3 icicles shoved up his ass sideways while Cyrax (who shoots rockets now?) smells his fingers.

Xenon

Reptile has been getting the short end of the stick since forever. The general audience has no idea about his lore, they just see "green monster" therefore he needs to die. Now to be fair, they're constrained to the typical "good guy vs bad guy" movie, so it's obvious the good guys will never die and always win. They need to have standard-issue bad guys who will die gruesome deaths, that's why Reptile, Kintaro, Reiko and even Li Mei are going to get owned, no questions asked.

The Sonya vs Reptile fight was hilarious. He goes invisible, and doesn't even try to kill her. What exactly stopped him from slitting her throat when she had her guard down? Or just spit on her with acid? And of course they had to make it look like that Reptile could only get a few cheap shots when he was invisible, as soon as that wore out he got his ass kicked. They couldn't even get his blood colour right.... "Fuck with da blade, you gonna get cut!" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Same happened in the god awful movie too. It was actually Sonya who did the most damage, Kano just did the Fatality. Reptile was even made into a full blown Godzilla Jr, as soon as you saw it your mind goes "yeah, he will die.".

Misucra

I've got no love for the animated MK movies. I saw Sonya fight Reptile and knew I was cool off that.
Nobody who ever writes Reptile into these movies understands how fuucked up it is to kill him. The last of his race just trying to find a way to bring them back, but instead they just commit genocide and say "lol funny lizard man go dead"

Sonya even called him a b^tch. Like the way MK disrespects its villains is next level. Its like they don't understand people are fans of these characters. So I'm not looking forward to the next movie where Kintaro gets raped, Li Mei gets murdered (they know she's a good guy right?) and Sektor gets 3 icicles shoved up his ass sideways while Cyrax (who shoots rockets now?) smells his fingers.
They simply don't give a shit. They just see a character, get the base description of them and then throw them into the cocktail. Backstory? Motivations? Strengths and weaknesses? Pfuu... Who has time for that? Let's just make a brainless action flick and show ALL DAT BLOOOD.

They fail to realize that not a single main character could be killed and movie still would be good. MK Konquest was a good example of that. Sure everyone died at the very end (even though it was a vision and not real.), but it had a massive impact, cause all of the characters survived up to that point, which made the enemies even more menacing.

They can't even allow ONE victory for the bad guys. Which makes all of the villains look like a joke.

Also to be fair. At least in original MK there were no Good guys, Bad guys. Sure there was "Light and Darkness", but like Armageddon has showed. Power was everything for kombatants. So they easily turned on each other, as everyone had some sort of grand goal. The only difference is some goals could have been considered "Good" and others "Bad", but kombatants themselves were ready to kill for it, regardless of their Alignment.

The current MK doesn't work, cause they try insert characters into these nice and tidy blocks of "Good/Bad", and it looks stupid, when you have Sonya murdering someone in cold blood.

Misucra

Reptile has been getting the short end of the stick since forever. The general audience has no idea about his lore, they just see "green monster" therefore he needs to die. Now to be fair, they're constrained to the typical "good guy vs bad guy" movie, so it's obvious the good guys will never die and always win. They need to have standard-issue bad guys who will die gruesome deaths, that's why Reptile, Kintaro, Reiko and even Li Mei are going to get owned, no questions asked.

The Sonya vs Reptile fight was hilarious. He goes invisible, and doesn't even try to kill her. What exactly stopped him from slitting her throat when she had her guard down? Or just spit on her with acid? And of course they had to make it look like that Reptile could only get a few cheap shots when he was invisible, as soon as that wore out he got his ass kicked. They couldn't even get his blood colour right.... "Fuck with da blade, you gonna get cut!" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Same happened in the god awful movie too. It was actually Sonya who did the most damage, Kano just did the Fatality. Reptile was even made into a full blown Godzilla Jr, as soon as you saw it your mind goes "yeah, he will die.".
That and overall it downplayed Sonya as well. She needed to face a retarded version of Reptile, to have a winning chance.

Commander

Which is some of the BIG issues that I have with klassic characters in the games (in general), as well.
As much as I'd rather see 3D era characters, my biggest issue with klassic characters in the games is that instead of actually expanding on the lore of some of these characters, they're in the game because "klassic" and they otherwise seem completely pointless.
Kabal, Noob Saibot and Kano in MK11 are nothing but their usual fodder henchmen selves and I was surprised as fuck that they actually expanded upon Sheeva's comic book lore in Aftermath.

Same thing with Reptile... He has a cool Zaterran ending in MKX, but they'll probably never expand upon that because he's just another klassic punching-bag meant to shut up the people who constantly whine for him. I expect the same if Smoke and Ermac ever make it to MK12, too.
More of the same.
"Here's ____________ (klassic) character with 0 story development. Now shut the fuck up and be glad that you got him, you entitled shits!"

BBBLP

Robot Rock
We got tinges of it with Baraka in MK11. He was finally getting some W's, not in terms of actual fights but for his people and whatnot. Its just a shame a character like Reptile can't get the same love, and that they just replaced jobber Baraka with jobber Noob Saibot