Future of MK

Commander

Eh, let's not use pandemic as an excuse. Tekken or even Street Fighter were like "Pandemi... what?" SFV alone came in and gave 25 pages of patches. But NRS, the princess on a fucking bean, couldn't fix something as simple as Sheeva's stomp for months? Lol.

I'm not using it as an excuse..... their motion capture / face capture dude (Alex Bittner) is the one who said that the pandemic limited what they could do. I'm just the messenger here.
He's the one saying that because of the shutdown that Rain was the last face that they were able to capture.

Let's say pandemic didn't happen. What when? Kombat Pack 3, then 4? Pfuu. No way. With every Kombat Pack they were digging themselves into a bigger hole. More characters they added, the bigger the overhaul.
KP3, probably.
KP4, no way in hell (imo).

There were 11 additional character slots added to the files around the time that Spawn came out.
Fujin, Sheeva, Robocop, Rain, Mileena and Rambo being in means that there were 5 slots left.
Rain and Mileena were highly requested fan characters and so was Fujin, so they probably made a shitload of money with those 2 packs and not to mention the MK3 female ninja skins and the Eternal Klash skins that were exclusives.
A potential KP3 with characters like Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor would have sold like hotcakes and people would have been eating that shit up.
Plus, you put some of those characters' klassic MKII or MK3 skins in the RaT or the Time Krystals store like with Mileena, Rain and the other female skins, and that's how you keep people playing a game mode that most people seem to hate, just to get their hands on those skins.

Last edited:

Misucra

I'm not using it as an excuse..... their motion capture / face capture dude (Alex Bittner) is the one who said that the pandemic limited what they could do. I'm just the messenger here.
He's the one saying that because of the shutdown that Rain was the last face that they were able to capture.

KP3, probably.
KP4, no way in hell (imo).

There were 11 additional character slots added to the files around the time that Spawn came out.
Fujin, Sheeva, Robocop, Rain, Mileena and Rambo being in means that there were 5 slots left.
Rain and Mileena were highly requested fan characters and so was Fujin, so they probably made a shitload of money with those 2 packs and not to mention the MK3 female ninja skins and the Eternal Klash skins that were exclusives.
A potential KP3 with characters like Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor would have sold like hotcakes and people would have been eating that shit up.
Plus, you put some of those characters' klassic MKII or MK3 skins in the RaT or the Time Krystals store like with Mileena, Rain and the other female skins, and that's how you keep people playing a game mode that most people seem to hate, just to get their hands on those skins.
And what I am saying is that if they can't do motion capture, then do something else. MK11 has a truckload of problems. Ok they can't add new Kombat Pack content? Fine. Balance the game. Work on overhaul for which people asked for a year and more.

And what did they do instead? Adjusted Sheeva's stomp and changed some HP values. "TWICE THE SUPPORT!"

Rain, Mileena and Fujin definitely sold well, but not enough to pay the bills. Not everyone bought those insanely priced packs and that limited time classic skins idea is stupid AF. Not to mention, how much did they spend to get those voice actors for Rambo, Spawn, Robocop? They all legit actors and they sure as hell didn't do it for free. Not to mention the extravagant marketing. Hell they built that insane stage for MK11 reveal. They invested far more into MK11 than MKX and what did they got? Still 1-2 million away from MKX total sales.

SFV on other hand, keeps printing costumes and prints money in return, while NRS gave few shitty costume packs and fucked off away.

NRS simply can't maintain a game for shit. They suck at making fighting games in the first place. Any respect they picked during MK9/MKX days in FGC is gone. They will be remembered as Party game makers not fighting game studio.

Commander

I agree that they could have done better balance patches, and yeah, their communication should have been better to begin with.
Their communication was utter ass during this game's cycle.

I mean, I don't know exactly how much money they made from Rain, Mileena and Fujin, but I'd guess that it was a ton, given that people had been begging for those characters for a long time. Rain and Fujin since the end of MK9 / MKX and Mileena since MK11's entire game cycle. Not only that, but Aftermath specifically came with a story expansion that people wanted to play. Yeah, the idea of limited skins is stupid (agreed), but it gets more people to buy into those packs. I agree on the whole extravagant MK11 reveal thing, though.

Unfortunately, though, we can't compare the 2 (Capcom and NRS). This is the usual life cycle when it comes to NRS.
Yeah, MK11 went 7 months longer, but for the most part it's 2 years or so and then the next NRS game comes out after that.
I wouldn't be surprised if at the Game Awards Ed shows up again and is like "here's the category for _________ award" and reveals the next game, since that seems to be his schtick now. Lol

Last edited:

lariat

If they can't get a big IP like MK along with NRS than the huge cost of purchasing NRS makes zero sense. I don't see any big publisher spending millions for NRS to make a even more watered down MK rip off lol. WB sure as shit won't be selling their DC license ether.
Turns out WB made a statement about the rumor. They're not selling NRS
https://www.thegamer.com/netherrealm-studios-tt-games-stil-with-warner-bros/

Last edited:

Commander

If they can't get a big IP like MK along with NRS than the huge cost of purchasing NRS makes zero sense. I don't see any big publisher spending millions for NRS to make a even more watered down MK rip off lol.
Agreed.
I don't see anyone buying NRS, either, unless it also includes the Mortal Kombat IP.
While I don't work at NRS, them having better communication and a better story writer would go a long way for future installments.
It's a shame that Ed would probably pass the reigns in the future to Dominic, though. :(

Misucra

Agreed.
I don't see anyone buying NRS, either, unless it also includes the Mortal Kombat IP.
While I don't work at NRS, them having better communication and a better story writer would go a long way for future installments.
It's a shame that Ed would probably pass the reigns in the future to Dominic, though. :(
To be honest, it is more likely for MK license to be given to someone else. WB owns it, not NRS after all. So there is a chance they could outsource it to someone else.

lariat

Maybe, but WB doesn't seem to be a company that can take financial risks outsourcing game development for a big ip like MK. We all remember how well that turned out when they outsourced the arcade Kollection to High Voltage. The Discovery merger with WB seems more interested in TV streaming services as far as I can tell. If they did decide to do so the best we could hope for is a mobile game IMO.

Misucra

Maybe, but WB doesn't seem to be a company that can take financial risks outsourcing game development for a big ip like MK. We all remember how well that turned out when they outsourced the arcade Kollection to High Voltage. The Discovery merger with WB seems more interested in TV streaming services as far as I can tell. If they did decide to do so the best we could hope for is a mobile game IMO.
Well they had no problems fucking up PC ports, so I don't see why would they be taking any new risks here. They care about initial sales, not keeping the game running after all. Eh. To be honest, that's precisely why MK is fucked either way. They don't build them to last and just go for short term gains.

Xenon

I hope the future of MK will not be full of censored content!
tenor.gif

lariat

I just don't see WB handing a different developer the IP to MK other than NRS. They make money hand over fist every time a new game is released from NRS regardless how much we bitch about it. Until their sales start to really suffer I don't see WB changing anything. PC ports are a whole other can of worms but again if people keep buying it why would WB care. Having said that hiring a different developer for a fraction of the budget that NRS gets to make a MK like adventure game wouldn't be out of relm of possibility but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Xenon

NRS will keep crapping out bad PC ports because they still make money. Ed himself said that MK9 PC performed "way, WAYYYYYY above expectations". MKX and 11 sold even more. There is no reason for them to do it differently. The brand alone will sell more copies than other fighting games, regardless of how "bad" or "shallow" or "boring" the game is.

Commander

I just don't see WB handing a different developer the IP to MK other than NRS. They make money hand over fist every time a new game is released from NRS regardless how much we bitch about it. Until their sales start to really suffer I don't see WB changing anything. PC ports are a whole other can of worms but again if people keep buying it why would WB care.
Agreed.
I don't see WB giving the MK IP to anyone else aside from NRS, either.
No matter how we don't like the writing and how I personally wish some other things were done better in MK11, it was in the top 5 selling games for all of 2019 and still selling big in the beginning of 2020 (iirc). As a publisher WB sees sales numbers and goes from there, even if the communication with the fans has been utter shit.

Having said that hiring a different developer for a fraction of the budget that NRS gets to make a MK like adventure game wouldn't be out of relm of possibility but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
This is why I was thinking before that since Paradox (a sister studio to Midway at the time) made the first Shaolin Monks, that perhaps someone else (non-NRS) could also be given the chance to do an MK action-adventure game in the same vein.

Last edited:

Commander

Speaking of which, @lariat ....

"The full list of June 2021's top 20 best-selling games is as follows;"
  1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Mario Golf: Super Rush
  4. MLB: The Show 21
  5. Scarlet Nexus
  6. Resident Evil Village
  7. Mario Kart 8
  8. Minecraft
  9. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  10. Mortal Kombat 11
  11. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  13. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  14. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  15. Super Mario 3D World
  16. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
  17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+ 2
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  19. Pokemon Sword/Shield
  20. Sea of Thieves
Still within top 10 of the best selling games as of June 2021.
Again, still some things with story writing and other areas that I wish they could have improved upon, but yeah, I doubt (again) that WB is going to give the IP to someone else aside from NRS when they have a game that's still raking in tons of cash for them.

Xenon

Problem with lists like that is that they never show any figures. NPD is notorious for this. One game can sell 10000, and the next one sells 200. Besides, it's being outsold by Mario Kart. A game from 2017(2014?????)..... Then NPD "gets" Steam sales data somehow, but Valve made it clear they do not share sale figures with 3rd parties. So they're just pulling it outta their asses....

The other thing you need to remember is a lot of these games are being sold with crazy discounts.

Last edited:

Commander

The other thing you need to remember is a lot of these games are being sold with crazy discounts.
Even so, Miles Morales Spider-Man is a fairly new game (November) with great reviews and MK11 is slightly below it, and it's on the same list of best selling games with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart which came out last month and is sitting at an 88 Metacritic score and 9.0 user score.
Again, I've aired my grievances about things in MK11, but the fact that it's even among the top 10 for 2021 of best-selling games is pretty impressive for a 2 year old game (imo).

Xenon

Not sure what ratings have to do with this..... MK11 sits at 3.7 on Metacritic. As for game being 2 years old... Well, as I said, Mario is from 2014....

Nobody denies that the game sold a lot. That's why they keep making them: because they sell. NPD is simply as bogus as it can be, even they say that "digital sales are not included" as of late. Nobody really knows just how well it did financially.

I just doubt that WokeBros would slash all support and development for a game that prints money. Probably the game stopped doing well a long time ago. Especially considering that leak that stated that the last KP sold like shit, so yeah, that would make total sense while they binned it....