Future of MK

Commander

Yeah, I figured as much, but thought I'd put for anyone interested.

Personally, I think Injustice 3 is in the works (it would be odd not to finish up that storyline), and if the MK11 reveal / VGAs is the new pattern for revealing their stuff, then.... December / VGAs for a reveal and mid-April (as usual) of 2022 for the release.
I highly doubt were getting anything (MK11 related or otherwise) revealed at E3.

Nasty_Freak

WB Games is said to be there to show Back 4 Blood, so people in the fanbase could be REALLY disappointed it they start to get their hopes up regarding anything MK11 related.
It's been 7 months of silence (the longest ever between any of the DLCs), and it doesn't look like there will be anything that they'll announce at E3.

I've suspected for a while that they're done with DLC for this game (officially gave up on that as of May 3rd) and gearing up to show off the next game.
My guess is that IF they have a new game being worked on that WB / NRS will announce it on their own some time after E3.

Boon has been trolling / teasing / joking (whatever you want to call it) more recently about Shaolin Monks.
Now, whether this pans out or whether it turns out to be more of Boon just being Boon, time will tell.
That said, there's already fake leaks on 4chan starting to pop up. 😂
Leave it to this absurd fanbase to resurrect an old cancelled game and slap the words "leak" onto it......

Took a picture of it, so that when it inevitably gets taken down it's still there.

View attachment 10028
I'd like to add playable characters such as Sareena, Ashrah, Nitara, Hotaru, Drahmin, and Smoke.

NPC: Kia, Jataaka, Frost, Moloch, Dairou, and Shinnok.

lariat

Yeah i agree with commander. NRS have moved on to other interest but I don't think Disney would hand over/rent the rights to WBs for a marvel vs dc game considering they are in direct competition with them. Injustice 3 makes a lot more sense IMO.

Commander

Yeah, Injustice 3 seems most likely, but that said, I think that if they really wanted to Marvel could lend them the rights if it was like a 60 / 40 deal or even a 70 / 30 deal in Marvel's favor.
Some things are bigger than competition, and a game like that would be HUGE.
You'd have people who didn't even care for MK itching to get their hands on something like that, and with the new phase of Marvel movies and TV shows you probably wouldn't need to do much studio promotion / community management (which seems on par with NRS now). Lol
A game where you can have Superman face off against Thor, or a battle of the billionaires Batman vs Iron Man?
Yeah, that would sell TONS of copies.

Tarkatan Trash

Keep Marvel the fuck OUT of the fighting genre until they can learn how NOT to exclude the entire X-Men roster from a Marvel fighting game. Doing just that in the last MVC game was tantamount to releasing a Mortal Kombat game without Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Commander

Given that Disney / Marvel now own the X-Men again, that probably won't be the case for the next MvC.
Capcom had their hands tied with Fox owning that shit, prior to the buyout with Disney.

lariat

Xmen obviously since Disney owns fox now but a marvel vs dc game will be very strange if there's no spiderman. I don't see Sony letting their biggest ip anywhere near a xbox post infinite (Avengers the videogame says hi ). Sony and Disney aren't on the best terms last I heard after Endgame. I could be wrong though. I doubt WB wants anything to do with that drama.

Last edited:

Commander

It just doesn't make sense then to have Spider-Man in at all then, in that case, if they're going to be that fucking petty about it, because in every Tournament they'd have to ban Spider-Man if he was only on Sony consoles, the same way that Kratos was banned from MK9 Tournaments.
Yeah, Sony now owns EVO, but NetherRealm also has done their own Tournaments from time to time (like Final Kombat).
I seriously doubt that for a fighting game they wouldn't let that happen on both systems, even if it was a 70/30 deal in Sony's favor.
Again, I think that some things are bigger than mere petty stuff like console wars.

lariat

Marvels spiderman sold 20m units on ps4 by itself. I get where you are coming from but a Marvel vs DC without spiderman is like Mortal kombat vs dc without scorpion and batman. Spiderman is arguably the most famous Marvel character of all time. As petty as it may be I wouldn't be all surprised to see Sony do this since they now own EVO(Like you mentioned ). They would make PlayStation the only console used at EVO (which has happened at tournaments before) . My point is I have doubts WB wants anything to do with it which is why I'm calling bs on the whole Marvel vs DC rumour. Personally I wouldn't trust NRS of today to be able to handle a game of this undertaking.

Last edited:

Commander

Oh, yeah, I know that Spider-Man moves units, which is why I think that if they (WB / NRS) ever did do a game like that that the deal would heavily favor Sony for the character. If anything, it would probably better for Sony if he were a DLC character with the deal heavily favoring Sony.
In that case Sony would make money from both PS and MS users for the game.
I get that Sony could make it where that's the console for Tournaments, but they've also said (EVO) afterwards that other fighters would be there.
Sadly, MK doesn't get as many people to Tournaments as a game like Smash Bros. does, so I don't see Sony being the only console for Evo Tournaments.
The Marvel situation could be different (imo) because a MK vs DC fighting game being made by the makers of the Mortal Kombat and Injustice series would be really HUGE news. You'd have people who play either 1 of the series games or neither lining up to play a game like that.

That said, to also be fair, I do agree with you that I don't think that NRS would make a proprietary character again, and despite either console maker, I think it has more to do with the fact that they want characters that people can play on all consoles & PC.
With MKX and MK11 (after the plans fell through for an Xbox guest character in MK9), in general, NRS has stuck with characters that can be on all consoles / platforms to maximize the profit revenue.
Meaning that Predator, Alien, Leatherface, Rambo, Robocop, Terminator, Joker and Spawn are characters that aren't owned by either Sony, MS or Nintendo. It's the same reason why I don't think we'll ever see a repeat of Kratos again in a NRS game.
For example, if they put in Kratos for Sony, Master Chief for Xbox and Samus for Nintendo in an Injustice game (just as an example, then that's 3 characters you couldn't have at Tourneys (in general, not just EVO) and it would be more of a hassle for people organizing the Tournaments.
It's probably why they also made Frost a $5 DLC unlockable, for Tournament purposes.
She's meant to be a story unlockable for those of us playing the game at home, but individual Tournament organizers aren't going to play 4 chapters of the game in the off-chance that someone mains Frost for that Tourney.

lariat

I just don't see Sony playing nice with WB and let them use spiderman on all versions to get this game made. We all know that WB/AT@T is in a bad financial spot so they need to make money on this game and splitting the profits with Disney and Sony would leave them with next to nothing. On the other hand Yes they could just say screw it and make the game without spiderman but all that would do is piss off all the Marvel vs Capcom fans. MK11 proved how vocal people get on twitter when they don't get what they want. Imagine how people will act when they find out there's no spiderman in the game. It's just to many hoops that WB and NRS have to jump through for a proper Marvel vs DC game.

Commander

I think if it favored Sony enough that they'd consider it, at the very least.
$43 Billion was paid to merge Warner with Discovery, so I'm not sure if they're still in the same bind after that.
That whole thing has seemed like a mess (to me), in general.

As for MK11, all that it proved (imo) was that people will never be satisfied even if they get what they want.

Fans: "We want Sindel, Baraka, Kabal, Rain, Noob Saibot and Jade for KP3 (during MKX)".....

NRS adds the characters requested for MKX DLC into MK11 either on the main roster or as DLC....

Fans: Send toxic, shitty and asshole messages to Boon and NRS requesting Mileena and Rain.....

NRS adds them via DLC in MK11...

People who are never satisfied with anything on social media....."KP3 when"..... "add Reptile, Ermac & Smoke" "how about Cyrax and Sektor"

To be fair, this fanbase can be very shitty at times.
So, Spider-Man or no Spider-Man people will ALWAAAAAAYS find something to complain and moan about.
I mean, for fucks' sake, when Mileena finally was released it was then "Why doesn't she have her MKX lips?" "Why does Kitana still have the sai gear?" "Fuck NRS for putting the klassic skins and gear in the Race Against Time or Time Krystals store" etc, etc, etc...

Xenon

Twitter is unfortunately NRS' weak spot. Most of the people yelling there don't even play their games or buy it. NRS is so far up Twitter's ass, that even the actual game direction gets sorta decided by the useless bio-waste on Twitter. It's a sad state of affairs when even the pros feedback gets ignored or barely resolved at snail's pace, but yet some moron on Twitter who yells hard enough gets first-class treatment. Ironically for NRS, the same moron then pushes for more and is never satisfied.

This is why I couldn't stand the way MK11 was handled. The entire game is littered with Twitter. No character, no soul, full of dumbass politics, and died after barely being 2 years old. It's a quickie dopamine and then you get bored the fuck out of it. That's why NRS games have 0 lasting presence.

Fractured community and a developer with no spine means one thing and one thing alone... You're gonna get MK11 over and over, just repackaged. And unfortunately as I said before, there's no reason for MK to be different. Even the people who swear on their life they're done with MK, by the time the next reveal trailer drops, they're going to be first in the "GeT HyPeD!!!!!11" line. MK12 is going to be exactly the same as MK11, the track record proves it.

Last edited:

Misucra

I think if it favored Sony enough that they'd consider it, at the very least.
$43 Billion was paid to merge Warner with Discovery, so I'm not sure if they're still in the same bind after that.
That whole thing has seemed like a mess (to me), in general.

As for MK11, all that it proved (imo) was that people will never be satisfied even if they get what they want.

Fans: "We want Sindel, Baraka, Kabal, Rain, Noob Saibot and Jade for KP3 (during MKX)".....

NRS adds the characters requested for MKX DLC into MK11 either on the main roster or as DLC....

Fans: Send toxic, shitty and asshole messages to Boon and NRS requesting Mileena and Rain.....

NRS adds them via DLC in MK11...

People who are never satisfied with anything on social media....."KP3 when"..... "add Reptile, Ermac & Smoke" "how about Cyrax and Sektor"

To be fair, this fanbase can be very shitty at times.
So, Spider-Man or no Spider-Man people will ALWAAAAAAYS find something to complain and moan about.
I mean, for fucks' sake, when Mileena finally was released it was then "Why doesn't she have her MKX lips?" "Why does Kitana still have the sai gear?" "Fuck NRS for putting the klassic skins and gear in the Race Against Time or Time Krystals store" etc, etc, etc...
Ok. let's analyze MK11 "content". Who are their target audience?

Their offline content is classic arcade towers, "cinematic" story mode and that's it.
Their online content is Online mode, recolored "Test Your Luck" towers, A.I Battles, and a Krypt.
There are 4 currencies.
Most of the "game" content is located in Towers of Time and Krypt. The grindy section.
MK11 has an impressive number of fighters and unlike other fighting games, they have pumped out the most DLC fighters in a span of 2 years. 12 characters in total, which makes it 1 character, every two months! Mostly impressive! But if we take off fanboy glasses and look at the characters of MK11... their move list is so simplistic and restricted, that anyone with a brain and motivation could learn the character in few days. All of their moves and combos. They are shallow. and boring to play and watch, for their only have 1-2 combos and no freedom for creativity.

And MK lore? We have no character bios, no interesting collectibles like maps, no lore expansion, hell Lore is now a mess. Just a cinematic story mode, that is literally just cutscenes with fights in between them.

So, who is the target audience?
It sure as hell ain't pros. They started bitching the second month after the release of MK11. Feeling like it was a job to play the game, not an entertainment. They can't really experiment with characters, they can't get creative with them during matches, everyone has almost identical approach to every character, as those characters only have 1-2 viable combos. And every Kombat Pack was nothing, but just barely prolonging the inevitable truth. Once they go through those characters in few weeks, they will have nothing to do.

So Pros are out, who is next? People that are in for the lore/story?
Story is a convoluted mess, that makes no sense. Not even the most basic one. The so called sequel, retconned multiple characters in the very same trilogy. No collectibles, no maps, no exploration of different realms. Absolutely no expansion to the lore of MK. If anything, now it was made even smaller. There is nothing to collect, nor there is anything to debate.

So lore/story fans are also out. So who is left? Casuals, that enjoy grinding their life away for some shitty skin, whose only difference is a color and they think that occasional Brutality or two is content. They don't care about the lore, they sure as hell don't care about competitive scene. They are only here cause it is MORTAL KOMBAT and it looks shiny and new. They love messing around with Robocop, Spawn or Terminator, but get bored pretty quickly of them. They already got all of the skins they wanted, they grinded Krypts, dug through all of that so called "content" and now they are hungry. Because there is no replay value in Towers of Time, they are only means to an end. To get that skin. But once you get dat skin, what's next? There is no more reason to grind and go through those idiotic modifiers.
Once I got all the skins for Frost, that was it.

So they are hungry, they already played with Kombat Pack characters and are bored of them. They want more. More. MORE. EVEN MORE.

MK11 is shallow. It has no content. It has no modes, that can be played in an online party or with your friends. I can play Chess Kombat with friends or Kombat Tetris, or MK Kart. That was fun time, especially when you would go to your Friend's place. Can I do the same with MK11? Hahaha. No.

NRS dug themselves into this hole. They made a game for the lowest target audience and now they whine about "entitled" fans. This is what you get for making a shallow ass game.

I mean look at Tekken 7. Features wise it has everything less, than MK11. Their tutorials are non existent, their story mode is laughably simple (but at least you can follow it) and their only really casual mode (bowling) is locked behind paywall and has no multiplayer. The game should be a hard pass, yet to this day is far more popular in FGC, than MK will ever be (let's not forget that MK11 was FOCUSING on Esports). And the reason for that, is that every character is like a fucking book to read. You won't master the character in a week, sure as hell won't do it in a month. It will be a long process of trial and error. Your trip to the top ranks will be nothing, but countless losses, until you will finally start securing at least 2 victories in a row, Then 3, then 4. There is no character with one click stomp. Even the cheapest characters, require brain to win.

This is why this Quantity over Quality fails every time.

Once upon a time. In 3D Era. MK stood out as a unique fighting game. It sucked as competitive fighter, but it had something that no other fighting had back then (and still doesn't). A living world. Now NRS discarded that as well, for quick buck.

Sure Xenon is correct. Once MK12 gets announced, people will flock to play that game, but will it have more players than MK11? I highly doubt that. Sure as hell won't reach MKX numbers. People don't forget.

Even if they will make money, they won't be able to deny the fact that they are making less, than a game released in 2015. They have now cut off both story fans and pros. Doesn't help that their communication is non existent. The end of MK11 support announcement was literally a troll tweet. People will remember that. They will remember that they were treated with complete silence, unless it was time for them to buy a new expansion or watch another shitty animated movie. They will remember that gameplay issues took months to be fixed. PC players will remember a discarded third party port that they got. And now that there is nothing left that makes MK special, they will have to contend with other fighting games. (Cause boy did people jump to Guilty Gear fast)

Long story short. Every game has toxic community, but it was only NRS that was stupid enough to build a game for them. Maybe next time add actual fucking content from the start and not some shallow semi mobile grind system.

Last edited:

Commander

You're gonna get MK11 over and over, just repackaged. And unfortunately as I said before, there's no reason for MK to be different. Even the people who swear on their life they're done with MK, by the time the next reveal trailer drops, they're going to be first in the "GeT HyPeD!!!!!11" line. MK12 is going to be exactly the same as MK11, the track record proves it.

Then if MK11 constant klassic shit repackaged is gonna be where this series is headed, I'll just wait until the Ultimate Edition is out.
I get that MK9 was the reboot, but I don't need 20+ fucking characters from MK9 in every game, and if that's the case then this is where I get off the bus / train in regards to MK games.

@Misucra :

They have now cut off both story fans and pros. Doesn't help that their communication is non existent. The end of MK11 support announcement was literally a troll tweet. People will remember that.

Which is why I've said before that IF a new KP does indeed end up happening that Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor are the lowest hanging fruit / most common denominator / easiest things to sell. I've had this conversation before with IRL friends debating me on "but Havik" "but Sareena" and so forth getting more people asking for them on reddit and places like that, but people like me who want more 3D era characters are in the VAST minority in comparison with people harassing and being assholes to Ed and NRS about Sindel, Baraka, Noob Saibot, Jade, Kabal for KP3 (during the end of MKX) and the Rain and Mileena douchebags during MK11.
The causals who want nothing more than just the MK1 through UMK3 era characters of the games and don't fall into either the story fans or pros sections (as you mentioned) are the ones than outnumber the rest.

Tarkatan Trash

Except we did NOT get Sindel. We got an imposter dressed like her, using her name, and copying her moveset. I hear the wrestling business did something similar on a few occasions in the 90s. Fans were definitely in the right to call bullshit on that in particular.

Misucra

Then if MK11 constant klassic shit repackaged is gonna be where this series is headed, I'll just wait until the Ultimate Edition is out.
I get that MK9 was the reboot, but I don't need 20+ fucking characters from MK9 in every game, and if that's the case then this is where I get off the bus / train in regards to MK games.

Which is why I've said before that IF a new KP does indeed end up happening that Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor are the lowest hanging fruit / most common denominator / easiest things to sell. I've had this conversation before with IRL friends debating me on "but Havik" "but Sareena" and so forth getting more people asking for them on reddit and places like that, but people like me who want more 3D era characters are in the VAST minority in comparison with people harassing and being assholes to Ed and NRS about Sindel, Baraka, Noob Saibot, Jade, Kabal for KP3 (during the end of MKX) and the Rain and Mileena douchebags during MK11.
The causals who want nothing more than just the MK1 through UMK3 era characters of the games and don't fall into either the story fans or pros sections (as you mentioned) are the ones than outnumber the rest.
And that's why I said. NRS dug themselves into that shit. The only reason why they are being bombarded by tons of requests in the first place, is because they encourage it with their behavior. The moment they added Mileena (which was definitely a last second inclusion, due her lazy design), people got encouraged to ask for more. They sell the game to the lowest fucking audience and then cry about toxic fans. Bruh, you guys are the ones that feed them in the first place!!!

The reason why we are in minority is because we don't get shit.
Why would anyone, interested in MK Lore, would want in play the game, if they have nothing to look forward to, but same rehashed chars and "story"?
Why would pros would be looking forward to anything, if they keep getting ignored?

So literally the people that would invest THE MOST time into the game, are ignored. NRS has no one else to blame, but themselves. They created this toxic community and now they get to enjoy it.

lariat

NRS just pretend to care about the FGC but the reality is they only care about those first two week sales from casuals (and six month DLC that was stretched out over a year). It's the old dangle a stick on a carrot trope. MK9 was different because they needed the old fan base to hype that game so casuals would wonder what all the fuss was about. I think a lot of people forgot how dead MK was before the reboot Now they rekindled that flame they're not concerned about what the old fans want anymore. The superficial skins, a butchered mileena and friendships that was added to MK 11 shows that they couldn't care less about us. It's all about their new audience. Which is unfortunately twitter and other social media garbage. The only light at the end of this tunnel is what happened to cd project red who still haven't recovered from the cyberpunk backlash. They're good will is gone now so good luck selling that DLC six months after you release that new game. I hope it was worth it.

Last edited:

Xenon

Didn't Cyberpunk sell like 14million units? I doubt they care at this point. CEOs could retire tomorrow and spend money on cocaine with hookers until no tomorrow.

If anything this shows the state of the industry. All you need to do is hype the game up with flashy trailers & graphics. Doesn't matter if it's shallow as piss puddle, or buggier than a dune buggy. Do that correctly and swim in money. The "core audience" will gobble it up and ask for dessert.

Last edited:

lariat

Didn't Cyberpunk sell like 14million units? I doubt they care at this point. CEOs could retire tomorrow and spend money on cocaine with hookers until no tomorrow.

If anything this shows the state of the industry. All you need to do is hype the game up with flashy trailers & graphics. Doesn't matter if it's shallow as piss puddle, or buggier than a dune buggy. Do that correctly and swim in money. The "core audience" will gobble it up and ask for dessert.
Well considering most of those sells where refunded on the ps4 store which led to Sony pulling the game from psn ( It just recently got added back in but the damage had already been done) i'm sure Sony charged a hefty fee to cd project red to get their game back on the PlayStation store. My point is people are starting to wise up to these over hyped broken products that get shoved out the door. No company can survive if they only think of the short term. Ps5 and xbox series X / S Games are moving to the $70 base model now. Only a small few drooling idiots are going to pay that much for a game without checking reviews first. Like I've mentioned before cd project red's next Witcher game or whatever is going to be a hard sell for them.