Future of MK

Nasty_Freak

I don't want any ancestors for MK12.
When MKX first announced that we were getting descendants of characters I was 1 of the people around here willing to give them a chance to shine and going "Cool, I wonder how they'll play out in the game and what NRS will do with them."

Well, with MKX and MK11 they made it loud and clear that they don't give a shit for the descendants and / or the 11 new characters that they created (in general) and they mainly use the new characters as either punching bag fodder for other characters or to put more emotional weight on a klassic character getting killed off (Sonya), and the ones that actually were pretty decent in MKX (imo, Takeda and Ferra / Torr) skip a game, anyways.
Not to mention that characters like Cassie, Kollector and Jacqui have some lame ass costumes in MK11, but yet we have icon cards for Krampus Kollector, Cassie Elf, Santa Jax and a Raiden with Christmas lights....M'kay.
It'd totally rock a fucking Krampus Kollector if WB / NRS had the cojones to put out an awesome skin like that, but no.....let's be safe with klassic shit for everyone and make the new characters look like shit. Klassic skins that have been around since the 90s, but we can't get some other cool shit like that for the newer characters.

If that's the way that it's going to be with how they treat the new characters, then I'd rather just have the 3D era characters like Quan Chi, Kenshi, Fujin, Reiko, Havik, Hotaru, Li Mei, Sareena, Nitara, Kai, Jarek, Dairou, Darrius, Moloch and Drahmin getting modern day revamps and just calling it a day.
I definitely agree with Li Mei, Nitara, and Sareena.

Commander

I definitely agree with Li Mei, Nitara, and Sareena.
All 3 of those could be pretty cool to see get their own variations, skins and gear, but they (NRS) don't really seem to care too much for the 3D era (for the most part).
People were asking for Fujin since MK9 and he didn't come out until 2 MK games later. Almost a decade (9 years) after MK9 released.
Quan Chi used to be their scapegoat and Kenshi was Boon's second favorite (after Scorpion), so maybe those 2 could come back.
Frost was on the main roster, so she wasn't really a risk because regardless of whether she was in or not the game still sold tons of copies.

lariat

Capcoms re released their old games multiple times now yet NRS can't be bothered to re release ONE game. WB's proved they can't handle outsourcing anything so I don't get why Boon keeps digging up old wounds. It's beyond pathetic at this point.

Commander

I swear if I see a MK9 Demaster.... All they gonna do is make it worse.

SM however would be amazing. Not Remaster, but a new game. But for purely Remaster, I'd vote for MKD.... You can't make it look worse than it already is, and Conquest has tons of potential.
They had a Scorpion and Sub-Zero game being done by the same people that did Shaolin Monks (Paradox, a sister studio) but it was cancelled and when Midway was sold I don't know what happened to them.
Deception had Puzzle Kombat too, and aside from Havik, Hotaru and Ashrah, I'd want a Deception remaster just for that alone.
My friends and I spent a shit-load of hours back in the day just playing Puzzle Kombat.
We made it a competition between us just with that mini-game.

Knowing WB / NRS, though, I agree with @lariat that this will probably be nothing more than Ed just teasing all for it to amount to nothing again, just like how he teased / trolled / joked about a Shaolin Monks remaster around the time that MKX came out.

Misucra

Capcoms re released their old games multiple times now yet NRS can't be bothered to re release ONE game. WB's proved they can't handle outsourcing anything so I don't get why Boon keeps digging up old wounds. It's beyond pathetic at this point.
Reminds me of that time, when dipshit added a "KP2 and Netcode for PC" on a vote for MKX.

The fact that the dude had the nerve to add stuff like that ON A VOTE... Yeah. Bruh. We just paid the money for shits and giggles.

Xenon

They had a Scorpion and Sub-Zero game being done by the same people that did Shaolin Monks (Paradox, a sister studio) but it was cancelled and when Midway was sold I don't know what happened to them.
Deception had Puzzle Kombat too, and aside from Havik, Hotaru and Ashrah, I'd want a Deception remaster just for that alone.
My friends and I spent a shit-load of hours back in the day just playing Puzzle Kombat.
We made it a competition between us just with that mini-game.

Knowing WB / NRS, though, I agree with @lariat that this will probably be nothing more than Ed just teasing all for it to amount to nothing again, just like how he teased / trolled / joked about a Shaolin Monks remaster around the time that MKX came out.
I actually had a discussion with MisuCra about this topic.... And this is pretending that it's not a Boon Troll.... Deception or SM...

Problem is, they'll probably find a way to fuck up MKD as well. For one, there's absolutely 0 chance some of those costumes would be released now. MKD gave us this after all:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7078416b42745363646b46334e673d3d2d3535302e3136316631333231343633333237353535393234363033363033362e6a7067

The other thing is.... When has NRS done a 3D fighting game? The answer is never. MKD was already very clunky, and 3D 1v1 was still a big part of the game, even in Konquest. That's just asking for trouble. As much as I'd like them to try something new... Don't do it with MKD.

Third point.... MKD was mostly a single player game. And yet I guarantee they'll implement their shitty "Game as a Service" model into it.

SM would've been the safest option, so I voted for SM. There's some 3D versus fighting but it's more like a side extra. No online. Some of the costumes will definitely get nerfed, but the thing is they're mostly NPCs anyways so who cares.

Last edited:

Misucra

I actually had a discussion with MisuCra about this topic.... And this is pretending that it's not a Boon Troll.... Deception or SM...

Problem is, they'll probably find a way to fuck up MKD as well. For one, there's absolutely 0 chance some of those costumes would be released now. MKD gave us this after all:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7078416b42745363646b46334e673d3d2d3535302e3136316631333231343633333237353535393234363033363033362e6a7067

The other thing is.... When has NRS done a 3D fighting game? The answer is never. MKD was already very clunky, and 3D 1v1 was still a big part of the game, even in Konquest. That's just asking for trouble. As much as I'd like them to try something new... Don't do it with MKD.

Third point.... MKD was mostly a single player game. And I yet I guarantee they'll implement their shitty "Game as a Service" model into it.

SM would've been the safest option, so I voted for SM. There's some 3D versus fighting but it's more like a side extra. No online. Some of the costumes will definitely get nerfed, but the thing is they're mostly NPCs anyways so who cares.
MKD value is that of a priceless historic script. That Mileena pic is nothing. They have the topless version IN GAME as well. Description even says that it is a favorite desktop wallpaper for them.

Not to mention it had maps, it had storyboards, it had everything what MK11 doesn't have. MKD is a sacred vault of Lore and last thing I want to see, is Dominic/Kittelsen kind touching it.

Last edited:

Xenon

MKD value is that of historic script. That Mileena pic is nothing. They have the the topless version IN GAME as well. Description even says that it is a favorite desktop wallpaper for them.

Not to mention it had maps, it had storyboards it had everything what MK11 doesn't have. MKD is a sacred vault of Lore and last thing I want to see is Dominic/Kittelsen kind touching it.

Yeah I didn't even know about that Gallery with Descriptions until you showed it to me. Steve Berran is such a pervert, no wonder he went all woke with 11. 😂 "I don't want Noob to look like he's into bondage!!!". There's absolutely NO chance this would fly with current_year NRS now.

Commander

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't want Dominic touching Shaolin Monks, either.
I'd rather WB / NRS outsource it to someone like Rocksteady which has familiarity with those type of action-adventure / beat 'em up game aspects, maybe with Boon as a consultant on it, the same way that Paradox did so back in the day when Shaolin Monks was originally made.
Yeah, Shaolin Monks is full of plot-holes, but it's way better than the shit that Dominic wrote for MK11, imo.

Last edited:

Xenon

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't want Dominic touching Shaolin Monks, either.
I'd rather WB / NRS outsource it to someone like Rocksteady which has familiarity with those type of action-adventure / beat 'em up game aspects, maybe with Boon as a consultant on it, the same way that Paradox did so back in the day when Shaolin Monks was originally made.
Yeah, Shaolin Monks is full of plot-holes, but it's way better than the shit that Dominic wrote for MK11, imo.
Obviously outsourcing to a different company for any of these projects would've been better. Which is kinda sad when you think about it....

But SM Remaster wouldn't touch on the story, since the entire gameplay revolves around it as it. A new SM game, however...Yeah, if Dominic and Shawn are involved, it's basically destined to have a shit story that makes no sense.

Commander

Obviously outsourcing to a different company for any of these projects would've been better. Which is kinda sad when you think about it....

But SM Remaster wouldn't touch on the story, since the entire gameplay revolves around it as it. A new SM game, however...Yeah, if Dominic and Shawn are involved, it's basically destined to have a shit story that makes no sense.
I just wasn't sure if by "remaster" Ed meant like a simple graphical upgrade with it being a bit more crisp and maybe FPS update (like with the Dishonored 1 Definitive Edition) or if it's like from the ground up re-building of the same game but like an Unreal Engine 3 / 4 version.
And yeah, a new action adventure game I wouldn't want Dominic to touch.
I would prefer someone like Boon and Tobias being outside consultants for someone like Rocksteady to make it, rather than Dominic coming up with some horse shit like with MK11.

As a side note, I'm not a game developer nor work in the gaming field so I don't know, but IF they end up doing a Shaolin Monks remaster would they at least give Sub-Zero and Scorpion new voices when you unlock them after beating the game with Liu Kang and Kung Lao? It was always a little jarring to me that they kept the same Kung Lao / Liu Kang voices for Sub-Zero and Scorpion when you unlocked them.

Last edited:

Xenon

I don't think they even have the original source files for games like SM, Deception or heck even MK9. MK2 is like 20 years old now. Even if they do making them work again on modern hardware can be a bit of a challenge as well. I work in Software Development and trust me.... getting old, outdated shit to work in current_year a lot of times is more hassle than its worth. Rather just rewrite the darn thing from scratch....

I think Ed meant "Remake" and not "Remaster". Sorta like what Crapcom did with their RE games. Which means....yeah.... Dominic and Shawn are going to have a field day! 😂

Commander

I don't think they even have the original source files for games like SM, Deception or heck even MK9. MK2 is like 20 years old now. Even if they do making them work again on modern hardware can be a bit of a challenge as well. I work in Software Development and trust me.... getting old, outdated shit to work in current_year a lot of times is more hassle than its worth. Rather just rewrite the darn thing from scratch....

I think Ed meant "Remake" and not "Remaster". Sorta like what Crapcom did with their RE games. Which means....yeah.... Dominic and Shawn are going to have a field day! 😂
Paradox LA (Midway's sister studio) would have had those source files (iirc) as they're the ones that made SM.
That said, if Boon meant remake for the original SM instead of "remaster," then yeah, I think SM is also fucked in that aspect.
Dominic getting his hands on Shaolin Monks to re-write it from scratch would mean him coming up with more dumb shit.
The Liu Kang "Are you Ok?" line to the dead monk would be the least of our concerns with Dominic re-writing Shaolin Monks.
Again, this is why I'd rather have Rocksteady or another sister studio handling it if SM is going to be a remake from scratch.
They're used to doing action adventure games, so I really hope that if WB is planning something like that that Rocksteady can do it with maybe with either Ed Boon or John Vogel as consultants on it.
I have 0 faith in anything else written by Dominic Cianciolo after the hot mess that was MK11's main story mode.

Xenon

Liu Kang's "U ok?" is peak MK writing. Up there with Jax' "This is not a brutality; this is a fatality!". Dominic/Kittelsen couldn't come up with such hilarious lines even if their lives depended on it.

Man, I remember how even on this forum people were flipping their shit over Liu Kang's line.... And then we have these NuMK NRS games where people basically get killed in Xray view and then walk it off like nothing happened. "R u ok?" aged like fine wine.

Commander

That's what I'm getting at, that those 4th wall break things in Shaolin Monks would be the least of our concern with Dominic re-writing a Shaolin Monks type of game. Despite some of the plot-holes in SM, he'd probably do some weird crap and turn SM into hot garbage.

lariat

hopefully something good comes from WB this e3. If MK11 is anything to go by than I don't expect anything to be announced until the video game awards. I love to be wrong. Here's max going over the E3 sced

Commander

WB Games is said to be there to show Back 4 Blood, so people in the fanbase could be REALLY disappointed it they start to get their hopes up regarding anything MK11 related.
It's been 7 months of silence (the longest ever between any of the DLCs), and it doesn't look like there will be anything that they'll announce at E3.

I've suspected for a while that they're done with DLC for this game (officially gave up on that as of May 3rd) and gearing up to show off the next game.
My guess is that IF they have a new game being worked on that WB / NRS will announce it on their own some time after E3.

Boon has been trolling / teasing / joking (whatever you want to call it) more recently about Shaolin Monks.
Now, whether this pans out or whether it turns out to be more of Boon just being Boon, time will tell.
That said, there's already fake leaks on 4chan starting to pop up. 😂
Leave it to this absurd fanbase to resurrect an old cancelled game and slap the words "leak" onto it......

Took a picture of it, so that when it inevitably gets taken down it's still there.

Fire and Ice fake leak.png

Last edited: