Future of MK

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Compassion definitely has its place in MK. They just took it too far in 11
MK9 Scorpion was the first time we saw some legit humanity out of him since MK2 when he (temporarily lol) agreed to spare Bi Han. MKX was even better with him actually showing affection to another character in Takeda and even forgiving Sub Zero, but still staying true to his character in making sure Quan Chi payed for what he did.

11 tho he had a weird buddybro relationship with SZ, playing that stupid prank on him at the Cyber Lin Kuei base. He felt like a goody goody super hero which is a really bad look for the ressurected hellspawn.

Man X really was the highlight of MK lore imo. The overall story is terrible, but X really improved on the relationships these characters had. Showing Outworld has actual people in it and not just monsters. Kotal caring about his warriors, man we'll never have something like that again. 11 completely went back on that again with the villains *all* just being backstabbers.

I'm at the point where I hope a new studio gets to work on MK. NRS has screwed the series up in almost every single way possible.

Misucra

Compassion definitely has its place in MK. They just took it too far in 11
MK9 Scorpion was the first time we saw some legit humanity out of him since MK2 when he (temporarily lol) agreed to spare Bi Han. MKX was even better with him actually showing affection to another character in Takeda and even forgiving Sub Zero, but still staying true to his character in making sure Quan Chi payed for what he did.

11 tho he had a weird buddybro relationship with SZ, playing that stupid prank on him at the Cyber Lin Kuei base. He felt like a goody goody super hero which is a really bad look for the ressurected hellspawn.

Man X really was the highlight of MK lore imo. The overall story is terrible, but X really improved on the relationships these characters had. Showing Outworld has actual people in it and not just monsters. Kotal caring about his warriors, man we'll never have something like that again. 11 completely went back on that again with the villains *all* just being backstabbers.

I'm at the point where I hope a new studio gets to work on MK. NRS has screwed the series up in almost every single way possible.
Personally I preferred Armageddon depiction. It was Light and Dark forces against each other, but the fighters weren't fighting for the collective cause, but just used this conflict as means to an end. Scorpion wasn't evil, but he chose to fight on the side of Darkness, just so he could face Sub Zero. While others did that just to solve old rivalries or exact vengeance.

And once the Pyramid of Argus appeared, then all of them dropped their alliances/factions and it was everyone for themselves. Everyone was killing each other and throwing others off the pyramid. Like Johnny Cage pushed off Sonya. Everyone fought for their personal goals.

I really liked that depiction. It showed them, as warriors with burning ambition and determination. Not some unicorns and rainbows avengers level of shit, like MK11.

Kittelsen is just one of those naive guys, that think in Black and White and preach bullshit without actually considering if it makes sense to begin with. "I wrote Mortal Kombat 11, and I abhor violence." I am not sure what he thought that article made him look like, but smart is not one of those things.

Xenon

For me compassion is fine, but everything should be done in moderation.

Scorpion at this point feels like he's going in cycles. Revenge > Redemption > Revenge > Redemption > Re... you get the idea. None of the characters really were fleshed out in this installment. So many characters are still pretty much a block of wood with nothing going for them, or focusing on one subplot over and over again.

Also the core game itself does not sit well with this Dalai Lama philosophy that Kittelsen tried to promote. You have parents ripping the heads off their children and vice versa. Half of the roster seem to be banging each other, even as far as Kotal screwing D'Vorah. Is this supposed to be bunch of degenerates killing each other in most gratuitous ways, or a TV sitcom that explores the realities on how to become a better person without pulling someone's spine out?

To quote the Critical Drinker.....DON'T KNOWWWWWW

"One could say the same thing about the iconic rosters of the Street Fighter and Tekken franchises, but their story modes are far less celebrated by fans and critics. Why?"

"The contrast between heroes and villains happens to express a core value of my pacifism: Villains provoke conflict; heroes resolve it."

This is just too much! 😂

Last edited:

Commander

It still feels like most of the fuck ups in the MK11 story mode can be attributed to Dominic Cianciolo.

Kittelsen wrote the MKX comics (which, imo, were better done than the MK11 story mode) and the MK11 story mode seemed to mainly be Dominic's doing, considering that he's the one that stepped up when Vogel went to do more of the art department stuff instead of writing like he did in MK9 and MKX.

Hell, Aftermath (imo) feels like it has more of Vogel / Kittelsen's hand in it give that that shit actually goes more in line with the MK9 and MKX comics storyline of Sheeva becoming the Queen of the Shokan, some of the uneasy / temporary alliances between Shang Tsung, Fujin, Sheeva and Nightwolf (like how it was also with Reiko and Mileena in the comics). I enjoyed the Aftermath story much more than the horseshit that was the MK11 main story mode. We see more of these things fleshed out and better developed but in the MK11 main story we see Kotal being nothing but a fucking punching bag, Geras is a mindless Kronika tool and so is Cetrion.
Oooooh, we get to learn about Kollector, Shao Kahn's tax collector.
Cool, could we also find out more about Sindel's hair stylist next or Baraka's dentist? /s
I was hoping that when Kollector first came out that he'd be someone cool like someone who "kollected" warriors for the sake of recruiting them to Shao Kahn's armies or something like that.
Again, unfortunately, the newer characters ended up being a bust for this game and I keep asking myself why I should even give a shit for any of these supposed "new" characters (that are really 'they were here all along characters'), when NRS themselves don't seem to give enough of a shit about them.

Commander

Also, as a side note, I think that these 2 things pretty much confirm that they are done with DLC.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2021/jan/27/nether-realm-motion-capture/

11 additional DLC slots were found when Spawn released in March of 2020, but the last face scan for DLC according to that dude at NRS was for Rain, prior to the pandemic shut down.
That seems to confirm that the face capture studio was shut down the entire time from March / April of 2020 all the way to January of 2021.
Yeah, it seems like they're pretty much done with this game and moving on to the next game announcement at E3.
5 additional characters for DLC with work going on from January until now? Not really likely, imo, given that each character for this game takes about a month and a half of work for them to do.

Misucra

So. Here is the FUCKING future of MK.

Entire WarnerMedia just got sold to a MOTHERFUCKING Discovery. 43 FUCKING Billion dollars.

Finally we going to get that MADAFAWKING Lore expansion we wanted. Holy donkey balls dipped in shit. Can't wait for those Mortal Kombat documentaries.

Edit: I just learned that there are no filters.

Last edited:

Xenon

WokeBusters, starring Shawn and Dominic. Can't wait! 😂 (y)

Now it all makes sense why MK11 content was so lacking, and the constant 75% off sales. WB Games is done for, imo. They're small change. This also includes Capeshit Comics, which as of late made 0 profit and only pissed off fans.

Commander

That KP3 that people had hopes for doesn't look like it'll come.
Although, it appears that some of the gaming stuff will stay with AT&T....

I wonder if this just means that DC stuff got sold off and they're keeping NRS and future games?

Either way, THIS is another reason why I FUCKING HATE guest characters in MK games.
First the Freddy license / the Robert Englund estate fuck over MK9 from being sold digitally, and now this shit.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Joker being in MK11 also ends up biting AT&T or NRS in the ass in the future.

Commander

It's not just MK11. MKX falls into this category as well. They all might join MK9 in the Soulnado. 😂
Well, if NRS / MK survives this, then I REALLY hope that this means less guest characters in future installments.
Like a dog returning to its vomit, though, that probably won't happen and they won't learn their lesson.
I'm not 100% sure how the licensing rights for Jason, Predator, Alien and Leatherface were agreed upon for MKX, but yeah, this could end up being a clusterfuck of licensing deals that could go sideways in the future.
Same goes for Joker, Terminator, Robocop, Rambo and Spawn licenses with this latest news of this buy-out.

Xenon

Oh MK will survive. No doubt about that. What might happen is they get sold off/sacked, and then get acquired by another publisher. MisuCra's and Tarkatan Trash' wishes may come true after all. EA gets NRS, annual MK with $5 skins peppered everywhere. 😂

What will happen for sure, is downsizing. I expect Capeshit to be completely butchered. They've done it to themselves. As for NRS... It's a bit too early to say. At first I thought that the entire Games Division was sold off, but apparently as you showed it's parts of it. All I do know now however.... Ed Boon's Marvel vs DC game might be on the backburner now.

Commander

Eh, if NRS ends up being sold to someone else and another Trilogy type game is made (as Tarkatan would like) down the line, with the same MK9 roster, then I may just hold off and just get it when the Komplete version goes for like $25~$20 or just skip out on it altogether.
A huge part of the reason that I was initially excited for MKX and MK11 in this series of games was because of potential fresh faces like Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, as well as potentially returning 3D era characters like Quan Chi, Fujin, Kenshi, Shinnok, etc, etc, etc...... ( a part of me also hoped maybe Reiko and Havik could also one day show up).
Since WB / NRS didn't seem to give too much of a shit for the newer created characters and downsized on 3D era characters (as of MK11), then the pattern is obvious: ....... recycle and shovel the same MK1 through UMK3 shit to the fans, then rinse and repeat.
Sadly, if this is where the franchise is headed (annual or bi-annual MK games with regurgitated klassic shit), then this is where I'll be stepping off of the MK hype train, and much like with the Madden games my passion for the franchise that I once loved will slowly wilt and die.

Last edited:

Xenon

As long as they don't Demaster MK9, I really don't care what they do with the franchise. They themselves don't care, why should I?

Nasty_Freak

Eh, if NRS ends up being sold to someone else and another Trilogy type game is made (as Tarkatan would like) down the line, with the same MK9 roster, then I may just hold off and just get it when the Komplete version goes for like $25~$20 or just skip out on it altogether.
A huge part of the reason that I was initially excited for MKX and MK11 in this series of games was because of potential fresh faces like Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, as well as potentially returning 3D era characters like Quan Chi, Fujin, Kenshi, Shinnok, etc, etc, etc...... ( a part of me also hoped maybe Reiko and Havik could also one day show up).
Since WB / NRS didn't seem to give too much of a shit for the newer created characters and downsized on 3D era characters (as of MK11), then the pattern is obvious: ....... recycle and shovel the same MK1 through UMK3 shit to the fans, then rinse and repeat.
Sadly, if this is where the franchise is headed (annual or bi-annual MK games with regurgitated klassic shit), then this is where I'll be stepping off of the MK hype train, and much like with the Madden games my passion for the franchise that I once loved will slowly wilt and die.
I'd like MK12 to be re-winded to from MK9-MKX but this time Li Mei and Sareena would be the Cassie and Jacqui of the game.

Commander

I wouldn't want them to rewind anything.
My preference would be continuing from the point in Aftermath with the ending where Shang Tsung wins, that way we can get more characters like Havik and Hotaru introduced, as well as ChaosRealm and OrderRealm / Seido.
With MK9 through MK11 it just been Outworld, EarthRealm and NetherRealm, but there's more to the lore than just that.
With Dominic Cianciolo writing, I could easily see them doing a soft reboot in the GKL era, though. 🙄

Xenon

Dominic is just going to jump on whatever the next big thing is, usually Capeshit related. Perhaps infinity stones?

Oh shit, I can already see the One Being snapping his fingers.... "Shao Kahn, you shit king of fuck mountain, I don't feel so good!...." - Dragon King.

Misucra

I'd like MK12 to be re-winded to from MK9-MKX but this time Li Mei and Sareena would be the Cassie and Jacqui of the game.
The only way I would agree to see MK rebooted again, is if they introduced a Konquest mode back and story would play in Third Person, Semi Open world. Give me an ability to pick a character from the roster and let me go with that character, as "main char" of the story. Fighting would be in 3D, with extensive dynamic battle damage, tons of blood, stage transition, proper character customization. Can shape outfits from multiple pieces.

Basically... knowing the odds of seeing a game like that. My answer is... I wouldn't be a fan of another REBOOT.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I'm down for a reboot if they're going with the Great Kung Lao storyline. I really want to see an MK without guns again. No more "fights" against giant swarms of nameless monsters being gunned down. I know this probably means no cyborgs, but they might be able to do a Cyrax ancestor. Human Cyrax in MK9 used pretty practical weapons

Commander

I don't want any ancestors for MK12.
When MKX first announced that we were getting descendants of characters I was 1 of the people around here willing to give them a chance to shine and going "Cool, I wonder how they'll play out in the game and what NRS will do with them."

Well, with MKX and MK11 they made it loud and clear that they don't give a shit for the descendants and / or the 11 new characters that they created (in general) and they mainly use the new characters as either punching bag fodder for other characters or to put more emotional weight on a klassic character getting killed off (Sonya), and the ones that actually were pretty decent in MKX (imo, Takeda and Ferra / Torr) skip a game, anyways.
Not to mention that characters like Cassie, Kollector and Jacqui have some lame ass costumes in MK11, but yet we have icon cards for Krampus Kollector, Cassie Elf, Santa Jax and a Raiden with Christmas lights....M'kay.
It'd totally rock a fucking Krampus Kollector if WB / NRS had the cojones to put out an awesome skin like that, but no.....let's be safe with klassic shit for everyone and make the new characters look like shit. Klassic skins that have been around since the 90s, but we can't get some other cool shit like that for the newer characters.

If that's the way that it's going to be with how they treat the new characters, then I'd rather just have the 3D era characters like Quan Chi, Kenshi, Fujin, Reiko, Havik, Hotaru, Li Mei, Sareena, Nitara, Kai, Jarek, Dairou, Darrius, Moloch and Drahmin getting modern day revamps and just calling it a day.

Last edited: