Future of MK

Misucra

I hate to be THAT dude, but yeah, technically anything past March after the year of release for DLC = "longer support."
Been saying it for a while now that the whole "longer support" bullshit line was vague as hell, but people don't listen to me.

MK9 = Komplete comes out on February 8, 2012 (less than a year after initial release)
Injustice = Ultimate Edition comes out on November 12, 2013 (same year as the initial release)
MKX = XL Edition comes out on March 1, 2016 (less than a year after initial release)
Injustice 2 = Legendary Edition comes out on March 27, 2018 (less than a year after initial release)
MK11 = Ultimate Edition comes out on November 17, 2020 (a year and 5 months after initial release)

WB / NRS like to play loose with terms, so over a year and a half to them probably constituted as year(s) or "longer support."
I'm not condoning it or saying it's right, but likely their mentality on this stuff.
I know right?

I knew that, when they said "longer support" it meant few months longer at best.

Xenon said it right. MK is the COD of Fighting games. Though judging by what is happening now, I think we will be seeing a loooong break in MK.

Commander

Though judging by what is happening now, I think we will be seeing a loooong break in MK.
Which is why as much as I'd hate to see MK11 becoming another MK9 (version 2.0, if you will) by putting in Reptile, human Smoke, Ermac, Cyrax and Sketor, it's also the safest and most profitable thing they could do if the series is really going to take a long break.
MK9 is no longer sold digitally and you can't play that PS3 game physically on a PS5, so......
If KP3 really is still a thing and they didn't abandon it, that's the safest shit out there for them to consider.

Again, I'd love to see more of the 3D era characters, but Klassic stuff is the lowest hanging fruit there is for them to make money off of.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I don't want Sektor in this game. I'm so glad Tremor was in MKX where he could be an absolute beast. If he was in MK11 instead he'd be flicking pebbles instead of throwing mountains

Xenon

"Long break"? 2 years, as per usual cycle. The game will be hyped, it'll SELL SELL SELL, DLC gets released, people get bored, start crying for MK...and whatyaknow... MK12 announced before you could blink! Remember it's up to WB on what NRS works next. As long as their MK/Injutice cycle prints money, nothing will change. And WB really, really, REALLY needs that $$$ now....

Sektor looked amazing in this game, so did Cyrax. The best looking characters by far....and they're NPCs. 😂 In a sense I agree with BBBLP, they'd find a way to fuck them up somehow. I bet $2 they'll appear in the next game.

Last edited:

Misucra

"Long break"? 2 years, as per usual cycle. The game will be hyped, it'll SELL SELL SELL, DLC gets released, people get bored, start crying for MK...and whatyaknow... MK12 announced before you could blink! Remember it's up to WB on what NRS works next. As long as their MK/Injutice cycle prints money, nothing will change. And WB really, really, REALLY needs that $$$ now....

Sektor looked amazing in this game, so did Cyrax. The best looking characters by far....and they're NPCs. 😂 In a sense I agree with BBBLP, they'd find a way to fuck them up somehow. I bet $2 they'll appear in the next game.
Think about it.

If they are actually making a Marvel game. What makes more? Marvel or MK? They make a successful Marvel game and Boon will get his dream job. DC and Marvel games. Like you say "Capeshit stuff". He always wanted to do that after all. They are all about movie references and so on.

What's up with MK on another hand? Doesn't even make TOP 10 in their top earnings. One of the reasons why they aren't flaunting MK11 sales numbers, like they did with MKX, cause they know they are shit. It didn't hit their financial expectations.

"But.. but... but... it sold 8 million copies in just 2 years, while MKX sold 11 million copies in 4 years!!"
Yeah and MK11 had a bigger budget, bigger marketing, had constant SALES, tons of expensive ass voice actors and was released on 4 platforms, instead of 3.
I really doubt MK11 will be able to greatly surpass MKX in the next two years. Not with new games and announcements coming up.

Doesn't help that MK movie received mixed reviews and seems that just like MK11... had an explosive start and then... bzzzzzz.

Not to mention. If they are making a Marvel game right now. Then Injustice 3 will follow. They still have to finish up the story of that one (they did a sequel bait after all). So 2 years for Marvel, another 2 years for Injustice and then PROBABLY 2 years for MK. So we won't be seeing new MK for a while.

I mean, at the end of the day. If we are looking for Boon's and NRS perspective. MK for them was nothing more, than just a stepping stone.

Misucra

MK11 potentially being the last MK game for half a decade fu&king *hurts*
Ironically, they could have easily made Mortal Kombat into a franchise that could have brought them 100-300 dollars million per month. Thanks to all potential merchandise, games, animations, comics, solo feature movies, etc.

But that would have required a writer with 2 brain cells and effort. Neither of which they have.

Last edited:

Xenon

Think about it.

If they are actually making a Marvel game. What makes more? Marvel or MK? They make a successful Marvel game and Boon will get his dream job. DC and Marvel games. Like you say "Capeshit stuff". He always wanted to do that after all. They are all about movie references and so on.

What's up with MK on another hand? Doesn't even make TOP 10 in their top earnings. One of the reasons why they aren't flaunting MK11 sales numbers, like they did with MKX, cause they know they are shit. It didn't hit their financial expectations.

"But.. but... but... it sold 8 million copies in just 2 years, while MKX sold 11 million copies in 4 years!!"
Yeah and MK11 had a bigger budget, bigger marketing, had constant SALES, tons of expensive ass voice actors and was released on 4 platforms, instead of 3.
I really doubt MK11 will be able to greatly surpass MKX in the next two years. Not with new games and announcements coming up.

Doesn't help that MK movie received mixed reviews and seems that just like MK11... had an explosive start and then... bzzzzzz.

Not to mention. If they are making a Marvel game right now. Then Injustice 3 will follow. They still have to finish up the story of that one (they did a sequel bait after all). So 2 years for Marvel, another 2 years for Injustice and then PROBABLY 2 years for MK. So we won't be seeing new MK for a while.

I mean, at the end of the day. If we are looking for Boon's and NRS perspective. MK for them was nothing more, than just a stepping stone.
Just because it's Marvel, doesn't mean it'll sell more than MK.

Marvel Avengers was a bomb compared to MK11. I'm not too familiar with Capeshit Universe, but doesn't Marvel do poorly now because the quality of content is simply ass now? Meanwhile Scorpion's Revenge has fight scenes looking like they were drawn by a 12 year old (Scorpion vs Quan Chi comes to mind), and is being hailed as one of the best things MK has produced. Hell even the recent movie is being hailed by some as one of the best movies EVARRR. Just by this alone I think MK will sell no matter what, even if it's a turd wrapped in the Dragon Logo (tm).

MK11 potentially being the last MK game for half a decade fu&king *hurts*

Well they could easily address that by outsourcing MK to a third party. Just like they did with SM.... An SM game now would be the tits.

Misucra

Just because it's Marvel, doesn't mean it'll sell more than MK.

Marvel Avengers was a bomb compared to MK11. I'm not too familiar with Capeshit Universe, but doesn't Marvel do poorly now because the quality of content is simply ass now? Meanwhile Scorpion's Revenge has fight scenes looking like they were drawn by a 12 year old (Scorpion vs Quan Chi comes to mind), and is being hailed as one of the best things MK has produced. Hell even the recent movie is being hailed by some as one of the best movies EVARRR. Just by this alone I think MK will sell no matter what, even if it's a turd wrapped in the Dragon Logo (tm).

Well they could easily address that by outsourcing MK to a third party. Just like they did with SM.... An SM game now would be the tits.
Precisely, cause it is Marvel, it will sell a lot.

Marvel Avengers sales suck, cause game is locked behind insane grind and had major bugs/glitches/server issues. The worst offender being the grind, that keeps players away from fully unlocked characters. Once you have all moves unlocked, the game becomes way more interesting (according to players), but now devs decided to INCREASE the grind. That pissed off tons of people. That game is literally shooting itself in the foot.
Not to mention they keep shoving that, Ms. Marvel as main character, and people are BORED of her. Literally a shit show.

MK11 on another hand is a mediocre game, but wasn't plagued by the same problems as Marvel Avengers. So there is nothing to compare. If MK11 had half of the problems they had, it would deal with the same backlash.

"being hailed as one of the best things MK has produced" Who is hailing? The ever shrinking MK community? Game urnalists?
Both animated and live action, were made in a way that ONLY people that enjoy MK, will enjoy the media. You think some random dude, that would watch Godzilla or Avengers is going to be interested in MK? Haha.

Especially speaking of Godzilla vs King Kong. That movie made money. Real money. MK made just a fraction of what Godzilla made. And for a good reason. MK is a closed off medium. People can't enjoy it, cause it is always made with MK community mentality.

"Oh dude, we will show them tons of fatalities and blood! Let's put Goro in the shed, as a surprise!"

"Yo, yo, yo. Don't forget to put Kung Lao's MKX fatality!"

"That will be so sick! Yo!"

Again. MK is a niche, compared to Marvel. People like Marvel characters, but just don't like shit comics or video games. Give them a PURE Marvel fighting game? People will eat it up. All the potential MCU outfits... yeah. That would be a money making machine.

And what is MK now? They have completely abandoned MK lore. You can see that by just how they stopped writing character bios, just so they could allow themselves to retcon characters.
We have tons of guest characters from 80-90s movies. They don't even use MK characters to attract new people. They use Robocop, Joker or Spawn to attract casuals, cause they gave up on making MK interesting for anyone else, but the current dwindling community. Those sales, weren't just for the sake of increasing the number of sales. It was also to attract new blood.

They don't even know how to attract new people to MK. Marvel on other hand? Everyone and their mom knows it. It is family friendly content. And you know.

Family friendly = $$$.

MK11 squeezed out everything it could from MK franchise. The original MK community lasted so long, cause we had tons of content. And no. It wasn't the DLC, it wasn't the skin packs, that kept us. It was the world of MK. What is the new generation of MK fans will have?

A two dimensional, backstabbing, gold-digging whore Sindel. That's what they will have.

Man. I mean... during Deception days. You could MISS stuff. You could explore the realms and find hidden secrets. There were STORIES. Every interaction with characters, helped us shape the story. And now? The only thing to come back to is bunch of Test Your Luck towers named as "TOWERS OF WASTING YOUR MADAFAWKING TIME"

That's what MK is now. Just fatalities and DLC's.

While Marvel? DECADES of Lore. Thousands of comic books. Premade characters with special moves. Don't need to invent anything. No need to innovate. Just put everything in game format. EASY MONEY. And you can sell that both to adults and children. Oh it will make all the cash in the world. Unless they f#$k it up somehow, Marvel fighting game made by NRS, will sell like cakes and will make any MK sales look like a joke.

Xenon

"being hailed as one of the best things MK has produced" Who is hailing? The ever shrinking MK community? Game urnalists?
image.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Commander

Yup.
The whole "breaking the cycle" / potential Marvel game is precisely what I was getting at with a "longer break from MK."

Also, what's easier to sell to casual and hardcore fans alike for MK11?
Characters like Havik, Reiko, Sareena, Li Mei and Daegon (WHICH I'D FUCKING LOVE TO SEE, don't get me wrong)........ or characters that everybody who wasn't sleeping under a rock in the 90s knows about in the MK universe..... like Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor?
The obvious answer is the latter.

It's easier for them to sell those klassic characters (Reptile, Ermac, human Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor) to people as DLC and wrap it up to move onto the next game.
Then they could easily put klassic costumes again in either the Time Krystals store or make people bust their asses in ToT to get Top 5% or Top 10% for an MKII klassic male ninja skin or a klassic MK3 Cyrax or Sektor skin.
Just look at Shang Tsung, Mileena and Rain.
They did that exact shit that I was just explaining of having the costumes in either the Time Krystals store or Race Against Time (or both), and people ate that shit up like hotcakes.

Last edited:

Commander

Is it even possible that WB will allow any deal between NRS and Marvel? That rumor sounds fishy.

It's just a license that they would have to ask for (similar to the license for the TMNT in Injustice 2 that they probably had to ask Nickelodeon for) and it's not like Disney / Marvel wouldn't get a cut of the profits. I could see some sort of 60 / 40 deal or even a 55 / 45 deal between both Disney / Marvel and WB / NRS to make a game like that.
A game like that would benefit all 4 interested parties (WB, NRS, Disney and Marvel) and would make a shit-ton of money from a marketing perspective. How many people would turn down a game where you can use Spiderman vs Batman or have Superman facing off against Iron Man?
With all of the Marvel stuff coming out in the next few years you probably wouldn't even need to market it much, either, which is right up WB / NRS' alley of doing a shit job of marketing anyways. 🤷‍♂️

Misucra

It's just a license that they would have to ask for (similar to the license for the TMNT in Injustice 2 that they probably had to ask Nickelodeon for) and it's not like Disney / Marvel wouldn't get a cut of the profits. I could see some sort of 60 / 40 deal or even a 55 / 45 deal between both Disney / Marvel and WB / NRS to make a game like that.
A game like that would benefit all 4 interested parties (WB, NRS, Disney and Marvel) and would make a shit-ton of money from a marketing perspective. How many people would turn down a game where you can use Spiderman vs Batman or have Superman facing off against Iron Man?
With all of the Marvel stuff coming out in the next few years you probably wouldn't even need to market it much, either, which is right up WB / NRS' alley of doing a shit job of marketing anyways. 🤷‍♂️
My guy here gets it.

This is a far more lucrative deal. Not to mention, they know that their Injustice storyline was praised to no end. Injustice comics of both 1 and 2 sold really well. They even got Annual covers. They do the same with Marvel and boom. Easy money.
And if NRS Marvel designs will receive feedback, then things like figurines and other merchandise will automatically happen. Which automatically guarantees a flow of big dosh.

I won't be surprised if they will abandon MK all together, in case Marvel/DC content proves to be financially really successful. Hell, I will be impressed if they will even REMEMBER the 30th anniversary of MK.

Commander

Yeah, and on a separate note: this is also why I think that other games like DOOM and Fallout may not really be 100% exclusive to MS, despite the buy-out. I think that smaller IPs under the Bethesda umbrella like Dishonored could be exclusive, but when franchises become too big to fail like that, competition becomes a non-factor and companies are more likely to want to work together to make more money.
Even a 75 / 25 deal in favor for MS would work for those big IPs.
DOOM and Fallout are IPs that over the years have amassed SUCH a huge following, that MS / Bethesda making those exclusive to Xbox / PC and not on PS5 would potentially mean leaving money on the table. Even a timed exclusive would work in MS' favor vs not making it available on the competing console at all.
Think of the Sony / Marvel deal with Spider-Man.
Sony would have been dumb not to want to partner up with Disney / Marvel for those 3 Spider-Man movies, knowing that Marvel / Disney has been hitting it out of the park with the MCU movies that they've been releasing.

This scenario is what I think could apply with WB / NRS and with Disney / Marvel.
This partnership for a game like that would be bigger than mere competition.

Misucra

Welp. Like I thought. MK movie immediately ran out of gas. One can blame COVID for it, but when you have something like Godzilla vs King Kong going smashing records, it is hard to make an excuse.

Like Critical Drinker has said. MK fans will find something to enjoy in this movie, but anyone else, will just walk away confused.