Future of MK

Misucra

Raiden was hella weird. I could barely understand him. I really appreciate MK showing its Eastern roots, but jesus christ that dude needed a few more takes on his lines.

@Xenon I think the Sub Zero thing is based on the games. Sub ages hella slow because he's a cryomancer. I don't remember where I heard that tho. I wanted to say Deadly Alliance, but I'm not seeing it in his bios. Maybe its from DA's Conquest.
I am pretty sure, nowhere was it stated that Cryomancers could live for hundreds of years.

It is a movie made up stuff. Like everything else.

Xenon has been pretty merciful on the movie. It is full on 1 for me. That dumbass excuse of "just turn off you brain!" will just rot the brains instead. Fights with tons of cuts? Seen it before. Cheap one liners? Check. "I have been on 6 tours, Motherf#cker!"... ok. Shang Tsung? More like Chinese Emperor Hory Shittu, that looks like an East version of Obelisk with his armor.

But the core issue. Structure. I mean 1995 isn't absolved of that either, but at LEAST they showed that they kind of give a shit about the fact that Tournament's have a specific rules/flow to them.

This movie? What rules? Raiden doesn't do jack shit. His defenders are being hunted or even killed off left and right. Raiden talks about some sort of rules, but Shang Tsung just goes "whatever. lol". My biggest problem is when movie starts talking about the rules, it makes your brain automatically pick it up (unless you completely shut it down and just consume the media like a zombie) and then you start wondering. "Ok. So these are the rules, what they going to do to go around them? How those rules will function in that scenario?" You start building a system in your mind and then IMMEDIATELY they ignore the said rules...

Imagine if you watched football (soccer for some) right now and in the middle of the game, player grabbed the ball and just threw it towards the goal. Opposing team would immediately lose their shit and demand a penalty to the enemy team, but referee would be like "What they are doing is wrong, but I can't punish them, cause the rules don't allow me to do that." Same thing.

I mean... like I said. Entertainment is reaching the levels, where they think that you have to be completely stupid to enjoy something. Why use the brain? Why put effort? DUDE. I JUST WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED, I DON'T WANNA USE MY BRAIN. IT IS DIFFICULT!

Yeah, at this rate, we will have people just watching someone getting kicked in the balls and calling that a high level entertainment.

I mean over the years, has there ever been a media that portrayed Mortal Kombat as a proper Tournament? With brackets and shit? Cause even MK9 tournament was off with "Who wants to fight?" and then you later get "It's not your turn, yet." Wait what?

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Idk how I'd rate it. I'd watch this over the OG movie tho. I like the original movie, but its pretty stale at times. This movie is at least funny with Kano, and I get to see the best look Kabal has ever had. NRS needs to make a movie skin pack asap

Nitara getting split was hilarious lmao. The entire theater clapped when it happened. I also laughed when Kabal died because I thought he said "Fatality" during his own death, turns out it was Liu but damn was it funny.

Shang retrieving Sub's body makes sense because Noob, but what was up with him taking Goro? You think we're getting revenants. I hope not. There's more characters they could introduce. Plus I don't want them to go with Evil Liu at some point down the line. He doesn't work as a jobber

Misucra

Idk how I'd rate it. I'd watch this over the OG movie tho. I like the original movie, but its pretty stale at times. This movie is at least funny with Kano, and I get to see the best look Kabal has ever had. NRS needs to make a movie skin pack asap

Nitara getting split was hilarious lmao. The entire theater clapped when it happened. I also laughed when Kabal died because I thought he said "Fatality" during his own death, turns out it was Liu but damn was it funny.

Shang retrieving Sub's body makes sense because Noob, but what was up with him taking Goro? You think we're getting revenants. I hope not. There's more characters they could introduce. Plus I don't want them to go with Evil Liu at some point down the line. He doesn't work as a jobber
I will be surprised if they even will get a sequel to begin with. Demon Slayer is smashing Mortal Kombat as it is. Very poor reception outside US, as well. Mixed reactions. Doesn't look like something that will be good enough to get a sequel. WB right now every cent they can make. So movies have to make in hundreds of millions. They need Godzilla vs Kong numbers, not whatever MK is dragging.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I will be surprised if they even will get a sequel to begin with. Demon Slayer is smashing Mortal Kombat as it is. Very poor reception outside US, as well. Mixed reactions. Doesn't look like something that will be good enough to get a sequel. WB right now every cent they can make. So movies have to make in hundreds of millions. They need Godzilla vs Kong numbers, not whatever MK is dragging.

I'm reading the opposite rn. Articles I'm checking are showing US numbers only tho. Says MK is doing well and Demon Slayer is right behind it. I know DS absolutely killed it in Japan. But MK losing to DS worldwide doesn't mean we wont get a sequel

Misucra

I'm reading the opposite rn. Articles I'm checking are showing US numbers only tho. Says MK is doing well and Demon Slayer is right behind it. I know DS absolutely killed it in Japan. But MK losing to DS worldwide doesn't mean we wont get a sequel
What Demon Slayer is doing in Japan doesn't really matter. Mortal Kombat has zero market in there (people know what it is, but nobody cares especially with the latest one) so there is no competition. The reason why I brought up, Demon Slayer is that it shows that a niche franchise in US, is competing with MK in it's home ground. It is that bad.

Anime movies just recently began appearing in US. So it is a big deal for newcomers to crush numbers on such scale. But again early to say. This is what? The first weekend. Usually the second and third weekend says how the movie does. I have no doubt that it will do decently. After all US is its home ground. It can forget smashing anything worldwide though. And that's why I doubt there will be any sequel.

"Taslim revealed that he is signed on for four films of the series if the reboot is a success."

Now I am not sure what do they define a success nowadays, as we have a pandemic. But the reason why R rated movies became more popular is cause, Deadpool earned almost a billion. 782 million USD against 52 million USD budget. So I take it the movie has to make 3 times its budget, to be a success nowadays. Otherwise no way they will finance 4 more movies.

Like I mentioned before. WB is bleeding for money. They are already selling Rooster Teeth and merging other assets of theirs. It is that bad. So they need a money making machine right now. So their movies have to make proper cash, otherwise they will be in deeeeep shit.

Jion_Wansu

Well, well well. If you haven't seen Mortal Kombat (2021) then don't. Trust me. Unless, you want to chalk it up to this version of Mortal Kombat being another timeline from Kronika's countless timelines then I guess you can call Mortal Kombat (2021) canon lore wise. There has never been a true video game to movie adaption that follows the lore exactly like the video game (this goes for scifi/fantasy novels as well). The only thing that comes close is a fan made movie on YouTube about the Dragonlance lore. Raistlin is exactly like the book.

EDIT: Yeah, reading the above comments there were some throwbacks like that MK2 sweep bs lol. Kano: Is that the only move you know?

-------------------------------------------------

The problem is; if we go by the time line from the 1990s then Sub-Zero killed Scorpion sometime in end of 1991 or sometime in 1992 before teh 1st Mortal Kombat tournament (end of 1992). The Sub-Zero working for Shang Tsung thing is a throwback from MK Mythologies ending cutscene and Sub-Zero's MK1 story (working for Shang Tsung only to later assassinate Shang Tsung for the Lin Kuei).

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I know you guys prob don't know who this is, but Goro's face was bothering me so much I couldn't tell who it was he reminded me of until just now.

4cd6e1ad1fcdbcc7bae980e1b99ce0d2.jpg

He looks like Ron f**cking Isley lmfao

lariat

MK 2021 was pretty meh for me. It felt to convoluted by introducing new characters no one cares about for the sake of telling a new story. MK has so much lore it's like the director and screen writers didn't know what to do with it so they just made up stuff. This movie felt like fanservice with a dash of a real movie thrown in a blender and out popped this confusing mess. That being said I didn't hate it since sub and scorp where awesome to watch but beyond the few cool scenes nothing really jumped out as memorable. I have no desire to see it again 5 out of 10.

Misucra

Idk dude, it looks like the movie is doing great.

That's not a lot of data to work with, you know? If they will make more on the second weekend, then yeah. They are doing pretty great. If they will make less, then it is really bad. Cause these numbers aren't looking really hot. You do realize that they are looking at movies like Godzilla vs Kong and are comparing it with this one? (as stupid as it is)

Though judging by movie's quality, budget probably wasn't very big. Didn't look like 100-200mil dollar budget.

Xenon

The budget was reported around 100-150mil. I don't know if that includes marketing.

Very mixed reception so far. Lots of people hate it. Letterboxd put it at a 2.7 out of 5....

😂

Last edited:

Misucra

The budget was reported around 100-150mil. I don't know if that includes marketing.

Very mixed reception so far. Lots of people hate it. Letterboxd put it at a 2.7 out of 5....

😂
If that's true... oh boy. They better make some serious money.

Xenon

Yeah I don't know if it's true. The original 50mil apparently was for the shitcanned original script that got leaked way back.

Misucra

Also 23rd came and went away with nothing. A lot of people were expecting some sort of updates or communication from NRS. Lol.

Well. And people surprised why MK community isn't growing.

Yellow Ledbetter

Well, my expectations were low, but I was overwhelmed by this movie!

In the most negative way.

Pure garbage. I've never seen a worst Raiden, Liu Kang was painful to watch, almost like a behavioral coach of "aRcANa mYstIcS", forcing so much to be a tertiary character that he was a Kung Lao simp. Guess that's what they needed to do to not overshadow Cole.

Reiko, Mileena, Kabal, etc., completely wasted. Sonya, Jax and Kung Lao were good, but the plot was too bad. Bi-Han, Shang Tsung, Scorpion, nice considering the context, but still too wasted.

Kano carried the movie. There was no reason for no Johnny Cage. Goro in a shed was...something.

Still, some people loved. Apparently they say we all should be grateful. Smh.

Misucra

Well, my expectations were low, but I was overwhelmed by this movie!

In the most negative way.

Pure garbage. I've never seen a worst Raiden, Liu Kang was painful to watch, almost like a behavioral coach of "aRcANa mYstIcS", forcing so much to be a tertiary character that he was a Kung Lao simp. Guess that's what they needed to do to not overshadow Cole.

Reiko, Mileena, Kabal, etc., completely wasted. Sonya, Jax and Kung Lao were good, but the plot was too bad. Bi-Han, Shang Tsung, Scorpion, nice considering the context, but still too wasted.

Kano carried the movie. There was no reason for no Johnny Cage. Goro in a shed was...something.

Still, some people loved. Apparently they say we all should be grateful. Smh.
Yeah.

"Be happy that you got something, you ungrateful prick!"

At this point NRS or WB can just throw shit in your face and some dumbasses will start screaming, how grateful you have to be for having shit on your face.

Btw... did anyone see @Commander ? Last time I saw him, was when he said that he was about to watch MK mov... oh no.

He probably died from boredom. RIP.

Yellow Ledbetter

Yeah.

At this point NRS or WB can just throw shit in your face and some dumbasses will start screaming, how grateful you have to be for having shit on your face.

Btw... did anyone see @Commander ? Last time I saw him, was when he said that he was about to watch MK mov... oh no.

Judging by the little I virtually know him, I'm sure he endured almost to the end. Unfortunately, breathing through machines, he couldn't survive when Liu Kang said:

Spoiler:
"Without Kung Lao we have no chance of winning"

The human body cannot sustain this kind of injury.

Commander

Yeah.

Saw it and basically it was....., Meh-rtal Kombat.
Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Kano are all well done. Not gonna lie about those 3.
THAT SAID, there's so little of Hanzo being Scorpion in the film and it's not even explained how the fuck Quan Chi turns Hanzo into Scorpion, just poof.... gone... and then back for 5 minutes at the end to help useless Cole. Yay, the guy who gets his ass kicked the whole movie has special armor that helps him absorb the ass kickings even more.
I could have seen a Kano solo film with that actor and a decent script and would have been good, but then you have wimp Goro hiding in a shack, 5 minutes of Nitara, whatever the hell Reptile was supposed to be and the constant convenient garbage Raiden teleporting characters as plot-fodder.
“Ooh, Raiden... magical genie.... whisk me away so I can settle my score with _____________ that I just got my ass kicked by. We'll meet up and take on Sub-Zero.... ready.... BREAK!” Whaaaaaaaat????
The origins of the Hanzo and Bi-Han feud, Jax gaining his metal arms and Kano’s smart ass quips were cool (even though those origins are not 100% canon to the lore), but after those 30 minutes things happen way to fast in the plot where (because of editing, imo) it feels like the producers were going “Ok, we gotta wrap this up.”
To be fair, it did have some decent Easter eggs which I easily picked up on like a quick painting of Delila (mother of Taven and Daegon) and the god Argus (father of Taven, Daegon and Rain), Kitana’s fan, Shinnok’s amulet (which Kano was trying to steal), a painting of The Great Kung Lao, a Nightwolf picture and a Bo Rai Cho statue.
That said........ other gripes.....
Shao Kahn’s model was a straight rip from MK11, so it doesn’t look like too much effort went into him from those making the movie. Pause it and take a look at his default skin from MK11, it's MK11 default Shao Kahn down to the Donnie Darko helmet.
Reiko was a punk grunt, when in reality he was Shao Kahn’s most intelligent and war skilled general.
No mention of Mileena being a half Tarkatan or clone of Kitana.... just..... there.
Nitara... cool character from the 3D era.... but then again, she’s in it for maybe 5 minutes.
😞

I really liked Mechad Brooks in Supergirl, but in this he and Sonya just seem to fall flat as characters..... yeah, I get it..... the arcana gives everyone powers.
🙄

Anywho, don’t know if I’m just being super picky, but yeah, plot-wise this falls flat on its face and I’d give it a 2 / 5 rating, and that's being generous.

Oh, also.......

Spoiler:

Kano funny.jpg

Last edited: