Five Questions

MoonEye821

1: Does the PC version of MKT loose graphic resolution compared to the arcade version of UMK3? I had the game at one point, and tried to look hard, and it looked to me like it kind of did. But, that could just be me reading too much into things. Does anyone know the reslolution of the UMK3 Arcade machine and that of the PC MKT?

2: Why does Midway not place Mortal Kombat Trilogy on direct download as it did the varrious Midway Arcade Treasures? Is it something contractual with the publisher of the PC version of MKT? Do they simply not want to make MKT avaiable again? I was under the impression that a great many fans love MKT and that the PC version is rather rare. Why not, as a company, capitolize off of this and re-piblish the game online like they already did with the other titles?

3: I'm under the impression that versions of the games found in Midway Arcade Treasures are like 98-99% arcade perfect. They do seem to have flaws, such at shadow flicker. Have these things been fixed in the direct download? Also, digitally speaking, is it even possible to have 100% perfection in any form of emulation?

4: What are the legalities of arcade vending? Arcade machines are made so they can take in money. Midway Arcade Treasures had many arcade titles, and close to 100% perfect gameplay. Is it legal to build an arcade machine around a PC rather than a traditional model, buy then load up Midway Arcade Treasures, then charge for it as if it was what it's emulating? I mean, if you legally buy an arcade machine the point is to be able to make money off of it. If one makes a costume cabinent, with speakers, joysticks, monitors, spearks, and a coinbox; and somehow got it to work; is there any copyright reasons forbidding profitting off of what is now altimately a MK Aracade machine?

5: Also, considering there was no arcade version of MKT; what are the legalities of making your own MKT arcade cabinent and running your own MKT Arcade machine?

You can buy Arcade machines all over the place. They're expensive (very expensive) but they're completely legal. As for perfect emulations of MKT...well I havn't found one yet. The best one I can find is the PC version, but there are alot of glitches. The version I have for my PSX emulator works well, but it requires specific drivers etc. and it does have minor slowdowns. Also I was unaware of Midway re-distributing MK online...where?

I don't have the PC version of MKT, but I'd imagine that if anything it might even have a bit better resolution than the arcade, although I have nothing to base that off of. According to MAME, however, the resolution of UMK3 is 400 X 254 in its original aspect ratio.

As far as I know, it's not really possible to have a 100% perfect emulation of anything. I could be wrong on that, but I kinda doubt it.

It seems like there would be issues with your idea of putting MAT into an arcade cabinet and charging quarters for it since that would be a form of resale, which should be illegal for PC and console games, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Really, I think this stuff is gonna be well beyond the knowledge of anyone who still putts around here. Have you tried asking Midway directly? 'Cause that'd probably be your best bet for solid answers to most of this stuff.

You can buy Arcade machines all over the place. They're expensive (very expensive) but they're completely legal. As for perfect emulations of MKT...well I havn't found one yet. The best one I can find is the PC version, but there are alot of glitches. The version I have for my PSX emulator works well, but it requires specific drivers etc. and it does have minor slowdowns. Also I was unaware of Midway re-distributing MK online...where?

I think UMK on xbox could possibly be the reason why they re-distributed the online version. I think thats where it is basically being put to a much better and much more profitable use. of corse i could be wrong.

Last edited:
to answer about questions 4&5 i think that the likely-hood of making an arcade machine version has a slim chance of success and a slim chance of error and lawsuits. though i personally wouldn't try it, but you seem rather confident in it so i'd suggest giving it a shot.
also buying one has a fighting chance. glam is right they are quite expensive ranging from 100's to 1000's of dollars. check online.

I don't have the PC version of MKT, but I'd imagine that if anything it might even have a bit better resolution than the arcade, although I have nothing to base that off of. According to MAME, however, the resolution of UMK3 is 400 X 254 in its original aspect ratio.

As far as I know, it's not really possible to have a 100% perfect emulation of anything. I could be wrong on that, but I kinda doubt it.

It seems like there would be issues with your idea of putting MAT into an arcade cabinet and charging quarters for it since that would be a form of resale, which should be illegal for PC and console games, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Really, I think this stuff is gonna be well beyond the knowledge of anyone who still putts around here. Have you tried asking Midway directly? 'Cause that'd probably be your best bet for solid answers to most of this stuff.

I might try asking Midway. Typically they don't respond to my e-mails and they banned me from the official message board but hey; Armageddon did more than bring the MK Universe to into possible destruction, it pit fans against other fans and fans against Midway so... unless I e-mail off to them in a nicer tone off of a different IP address; it is unlikely I will get a response. Also, Midway is a large company. I would assume they would have little time to respond to my questions that they would likely consider trivial anyway. Thank you all for your help. I'll try to find information on resolution for the PC Trilogy and compare it to the UMK3.

Well, not directly MK. MK through Midway Arcade Treasures. If you look at their page and find the game in their game librairy, they do have a way you can download the rather large installer and pay for an access code that would unlock it for longer than the preview period.