Final Fantasy VII remake confirmed!

I can't wait for new Final Fantasy 7. And I hope that this new generation Final Fantasy 7 will have a more open combat (while it was nice, I still would prefer not to have turn based combat this time), open world (not just outside the city, but inside as well).
But that is again just my wishes for the game. For now I can just sit and wait.

Actually, it's still linear even outside of Midgar. The map is designed to where you have to go certain locations to progress further and it's much later where you can go almost anywhere you want.

Something needs to be done about the combat though. If they go with a real-time route, I hope other party members besides Cloud are useable.

Actually, it's still linear even outside of Midgar. The map is designed to where you have to go certain locations to progress further and it's much later where you can go almost anywhere you want.

Something needs to be done about the combat though. If they go with a real-time route, I hope other party members besides Cloud are useable.

Yeah, but I mean you don't need to get on some special road. If for example you're in some sort of plains, then I would love to travel around them as well and find one or two interesting things about the world.

I'm glad they ditched the old ATB battle system. Unfortunately, FF7 is supposedly going to be a multi-part release, which is something I can't agree with.

I'm glad they ditched the old ATB battle system. Unfortunately, FF7 is supposedly going to be a multi-part release, which is something I can't agree with.

I just hated this change. Final Fantasy 7 was transformed to a simple "press foward + X" hack n slash brainless game.

I welcome the updated battle system as long as it's not brain dead like ff13. I also welcome the episodic releases because it means we get to play the game sooner rather than later. Btw ff7 steam port is on NA ps4 store for $10.87 I think the sale goes until December 12.

Last edited:
I just hated this change. Final Fantasy 7 was transformed to a simple "press foward + X" hack n slash brainless game.

I didn't find the traditional ATB system particularly strategic. Most mobs in FF7 can simply be defeated through brute force...not much thought beyond hitting them until they are dead.

I didn't find the traditional ATB system particularly strategic. Most mobs in FF7 can simply be defeated through brute force...not much thought beyond hitting them until they are dead.

But the true challenge in FF7 was not the traditional mobs. No one can defeat the WEAPONs only with brute force!!!

BTW, in absolutely every game made until today, you can oblitarate tradicional mobs only with brute force.

But the true challenge in FF7 was not the traditional mobs. No one can defeat the WEAPONs only with brute force!!!

BTW, in absolutely every game made until today, you can oblitarate tradicional mobs only with brute force.

The Weapons are the exceptions, they are not representatives for the majority of the battles and are only encountered late game. Anyways, I don't get the complaint about the game moving towards real-time combat being brainless when the same can be said for ATB the majority of the time.

I'll wait for the complete edition, which is not gonna happen until 2018 it looks like. I am a patient man, with other games holding me over until then.

The Weapons are the exceptions, they are not representatives for the majority of the battles and are only encountered late game. Anyways, I don't get the complaint about the game moving towards real-time combat being brainless when the same can be said for ATB the majority of the time.

Ok, let me explain.

1- With "press foward + x all night long" combat all i have to do is, press foward + X. There is no game who actually challenge the player with this kind of gameplay. The only way to die in games like this is when you: a) sucks at it. b) got surrounded by an army of mobs. I loved Witcher 3, but, no enemy was able to get me in a fight, it´s a very easy game.

2- There are a bunch of brainless turn-based RPGs, but, FF7 wasnt one of them. The battle system + the materia systema + summon system made this game perfect. I understand that the players demand more action than cleverness, but, transform the perfect game in some generic action game is some kind of heresy...

Ps: Witcher, Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XIII, Bayoneta, and countless of other games you can just destroy regular mobs with basic attacks, but, the real thing is in boss battle, and, this action games simply doesnt bring the amazing challenge like ATB system.

Entering the attack command at virtually every round is not a great mental feat. There are very few enemies actually require strategy or setups. Besides, FF7 for the most part is not a particularly hard game, even compared to other FF games.

What's so clever about FF7's battle system? The summons behave like attacks spells only they have limited use per battle. The materia system had some potential, but party composition didn't matter that much since the characters lacked specialization.

FFXIII is menu driven-combat and you don't have any control over positioning; if anything, it's more closely related to the ATB system. Tomb Raider, especially the early games, are much more exploration and puzzle-solving than combat. For action games in general, it's not about if regular attacks are viable enough, it's how you use them. Positioning and timing are important too. Attack options may be limited in Dark Souls, but swinging away recklessly is unsafe and leaves the player open for damage. Combined with the limited healing and high damage-to-hp ratio, the game encourages a more cautious style of play.

Last edited:
ATB doesn't require that much strategy at all unless you're under leveled and fighting enemies with certain weaknesses. The hardest ATB system I've played was FFXIII and that's mainly because the death of the leader only results in a Game Over, their were level caps, and you have to constantly change the padagrim (however you spell it).

Using FFXV in comparison, when it comes to regular enemies, yeah this game is probably gonna be pretty easy (but they were always easy). Don't know how they're gonna do with the enemies that have high health and special requirements though. However, when it comes to the bosses, you will be required to have better timing and skill to defeat them.

P.S. Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ninja Gaiden 3. I'll leave it at that.

Out of the games that used ATB, my favorite would have to be Chrono Trigger. Enemies often move around during battle, which can make area-of-effect techs more or less effective depending on their formation. Party members can combine their techs, giving players access to dual/triple techs unique to specific character combinations. Enemy encounters are more interesting; a lot of bosses and some regular enemies have quirks to watch out for or exploit. Also, the transition from exploration to combat is seamless, as enemies are fought on the same map instead of warping to a separate battle screen. Unfortunately, Square never replicated that in any game that came after it.

Out of the games that used ATB, my favorite would have to be Chrono Trigger. Enemies often move around during battle, which can make area-of-effect techs more or less effective depending on their formation. Party members can combine their techs, giving players access to dual/triple techs unique to specific character combinations. Enemy encounters are more interesting; a lot of bosses and some regular enemies have quirks to watch out for or exploit. Also, the transition from exploration to combat is seamless, as enemies are fought on the same map instead of warping to a separate battle screen. Unfortunately, Square never replicated that in any game that came after it.

Chrono Trigger was perfect. If they use CT battle system in FF7 Remake, it would be perfect!!!