fight stick first impressions for mk9

aedanwolfe

posting this here because its in regards to the fight stick and how it functions for me in mk9 as much as its for the fight stick itself.

got a street fighter 4 tourney edition fight stick from ebay today, 120$ and modded with some orange buttons. came in original box that looks pretty much new. here are some pics of the stick.

Spoiler:
1308432944966.jpg
1308432946047.jpg

there is some cosmetic scuffing on the wrist rest area, other then that it seems in mint condition.

now i was never the arcade type person, this is my first stick ever. first thing i notice is the weight, solid stuff, makes me feel better about buying it as it doesnt feel like im gonna break the thing.

its responsive as all hell too, while practicing with it i found even if i lightly rested my fingers on the buttons it would register.

Practice is the name of the game here. its a completly different layout then what youd be used to if you never used a stick before like me. for example. reptiles B,F,2 elbow dash. from left side of screen its easy enough, from right side of screen i have the habit (atm, ironing it out) of going B,2,F because of how fast my hands move without me thinking it.

if you look at the picture of the buttons i changed it so R1 is block and R2 is grab, now, i dont press R2, i did it so i could more easily reach the block button quickly. i use the old fashioned 1+3 for grab instead. This also makes using Ex moves easier for me personally. L2 is still stance swap allow my pinky to be used with minmal effort due to the natural curve of my fingers on the pad.

With these changes i find it easiest to have my thumb near 3, index near 1, ring near 2, and middle finger bent back slightly to quickly tap 4. my ring also takes care of R1 and pinky comes into play for xray action. this is what ive found easiest to use, tho a different person my find different layouts to there liking.

this stick is great but i think is where the most practice will be required for anyone unfamiliar. it has a square gate that i may replace as i do not have trouble with my diagonals, but rather my njp and dashes. ive heard good things about octagonal gates, are diamond gates in existance? or would that just requires rotating the square, ive yet to crack it open, been too busy practicing.

while the price may be steep for some. im finding right away much less fatigue/sweat with the stick vs the pad (ps3) as its a much more relaxed posture.

so from my first impressions

-solid feel
-helluva fast responsiveness
-less fatigue/arm wear then ps3 gamepads

I think if your the type of guy that plays seriously/competitively or has a librarys worth of fighting games a stick would be right for you. But it requires practice, especially for those like me without the experience of sticks. however that said i dont htink the practice is too steep, ive only been playing it for a couple hours now and i can already get some advanced combos off (tho not every single time yet)

I used to have one....hated it mainly due to the Sanwa parts.

I find them way too sensitive...there's basically no feeling in button taps and joystick movements, making it feel shallow and cheap...

Sold it, went back to d-pad, and haven't looked back since...

well, not really understanding the shallow and cheap part. maybe you mean you wanted a more tactile feel?

but to each there own, i dont think pad is inherently betteror worse then stick, mainly preference. there i think tehre are some pros/cons to both.

I almost bought that same stick,except i was just on amazon and was looking at the wireless stick that comes with tekken 6,and just as I was looking at it they did a gold box deal on the 360 version,dropping it from 74.99 to $40.i couldnt resist.And I get a copy of tekken 6 that I will most likely trade in.lost interest in tekken around tekken tag.

Do you find blocking a bit uncomfortable. Looking at it right now, it looks like it is controlled with the pinky, which has caught my eye since I dont have much "pinky power"

i adjusted controls so i actually block with my ring finger. i then moved grab in its place and instead of pressing it for grab i just press 1+3, saves space/hand movements.

I'm really tired of the 360 D-Pad and have decided to hitch my wagon to something else. The fight sticks are pretty pricey and I still need to make sure I'm gonna stick with serious fighting games before I invest that much money into a controller, but I did just order a MadCatz Fight Pad off Amazon and if that goes well and I start improving and if I stay dedicated I'll prolly test the water on fight sticks. I plan on renting Marvel vs Capcom 3 (I love Marvel lol) and Tekken (the visceral, hard-hitting style looks cool) from Family Video sometime soon to see if my fighting tastes extend beyond MK lol. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, lol, but your thread reminded me of all of this ^^

Back to the land where people stay on-topic: Good luck with the switch over to stick. Lemme know how it treats you, I may be getting close to having to make a similar decision. I'd like to find a friend who has one or rent one or some s--t like that first though. It's a lot of money to spend without surety lol.