"Family Game" Mortal Kombat 1

krazyhugo

Did anyone play the "Family Game" version of MK1. It had no fatalities but the combos you were able to do where just too good! I remember playing the sh*t out of it when I was younger. The characters were moving fast and you could also pause the game (which was a big problem back then). You were also able to play as Shang Tsung and Goro, however there was no "Test your might". I also loved the 8-bit sound , the music and impact sound were pure awesomeness.

I tried once to find it on youtube but did not have any luck...

Did anyone else play it? Did you enjoy it? Were you able to do the combos?

If you happen to have it please upload it!

Unless it was a hacked rom that had fatalities disabled, I don't think such a thing exists.

meh..... never heard of this version and ..... mk is fail without blood guts and gore MK2 > all best mk in the franchise.

Maybe it's this?

Where did you find that crap? LMAO.

I had both MK1 and 2 on SNES and yes that was mortal 1 all right but what the hell is that MK 2 with green blood and black and white fatalities?

Wherever that was done, did they really think that green instead of red will make a huge difference and bodies exploding in black and white are any less offensive LOL.

I remember having MK on Sega 8-bit where you had to push A B A C A B B to activate the blood in it, lol Takes me waaaaay back, Super Nintendo's version was newer but slower and NO or green blood... it was controversial back in the day, now it's hilarious.

Maybe it's this?

Nope,I can never find it on YT. My console got ruined so I cant upload it...The console also had one of the best James bond game ever (it wasn't a FPS), Lion King, a war tank game, power rangers, Bootleg SF2,ETC...I miss that console, it was shaped like the Sega Genesis...

Okay, my post wasn't constructive, but I have no idea what you mean... Playing as Shang and Goro, eh?

Did you mean UMK3 on Sega Genesis? =.=

...and there's fatalities... ALWAYS.

thumbnail.asp

As far as the goro thing goes...

"To play as Goro,start a game as Kano,then hold A+B+C+X+Y+Z.When you see
the toasty guy release these buttons and press Up,Down,Left,Right,Start,
Start then Press Mode 5 times.
Note:This code requires a 6-button controller"

and the difference between the genesis version and the arcade version...

"Notable Differences From Arcade Version and Other Info
------------------------------------------------------
* Rain and Noob Saibot are playable and on the select screen. They appear to
be just like their Trilogy counterparts.(No fatalities or friendships
though).
* Sheeva was removed from the game.(But her sound effects are still in the
Sound Test Menu).
* Brutalities are in!!
* The graphics/gameplay/sound effects are pretty much vintage MK3.Not a whole
lot of detail has been added in this upgrade,with the exception of the UMK3
features/characters/backgrounds.
* Animalities have been removed.
* Shao Kahn's treasure chest has only 10 boxes instead of 12.
* Most of Shao Kahn's voices are gone.You still get "Round 1" and stuff but no
spoken character names.
* No UMK3 music,only MK3 music(in fact even though the Street stage isn't in
the game it's music is in the Sound Test option in the CHEATS menu).
* Scorpion's hellraiser is different..it just takes the opponent back into
the hell stage where they just catch on fire and explode.
* Kitana's kiss of death only inflates heads..same effect as Kabal's air pump
fatality.
* Sonya's friendship is her MK3 one not her UMK3 one.
* Air juggle combos are easier to do than in the Genesis MK3 version.In fact
they fixed a lot of stuff that was wrong in MK3.
* Stages: The Subway, The Bank, The Rooftop, Soul Chamber, Kombat Temple,
The Pit 3,The Lost World, Jade's desert, Kahns Kave, Scorpion's Lair,
River Kombat.
* Uppercutting in the Subway and Soul Chamber does not take you to level
above as there is none.
* Everyone, except Human Smoke, has an intro bio.
* Everone has an ending bio."

Also, not my list.

I have nothing, since you can't play as Goro and not require a cheat device on the older games.

Last edited:
I pretty much consider the SNES version to be a "family version" - it doesn't even have green blood, it simply has no blood at all, and most of the fatalities are downright lame - there's more violent stuff than those fatalities on a modern day cartoon, if you think about it. For crying out loud, on the SNES version Kano's "fatality" is to pull out your chest hair or grab Sonya's boobs, then proceeds to admire the hand that got him to second base, so it seems... it doesn't make any sense! What about Cage's fatality: induce foot odor death?! Lol, Liu Kang's fatality sucked in any version. Only Scorpion's fatality was preserved and the Sub-Zero censored version wasn't actually bad, hence it's adaptation to MK2. But MK1 without his spine-rip is just not the same. Raiden's was okay, but can't beat the blowing head fatality of the other versions.

I grew up playing SNES, so I had to put up with the censored crap. Enjoyed the game still, but I can't say I wasn't jealous going to my friend's house to play his Genesis version with all the gore. Can't say much about the Genesis graphics and sound, they were inferior when compared with the SNES, no disrespect to Genesis owners and fans. The arcade was the ultimate version, of course, but the PC version got pretty close to it.

Nowadays I have emulators for the PC, SNES and Genesis version. The PC works with DOSbox (took me a while to figure out how the darn thing works), but some of the sounds are kinda fake and even ridiculous, and for some reason I can't get the other sound options to work, which are probably better.

But it's a shame for Nintendo, they lost a lot of money with their nonsensical version of MK1. Imagine how that game would have been with their graphics, music and all the gore in it? Woulda have been epic. Thankfully, Nintendo joined the future by learning from their past with MK2.

Back to the topic, the SNES version is as censored as it gets... and I hate that fact. The last thing I wanna do is find another one! There shouldn't have been one to begin with! I was about 10 years old when I played MK2, with the gore and all, and I didn't end up trying to kill anyone: I actually grew up just fine with the uncensored versions! If anything the MK1 censored version would be the one that would drive me to have an anger breakdown and gave me nightmares.