Fallout (1,2,3, and New Vegas)

The Enclave in FO2 are tough SOBs. While I was at the point where I could take out a group of 3, I didn't want to pick a fight with them in the Oil Rig, where they are numerous.

Albino Radscorpions.

Deathclaws in 3 you can paralyze with a dart gun, Albino Rads were fast as hell, always showed up at the worst times for me and usually snuck up from behind.

That is actually one of my favorite Fallout moments. You're walking around, hear footsteps running towards you, too scared to turn around but do it anyway and a Ghoul or Deathclaw slaps you in the face and scares the shit out of you.

I have the first two games, but could never get into them. I just got three though and the game is so addicting. It's like a FPS Elder Scrolls.

Albino Radscorpions would have been more threatening in enclosed areas. While they not slowed down by dart guns, they lack a maneuver that allows them to close the gap and attack at the same time. Every time they make an attempt at stinging, they have to stop momentarily. As long as you keep moving, you are unlikely to get hit. Granted, I tend to favor light or medium armor, so that might help somewhat in keeping out of harm's way. They do take a hell of a beating though.

Last edited:
It usually took some serious explosives to wreck them quick.

Super Mutant Overlords also get my hate. The guys that usually had the Tri Lazer Gun.

It usually took some serious explosives to wreck them quick.

Super Mutant Overlords also get my hate. The guys that usually had the Tri Lazer Gun.

I also hated the Super Mutant Overlords, those mofos were harder than the damn Behemoths :mad:

Anyone remember the Feral Ghoul Reavers? I seriously hated those assholes.

The Temple of Trials in general is a pain in the ass if you are not a unarmed or melee-oriented character. You'll be spending more than half of your fights flailing at the air, hoping you will land a hit. It seems like the purpose of the dungeon is to get players used to the general mechanics of the game, but it does a poor job at teaching them. Thankfully, after you get that section of the game over with, you immediately have access to two trainers who will bump up your melee or unarmed skills to an average level.

I don't think I could play the old ones. They seem really boring. I love the atmosphere of the new ones. Being able to see it with 'your own eyes' helps so much with the immersion

I think of the FO3 and New Vegas as RPGs for the FPS crowd. I don't mean that in an insulting way, since I do like a couple of FPSs myself. It's a just a matter of what you are accustomed to playing.

I think the original Fallouts will appeal more to people who are used to old-school rpgs, especially with turn-based battle systems. It's more methodically-paced, where you are encouraged to weigh risk and reward in combat, especially when your skill is relatively low.

I don't feel the old games are any less immersive Despite the technological gap, I think the old games did a fine job with the sprites in spite of the system limitations at the time. Through the interaction with NPCs and in-game text, you learn how far humanity has fallen when shit hits the fan.

I do agree on the sprites. The Cerberus is one fudged up creation in those games. I just feel more involved when I can pan around a scene of fallen buildings and look up to see the gloomy sky. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't deny that I'm a bit of a graphics whore. Its why I hate Chrono Trigger and love Legend of Dragoon. I get more attached to a story when I'm not laughing at how stupid everything looks.

I see Fallout fans all the time begging for a new game to be made in the classic style. Part of me wants that because they're the OG fans, but the rest of me would feel destroyed by such a thing. Anyway, rumor I posted a while back of Bethesda scoping out Boston. Can't wait for some confirmation

Okay, so I know you need Broken Steel to continue your game in FO3 after the story. However I forgot to install it and I'm at the final part in the last quest. So if I install it now will it still work?

I do agree on the sprites. The Cerberus is one fudged up creation in those games. I just feel more involved when I can pan around a scene of fallen buildings and look up to see the gloomy sky. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't deny that I'm a bit of a graphics whore. Its why I hate Chrono Trigger and love Legend of Dragoon. I get more attached to a story when I'm not laughing at how stupid everything looks.

If you don't like Chrono Trigger because of its aged graphics, you are going to have a hard time getting used to most rpgs from the the mid-90s and older. Nevertheless, everyone has a certain threshold of tolerance when it comes to graphics. I wouldn't play a game that composed of only hit-boxes and text for long; I tried playing a text-based game a long time ago, I quit after 5 minutes. I would choose better graphics when all else is being equal, but to me it's mostly about the "feel" of the game. Old-school rpg fans would probably probably come at me with torches and pitchforks, but I couldn't get into Ultima because I don't have much patience for its interface.

I see Fallout fans all the time begging for a new game to be made in the classic style. Part of me wants that because they're the OG fans, but the rest of me would feel destroyed by such a thing. Anyway, rumor I posted a while back of Bethesda scoping out Boston. Can't wait for some confirmation

I favor the old style a bit more despite playing FO3 beforehand, although its not without its share of problems. Anyways, it's highly unlikely that the game will go back to the old style. Turn-based games have fallen out of favor. The new games are more console-friendly, which means a wider distribution copies.

Combat in FO3 and New Vegas plays like a fps, but something about makes it feel underwhelming compared to dedicated fps. If you they continue to improve in that area, I would like it a lot more.

Last edited:
So.. After months and months of desiring it, I finally purchased New Vegas Ultimate edition. New Vegas was always my favorite.
But is anyone playing this on ps3 experiencing serious framerate problems? I mean, I'd get hiccups occasionally before on the vanilla version but now it lags alot. And badly too. Not even in highly populated areas either. It's really disappointing.

That shit is a damn shame. I love Bethesda's games and I love my PS3. Unfortunately Bethesda loves the 360. This love triangle hurts my heart every time.

Both Bethesda and Black Isle Studios were quite ambitious, but pressure of the business side of video game meant they fell short of what they wanted to do. The original Fallout games (which are not nowhere near as big as the modern ones) were also also pretty buggy and had some content that was ultimately cut from the retail version.