Do you think you get worse before you get better

aj327

I notice that if I just pick up a character that I barely know (like Kitana for instance) I'll often do pretty well against people of my own skill level just using here specials and maybe here 212 combo.

But if I really try and learn a character, I can really suck for a while. I think it's because I'm concentrating too hard on trying to get the perfect combo etc, and I'm trying to resist spamming in order to play my character correctly but there's so much hesitation (trying to remember what I had learned in practice mode etc.) that I sometimes just get WRECKED. Which can be pretty embarrassing because my friends will be like, "Dude weren't you practicing with him all day yesterday and today? I just f'n killed you with Shiva and I don't even know Shiva! You should find a new hobby dude...blah, blah, blah..." And all I can do is click rematch and hope for a better fight the second time around though it often doesn't go much better.

But then after a few more days or sometimes it takes even longer I finally start getting the flow of what I need to be doing and the combos I practiced finally come together and then my true Jedi powers are unleashed and I can finally whoop some ass.

louzephyr

But then after a few more days or sometimes it takes even longer I finally start getting the flow of what I need to be doing and the combos I practiced finally come together and then my true Jedi powers are unleashed and I can finally whoop some ass.

Same. I know what you mean.

When i start a new char, or i have learned new stuff in practice i suck too at first. But it's just awesome if you get the flow and you don't have to think anymore, just swim with the flow ;)

Man Eater

meh, the more frustrated I get, the worse I play. The icing on the cake is T-baggers for me lol. Once I cool-down after, I'm an unstoppable machine

boX

the reason for this is because of muscle memory.

when you first pick a new character to learn, you really focus on their move set and combos. you may even write them down. so that first day you use them, you do pretty well because you are forcing yourself to remember all the button presses.

as days 3 and 4 roll around, you'll get complacent and try to execute those moves off of memory because you THINK you have them memorized. as a result, you probably often flub up the moves and execute incorrectly. however, you keep playing that character.

as days 6 and 7 roll around, you've committed the move sets to muscle memory and now you pull off the moves w/out even thinking about it and you see your game play elevate dramatically.

works this way for everyone, on any character, on any video game.

3mag5num7

the reason for this is because of muscle memory.

when you first pick a new character to learn, you really focus on their move set and combos. you may even write them down. so that first day you use them, you do pretty well because you are forcing yourself to remember all the button presses.

as days 3 and 4 roll around, you'll get complacent and try to execute those moves off of memory because you THINK you have them memorized. as a result, you probably often flub up the moves and execute incorrectly. however, you keep playing that character.

as days 6 and 7 roll around, you've committed the move sets to muscle memory and now you pull off the moves w/out even thinking about it and you see your game play elevate dramatically.

works this way for everyone, on any character, on any video game.

Not a bad summary at all lol. Trying to go from playing one way to playing another takes time. You have to adapt to a new style, unlearn old habits, relearn new ones, etc. You go back to square one before building up off of a better foundation. Gotta sink the time in.

Flagg

I think if you want to get good at this game, you have to practice a lot in the training room and be prepared to lose a TON of your first online fights. I was like this with Jade. I was getting hammered..but a couple of days ago it just clicked and now im owning with her. That gives you more confidence. Then you find yourself performing more complex stuff in the training room which you can transfer to 1v1's.

I really, REALLY wish you could control the training dummy and record it, then practice against that. They had this feature in SF IV and it was amazing. Basically if there is something you can't deal with, you could replicate it in the training room, and then using your character find a way round it. Right now all you can do is beat the training dummy up.

I also find, that i find it hard to beat bad players at times, as strange as that sounds. Against someone who know's what they are doing, the game becomes a psychological battle of wits. With noobs, I have NO IDEA what they are going to do and it really throws me sometimes! The thing with noobs though is they rarely use the block button so you can spam projectiles at them till they either die, or you "condition them", in which case you can then close in for the kill.