Do you think fighting games will get their due in proper televised events?

Drakilla

Fighting games are a unique thing among video games. The mental strategy and physical reflexes you need to win at the highest levels are superb. It's similar IMO to tennis, where both players are not exactly physically interacting with each other but are still using spacing, set-ups, and insane hand-eye coordination against one another.

Unfortunately the studio execs always go the facepalming, cheesy way for videogames on TV. I know they use to show Madden tournaments on ESPN that drifted away from the typical geekiness, something that I think should be done with the fighting game scene. Madden relies too much on the computer for gameplay (with the stats, percentages, and computer AI). Fighters all rely on the individual's performance. And with good personalities and presentation to really detail what's happening, I think something like EVO would be amazing on TV.

Eswin17

BANALITY
Uhhh, no. For as much as I like video games, they aren't a sport, so don't compare it to even tennis. There are tournaments viewable online, that is good enough. The ratings a MK tournament would get on TV would be laughable.

Drakilla

Uhhh, no. For as much as I like video games, they aren't a sport, so don't compare it to even tennis. There are tournaments viewable online, that is good enough. The ratings a MK tournament would get on TV would be laughable.

I said it's similiar to tennis, and it is. Take something like poker that's shown constantly on TV, even ESPN that has NOTHING to do with anything "sporty". Even golf, which I really like, I don't consider a sport, because there's no interaction between the players.

Eswin17

BANALITY
I said it's similiar to tennis, and it is. Take something like poker that's shown constantly on TV, even ESPN that has NOTHING to do with anything "sporty". Even golf, which I really like, I don't consider a sport, because there's no interaction between the players.
It is nothing like tennis. Tennis takes real physical skill and coordination, not pressing controller buttons. Video games are still video games, no matter how competitive the multiplayer is.

I don't consider Poker a sport, but it has a much larger following than video game tournaments.

mrodz

No,
only game i can being televised is Starcraft 2 because of the length of the games and the amount of skill required,
i'm not saying people who play fighting games have less skill, just that RTS games requires more intellect than other games

FlawlessVictor

Poker and tennis are good games to play, but I personally find them deadly dull to watch.

Anyways, I do watch fighting game matches from time to time, but I'm not sure if there is a following to justify them being televised. Fighting are not exactly at their peak of popularity. Even for people who do like fighting games, most do not appreciate their nuances to see beyond combos and other flashy moves.