Disappointing X3 Review

ChiefThunder

But I trust what this guys says. I have been going to this site for 7 years and he's never really been wrong about a review. Also he gave X3 a 5/10, pretty damn dismal. Here goes.

http://www.joblo.com/reviews.php?mode=joblo_movies&id=1427

My least favorite of the three X-MEN movies, but definitely not a disaster by any means, with an interesting enough plotline to make for an okay bookend to the series (somehow, I don’t think this is the “last stand” though) and a pretty cool final 20 minutes of jam-packed action. Unfortunately, the film featured way too many negative points for me to dismiss, including the fact that this is likely the one X-MEN movie that I can’t see myself watching over again, as it doesn’t really have all that much coolness going for it, or anything original that we haven’t seen before, with only Wolverine sticking out as the continuing master of kickass in this one, while the rest of the bunch just sorta go through the motions. The plot, in fact, is one of the film’s lesser qualities as it does establish an interesting premise (there is a “cure” for being a mutant, i.e. being gay, different, etc… -- they’ve removed all of the subtext now, they’re now hammering it into our heads), but they stretch that shit out for about an hour, to the point that you’re just begging them to get it over with already (we know it’s all heading for a showdown, so let’s get on with it already). The film also runs a little over 95 minutes, so it’s easily the least developed of the three flicks, which is ironic since it also contains the most characters. And that was my biggest complaint of all. The film features way too many new “lame-duck” mutants, while it gets rid of too many of the cooler, better known ones.

I know people will always complain about what mutant is their favorite and so forth, but I’m not complaining about that. I’m saying that if you’re gonna be introducing so many new mutants into the equation, you better develop them a little, rather than tossing them a costume and a couple of one-liners. Also, why do all of the new “bad guy” mutants look like goth punks with tattoos and Prince haircuts? Lame-o. And Magneto’s new right-hand man looked a little too much like Jamie Kennedy, and didn’t seem to do much, other than stand around and ooze little charisma. Juggernaut was also extremely disappointing with Vinnie Jones trying his best in muscle prosthetics, but not even coming close to the massive powerhouse that his character is in the comics. Also, his line, “I’m Juggernaut, bitch!” was about as corny as they come. The film also included a couple of hokey sequences, like one in which Wolverine delivers a maudlin “pep talk” to his team before they go out to battle (“We’re the X-Men…”, blah-blah), but the stuff between he and Famke Janssen’s character was dead-on, as was anything between Professor X and Magneto. It also sucked that Halle Berry’s Storm character was given all of these extra lines and coverage in this round, as she’s actually one of the boringest mutants around. On the other end of the scale, slick mutants like Colussus, Iceman, Mystique, Angel and Cyclops are underused and given a couple of throwaway lines here and there (and where’s the awesome Nightcrawler?).

Wow, it seems like I’m complaining a lot about the film, eh? Maybe it wasn’t as “so-so” as I thought when I started to write this review. On the positive end, the special effects were solid across the board, there was one cool fight sequence between Juggernaut and Wolverine, the Phoenix storyline was worked in nicely and I like what ultimately became of Magneto. But all that said, I think my positive feelings about this movie have more to do with my nostalgia from the first two much better films, rather than anything new that was brought forth in this one. In fact, there wasn’t anything of the “new stuff” that particularly caught my fancy this time around, just elements from the older films that I continued to enjoy. Not many real action scenes either. All that to say, the series didn’t get messed up because of this latest entry, but the final installment was definitely the least developed of them all. I don’t really blame Brett Ratner so much, since his directing in the film is actually decent, but rather, the people behind the production who lost the great Bryan Singer for part three, and decided to go ahead and hurry things up anyway, so that they can hit their release date. In my book, that’s no way to make a good movie. That starts from a well-developed screenplay and game plan, which was obviously missing here. Catch this one on video and gimme my WOLVERINE movie already!!

Last edited:

Jade

This guy is a total fag. Let me elaborate.

First, Callisto had tattoos. Her gang didn't, they were all just some messed up mutants but they actually made them look cooler in the movie by giving them those tattoos.

Second, the cure IS a big deal, that is why they talk about it so much. People like Rogue would do anything to cure themselves and live normal lives. Would you like to live life not being able to touch another person? Please, anyone would be as interested as hearing about this "breakthrough" that would make an impact on how a mutant lives.

Third, Storm boring? What a deuche. Storm is the best, period. She is the leader of the Gold Team. LEADER. Did she seem like a leader in the first two X-Men movies? Hell no. She was a pussy. In this movie, they made her step up and make decisions and be a little more like Cyclops. She actually lived up more to that leadership role. That's why she had so many lines and did a lot more in this movie.

Fourth, does this idiot realize what Juggernaut looks like in the comics? He was damn huge. This guy wasn't as big but it was good enough. It probably wouldn't work if they made him gigantic and I would f*cking hate to see a CGI Juggernaut. He was a bit of a joker too so I don't think his lines were too far away from what his character might actually say.

Fifth, the "we're the X-Men" speeches are meant to show that Wolverine, who is usually a one man army, I work alone type of guy, is willing to put that aside and realizes he is part of a team and he should start acting like it.

Sixth, underused? Is this guy on crack? Mystique was in the other two movies in practically every scene with the bad guys so I think people can go without seeing her every 5 seconds in this movie. Iceman and Shadowcat had MANY scenes so I don't know what movie this jerk was watching and Nightcrawler wasn't in it because HE SUCKS. Colossus was a little underused but he had his scene time. It's not like the guy was in it for 6 seconds. Cyclops was underused though, I agree with that. I think Angel was a little underused as well. He was a great addition but didn't do much.

Finally, the only thing this idiot should be whining about is the fact that Gambit wan't in it. Gambit is the coolest mutant ever and he wasn't even in any of the X-Men movies. That is my only problem with the 3 films.

This guy needs to actually pick up an X-Men comic for once. He's an idiot.

I agree with what you say,(except with what you said about Nightcrawler lol) however I prefer X2. X3 was good and acceptable for a third film. I just wanted more character development like Juggs acknowledging that Professor X was his half bro for example. They should have mentioned it, but w/e. The movie was fast. I would have wanted it to be a bit longer. Gambit is the man and not having him in any of the three sucks. He better be in the next films if they decide to make them. I would make a good Gambit *Cough*

Prophet

XxJadexX said:
This guy is a total fag. Let me elaborate.

First, Callisto had tattoos. Her gang didn't, they were all just some messed up mutants but they actually made them look cooler in the movie by giving them those tatoos.

Second, the cure IS a big deal, that is why they talk about it so much. People like Rogue would do anything to cure themselves and live normal lives. Would you like to live life not being able to touch another person? Please, anyone would be as interested as hearing about this "breakthrough" that would make an impact on how a mutant lives.

Third, Storm boring? What a deuche. Storm is the best, period. She is the leader of the Gold Team. LEADER. Did she seem like a leader in the first two X-Men movies? Hell no. She was a pussy. In this movie, they made her step up and make decisions and be a little more like Cyclops. She actually lived up more to that leadership role. That's why she had so many lines and did a lot more in this movie.

Fourth, does this idiot realize what Juggernaut looks like in the comics? He was damn huge. This guy wasn't as big but it was good enough. It probably wouldn't work if they made him gigantic and I would f*cking hate to see a CGI Juggernaut. He was a bit of a joker too so I don't think his lines were too far away from what his character might actually say.

Fifth, the "we're the X-Men" speeches are meant to show that Wolverine, who is usually a one man army, I work alone type of guy, is willing to put that aside and realizes he is part of a team and he should start acting like it.

Sixth, underused? Is this guy on crack? Mystique was in the other two movies in practically every scene with the bad guys so I think people can go without seeing her every 5 seconds in this movie. Iceman and Shadowcat had MANY scenes so I don't know what movie this jerk was watching and Nightcrawler wasn't in it because HE SUCKS. Colossus was a little underused but he had his scene time. It's not like the guy was in it for 6 seconds. Cyclops was underused though, I agree with that. I think Angel was a little underused as well. He was a great addition but didn't do much.

Finally, the only thing this idiot should be whining about is the fact that Gambit wan't in it. Gambit is the coolest mutant ever and he wasn't even in any of the X-Men movies. That is my only problem with the 3 films.

This guy needs to actually pick up an X-Men comic for once. He's an idiot.

Jade is so cute ^^

I've seen both X-Mens, so I'll probably see this one later today.

JSOOGZ

Yeah the movie was good, although some parts were kind of fucked up, but I can live with that.

mother fucking spolers bitch

i liked x3, good ass movie, although they didnt elaborate on pheonix as much as i wanted to see, but i liked it, beast can kick ass, did anyone stick around after the credits? aparently professor x isnt dead, or its just a littlejoke

The Immortal King

im_a_loner_dottie_a_rebel said:
i liked x3, good ass movie, although they didnt elaborate on pheonix as much as i wanted to see, but i liked it, beast can kick ass, did anyone stick around after the credits? aparently professor x isnt dead, or its just a littlejoke.
Well done, you just gave away that xavier dies. try a spoiler warning next time. I would never give endings away :wink:

Ethix

*Spoiler warning, because if you're a dumbass and came into this thread labeled 'REVIEW' and didn't think you'd get spoiled...well...*

I'm not sure how I feel about this movie just yet, I liked it as a popcorn flick but at the same time, as an X-men movie it felt a bit unsatisfying.

I'm not sure why, I didn't mind that they changed the whole Phoenix's background thing, it's believable to a certain extent, but I did mind when they killed Scott so early into the film and then never showed anything but his shades and gravestone afterwards. Killing Prof. X bothered me, can they even do that? Kill Charles Xavier? But while I didn't stay past the credits, I caught the teaser after the credits - "I'm no liar?" or was he saying the Doctor's name? He probably did say "Moira." Did he get transferred into that dead guy's body? Possible Onslaught storyline, maybe? Maybe it'll be handled a bit better than this Dark-X-man story was?

The whole movie just felt different than the others, less sleek and polished, focusing on the characters themselves instead of the action, and more rough and reliant on super-special effects. Too much 'flash' and not enough substance. It just felt different and even though I know they changed directors, did they change writers, too?

The actors were great - Jackman spewing out somewhat cheesy Action lines but still sounding awesome; Grammer's Beast was great; Storm stayed the same, nothing. But, the story just tried to do too much and it didn't work out...I mean, the love-triangle thing was just barely touched upon, and it went nowhere. The outcome was Rogue losing her powers and becoming 'normal,' for some boy. You just didn't get a 'feel' for these characters, granted we got enough of that during the other movies, but what about Angel and Beast? Angel just came out in a few scenes, even though his father was a major player, but didn't leave a major impact. Beast was handled a little better, but just seemed to come out...and be there. Wasn't Hank McCoy still human during the last movie (the bar scene, on the TV)? So how come he acted like he'd been an X-men for years? Was he for or against the Mutant agenda during this time, and if it's the latter it's all cleared up...if not, major plot whole.

...It's sad I was the only one who laughed at the whole "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" thing during the movie: majorly cheesy, yes, but I just bust out laughing when I heard. It just came out of nowhere, and, just wow. Oh yeah, he didn't do much, did he? It would've been swell if Charles had met him, but alas, he 'died' before that...or didn't recognize him.

The Pyro vs. Iceman fight at the end...DBZ anyone?

Ethix

The Immortal King said:
Review doesnt mean you give away the ending :wink:
Xavier died about an hour into the film, Scott five minutes into it. Though, I do admit, I might have given much away in my thoughts about the film, but who cares? I had a warning! =P

K1LLKANO

Y'all are all so out of the loop. This is why the line from Juggernaut was so hysterical.

I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

As for the movie, It left me wanting a lot more. It was okay, but I felt the story was a little weak. So many characters were never fleshed out as much as they should have been. Rogue was just some chick that stole your powers, her story never got far enough to where other mutants' powers never permanantly imprinted on her (Ms. Marvel). Iceman took 3 frigging movies to Ice up. Collosus didn't get enough screen time. Pheonix never erupted into a flaming bird.

I didn't hate it or even dislike it. It was enjoyable. I just think and wish it had been a lot more.

And I agree with Image, I want to see Gambit!

ChiefThunder

K1LLKANO said:
As for the movie, It left me wanting a lot more. It was okay, but I felt the story was a little weak. So many characters were never fleshed out as much as they should have been. Rogue was just some chick that stole your powers, her story never got far enough to where other mutants' powers never permanantly imprinted on her (Ms. Marvel). Iceman took 3 frigging movies to Ice up. Collosus didn't get enough screen time. Pheonix never erupted into a flaming bird.

I didn't hate it or even dislike it. It was enjoyable. I just think and wish it had been a lot more.

And I agree with Image, I want to see Gambit!

I agree with all that, especially after just having seen X3. I enjoyed it and want to se more too. Maybe there will be a direstors cut with more of what we wanted?

El Chupacabra

I thought the movie was pretty awful.

From the opening scene, which I didn't like, you could feel the change in director. The movie really didn't have a strong story, there was little to no character development, the X-Roster was a joke with just Storm and Logan basicaly. Sure, Beast was there but his role in this movie was pretty poorly done. He really didn't seem to have any point. Cyclops should not have been killed for any reason what so ever - especially that early. The Government's involvement was bad. The entire mutant "cure" didn't seem to be handled quite right. Phoenix really was poorly done and Jean didn't seem to have any point in the story what so ever. She just stood there and killed things. Even if you liked this movie, which really sucked, you have to admit there was no real direction or story.

Nothing gripped you. You felt no attachment or feelings for the characters. Juggernaught was a joke and shouldn't have been used. Shadowcat was about 10 years old and Bobby Drake is about 2x her age. Their role was weak as was Colossus. I'm glad Rogue was out of it as she isn't interesting in the movies ... and not even in the comics since she lost all her powers.

I just thought it was a bad movie. My brother did as well. It honestly feels exactly like a new writer/artist taking over a comic book and not doing a good job (or like a special guest appearance for a story arc or something). That's exactly what it felt like here - new director who just didn't get it done.

Movie wasn't any good. Bottom Line.

ChiefThunder

Was Omega Red in X3? I read somewhere that he was. And who was that asian pinhead wannabe? Yeah, Grogro, Kitty was realyl cute.