Dash vs Dash Cancel

Vulcan Hades

Dash is when you have the full animation of the dash. So the dash is complete. (F, F then press nothing)

Dash cancel is when you cancel/interrupt the start/middle of the dash to do something else. (so like, you're character doesn't complete the dash but he starts dashing then does something else)

A dash animation can be canceled at any point with block, stance, jump, crouch or any attack.

This also works with backdash btw.

Last edited:

3mag5num7

Dash is when you have the full animation of the dash. So the dash is complete. (F, F then press nothing)

Dash cancel is when you cancel/interrupt the start/middle of the dash to do something else. (so like, you're character doesn't complete the dash but he starts dashing then does something else)

A dash animation can be canceled at any point with block, stance, jump, crouch or any attack.

This also works with backdash btw.

This 100%.

Dash blocking is a huge tool in MK9. Closing on Ermac with his Force Push is best dealt with via dash canceling, as is Smoke's Smoke Bomb, and you can even break Sub-Zero's Ice Clones if you time it so your block hits the Clone.

aj327

So you push f,f then block for example? Do you push block immediately after ff? I do dash block all the time to close the distance when I'm using JC, but you're saying that I'm more protected if I just try and push block sooner?

yautjared

Depends .....

Dash is the simple fact you advance a little , on screen, forward, or, backing off, doing the backdash

Dash cancel, yeah, it's canceling the dash with another move, but, this term is used too, for, example, as cancelling some moves using dash movement :

- Sub-Zero ice claw
- Ermac force punch
- Johnny Cage energy punch
- Jax ground and pound

etc ....

So, you can dash cancel them, doing the dash move while the animation just not ended.

Vulcan Hades

So you push f,f then block for example? Do you push block immediately after ff? I do dash block all the time to close the distance when I'm using JC, but you're saying that I'm more protected if I just try and push block sooner?
"Dash Block" is a defensive technique used to close distance vs zoners.

To do it you do this: F, F then cancel the dash with block. Then to continue dash blocking, you just have to do: F, block, F, block, F, Block etc.

But you have to do it fast enough for the shortcut to work.

You are protected as long as you're in block frames. Of course as soon as you release block you become vulnerable. But dash blocking can reduce the "vulnerable gap" I guess..

Last edited:

Vulcan Hades

Just as reference, I like to point out this match at PowerUp to explain to people what dash blocking is and why it's so useful and crucial in certain matchups.

Here you see REO (cyber sub-zero) abusing that technique vs Floe (Ermac)

Match starts at 1:30 or so

That's a universal thing and how any character should be fighting Ermac and Noob btw.

Last edited: