Cyber Sub-Zero Thread - "You Are Not So Fearsome!"

hi all
here is my advanced Kombo for my Cyber Sub-Zero

thats sick. i cant pull it off online cuz you gotta be quick as heck with up+4 or he will be slammed into the ground and you cant slide.

that lag just doesnt let me register it fast enough. still cool tho

thats sick. i cant pull it off online cuz you gotta be quick as heck with up+4 or he will be slammed into the ground and you cant slide.

practice man. even on controller i can nail it online, the key is not to trust your eyes with what your seeing online, and trust your hours of practice on input timing. i start inputting my dash as he is performing (halfway to towards the end i dont remember) the animation of his 1+2 and i hit almost every time.

the worst thing you can do online is trust your eyes and adjust accordingly.

good for me I only play offline with my friends
I can't stand the lag :(

practice man. even on controller i can nail it online, the key is not to trust your eyes with what your seeing online, and trust your hours of practice on input timing. i start inputting my dash as he is performing (halfway to towards the end i dont remember) the animation of his 1+2 and i hit almost every time.

^this.... trust ur eyes tnx to lag even if ur fingers are telling u to press the commands and ull fail the combo

Fantastic advice, man. It's one of the things that has made the biggest difference for me in my online play. I've got Sub-Zero down pat, but when I start trying to react exclusively to what I'm seeing, I start whiffing. Relying on the practice I put in is what gets me my wins. It's pretty obvious once you hear it, but it can pass right over your head until then.

great thread i find csz one of the best characters in the game way cooler than the human.
umm yea about dudes with good anti air like kung or kabal the ex-teleport always hits them back.
btw i am a quite good csz player but i never use the ice bombs, it's just not useful for me traps and all

Hello everyone! I've been an avid human Sub-Zero user, and I've been interested in Cyber Sub-Zero for the longest time. I just claimed the gamertag LK52O, so I guess it's time to start practicing him! I'll note anything useful I find in the upcoming weeks.

csz is a good fighter but just good, i mean he can be annoying with his dive kicks but i just discovered that it can be countered with so many specials such as jax's running punch jc's shadow kick scorpion's spear and raiden's torpedo or any fast special in the game which makes his air game limited specially against fighters who can juggle from specials as in scorpion's spear just block the dive kick and throw a spear and you have a combo of choice.
his mix up is not reliable against rushers and the bombs just needs great skill and wits to trap ur opponent.
his parry is great specially the ex it gives you a combo and his ice great in projectile wars even if it's really slow.
so over all he is good not great high mid tier at best.

heres a question for everyone.

what do i do to keep pressure after 3,3,2 or 3,4? i tend to have trouble there.

-Hit confirm into slide. If 3,4 connects you can do dash b2,2 slide for decent damage
-End block strings with ice parry
-Grab
-Jump over them and start another string
-Jump back and do a dive kick
-You eat a full combo because instead of doing 332 you throw a random ice bomb LOL. Damn they need to patch this :p

Cyber Sub-Zero's specials mapping needs a complete rehaul. I hear so much about people throwing out accidental specials when trying to pressure.

To match Cyrax and stop accidental bombs, bombs should be remapped to 4.

Since Far Bomb may now trigger Ice Slide accidentally, Ice Slide should be remapped to 3.

To match all other characters, the teleport should be remapped to 4.

To match Sub-Zero's Ice Clone, the Ice Counter should be remapped to 1. What it is doing up in the 2 region anyway?

And finally, although I'm a Sub-Zero fan, Ice Ball at DF1 is a far better idea than DF3 and should stay.

Overall, the moveset should be:

(Bombs and teleport in the 4 region)

Close Bomb: BB4
Medium Bomb: FF4
Far Bomb: BFF4
Teleport: DB4

(Only the slide in the 3 region to stop all the 33 string accidents)

Ice Slide: BF3

(The ice moves in the 1 region)

Ice Counter: DB1
Ice Ball: DF1

(Nothing in the 2 region, whose idea was that?)

What does everyone think?

This section of the Cyber Sub-Zero thread will be divided into X-Ray, Meter, and No Meter Kombos. Have at it!
X-Ray Combos
52% 11 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Jump xx X-Ray (Credit to bmsirhc!)
48% 10 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2 xx X-Ray (Credit to bmsirhc!)
47% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, Jump Forward, X-Ray (Jump immediately after 2+1 !)
46% 8 Hits: B+1, Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, Jump Forward, X-Ray (Jump immediately after 2+1 !)
38% 6 Hits: 2,1 xx Ice Ball, Jump, X-Ray
Meter Combos
31% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, EX Slide
29% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,2,1 xx EX Slide
23% 4 Hits: EX Ice Bomb, B+3,2,1
Meterless Combos
[Corner Only] 44% 12 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, [3,4]x3 xx Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)
38% 11 Hits: j.1, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, j.1, 2,1,1+2, dash, f.1,4 (Credit to Sektorpionax-Zero!)
36% 11 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, 2, 1, Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)
32% 10 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2, dash, 2, 1, Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)
32% 9 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice bomb, dash, Ice counter) (Credit to bmsirhc!)
32% 9 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice Bomb, Ice Freeze) (Credit to bmsirhc!)
32% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, j.4 xx Divekick
26% 8 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, B+1,2 (Second hit of B+1,2 should whiff)
27% 7 Hits: j.2, B+1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, j.4 xx Divekick
27% 7 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, B+3,2,1
23% 5 Hits: B+1 xx Ice Ball, F+1, 4. (credit to Demetrius!)
21% 5 Hits: B+1 xx Ice Ball, B+3,2,1

I figured it out but you've got to be more specific in your jump patterns in the future. Specify njp(neutral jump punch), jps(jump in starter), or fjp(forward jump punch). All of the combos listed are jps combos.
Otherwise this is a great thread, thanks.

FYI-Going through these combos again I noticed the damage count doesn't add up to whats listed here which makes me think CSZ was nerfed :( .........both SZ and CSZ have been nerfed BAD in all these updates. Why haven't any of the other fighters?

Last edited:
well as of last week the combos still did the listed damage so i dunno.

either way dont look at it as singling the subbies out. chars do there amount of damage for a reason, if they get nerfed/buffed its because it was felt that with everything they brought to the table gameplaywise they needed more/less damage.

i agreed with subs damage nerf, i mean, at one point his xray didnt scale, thats just broken. cyrax damage nerfs (well bombtrap but it worked out the same) reptile damage nerfs (with everythign he brought to the table he really was doing too much damage.

im actually sorta waiting for ermac damage nerfs eventually tho im not 100% sure if hed deserve them since hes a great midrange zoner/damager but not much else.

general rule of thumb...lack of versatility=more damage

the more versatility/adaptability=less damage.

there are other factors, just the generalized version

i compiled this for my own list of notes figured id post it here. Keep in mind when i say "best" or "highest damage" there may be others actually higher, but they are VERY strict and this list was made with playing online in mind, as such they have to be both effective and reliable, every combo i list will be very reliable once practiced.

Cyber Sub Zero's combos for every situation. (non xray)

BnB midscreen

2,1 xx iceball, JiP,2,1,1+2, dash, u+4 xx slide (40%)
-This is your go to kombo as 2,1 is hit confirmable (make it moreso with a JiP!). It does the most damage and is easier to perform then the other bnb's

b+3,2, dash, 2,1, dash, f+2,2,1 xx slide (27%)
-This is his best low hitting mixup string, tho i believe it is not safe.

3,3,2, slide (21%)
-This si his SAFE low hitting mixup string, not as much damage but hey...its safe.

3,4, dash, b+2,2 xx slide (26%)
-This is his best overhead mixup string, I believe it is also safe!

Ice Bomb (freezes) 3,4, dash, b+2,2 xx slide (31%)
-This is his best damaging kombo for when a Ice Bomb freezes his opponent

Ice Ball (freezes opponent in air) 3,4, dash, b+2,2 xx slide (23%)
-This is his best damaging kombo when freezing a opponent in midair with Ice Ball

One Bar:

3,3 xx Ice Beam JiP, 2,1,1+2, dash, u+4 xx slide (40%)
-the usefullness in this isnt its damage (same as bnb meterless) but that it uses the low hit in your safe low string to start it. good mixup potential.

3,4, dash, b+2,2 xx Ice Beam, dash, f+2,2,1 xx slide (31%)
-highest damage midscreen overhead starter he can manage with one bar.

Ice Beam/EX Parry (freezes them in air) 3,4, dash, b+2,2 xx slide (23%)
-his best kombo off of a frozen target in air from Icebeam/EX Parry

Corner:

2,1 xx Ice Ball, JiP,2,1,1+2, NjP,3,4, 3,3,2 xx slide (45%)
-his highest damage meterless corner kombo

3,3,2, d+1, 1,1,1 xx Ice Ball, F+2,2,1 xx slide (31%)
-His highest damage wall kombo that starts low

3,4, 2,1,1+2, 3,4, 3,3 xx slide (38%)
-His highest damage corner kombo that starts overhead

One Bar-Corner:

3,3 xx Ice Beam, JiP,2,1,1+2, NjP,3,4, 3,3,2 xx Slide (45%)
-His best one bar corner kombo, starts with a low string, best used if you having trouble getting damage in when you have them cornered.