Creator of Mortal Kombat: Legacy to Develop MK Movie

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
After the massive success of the online digital series, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/show/mortalkombatlegacy">Mortal Kombat: Legacy</a>, <b>Kevin Tancharoen</b> has been given the green light by <b>Warner Bros.</b> to fully develop a return of <b>Mortal Kombat</b> to the big screen. According to the <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mortal-kombat-video-game-headed-242218">Hollywood Reporter</a> and <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/KTANCH/status/119509407057985536">Tancharoen</a> himself, <b>New Line</b> has tapped <b>Tancharoen</b> and original <b>Rebirth</b> writer <b>Oren Uziel</b> to bring back the <b>Mortal Kombat</b> series to the big screen.

The short was viewed more than 10 million times on YouTube, and although no movie deal materialized, he was asked to direct the 10-episode web series, which debuted in April, attracting more than 15 million unique visitors.

Off that success, Warners and New Line execs thought it was time to try to revisit a big-screen effort. (New Line made a Mortal Kombat movie in 1995, which grossed more than $70 million domestically and helped launch a directing career for Paul W. S. Anderson. A follow-up movie in 1997, however, fizzled.)

We wish all the best to Tancharoen and Uziel and can't wait for the final product on the silver screen!

Great news. Cannot wait to see which direction they go with this movie, and how it turns out.

WOW! Congrats Mr. Tanchereon! I really hope they go the Rebirth direction though! It was really awesome to see what they did with all of the characters.

I hope they step up the already wonderful visual effects with this one. Take MK back to it's true roots please!

Can't fricken wait!

ehh no thanks. I'm not into this Nolan inspired shit the web series brought us. I'm assuming it will be like the web series if the creator is involved. Which blows. I dont understand the obsession with everything trying to be all realistic these day. It works for things such as 007, but not for MK

now a movie that's done in the style of MK9? I'm all up for that. Just imagine the seeing all the iconic stages in the series done with the effects they could do now. And those fatalities!

i think this is a great thing!! the web series was much more realistic and gritty. the raiden episode just was outstanding, emotional and beautiful. im very proud of kevin and I cant wait to see the final product. Im just really hoping for a hardcore R rated film. not a dumbed down pg-13 version. MK is a M rated game and the film should represent that also. the pg-13 first film, while good, was still missing that mature feeling.

ehh no thanks. I'm not into this Nolan inspired shit the web series brought us. I'm assuming it will be like the web series if the creator is involved. Which blows. I dont understand the obsession with everything trying to be all realistic these day. It works for things such as 007, but not for MK

now a movie that's done in the style of MK9? I'm all up for that. Just imagine the seeing all the iconic stages in the series done with the effects they could do now. And those fatalities!

well given your wile e. coyote avatar i can assume your not into mature realism. i hope you open your mind to the amazing possibilities of the new MK director. or you can watch the mk cartoons if thats your speed.

well given your wile e. coyote avatar i can assume your not into mature realism. i hope you open your mind to the amazing possibilities of the new MK director. or you can watch the mk cartoons if thats your speed.
yes, how did you guess my secret, I am so obsessed with cartoons that I moved into Toon Town from Who Framed Roger rabbit and I am posting to you from my house and dumbo and micky mouse are in my backyard as we speak.

on topic, whatever style they make this movie, at least make it super violent. That's Mk's seeling point. We dont want anything watered down for the mainstream. No pg-13 please.

IT HAS BEGUN!

Seriously can't wait for this. MK Legacy was monumentally awesome, and if Tancharoen and Uziel combine elements of Legacy with a slab of rated-R-gore-horror-martial-arts, then I am sure this will be a reel treat for MK fans worldwide. With that said, I do hope that this will be the one and only all-time BEST video game movie ever created. Stay true to MK (characters, fatalities, stages/ realms, blood & gore), and all should be well. I have faith that this will slay.

HYPE METER THRU THE ROOF!!! XD

Realism =/= Mortal Kombat. Rebirth had more of a "SAW" type of horror grittiness, which MK doesn't need. MK needs to have that mystical feel, with a balance of maturity to it.

I'll reserve judgement for the trailer, but in general, video-game movies have been -_________________________-

Honestly, this is the best news ive heard in this last decade. I cant wait, kevin is the man to make it happen. Congrats to all the mk team and good luck!!!!!!!!

we really havnt had a movie that was faithfull to the games.

while the 1995 mortal kombat was good for what it was. People now want to see more than just the first game turned into a movie (plus that movie wasnt even violent like the game)

the MK series has evolved since 1992, and a movie based on all these games has a lot of potential. I want to see a kickass movie with scenes like Kung Lao fighting Baraka and tarkatans at the dead pool and Kung lao slicing off groups of tarkatan heads with his hat in an epic battle. And if they want to keep it like the web series, then you can say goodbye to all these ideas you may have in mind that are based on the games.

But I dont know why we are making a big deal out of this. Video game movies suck for the most part. And just cause it's about mortal kombat that doesnt mean it's going to be good. Even if it's based on mk9, it could still suck

we really havnt had a movie that was faithfull to the games.

while the 1995 mortal kombat was good for what it was. People now want to see more than just the first game turned into a movie (plus that movie wasnt even violent like the game)

the MK series has evolved since 1992, and a movie based on all these games has a lot of potential. I want to see a kickass movie with scenes like Kung Lao fighting Baraka and tarkatans at the dead pool and Kung lao slicing off groups of tarkatan heads with his hat in an epic battle. And if they want to keep it like the web series, then you can say goodbye to all these ideas you may have in mind that are based on the games.

Thank you, for being a voice of reason.
I agree with you for the most part.
Unfortunately, something like that probably won't happen unless you go into making an NC-17 or R-rated film.

While I want this to succeed, going about this film in the style of "Rebirth" is not the way to do it.
Save the dark-and-grittiness for a film like "Silent Hill," which was fantastic because it was a horror game.
MK is not a horror game.

Im sure Boon will be behind the whole project plus by the experience and research from the first two movies and legacy i have faith the story will be really good so im not worried about that, one of the biggest worries are in the casting field. They need to get some good actors in that really fit the characters. I dont want to see some big star skinny weak loser playing any of the ninjas please.

ooh i hope they put freddy krueger in the movie since there was a need to put him in the game, it will attract more people ya know? its sad i am being sarcastic but would not be surprised if they actually did it. then we can bring in jason, ash and all the other highly requested characters its the same thing right? LOL

If it's gonna be anything like Rebirth of Legacy, it's gonna suck and not capture the feeling presented in the games (especially the originals).

Swapping out the guys who played Jax and Kano might salvage the production, though. Aside from that, I smell a standard crap VG adaptation of Tekken, Max Payne and Chun Li caliber.

I Read this a min ago from the link Warner bros put on twitter,they said the movie should come out in" 2013 IN LINE WITH THE NEXT GAME" there's ur MK10 release.

Even tho that was pretty much a given.