An open letter to NRS and Boon about Freddy.

Demetrius

Hello everyone. I am going to be talking a bit about Freddy in this, and how his inclusion is already a dissapointment to me. Not because I hate guest characters OR Freddy in particular, but because I finally realized what is wrong with this game for me, due to talking to a friend of mine who pointed it out. If you guys agree with this, please post it on Boon's Twitter (Noobde) to try to get him to read it.

Anyway, I am already disappointed with Freddy, and I can tell you why. Freddy breaks his character mold by using two claws instead of one, because it would be "complicated" due to stance switching and having one hand clawed and one hand not. I can see that from a designer standpoint, and it allows him to be made to the same standard as other characters. But that's just the problem with Mortal Kombat; every character plays the same.

Now, I know there are different strategies per character (Noob plays totally different than Johnny, for instance), but still, the basic motions you have to know are Down Forward, Down Back, Forward Back, and the occasional Down Up. There are only two exceptions to this, and that's Johnny Cage and Mileena, which reverses it to Back Down.

I personally think there is too few differences between the characters. I could NEVER perform Sonya's Projectile to save my life, but then I started playing Kabal, picked up Sonya again for a Challenge, and had no problem doing her projectile. While this isn't a bad thing, it does kind of take a bit of fun out of playing different characters. When you pick up Character X, it's no different from playing Character Y, except for timing and knowing his/her one or two pop up combos. Seriously, look at certain characters like Smoke or Baraka; every single combo anyone has found envolves using their pop ups repeatedly combined with specials.

Anyway, let me explain why I think Freddy will already be a disappointment. They made him a character that uses two claws instead of one; Not only does that not make him Freddy anymore, it's just lazy character design, in my humble opinion. Freddy could have been special, with only one claw and then HAVING to learn how to use Stance Switching to access certain moves, or increased damage in a certain stance. This would have made Freddy an interesting character for advanced players, as BOTH players would have to pay attention to his stance in order to block certain attacks. If that proves to be too complicated, it would be awesome just to have increased/decreased damage in a certain stance, due to not having the claw on one hand.

Now, I know it's too late for Freddy, but look at Ashley Williams; he has a chainsaw for his hand. If you were to give him two chainsaw hands, that's no longer Ashley Williams. Say you give him half the amount of combos when his front is to the player, half when his back is turned; which would change depending on if he is to the left or right (Or rather, certain combos with his Chainsaw hand is up close, certain combos when his normal hand is up close). Yes, lots of people would say he sucks, but a good player who learned how to play him would be a monster due to his unpredictability.

Now, I'm not saying Ashley Williams should be DLC; I just thought it would be easy to get my point across with another "person" who had one thing very specific to his arm. I also bring this whole post up because, as several people have stated, their problem with this game is that most characters play too similar, and there is little to learn between characters.

But that's the point I want ot make; there needs to be a character or two that just plays so far out of the norm that he is viable just from sheer differentness, and since there is currently no point in having a Stance Switch button, I figured that making it CENTRAL to a character would be the best way to both make a total left feild ball park character, and giving us a reason to use the button other than X-rays.

But if you agree that you want a character that is completely different (doesn't have to be this one I'm mentioning, just an example) then please post this to Boons twitter so they can see that's what we want. If not, thank you for your time.

Anyway, let me explain why I think Freddy will already be a disappointment. They made him a character that uses two claws instead of one; Not only does that not make him Freddy anymore, it's just lazy character design, in my humble opinion. Freddy could have been special, with only one claw and then HAVING to learn how to use Stance Switching to access certain moves, or increased damage in a certain stance. This would have made Freddy an interesting character for advanced players, as BOTH players would have to pay attention to his stance in order to block certain attacks. If that proves to be too complicated, it would be awesome just to have increased/decreased damage in a certain stance, due to not having the claw on one hand.

I dont agree with this, I dont like Freddy but I cant care less about the 2 claws... Also the stance thing is dumb, since it would be too difficult for both players and besides the stance changes automatically all the time, like when you jump or do certain specials so NO, it would be a huge and unnecessary disadvantage for Krueger players.

Touching on the Freddy comments, if you don't like him, don't use him. Simple as that. No one is forcing you to play as him so complaining about it is really a waste of time....just because YOU think he will be a disappointment doesn't mean he will be. Just because YOU don't like his design doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Leave Boon alone or he wont add characters anymore. Seriously. I am sure he gets enough headaches. If people constantly bother him and complain, he might not give us free stuff or cool DLCs in the future.

Touching on the Freddy comments, if you don't like him, don't use him. Simple as that. No one is forcing you to play as him so complaining about it is really a waste of time....just because YOU think he will be a disappointment doesn't mean he will be. Just because YOU don't like his design doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Leave Boon alone or he wont add characters anymore. Seriously. I am sure he gets enough headaches. If people constantly bother him and complain, he might not give us free stuff or cool DLCs in the future.

Demetrius is just giving his opinion, he is not saying "hey freddy is sh** you all suck for downloading him, boycott now", No, he's just saying what he thinks and what he would like to be changed, fixed, etc, and asking the rest what's their opinions. I dont see what's wrong with it.

Though, I do agree with this last part.

I agree. I hate it when people beg to Ed for certain DLC.

I thought alot about this freddy topic , and Honestly i have no interest in freddy, but all of us bought the game as is, dlc is just a bonus, if u like it buy the dlc, if not, dont buy it and sthu

Leave Boon alone?

He's a grown man. If the OP sends a letter to the man, that is entirely his perogative and no one elses! If Boon reads it and goes "Oh for FFS! That's it! That's ****ing it! No more Mk9! No more DLC! That's it! Christ! I'm giving it all up and giving Ono a ring to see if I can get a job!" then that would say more about Ed Boon than the OP.

If Boon is being badgered constantly over the whole "Freddy" thing, then it's obviously an issue that needs addressing. I very much doubt he has been badgered over any other character quite so much.

Leave Boon alone or he wont add characters anymore.

In that case, people should continue bothering him. If Freddy is a sign of what can possibly come, then we don't need anymore characters.

Kratos was one thing, but Freddy's inclusion kills a lot of this game for me. The franchise is just turning into a gimmick, at this point.

It's not that I don't like Freddy, it's more of.... two claws is just lazy, and that alot of people I know don't like the game because everyone uses the exact same motions to do different things. There is no variation, except with Johnny and Mileena who have the directions reversed.

I'm actually quite happy Freddy is in, I just think they are doing it a little lazy with the two claws instead of trying to stay "Truer" to his character of only having one.

...But that's just the problem with Mortal Kombat; every character plays the same.

Now, I know there are different strategies per character (Noob plays totally different than Johnny, for instance), but still, the basic motions you have to know are Down Forward, Down Back, Forward Back, and the occasional Down Up. There are only two exceptions to this, and that's Johnny Cage and Mileena, which reverses it to Back Down.

I personally think there is too few differences between the characters...

...I also bring this whole post up because, as several people have stated, their problem with this game is that most characters play too similar, and there is little to learn between characters.

But if you agree that you want a character that is completely different (doesn't have to be this one I'm mentioning, just an example) then please post this to Boons twitter so they can see that's what we want. If not, thank you for your time.

I dont think the "switch stance" button is unuseful, you can pretend to dance xD

Really? Many people say that the chars play too similar? Maybe if you look at button kombi for specials, but each style of the fighters is unique. And i sure dont think thats easy to master a char and then learn just a little to master any other. Maybe i am just that slow idk.

So it's : Johnny Cage=Sonya Blade=Scorpion=Cyrax=Liu Kang=Jax Briggs=Smoke=Sub-Zero=Kitana=Jade=Kung Lao=Kurtis Stryker=Kabal=Cyber Sub-Zero=Nightwolf=Raiden...?

I just figured out after many weeks of playing that it's more like : Kung Lao > Mileena > Scorpion...

I really dont think that they are all the same on the whole.

but really a true mk fan would love freddy because hes going to be the most sold dlc character. i know i don't have to spell this out but, im gunna. the more dlc they sell the more money they get for the next mk, the next dlc, or the next patch. nrs is running a business they need to make money. and i bet its WAY easyer o give him two gloves .

But the problem is, in my humble opinion, that there is little to no variation between moves. As I said, it's all DF, BF, DB, and possibly UD. I'm not saying that the Stance idea was a good one, just an idea as to how to make someone different. As I have said, the only people with moves that require anything OTHER than those Directions are Johnny and Mileena, which make it Back Down, and I'm sorry, but also Kano who has FDBF. Other than that, it's almost all the same.

I just think there needs to be one or two characters who are just different to play as so as to give everyone some character to use when they bore of everyone else.

Also the stance thing is dumb, since it would be too difficult for both players and besides the stance changes automatically all the time, like when you jump or do certain specials so NO, it would be a huge and unnecessary disadvantage for Krueger players.

Wasn't supposed to be for Krueger, sorry. I was just using Stance Switch because, quite frankly, it's a useless button, and this would give it a use. Mind you, it would be fully possible to base a character around this, as you could have Specials/combos swapping his stance, making him have easy access to certain combos. It's work-able, but it would definately take work. Not saying it HAS to be done, but that it COULD be done.

Wasn't supposed to be for Krueger, sorry. I was just using Stance Switch because, quite frankly, it's a useless button, and this would give it a use. Mind you, it would be fully possible to base a character around this, as you could have Specials/combos swapping his stance, making him have easy access to certain combos. It's work-able, but it would definately take work. Not saying it HAS to be done, but that it COULD be done.

I dont think is useless, I like to use it because I dont like to see the back of my characters, I switch stance to make them stand straight.

I dont think the "switch stance" button is unuseful, you can pretend to dance xD

Really? Many people say that the chars play too similar? Maybe if you look at button kombi for specials, but each style of the fighters is unique. And i sure dont think thats easy to master a char and then learn just a little to master any other. Maybe i am just that slow idk.

So it's : Johnny Cage=Sonya Blade=Scorpion=Cyrax=Liu Kang=Jax Briggs=Smoke=Sub-Zero=Kitana=Jade=Kung Lao=Kurtis Stryker=Kabal=Cyber Sub-Zero=Nightwolf=Raiden...?

I just figured out after many weeks of playing that it's more like : Kung Lao > Mileena > Scorpion...

I really dont think that they are all the same on the whole.

Yes, it's a complaint I'm hearing, and I think it's because of, as you said, all their specials are the same. While there is a difference of playstyle, you can pick up Kabal, learn how to do Nomad Dash (BF), and then immediately pick up Liu Kang and throw out all his fireballs and his Jump Kick (All of which use BF), making it just going through the motions to get a different result. Very few characters break this mold, those being Kano (How many Kano players do you see making use of his Ball attack and not just Upball?) Johnny Cage, and Mileena.

I dont think is useless, I like to use it because I dont like to see the back of my characters, I switch stance to make them stand straight.

But still, if the Stance Button wasn't there, there wouldn't be any gameplay effects that suffer from it's loss. I think Kung Lao was the only character that did, but that was a glitch and got patched out.

Should I maybe make a list of all that is truely different between each character? Maybe if I said what I found "different" it would help.

Maybe I'm crazy but its sorta the same with most if not all fighting games? And yes the stance button is useless.

Demetrisu, D, F, attack is a motion that has been in games since the days of the very first Street Fighter, way back in 1989. Just because Ryu, Sub Zero and Rose share a d,f, attack, does not mean in ANY WAY ARE THEY SIMILIAR. What the Hell kind of motions and inputs do you want? 360 motions for a simple fireball? Hitting backwards 5 times, forward twice, down once, then up and attack for a kick? WHy over complicate things?

You know when characters were similiar? Take MK I and MK II. All the characters had the same uppercut, sweep, roundhouse kick, low kick, high kick, and punches as the whole cast. If they didnt have different specials, they would virtually have all been clones. MK9 has MASSIVE variation this time round. With the exception of the uppercut and the sweep, everyone else virtually has different normals to each other. Adding Freddy doesn't bring any frigging variation beyond him being a guest. If Freddy turns out to be a shockingly bad character, then good! Because it sounds to me like WB didnt give Boon much of a choice, but at least Boon could make it so that Freddy sucked like Kratos. God, even the name "Freddy" sounds so camp compared to the other bad ass names in the game. "Freddy". "Jason". *shakes head*

EDIT: I quite like the stance button. Though it serves no competitive purpose, it makes the models seem more 3D and lifelike to me.

You know when characters were similiar? Take MK I and MK II. All the characters had the same uppercut, sweep, roundhouse kick, low kick, high kick, and punches as the whole cast. If they didnt have different specials, they would virtually have all been clones. MK9 has MASSIVE variation this time round. With the exception of the uppercut and the sweep, everyone else virtually has different normals to each other.

Also the uppercuts and sweeps are all different in this game, speed and motion, for example Kenshi doesnt even crouch in his sweep, Reptile does a weird jump kick in his sweep, Kratos uses his blades in his uppercut and Cage's uppercut is really fast.

Maybe I'm crazy but its sorta the same with most if not all fighting games? And yes the stance button is useless.

I would not know, I'm not a fighting game connoseure. I still think, though, that there should be that one outlier who just plays alot different than most others. It would help with the longevity of the game.

The one game I have played for any amount of time, other than MK, is Soul Caliber 4. Just as a sort of illustration, you have a Stance Dance character with Nunchucks, a bunch of Grapple characters, and even Yoshimitsu, who is the only self Healing character in the game and who also stabs himself through the chest to hurt both of the players. Heck, theres even Voldo who focuses on evasion and being one hundred percent unpredictable (He humps people for one of his attacks....)

I'm not saying that they need to make every character totally different, like what I hear Blazblue is, but they should definately have that one character who feels totally different than eveyrone else.

Freddy used one claw to kill children, hes entering friggin Mortal Kombat!!! Scorpion is no kid. I think he needed to upgrade his arsenal!

I would not know, I'm not a fighting game connoseure. I still think, though, that there should be that one outlier who just plays alot different than most others. It would help with the longevity of the game.

I really cant see how that would help in the longetivity of the game, and I think characters gameplay are perfect like they are there is no need for a character to play different, in the way you are saying it.