Dumbing-down games for short term gain$, at the expense of depth and longevity

DeBane

(~stars at ~13:40)

tl;dw --
NRS attempted to freshen-up, deepen and diversify the upcoming Mortal Kombat 11's gameplay, by introducing unique "Amplify" inputs for each of the characters. However, even the mere suggestion of said innovation and evolution of their franchise, elicited a cacophony of social media screeching from casuals -- "too complicated", "I can't remember more inputs", "my brain..." being common refrains -- resulting in the immediate abortion of said, seemingly interesting idea. Moreover, the idea was dumped without anyone even trying it (in order to properly adjudicate upon its validity), nor with seemingly any OPTION for, say, "klassic" (universal) and "advanced" (proposed) "Amplify" input schemes -- so as to cater to both player demographics.

The obvious, underlying message here being that the here-today, moved-on-to-Assassin's-Creed-#658223 casuals are the only voice that NRS are actually listening to (irrespective of what they claim), for how they design MK11. In effect, this instance of unceremonious back-pedalling renders the 'new' mechanic in question, little more than "Burn" or "EX" under a new moniker -- no different to every other NRS-developed game, MK9 onward.

Video related contains some competitive players ruminating upon the subject matter and its implication for the genre moving forward. :captain:

To be fair, even experienced fighting game fans hated this feature. Check Eventhubs and streamers like Maximillian for proof. It wasn't just the casuals.

The unique inputs were only tentative anyways. From what I heard, most the unique inputs for amplified specials were an extra direction. They really weren't much harder than the normal inputs, only added unnecessary memorization for what should be a basic tool.

The unique inputs were only tentative anyways. From what I heard, most the unique inputs for amplified specials were an extra direction. They really weren't much harder than the normal inputs, only added unnecessary memorization for what should be a basic tool.

I remember another earlier podcast where REO had Forever King (another well respected player who had hands on with the game ) say the samething about NRS adding extra unwanted memorization for the amplified inputs. This is a classic wait and see moment but I get where Brady is coming from.I say wait until the beta before anyone starts with the knee jerk reactions.

Another titbit I read was that the THROWS WILL NO LONGER CATCH COMBO'D (LAUNCHED) OPPONENTS. In other words, the nice enders (and Brutalities tied to throws -- e.g., Kung Lao's wing-chun punches) that could be availed in MKX, are gone.

This reïnforces the idea that the game's gameplay is being watered-down, and that NRS have, for whatever hair-brained reason, taken a leaf out or Capcom's (SFV) 'Mr. Men' book. If this new design mantra does end borne out in the end product, the only explanation I can proffer is that e-sports, via Warner, are tightening the screws on games / game genres they feel are too "prejudiced" towards weaker / less skilled players.

Does not bode well... :frown:

Here's his opinion on the game after the "stress test":

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It hasn't change much... perhaps even become more worrisome.