Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide, Next MK on the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
<b>Midway</b> announced today that the latest fighting game in the <b>Mortal Kombat</b> franchise, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, has surpassed <b>1.8 million</b> copies shipped. The milestone includes both <b>Microsoft Xbox 360</b> and <b>Sony PLAYSTATION 3</b> versions, <b>Kollectors Edition</b> and <b>standard</b>, across the entire world.
"Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was the result of countless hours of hard work by many people, and seeing the game surpass the million-seller plateau makes it worth all the effort," said Ed Boon, Mortal Kombat co-founder and creative director, Midway. "We're already hard at work on our next version of Mortal Kombat, and look forward to being able to reveal more details in the future."
It was also revealed that Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe was the most <b>"pre-ordered"</b> game ever in <b>Midway</b> history. In addtion, <b>Midway</b> also announced that over <b>3.6 million</b> online matches have been played on <b>Sony's PLAYSTATION Network</b>.

Congratulations to all of the people who worked so hard to make <b>Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe</b> a success and we highly anticipate the direction the next version of <b>Mortal Kombat</b> takes over the next several months.

Keep it tuned to <b>TRMK</b> for any new details to <b><a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_9/">the next Mortal Kombat game</a></b> as they are announced, along with the pending announcement of <b>Downloadable Content</b> (<b>DLC</b>) for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Last edited:
I sure hope the next MK excludes DC characters :(

I do too, but at the same time, I would like them to make a DC only fighter, especally with a 2v2 tag in mode.

But I am glad to hear the game is doing so well. Nearly 2million in 2 months is very VERY good.

But it does ensure we will see a MKvDC2.

What is your problem? Seriously!

Anyway, I'm glad this game was a success. But the question is -- Will this keep Midway from going out of business!?

I also am glad the game sold well. This means good news for Mortal Kombat in general. While this does not mean that we have seen the last of DC characters, I would prefer MK9 will be all new Mortal Kombat characters, with ofcourse the usual suspects. Soon we will find out the next MK is about, as Ed said. Patience is our friend :)

What is your problem? Seriously!

Anyway, I'm glad this game was a success. But the question is -- Will this keep Midway from going out of business!?

No, its still not enough. For now...

But seriously, a DC only game has nothing to do w/ MK. 30-40 DC characters in a game like that would be epic.

I hope they use unreal engine, but keep it 2D like SFIV is. Game can still look and play awesome as a 2d fighter. PS. No vs game please...keep it MK.

What I've noticed about you guys is that you seem to be acting like you don't want another crossover ever again! I want a "regular" Mortal Kombat game too, and I also want another crossover. But really, you guys act like if there was another crossover coming, it would be deemed more important than MK 9 by Midway. That's just stupid! Midway reads the forums (Belive it or not...) they've seen the massive rejection MK vs DCU has recieved by members of their own message boards! They've read the COUNTLESS MK9 threads! It's pretty damn obvious that they are going to push the next crossover to the side!
What I'm trying to say is that when I see "Let's hope we never see DC Characters again" (Or something like that...) or "No more crossovers, please!" It really pisses me off. Especially that last one! You never know if we end up crossing over with MARVEL, Spawn, Capcom, or even DC again, so NEVER EVER say that we shouldn't cross over again, because we might just miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the big faceoff we've always wanted to see!

Take me for an example. I love Spawn, but I love Mortal Kombat even more. Now just because I want an MK vs Spawn crossover doesn't mean I won't give MK vs MARVEL a shot ( Even though I don't really like the idea... Spider-man vs Scorpion!? REALLY!?) but at the same time if I were to choose MK vs Spawn or MK vs MARVEL or MK vs DCU 2 or MK vs SF over MK9, I'd go with the crossover. Only because The next chapter in the MK story can wait, but a big showdown against another Brand/game? That only comes once in a looooooong while! And I think it was Glamador who said that if we crossed over again, MK would become a big joke. WHAT!? Just ONE more crossover is going to turn the Mortal Kombat franchise into a big fat joke? Listen, we don't need to make another crossover before we make MK 9. But seriously, don't make it sound like if we do fight Spawn/Spider-man/Superman/Ryu before we find out what happens after MK Armageddon, then MK is going to go down the friggin' toilet! Knowing the MK team and Midway's marketing team, they will probably hold off crossing over until MK 11 or 12, (If it gets that far... I REALLY Don't want this turning into Final Fantasy!) so don't worry, you'll get your precious MK9! Just don't rule out crossing over again.

Last edited:
I don't see why anyone would say that crossing over with other franchises would turn anything into a joke. How many different franchises has Street Fighter XOed with? Other Capcom properties, SNK, Marvel, Namco and Tatsunoko, and that's still one of the most respected, if not THE most respected fighting IP there is. And yet, the gameplay hasn't evolved in any way since it's inception.
I actually think, as f*cked up as it would be, MK vs SF would sell like mental. the only reason the SF fans wouldn't go for it is because they don't want to see Ryu get beaten by someone like Jax.

Crossovers are a fun idea, and I'd love to see more. But it's clear that the next MK game is gearing up to be just an MK game. The darker edgier game that Midway said they started work on before DC came knocking.

And yet, the gameplay hasn't evolved in any way since it's inception.

There's no way around that other than to call you clueless :p That's like saying Tekken hasn't evolved since T2. SF's core engine evolved enough with each iteration (particularly the Zero and 3 series, and of course the VS series), at times when MK devolved in 1997. MK survived and outsold much more competent fighters last gen, and that's where it matters.

Having a VS series with SF isn't really up to fans, but it's much more complicated from a development point of view. Even SFIV isn't developed in-house, and financially, Midway is in hot water so splurging on experimental ideas at this point makes little sense. Such a collaboration would benefit MK's, putting it closer to the glory days of MKII and UMK3.

TBH apart from your recovery time being better I can't really see the difference between Tekken 2 and Tekken 5. Maybe I am clueless.

I'm starting to think that MKvsDCU was just an experiment to test out the new engine.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind another crossover. MKvsDCU made me change my perspective about MKvs___. But I also would want the next crossover to be about 2 games away.

I wouldn't mind seeing other VS titles in the future but I think MKvsDCU2 would be a no go. Why? B/c we already been there, done that. If they made a part 2, half of the game or more would be almost the same. Alot of the main DC characters would be back, as well as the MK classics. Just doesn't sound good to me. They should just release some DLC characters to add to the roster. And let it be, what it is. Dont kill this game by trying to make another one like it.

I think a MKvsMarvel would sell really well and also work well. I can picture it being balanced and alot of fun. Also Fatalitys for everyone would be nice. I really like Spawn alot but its hard to see it working together, though the game would be very dark and serious would be killer.

MKvsSF will probably never happen. Why? B/c whos engine would they use? Whos fighting system? Who would make it? I wouldn't want Capcom to make it, and have there fighting system, and Im sure capcom wouldn't want Midway to make it. So its never going to happen.

Now, I think the best VS crossover game would be MKvsKI. Killer Instinct is very simular to MK. They both share finishing moves, stage fatals, and simular gameplay. And I could see Liu Kang pulling off an ULTRA KOMBO! I really wish this would happen, but with KI not making any new games since N64 days, I feel Midway might not think it would be a huge seller, (yet I think it would sell really well). Also the owning rights to KI is now Microsoft so what would this be an xbox 360 exclusive...(I dont think it has to be), they could make it for all platforms if they wanted to. except maybe Wii b/c it cant handle the Unreal 3 Engine.

But as for the next MK installment...I think it needs to be the dark, gritty, all MK title we were promised a couples years back.

Well I want MK vs Spawn to happen for the story and gameplay. I've always wondered how the MK team would make Spawn fight. After reading your post and watching a YouTube video of Killer Instinct, it seems to me that you only want MK vs KI because they play similar.

As for MK vs MARVEL selling really well... I'd like a puff of whatever you're smoking.

I understand that MK vs Spawn wouldn't sell very well. But I don't understand why you think it wouldn't work together. Were you referring to sales or story?

MK crossover or not there will still be alot of ass kicking, like all other games in the series. It will be fun regardless. Midway seems to be doing better with thier financial situation so we may very well see the MK series getting into the 13+ games in the series as the Final Fantasy series did, and personally i hope it does. There are tons of factors in creating crossover games such as AI, Fight Engines, Environments, and Story. As far as who controls the deciding factors is the group that delivers the game. If its midway(i.e MK VS ???) chances are it will mostly resemble the midway styles. Now a Capcom(or others) released game(i.e. ??? VS MK) would show that companies styles in gameplay. Basically it comes down to the releasing company

and snow im with you on the dislike of ripping apart and/or slandering the other games. its just not cool and gets read by production teams, so it needs to be stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.