Sheeva Thread - "For the Shokan!"

i only like her in mk3-mkt b/c now all people do is abuse the stomp very annoy. i only played one person who uses her the right way

just letting sheeva players know (just found out) but apparently all of sheevas ex grabs have hyper armor now. or that is, they cannot be interrupted, though i assume they can still be teched

just letting sheeva players know (just found out) but apparently all of sheevas ex grabs have hyper armor now. or that is, they cannot be interrupted, though i assume they can still be teched

Lmao!

I thought Sheeva was powerful before!

This kinda changes my strategy with her though.
Maybe now instead of being an X-ray character, her bars should be used for EX grab wakeups.

I've decided to add Sheeva to my list of online mains, along with Jade and Nightwolf.

Firstly, her combos are so damaging. Her low grab, dash, 2,1,forward grab does about 35% damage. The only issue I have with Sheeva is if im getting rushed down, I crumble, surprising considering she's all about getting in close. Her Ex Walking grab is beastly, but I sometimes which it had a bit more range or she walked a bit further. Does she have any other good wake up beyond her walking grab?

Most of her moves are beast like, for example her EX fireball does something like 15%, I mean you catch someone with two of those and they've lost 30%!

I definitely find fights much more of a struggle with her but i've only been using her the last 3 days or so. A lot of people are unfamiliar with her and assume you'll just telestomp spam. I find if you can get into someones head, that's where you damage them hard. A couple of sweeps and then you go for a low grab, which sets up all manner of beastly combos.

Wow i didn't see this thread before! I had no idea there were other people actually coming up with strategies and such with sheeva. I have mained her since the game came out and feel i have gotten really good with her. I agree with a lot that people have said about her but i will throw in a bit of input on my strategy that has kept me on a very positive win to loss ratio online but more than anything it is exceedingly important to watch for things you can pick out in your opponent's behavior.

I would disagree in saying that her combos don't deal much damage. My favorite combo is a 3 hit 32 damage combo and can pull it off as a punish to a wiffed teleport or someone standing up who isn't wake up attacking. What is greater than that though is to learn combos that technically are not combos...simply unblockable and veeerrryy counter intuitive to get out of. An example is one i use very frequently. Its the B+2 (Which is y on xbox i think lol) then 1+2 and exfire ball out. As soon as you can start the teleport. Very few good players will use their only tool of escape from that which is either the roll or a wake up teleport or dash. If they try to block or jump away they will get hit which literally everyone i have fought has been hit by. Technically at this point it adds up to probably a bit over 42 and thats non scaling due to not actually being a combo. But it gets even better as i am not positive why most people don't wake up attack or even block because here...i think it's because they want to get away. At this point you say hell no and begin the 1,2,B+1 combo and dash in with another 1,2 and the dash grab. EX if you reallly want them to pay. This combo is around 30 i believe so really it adds up to around 70. Once again not technically a combo but almost always works in a row with each other.

Another thing i have recently started loving is to retaliate with an ex dash grab as others have pointed out. Such a good trick against non stop comboers. Also if you don't have a EX block low and pick out a time to hit a low back kick...thats all you need. Do the kick and the second it connects imput the unblockable stomp. Will catch people nearly every time as most people don't try jumping when they feel they have you in their non stop furious combo. Once again not technically a combo but works almost every time.

Another amazing trick with her is you can hold back or forward after teleporting and suddenly if you know which way they will go, your opponent will be hit by the teleport even if they are jumping away. Same thing with quan chi. A bit of a gamble but very effective against experienced players.

Some match ups are hard but you really just have to bring it down to basics and these unblockable combos work on all her bad match ups. Mileena's and kung lao's are difficult but you can use their impressive special move counters they try to bait you into to your advantage. For instance against kung lao he will commonly wait for you to teleport and respond with a spin. If you hold away from your opponent when you teleport you will land right in front of him instead of on top of him and have free reign to start a combo when he stops spinning just out of range from you. You can't rely on her teleport against bad matchups but you can still use it to your advantage to trick people. Anyway im going to put my gamer tag in my signature in case any of you would like to fight sometime. Not showing up so im just gonna post it

beatmasterfresh

Last edited:
Wow i didn't see this thread before! I had no idea there were other people actually coming up with strategies and such with sheeva. I have mained her since the game came out and feel i have gotten really good with her. I agree with a lot that people have said about her but i will throw in a bit of input on my strategy that has kept me on a very positive win to loss ratio online but more than anything it is exceedingly important to watch for things you can pick out in your opponent's behavior.

I would disagree in saying that her combos don't deal much damage. My favorite combo is a 3 hit 32 damage combo and can pull it off as a punish to a wiffed teleport or someone standing up who isn't wake up attacking. What is greater than that though is to learn combos that technically are not combos...simply unblockable and veeerrryy counter intuitive to get out of. An example is one i use very frequently. Its the B+2 (Which is y on xbox i think lol) then 1+2 and exfire ball out. As soon as you can start the teleport. Very few good players will use their only tool of escape from that which is either the roll or a wake up teleport or dash. If they try to block or jump away they will get hit which literally everyone i have fought has been hit by. Technically at this point it adds up to probably a bit over 42 and thats non scaling due to not actually being a combo. But it gets even better as i am not positive why most people don't wake up attack or even block because here...i think it's because they want to get away. At this point you say hell no and begin the 1,2,B+1 combo and dash in with another 1,2 and the dash grab. EX if you reallly want them to pay. This combo is around 30 i believe so really it adds up to around 70. Once again not technically a combo but almost always works in a row with each other.

Another thing i have recently started loving is to retaliate with an ex dash grab as others have pointed out. Such a good trick against non stop comboers. Also if you don't have a EX block low and pick out a time to hit a low back kick...thats all you need. Do the kick and the second it connects imput the unblockable stomp. Will catch people nearly every time as most people don't try jumping when they feel they have you in their non stop furious combo. Once again not technically a combo but works almost every time.

Another amazing trick with her is you can hold back or forward after teleporting and suddenly if you know which way they will go, your opponent will be hit by the teleport even if they are jumping away. Same thing with quan chi. A bit of a gamble but very effective against experienced players.

Some match ups are hard but you really just have to bring it down to basics and these unblockable combos work on all her bad match ups. Mileena's and kung lao's are difficult but you can use their impressive special move counters they try to bait you into to your advantage. For instance against kung lao he will commonly wait for you to teleport and respond with a spin. If you hold away from your opponent when you teleport you will land right in front of him instead of on top of him and have free reign to start a combo when he stops spinning just out of range from you. You can't rely on her teleport against bad matchups but you can still use it to your advantage to trick people. Anyway im going to put my gamer tag in my signature in case any of you would like to fight sometime. Not showing up so im just gonna post it

beatmasterfresh

Sometimes her Ex walking grab is tricky to get out in a pinch, especially if you are being rushed down, miss it and you're going to eat a combo. Her Ex fireball is a surprisingly good "wake up/get off me" move. It has armour and does about 15% damage on its own. Surely the most damaging projectile in the game in terms of damage?

Any tips on how to deal with Jax? I find this guy annoyingly hard to beat with Sheeva.

Sometimes her Ex walking grab is tricky to get out in a pinch, especially if you are being rushed down, miss it and you're going to eat a combo. Her Ex fireball is a surprisingly good "wake up/get off me" move. It has armour and does about 15% damage on its own. Surely the most damaging projectile in the game in terms of damage?

Any tips on how to deal with Jax? I find this guy annoyingly hard to beat with Sheeva.

You don't have a lot of options with Jax. But, if you want to jump stomp him, hold back while in the air. Jax players almost always attempt to dash punch out of it.

Agreed, yes i have seen many people counter pick jax to beat sheeva when i play. Or mileena which in the right hands can actually be very hard to beat. My strategy with jax is to force him into guessing games. Use a lot of ex-wake up attacks, predictive teleports (holding forward or back depending on which way he usually retreats), and honestly i found that keeping your distance and making him come to you helps a lot and if he isn't utilize your stomp and fireballs to make him more motivated to. Its kind of like a zoning game when i fight a jax because they do love their ground pounds. His ground pound is slower than yours so use that to your advantage. Overall i haven't had too much trouble with jax's. Just force them to play by your rules which greatly favor you lol

Absolutely love playing as her. She's not particulary good against fast rusher, but she doesn't take much to take down her opponent.
I LOVE her Forward+3, 1+2. Pure awesomeness. Does so much damage and they don't expect the second hit half the time.
Her anti air grab is awesome. Just wish it was a little faster. Their kicks and punches seem to always get me first.

I've been playing with Sheeva a bit and some thoughts about her.

She's definately not my type of character. I am simply not found in this kind of grabbing gameplay. What bothers me the most about Sheeva is that her specials are barely combo starter on their own. You CAN start a strong combo link with low grab, but to actually catch the opponent at the right time with a low grab requires a lot of experience in Sheeva's gameplay. I also don't find her anti-air grab that much effective and it's quite slow. Not to mention that once you miss the grabs and these two require the perfect timing and place to do it, you're just left open to be severely punished. Her normal grab special is devastating, HOWEVER, it's not unblockable and easily punished, NRS should consider to improve that move IMO the other specials are okay though. I like her fireball and her enhanced fireball is pretty fantastic against rush down characters. Her stomp SHOULD be a combo starter or at least it should keep a combo on, similiar to Jax ground punches, man, it does seem NRS wanted to make Sheeva the most unaccessible character possible LOL her teleport stomp though is fantastic, very effective, but I don't really get the enhanced version of it.

Also Sheeva doesn't have a lot of mix-up options in terms of combo-potential. As far as I can remember she only has one low and one overhead - correct me if I am wrong - and most of her combos are high and NONE of them requires the 4 button. I find that limitating for Sheeva. Her combo strings require you to touch several buttoms, which can be a no-no for many people, however, her damage potential compensates it for me. Funny enough, my favourite move from Sheeva in the game is her F4! Gosh, that kick has a mid-screen size LOOOL so annoying, love it and it pushes the opponent far away from you.

Overall, I still think NRS could improve Sheeva a lot, not she's bad now, I just feel she simply does not have the options against many gameplay types, but this is simply my opinion, she's quite fun to play as though. One extremely negative point is how AWFUL her design is, seriously, I hate it. Her alternate costume however is GOLD, why in the world isn't that her main costume in the game? I don't get it. Her role in the game was pointless, no Motaro rivarly, and her ending is not particulary memorable. Not of the best characters in the game (for me ONLY).

Last edited:
I wish her low grab and high grabs were faster. My low grab has whiffed before on a ducking character (perhaps it needs greater range), and if the other guy reacts quick enough as is crouching, he can stand up and avoid the grab. Her anti-air grab is only good if you guess a jumper, using it on reaction does not work.

However, she is SO powerful. Her F4 has great range and does about 11% damage on its own. That's ONE HIT. Also, jp, 2,1,2 XRay will get you 40% and up. Her 2,1,2 is very good lil link, you can combo XRay, walking grab, fireball and her ground stomp. She is so slow though and if im being rushed its very hard to get someone off. Fortunately her EX Walking grab has super armour.

However, Ex Low grab, into either a 2,1 or 1, 2 or 3,3 into Ex Walking Grab will get you around 44% damage. That's just 2 bars and more damage than the combo's XRay I just mentioned. Very, VERY devestating if you get the chance, and is a round decider.

Was romping her online today. I've noticed, people DETEST losing to Sheeva. I got so much hate mail today. :p

It's funny, I havent used Jade or NW for awhile now, just having tons of fun with Sindel and Sheeva. Had some really good matches with a good Sonya today. I got absolutely rocked by a Cyber Sub Zero, who unfortunately was a very bad winner, sent me hate mail even though he won, called me "mother****er" and all sorts. I mean christ...I don't spam with Sheeva, but for some reason, people hate playing against her.

Sheeva players, do you have any idea how much damage her B2, 1+2, Ex Walking grab does?
38%

And yes, you can get over 40% if you land the jp, but sometimes the walk whiffs.

Even if you just use her regular walk or Ex Fireball instead, it will do over 30% damage.

I've tried bouncing people in the corner with nuetral jump punches, into the B2, 1+2, which connects but you cant land the walk grab unfortunately.

Last edited:
After messing around with sheeva for a while she has promise. Tho I'm sure she needs buffed in the right way or shed be grossly op.

Her pokes (d+1,d+3,d+4,b+4) most of them need to be better. This way you can keep her low starters fairly slow (I think if her low starters were fast it could be quite unbalanced).

Her combos are very clunky. Too many don't combo into specials for no8 reason. Make her strings more special friendly? I'm unsure of the repercusions of this could be.

Make her air grab and low grab both faster and cause her to move forward similar to walking grab.

The unboockable nature of ground attack makes me rethink the cancellable. However if it was blockable it could be tweaked to. Allow u to combo into it. From as far as midscreen.

That's all id ask for honestly. Fast pokes. Fast grabs that move forward. And a more combo friendly moveset. Not saying a big combo...just more fluid.

I agree 100% with the post above.

I cannot simply comprehend how hard they made Sheeva, it's like they wanted to make her life more difficult. Chaining specials moves to your combos are a basic for MK9 but that seems to be impossible with Sheeva. She really is the only character in the game where I feel they simply didn't want her specials to connect combo-wise - already hard enough - combos but that's how Sheeva was in MK3. Sheeva has had buffs, but maybe she needs more. Her grabs should be faster and with a faster recovery. Her enhanced high grab should be unblockable IMO her anti-air and low grabs need to be faster on recovery too.

I actually don't think that a cancellable ground attack is a bad idea at all. I mean, look at Kabal. Sheeva needs some kind of advantage for her side. Someone should give that idea to NRS to buff her ground special...

I actually don't think that a cancellable ground attack is a bad idea at all. I mean, look at Kabal. Sheeva needs some kind of advantage for her side. Someone should give that idea to NRS to buff her ground special...

Nevermind Kabal, Jax does the same exact move with his arm and they made it so he can cancel it. Hopefully this means they'll make Sheeva's cancellable later on too. I agree fully with aedanwolfe too. Specifically with the pokes. I'll take anything to stop pressure.