Cyber Sub-Zero Thread - "You Are Not So Fearsome!"

CSub has some cyrax like bomb traps but I wonder how effective they are outside training room.

Close bomb, medium bomb, 4, slide: 27%

Close bomb, medium bomb, uppercut, slide: 35%

Close bomb, medium bomb, upper cut, dash, Xray: this one does FIFTY EIGHT PERCENT.

I just switched to cyber-sub as my main. One thing I found useful is to ice parry immediately after a teleport. People are always looking to attack some out of a teleport. Works about 70% of the time in my recent experience; of course you can't rely on through the whole match, unless you're opponent is just dumb.

I just switched to cyber-sub as my main. One thing I found useful is to ice parry immediately after a teleport. People are always looking to attack some out of a teleport. Works about 70% of the time in my recent experience; of course you can't rely on through the whole match, unless you're opponent is just dumb.

He's a really great character, I main him as well.
His mix-ups are great.
I like to do the teleport, freeze too.
The U4+Teleport is a godsend, though.

Thanks TaBB3rnackle92 the U4+Teleport is sweet.
Word to the wise, and I'm admittedly unwise, use slide as a wake maybe twice per match. Use the slide but don't abuse the slide. In conjunction to a combo is like nice enough, man.

The problem with using parry on wakeup is people start baiting it, like NW's shoulder, and will duck and low poke.

Like his slide, I try and use his parry other sporadically or in the middle of slow combo strings. For example, Quan Chi and Raiden have some slow strings. After the blocked 2nd hit, initiate iceparry and it will catch their 3rd hit.

U4 cancel into slide catches A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT! I like to use slide if im rushing down and the person happens to be blocking high.

If there is something you should abuse with CSZ, it's his dive kicks. Now, some of them can be blocked and punished by other characters. His long distance one is of course best used to punish a projectile. His near one can be used for pressure if you're good at hitting instant air moves, or for closing the distance. For instant, you do a short instant air dive kick, it doesn't hit reptile but you're now in front of him, where you can apply pressure yourself now like following up with 2, 1 or 1, 1, or U4 into teleport or slide.

gotta say man this is wat makes csz so incredibly hard to read... he is a confusion character... i suck wit him against expert comps (cuase tehey only react how they should) but i destroy online and my lan play group with him because he can simply make he opponent deathly afraid to attack him... it turns alot of non-projectile chracters into projectile characters ive noticed :p

i remeber losing the final 3rd match to a good kung loa online and he just started being good with hat throws and stopped trying to "hit" me and e ended up taking it :(

ICE PARRY is cyber subs secret weapon... get good with this and youll start dominating with some simple combos :) dive kicks plus ice parry is cyber subs bread and butter control spells if you will

He's a really great character, I main him as well.
His mix-ups are great.
I like to do the teleport, freeze too.
The U4+Teleport is a godsend, though.

hey man i just wanted to suggst couple things to improve your csz a bit :) i like wat you say about tele into freeze buuuuut id suggest against using it a lot and ONLY use that to counter slow recovery projectile moves like scorps spear or sektors missiles. otherwise it is waaaay too slow and youll get hit most likely before you toss the ice ball...

if you REALLY want to freeze after a tele id strongly suggest: teleport > 3 3 2 EXiceball ... yes its one bar but its amazingly tricky since the 3 3 2 breaks standing blocks and then youll get them into a freeze slightly abovethe ground which ill usually simply followup with: dash B3 2 , slide.

also note thatyou can go U4 into bombs which is amaaaaaazing and prtty much the only way for csz to set up successfull "bomb traps."
doing something like: jp.1 , 2 1 iceball , jp.1 , 2 1 2+1 , dash , U4 > med.bomb , forward jump , 1 1 2 slide

heres a link to the vid on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrKkgcequJU

i ended this one with an ex slide but found later reg slide does pretty much the same dmg and id prefer to save the bar :)

check outmy channel though at the bottom of the vids are some cyber sub zero combos i did not too long ago. ill be gettin heavily back into cyber sub so ill also be puttin up some new combos soon :)

The problem with Ice Parry, is that a lot of good players will kind of expect this now, and often do naked jumps to punish you when they hit the ground. This can kind of work to your advantage because you are more likely to AA jap or uppercut on reaction into slide. I like to use parry to interupt pressure strings and certain teleports. Once you start ice parrying Scorpion, Mileena, Ermac, Smoke teleports, they'll respect it and be far less likely to use this on you.

What makes CSZ quite unique is that you should use his specials sparingly. I like to abuse divekicks, however a character with a fast charge special can punish this.

It's his bombs you need to fully exploit. For instance, you can 21 into close bomb. Here you have one of two options. You can block and see if they commit, and punish after. Or you can continue pressure, dash, and do 21 1+2. If they remain blocking, the 1+2 will connect with bomb and they will be launched. While im not a big fan of X Ray combos, if you do this, you can jump kick then X Ray after the bomb and 1+2 for a 50% combo. If they block your 2,1 and now think you are going to throw a bomb and are waiting to interupt you, you can instead do his 1+2 which is his launcher. Even if they block this, this is safe on block.

F221 cancelled into close bomb is a nice pressure tool as the string staggers them on block and the bomb will appear between you and the opponent.

CSZ also has a nice "glue trap", something I discovered on the TYM site. If your opponent is full screen and you have X Ray, try this. Throw a far bomb, then jump and X Ray. They will either jump and the X Ray hits (36% damage), or they block, but your blocked X Ray pushes them onto the bomb. Here you can do a njp, U4, slide. This does 34% damage, but you get an extra 2% chip damage from the blocked X Ray, so whether they block or jump, you are guaranteed 36% damage. Now, this is not a 100% guarantee. A lot of characters have many specials to help them get out of this, especially those with a quick teleport or a full screen Ex special.

thanks flagg! that was a super well written an incredibly helpful lil write-up :) i like the F221 bomb idea and the glue trap is also sick i can see how that will EASILY throw a lot of players off!

and that 2 1 close bomb is also extremely usefu :D

thanks!

cyber sub zero, in my opinion is alot like kunb lao, both have teleport, both have a lot of low attacks and both are extremely fast hitters. If you have a block/spammer, you can use freeze, slide, bombs 1 2 and 3, teleport, dive kick, and counter. All of his moves are almost set to be able to stop noob players. I personally like to jump and dive kick when ever the other player jumps. ALSO has great combo possibilities due to ice ball. His xray is also one of the best because opponent cant block if there in mid air and you nail them in the air. cYBER SUB zero, is fast, but being a fast hitter, also makes his hits less damage. So if you know what you are doing, there is not one character in the game you cant beat with him. Only person that can beat cyber is noob, due to so many teleport, and saibot attacks (slides)

In the lab, came up with a meterless 43% midscreen.

JiP 2, 1, Ice Ball, JiP 2, 1, 1+2, dash forward U4, Slide.

40% if you don't get both hits of U4

Very true that CSZ's bomb traps aren't guaranteed, but they have a lot more options anyways. I think there are some very interesting things that can happen with them to keep things exciting.

Cyber Sub-Zero doesn't have the greatest combo potential. So without some difficulty, 30% is very common.