MK HD Kollection

Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

what if it was real actors that they made cartoonish, like spiderman shattered dimentions

that would suck

I always thought "HD" was solely indicative of the resolution, not the frame-rate. Even if it isn't, I'm almost certain they're gonna stick with the current/old frame-rate and I don't care because changing it would likely change the gameplay drastically.

I DO hope the style (costumes, stages, gore, etc.) is updated, but it can be done without making it cheesy like you're suggesting. I don't really think this would require a huge budget, either.

I guess we'll see in a month. :biggrin:

I find it interesting how someone can say it isn't what we hoped for without even playing it.

We haven't even SEEN it. I'm pretty certain that the only things that will be changed are visuals and audio. The controls will probably remain intact, so I don't think he has anything to worry about.

what if it was real actors that they made cartoonish, like spiderman shattered dimentions

that would suck
Yes... yes it would.

I always thought "HD" was solely indicative of the resolution, not the frame-rate. Even if it isn't, I'm almost certain they're gonna stick with the current/old frame-rate and I don't care because changing it would likely change the gameplay drastically.

You thought correctly, because there is no such thing as HD frame rate :p

The old games, and all fighting games (two excepted AFAIK) for that matter run at 60fps/Hz since controls are most responsive at that rendering rate. There is no real advantage of running a game higher than that, other than bragging right with some PC gamers who have high end rigs.

EDIT: So, it's about 7:30PM now in Chicago... A few more hours left.

Last edited:

The only thing close to HD framerate would be the 120/240Hz technology. But no need to run a game that fast as your eyes->hands don't work that fast. But you'll see 120fps games in maybe 3-5 years anyways.

I might be exposing myself for the geek that I am, but I'm considering setting a 2am alarm...

I'm excited about MK next year, but I'm mainly waiting for news on the HD Kollection and whether or not it's coming to 360

The only thing close to HD framerate would be the 120/240Hz technology. But no need to run a game that fast as your eyes->hands don't work that fast. But you'll see 120fps games in maybe 3-5 years anyways.

Maybe but considering that 30fps is still the most common this gen, I have my doubts. It's pretty comparable to the dawn of 3D gaming in the 90's oddly enough and fighters still lead the pack with 60fps gaming. There is always that perk of opting lower for prettier visuals. To note a recent example, Insomniac ditched 60fps altogether after the last R&C because they found that most users don't care.

In regards to those 120Hz/240Hz tech, I had one of each and they're just post processing effects to eliminate judder in 60Hz and 24p sources. They're pretty useless in the grand scheme of things since they introduce other motion artifacts, and add massive lag for gaming.

But TV's that accept stuff over 60Hz are on the rise because of the introduction of 3D tech.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how someone can say it isn't what we hoped for without even playing it.

There are movies out there that have had awful trailers and when you actually see the movie, it's utterly amazing. There are also movies out there that have awesome looking trailers but the movie sucks balls.

You can't really judge it just by seeing a few clips. Play the game, take in the features, and then judge it.

Title of the thread was just a cheap way to get some discussion going, as I haven't seen any in-depth topics on the particular things I've mentioned, and I enjoy reading everyone's opinions on it. I'm not really judging it, just voicing my doubts over it's existence.

I'm looking forward to this Kollection, but if it gets delayed after the release of MK 9, then I'll wait until it reaches the $10 to $15 price range.

It won't be delayed, the MK9 demo is the main selling point IMO

I may be out of my league on this, but I can't imagine the amount of animation frames not being increased. Actors captured in HD not performing with the fluidity their appearance suggests, it would make the gameplay look really stiff, no? It's the movement of the characters that increases realism, just take a look at MK9.

Last edited by a moderator:

I may be out of my league on this, but I can't imagine the amount of animation frames not being increased. Actors captured in HD not performing with the fluidity their appearance suggests would make the gameplay look really stiff, no? It's the movement of the characters that increases realism, just take a look at MK9.

Your eyes can't really detect anything over 60 frames per second, so no, it wouldn't make a difference as far as fluidity is concerned. You'd just end up with a bunch of undetectable frames. In fact, a lot of people play by frames, so adding extra frames would likely throw the gameplay off.

I'm pretty certain the new MK (not "MK9") is running at 60FPS, too.

Your eyes can't really detect anything over 60 frames per second, so no, it wouldn't make a difference as far as fluidity is concerned. You'd just end up with a bunch of undetectable frames. In fact, a lot of people play by frames, so adding extra frames would likely throw the gameplay off.

I'm pretty certain the new MK (not "MK9") is running at 60FPS, too.

I've either explained myself badly or people are misunderstanding me. Again, maybe out of my league, but I'm talking about the limited amount of *different* frames the characters have in the classic games. Compare them to their modern counterparts and the difference speaks for itself, there is a realistic subtlety that the originals do not have, and *only* replacing the original amount of animation would look awkward in a HD remake.

are you serious?

main selling point? NO. great bonus? YES.

lmao geesh

If the product is, like I believe, not a true remake, then yes. Only longtime fans would be interested in classic, untouched MK1-3. As another selling point for them, the option of online play. For the rest of the gaming world, I don't think they'd relish the idea of old games they never had an interest in. But they would be interested in a demo of a new fighting game.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've either explained myself badly or people are misunderstanding me. Again, maybe out of my league, but I'm talking about the limited amount of *different* frames the characters have in the classic games. Compare them to their modern counterparts and the difference speaks for itself, there is a realistic subtlety that the originals do not have, and *only* replacing the original amount of animation would look awkward in a HD remake.

Well, yeah. the newer games do have more frames of animation, but the gameplay is a lot slower. They're not gonna slow down the gameplay just to show a few frames.

Well, yeah. the newer games do have more frames of animation, but the gameplay is a lot slower. They're not gonna slow down the gameplay just to show a few frames.

So you'd call MK9 slow? That difference in speed is a small price to pay for the awkwardness I imagine otherwise. Just my opinion.

So you'd call MK9 slow? That difference in speed is a small price to pay for the awkwardness I imagine otherwise. Just my opinion.

Compared to MKII and UMK3, it's notably slower, animation-wise. MK looks to be faster than its 3D predecessors, but it's still not as fast as the old-school 2D games.

Compared to MKII and UMK3, it's notably slower, animation-wise. MK looks to be faster than its 3D predecessors, but it's still not as fast as the old-school 2D games.

That's true, but compared to the overall quality of the new MK, that one aspect doesn't hold a candle.

That's true, but compared to the overall quality of the new MK, that one aspect doesn't hold a candle.

I'll take the fast gameplay of the 2D games over fluid animation of the newer games ANY DAY. :biggrin:

I'll take the fast gameplay of the 2D games over fluid animation of the newer games ANY DAY. :biggrin:

So you have no appreciation of the graphics and all other modern updates? Well, that's your preference, but I for one can't understand why besides nostalgia.

I don't know, MKII isn't exactly fast, perhaps compared to MK1 and that's about it.

So you have no appreciation of the graphics and all other modern updates? Well, that's your preference, but I for one can't understand why besides nostalgia.

Never said that. I have plenty of appreciation for modern updates, but when modernizing a game kills the gameplay (which is the biggest "fun factor" for me), I'll take the old stuff. It's not nostalgia; it's that I prefer faster over pretty.

I don't know, MKII isn't exactly fast, perhaps compared to MK1 and that's about it.
Even MKII seems faster than MK(2011) in the animation dept. A lot of the animations in MK are remnants of MKvDCU, and it seems like more frames than in MKII. I haven't made a deliberate comparison, so I could be wrong. I don't really play MKII, so I have no interest in finding out.

Yeah, trust me, MKII just seems jerky, not fast compared to the new game. High level UMK3 is, and the PS1/PC versions of MK4.

The gameplay, plain and simple. Sure, there were tech limitations that made the games what they are to an extent, but some do prefer them to the newer stuff by a mile.

It's true of other franchises too, not just MK. Take Tekken for example. Infinite fields and the 3D movement was hindered by the tech back then, and the new games surpassed them (infinites are still optional). Some fans still prefer 1999's (2000 on PS2) Tekken TT. Hell, I prefer the arcade version, and it was essentially a PS1 game. The movement, hit boxes, juggle properties, no 'crush' system, just feel great.

So you guys both have a problem with MK9's speed? Personally I couldn't be happier about the game, it's struck the perfect balance between graphics and gameplay. From what I've seen anyway. I'm not questioning anyone's enthusiasm, but there are faster games out there, and realism has always been a core element of the MK series. It's why they used digitized actors in the first place, what made them stand out and a big part of why I and many others loved those games. Even when they moved to 3D, I assume it was to immerse the player more in the fight, make it more life-like. Even if it had questionable results. That goal for realism is still evident in MK9.