Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

I wouldn't count on it. They want people to play their mobile version, so they have to give exclusive content to make it worth it.

It makes sense but it sucks because the Skarlet we get for MK11 is mostly covered (other than the MK2 outfit).

I also would like to see Corrupted Shinnok, Geras, Cetrion, and Kronika all be in the mobile game as Diamond Characters.

I think they hit the critical point with MK to begin with. You can only last so long, by doing games every 2 years. Though I still will be surprised if Injustice 3 development won't be announced next year.
But as far as MK goes. They are done. MK11 was the rushing towards the finish line while clumsily falling on the ground. It was the drunk man race. The "trip, fall, get up, rinse and repeat" marathon.
So I won't be surprised if they won't take at least minimum 5 years of break time. Most likely Boon won't be around for the next MK.

I seriously doubt that they're done.
They still have 3 unannounced characters that were data mined a while a while back for MK11, along with 2 additional klassic stages and a klassic finisher.
Not to mention that they said that MK11 was the end of the story, NOT the end of MK, and Boon specifically mentioned big news for MK to be coming in 2020.
The most likely scenario is that they'll do another MK9 type of Trilogy / reboot again for MK12 because this fanbase is a bunch of crybabies who whimper and moan at any slight change / new path in the franchise.
That's the reason why I have no faith in some of the cool MKX / MK11 characters like Takeda, Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Erron Black, D'Vorah, Cetrion, Kollector or Geras ever coming back for MK12.
It'll be another MK1 thru UMK3, likely, to satiate everyone that cries about 1 or 2 klassic characters missing.
Boon will also likely still be around making MK games for as long as he is able to, or as long as the franchise is still around for.
MK is HIS baby since 1992 and he's not giving that up any time soon and NRS / WB is letting go of him any time soon.

I seriously doubt that they're done.
They still have 3 unannounced characters that were data mined a while a while back for MK11, along with 2 additional klassic stages and a klassic finisher.
Not to mention that they said that MK11 was the end of the story, NOT the end of MK, and Boon specifically mentioned big news for MK to be coming in 2020.
The most likely scenario is that they'll do another MK9 type of Trilogy / reboot again for MK12 because this fanbase is a bunch of crybabies who whimper and moan at any slight change / new path in the franchise.
That's the reason why I have no faith in some of the cool MKX / MK11 characters like Takeda, Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Erron Black, D'Vorah, Cetrion, Kollector or Geras ever coming back for MK12.
It'll be another MK1 thru UMK3, likely, to satiate everyone that cries about 1 or 2 klassic characters missing.
Boon will also likely still be around making MK games for as long as he is able to, or as long as the franchise is still around for.
MK is HIS baby since 1992 and he's not giving that up any time soon and NRS / WB is letting go of him any time soon.

"Big news" don't say much. For all we know it could be 3D Era games coming to PC or even mobile game related stuff. At best Shaolin Monks type of game coming up.

Also Boon already said that he wants to take a break from MK in one of the interviews. He wants some MMORPG type of game. Not to mention, it is time for Injustice 3. So yeah.
Also it doesn't matter what WB wants. You can't run a studio in constant "death march" development hell for more than a decade. Even if you keep changing contractors, the core members can only take so much. MK11 "story" quality shows it. Also Boon was doing MK games for almost 3 decades.

ALSO, this thing with ownership. Boon has already made it very clear. He isn't into martial arts, ancient, mystical atmosphere. He is into hollywood, super heroes and modern shit. Boon loves his comic books heroes. It was many times mentioned, even by Boon himself, that it was John Tobias who brought the the visuals of MK. He was the one who set the mood. Not to mention Boon has been making MK games for 3 decades. 28 freaking years. No wonder he wants to make something different.

DLC is DLC. KP2 will come out in 2020 and that will be it. Let's not kid ourselves with "years of support". WB of all companies doesn't know shit about long term support.

Saying "this isn't the end of MK!" is such a safe way of saying "we will probably do more stuff in the future. Probably"

Here is the reality. NRS has been running a non stop development hell for a decade (since MK9). Boon has shown bigger interest in super heroes. MK11 rushed, tripped and fell over, while running towards the end. That ending was made simply for the sake of not making people ask for sequels. "Here. Done. No more loose ends. They lived happily ever after.". Boon made it clear that he wants to move on in his interview. MK11 failed to surpass MKX (successful product surpasses the previous installment. If you make less than previous product, you failed). Mortal Kombat is in creative bankruptcy. You have idiots like Kittelsen now claiming that OG Lore was a head canon (for anyone that doesn't know what it means, like I did. Head canon means that the lore was all in your head.). Nobody gives a shit anymore. Not to mention, even if they were to do another reboot. They would have to write a brand new story. 2 years for that? Good luck, in not making a rushed garbage product. It is one thing to write a sequel, but it is another to write a brand new storyline. Can you do it? Sure. Can you do it good? Haha... combined with making that story into another "cinematic experience"? Good luck.

Huh? A brand new story?
The story from MK1 thru UMK3 is already written for them and they hit the reset button in MK11.
It's really not that hard for them to start from the reset button that they did in MK11.
All they have to do is figure out how the MK11 horseshit Sindel bio fits into MK3 (if they don't decide to change it up again, like Shao Kahn and Raiden being brothers in MKvsDC) and go from there.

It's the same shit that they did with MK9.
For the most part they went from the reset button of time travel via Armageddon and used the MK1 and MKII story for MK9 and changed things up a bit during the MK3 part of the MK9 story (chapter 12 and on).
Not that difficult to do when 2/3 of the story is already written for you and you can have all of the klassic stages, finishers, costumes and characters from that era in a game.
All they'd need to do is repackage that shit and sell it again, and boom, people will gobble that shit up like hotcakes because they can't get over the Trilogy era. How many games now have they had MKII / MK3 costumes, the Toasty, Spine Rip and klassic stages (coming later on to MK11) with people gobbling that up like hotcakes?

As much as I wouldn't like to see another MK9 type of reboot and would rather see more post-MK3 / 3D / PS2 era characters, at this point a reboot would be printing money for them, considering all of the people b!*ching and complaining about Mileena, Ketchup, Mustard and the other 4 male ninjas not being in MK11.

Last edited:
Huh? A brand new story?
The story from MK1 thru UMK3 is already written for them and they hit the reset button in MK11.
It's really not that hard for them to start from the reset button that they did in MK11.
All they have to do is figure out how the MK11 horseshit Sindel bio fits into MK3 (if they don't decide to change it up again, like Shao Kahn and Raiden being brothers in MKvsDC) and go from there.

It's the same shit that they did with MK9.
For the most part they went from the reset button of time travel via Armageddon and used the MK1 and MKII story for MK9 and changed things up a bit during the MK3 part of the MK9 story (chapter 12 and on).
Not that difficult to do when 2/3 of the story is already written for you and you can have all of the klassic stages, finishers, costumes and characters from that era in a game.
All they'd need to do is repackage that shit and sell it again, and boom, people will gobble that shit up like hotcakes because they can't get over the Trilogy era. How many games now have they had MKII / MK3 costumes, the Toasty, Spine Rip and klassic stages (coming later on to MK11) with people gobbling that up like hotcakes?

As much as I wouldn't like to see another MK9 type of reboot and would rather see more post-MK3 / 3D / PS2 era characters, at this point a reboot would be printing money for them, considering all of the people b!*ching and complaining about Mileena, Ketchup, Mustard and the other 4 male ninjas not being in MK11.

I worded it incorrectly, even so. Just because you're redoing the story, doesn't mean you get to approach it the same way as you did back in 1992 or 2011. Tech changes, the way story is being told changes and sure they can just do a MK1-3 remake and be done with it. Then yeah. They can do it quickly, but if they will attempt something similar to MK9, then no way they can do it properly in 2 years.

I don't see them making another MK in the next two years. Like I said before, the exhaustion can be seen clearly, just from looking at game design. Everything was thrown together. If you zoom out and look at MK11 content, you can see a clear "copy paste", when it comes to towers of time. Variations and augments too. Writing shit like "Coming soon". Come on, really? That's how a finished game looks nowadays?

And again. MK11 financial performance says a lot too. Yeah, sure it made money. But it is like with Rise of the Skywalker. Cool, it made money, but it still couldn't surpass its predecessor. MKX launch set such a huge bar and MK11 was supposed to be Endgame seller. Instead it is rolling behind MKX. Community is also fractured. Rumors about toxic NRS work space. Constant sales (ranging from 30% to whooping 60%). Selling those granny pant klassic costumes for a limited time in desperate attempt to gather more money.

MK11 is a definition of dragging your feet. I will be amazed if we will hear anything about MK sequel in the next 4 years (unless something big happens with MK itself, which is very unlikely). And I think the 2020 "Big MK news" will be about the MK movie.

The 2020 movie isn't really big news, though.
Everyone and their mother knows that they're making the movie and that it's in production, featuring a character named Cole Turner.
If you type in "MK movie 2021" in Google, the first 2 things that pop up are the Wikipedia and IMDB pages for it. That's not news, at all.
What's more likely considered "big news" to Boon (even though it's been partially data mined) is a KP2 announcement, along with the other stuff that will be in it.
Despite "leaks" / data mining, Boon and NRS consider this stuff for the game to be surprises.
When MK11 was coming out and people asked Daanish Syed on Twitter about leaked / data mined stuff (regarding the main roster) with the rumors of "secret characters," he put up a .gif of Obama shrugging his shoulders and said something to the effect of "When people ask about secret characters and then leak stuff."
This was specifically talking about them wanting to have Frost remain as a secret character, until the game dropped, but she was leaked ahead of time.
TO THEM it was supposed to be a surprise for the fanbase after playing Chapter 4.
I'll agree to disagree with you that there won't be an MK sequel in 4 years, as well. MK is NRS' bread and butter IP, first and foremost, and they repeat the same cycle every 2 years between the 2 IPs.

The 2020 movie isn't really big news, though.
Everyone and their mother knows that they're making the movie and that it's in production, featuring a character named Cole Turner.
If you type in "MK movie 2021" in Google, the first 2 things that pop up are the Wikipedia and IMDB pages for it. That's not news, at all.
What's more likely considered "big news" to Boon (even though it's been partially data mined) is a KP2 announcement, along with the other stuff that will be in it.
Despite "leaks" / data mining, Boon and NRS consider this stuff for the game to be surprises.
When MK11 was coming out and people asked Daanish Syed on Twitter about leaked / data mined stuff (regarding the main roster) with the rumors of "secret characters," he put up a .gif of Obama shrugging his shoulders and said something to the effect of "When people ask about secret characters and then leak stuff."
This was specifically talking about them wanting to have Frost remain as a secret character, until the game dropped, but she was leaked ahead of time.
TO THEM it was supposed to be a surprise for the fanbase after playing Chapter 4.
I'll agree to disagree with you that there won't be an MK sequel in 4 years, as well. MK is NRS' bread and butter IP, first and foremost, and they repeat the same cycle every 2 years between the 2 IPs.

I think they are fully aware that at this point there can be no surprises with KP2. We got the leaks already. So that really ain't the big news. But again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gotta stay in the act I guess, and they will just pretend leaks didn't happen. Yeah, but KP2 is already known to happen. What I don't think will happen, will be KP3. Or that years of support gimmick they swore on.

As for movie, I meant some in game content related to the movie.

P.S Thank f%ck Frost was leaked. Imagine buying the game and discovering that after the fact? I don't smash my equipment in rage as others, for I don't like wasting money, but that would have justified minimum a knee to the monitor.

Pretty sure when the game says "beat Chapter 4 to unlock Frost." right there on the select screen it's anything but a secret.

Last edited:
and they will just pretend leaks didn't happen. Yeah, but KP2 is already known to happen. What I don't think will happen, will be KP3.

On this I agree.
I DO think that KP2 will happen and that KP3 is not likely.
As it is, I think that we'll JUST be getting the 3 data mined characters and that KP2 won't be a full KP.
By the time that KP1 comes out MK11 will be at 31 total characters, and 3 more characters for KP2 would put it at 34 characters, which is on par with MK games, in general (MKX had a total of 33 characters, if you could Triborg as 1 character).

Or that years of support gimmick they swore on.

I don't think that they ever said that they would support the game for years, just that the support for MK11 would be "longer" than any previous NRS game, which is usually done with DLC by March of the following year.
With KP2 coming out (likely, imo) a few months after Spawn, that statement of "longer support" (while vague as shit) would still hold true, and we all know how NRS is with technicalities.
After MK9 they stopped calling it a season pass and started referring to the DLC a "packs" to try to avoid confusion of people getting pissed that ___________ isn't included with this KP. As it is, people were still pissed that the Halloween skins for MK11 were separate from the KP, despite them doing the same thing with MKX.

As for movie, I meant some in game content related to the movie.
Yeah, I could see a possible game / movie tie-in.

Pretty sure when the game says "beat Chapter 4 to unlock Frost." right there on the select screen it's anything but a secret.

Point is, it was supposed to be a surprise according to NRS once the game released, for people to find it within the game.
The leaks ruined the surprise that NRS intended for the fans. THAT is the whole point.

People who read the leaks were probably 1%. Most people don't use Plebbit or go around searching for leaks. There was no secret.

On this I agree.

I don't think that they ever said that they would support the game for years, just that the support for MK11 would be "longer" than any previous NRS game, which is usually done with DLC by March of the following year.
With KP2 coming out (likely, imo) a few months after Spawn, that statement of "longer support" (while vague as shit) would still hold true, and we all know how NRS is with technicalities.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think what they meant by "supporting the game longer". They'll probably just release the one character in KP2 every other month like they did in KP1. And after that they'll likely be moving on to their next game.

How about a rerelease of the entire back catalog on PS5, Xbox "Series X", and Nintendo Switch instead of a KP2?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How about a rerelease of the entire back catalog on PS5, Xbox "Series X", and Nintendo Switch instead of a KP2?

Not gonna happen. Anything before MKX, is oppressive, sexist and not politically correct. SJW's will be foaming. Imagine if they re-released games like Deception now. Nitara alone would make SJW's lose their shit and cry how women are being objectified. NRS wants to be more "mature and respectful". Ask Steve Beran, he will tell you how sexist and unrealistic those games are.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think what they meant by "supporting the game longer". They'll probably just release the one character in KP2 every other month like they did in KP1. And after that they'll likely be moving on to their next game.

I agree, but I don't think it'll be 1 character per month like with KP2.
My guess is that they'll do something like with the MKX KP2 / XL version: announce that KP2 will be at a lower price for those that currently have the game (like with MKX) and that a Komplete Edition will be available at the same time, with all characters coming out all at once, about 6 to 8 months after Spawn comes out.

Not gonna happen. Anything before MKX, is oppressive, sexist and not politically correct. SJW's will be foaming. Imagine if they re-released games like Deception now. Nitara alone would make SJW's lose their shit and cry how women are being objectified. NRS wants to be more "mature and respectful". Ask Steve Beran, he will tell you how sexist and unrealistic those games are.
Everything released before 2000 is the Source Material of Mortal Kombat.

And for the record, Nitara was NOT in Deception.

Everything released before 2000 is the Source Material of Mortal Kombat.

Really?
Because according to NRS MK3 has been retconned with MK11 Sindel, and MK3 Sindel is now considered to be head-canon according to them.
Sindel's Ward created to prevent Shao Kahn from invasion during MK3? All lies (according to NRS), perpetrated yet again by Quan F*%$ing Chi, as if that goddamn character needed even more lore shit added onto him. -___-

Really?
Because according to NRS MK3 has been retconned with MK11 Sindel, and MK3 Sindel is now considered to be head-canon according to them.
Sindel's Ward created to prevent Shao Kahn from invasion during MK3? All lies (according to NRS), perpetrated yet again by Quan F*%$ing Chi, as if that goddamn character needed even more lore shit added onto him. -___-

WB-era MK is non-canon because it contradicts the Source Material