Motaro

Sean Campbell

I find it very surprising that Motaro is in so many parts of the cinematics in story mode. I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning on having him as a boss. I mean if you saw any other past MK character in the story that wasn't playable, I would of thought maybe they just decided to have him in the story. However, since he is the only unplayable character from the past MK's in the story, i think it's pretty obvious they did have plans for him in it.

LOL It's IMPOSSIBLE for Motaro to be even considered as a boss in the future. If they wanted Motaro in the game as boss, they would have done it before. Plus, he barely shows up in the story mode and his death is silly to say the least. He didn't even have a line. Hence why they killed him, to take him out of the series permantely.

It's pretty obvious they won't work on him any further and merely included him in the story mode as an obligation due to his importance in MK3, because they had to do it. Unlike Rain, Motaro is an important character in MK3 as he is the sub-boss and the commander of Shao Khan's troops.

Sniff. We can't be sure what Boon wants to do. In this story mode yes, it's obvious. Also it's obvious, it would take much time and strive to create such a difficult model, don't forget, they use Mocap technology, and it's much harder than sprite drawing in the past. Of course they COULD create whatewer we imagine, but this time they decided it doesn't worth.
And it doesn't mean that we'll never see Motaro in future. Will he be DLC? 50/50. That's it.

they added motaro in story mode videos just to justify themself. oh motaro is and with 4 legs!!
i don't think it was an animation problem, they can animate him with or without mokap, or does carlos pesina buy 2 extra arms for animate sheeva, goro and kintaro?

I don't say it was impossible for them to animate him:) I meant they decided it doesn't worth additional troubles. And of course they look for us, they read our posts and know what we discuss. If here and on other forums will be too much "OMG!!! I WANT MOTARO I WANT MOTARO!!", most likely we'll see him as DLC or any other way as there will be 1000s of people who is ready to buy him, why not?

I think we'll see him in MK10 serving Quan Chi, but I doubt we'll see him for this one so he'll have more impact next game.

they added motaro in story mode videos just to justify themself. oh motaro is and with 4 legs!!
i don't think it was an animation problem, they can animate him with or without mokap, or does carlos pesina buy 2 extra arms for animate sheeva, goro and kintaro?

He appeared in videos but he was never walking or running, just standing thats because they have the problem that horse like mokaped animations are too difficult to do and doesnt worth it. He was 2-legged in MKA because of that issue.

He appeared in videos but he was never walking or running, just standing thats because they have the problem that horse like mokaped animations are too difficult to do and doesnt worth it. He was 2-legged in MKA because of that issue.
That makes sense. I always thought they did that because it'd be unrealistic if a big ass horse-man wasn't OP to the max.

Last edited:
Kratos fought tons of centaurs in GOW3. They should've gotten some pointers from the team on how to have a centaur on a 2D plane. Motaro was bipedal in MKA because it was 3D and awkward, but GOW3 did it just fine. I just don't see how they wouldn't be able to do it if they really wanted to.

I can see them having difficulty with working on Motaro in 3D, and I'd rather have no Motaro than Minotaro again. However if Capcom can make Amaterasu playable in Marvel vs Capcom 3 I don't see how Neatherrealm can't make Motaro accessible in Mortal Kombat. I hope to at least see him as DLC in the future.

Wait.. are people suggesting he will be a boss in the next game? Did they miss Raidens roflslamofdeath? And then they even showed him on a stretcher and someone was like "dood is ded"

I'm hoping this MK let's its characters stay dead. No more "loljk he alive" its time to grow a pair and just kill off dead weight when its time.

I think, it is not gonna be like Kenny from South Park. NRS team will try to develop a good history on the next games.

Why is it important for Motaro to suffer x-rays? In MK3, he was immune to specials.

I always thought that wasn't fair. I was glad when i saw goro, kintaro and Kahn were affected by any move. So in order to make them harder, they added the inmunity moments to them. I really hated when i saw kintaro walking by the frozen ground from SZ in MK 2!

I think they could easily get away with Motaro being immune to X-rays, but not having the random immunity shit to stuff like sweep attacks. For fatalities, they'd have to be reworked but it's not like it can't happen. Maybe every fatality done to Motaro could start out with the character ripping him in half before the actual fatality animation happens on him. That way you could still do him in the realms of the other characters.

But bosses are not supposed to be fair either way. It's funny to see people saying or suggesting Motaro would be impossible to include in the game (horses for what exactly? LOL). Probably, you never watched any centaur or horse in a 3D game I guess...