Jade's Metal Thread

Jade

I am going to add all metal genres but here are some to start. Just gonna throw it out there now that black metal rules \m/

LONG POST ALERT. I have Doom Metal ready on my notepad but don't want to double post because we don't encourage that here so I will add it with some other metal genres probably tomorrow =)

Gothic Metal

What is it?​

Gothic metal is a subgenre of heavy metal that mixes gothic metal's dark melancholy elements with the aggression of heavy metal music and consists of lyrics that are melodramatic and mournful. Gothic metal came to be in the early 90's, stemming from Europe. The music itself is rather dark, depressing and romantic. The vocals in the genre depend on the band. Some prefer growls, shrieks, screams, some prefer opera, and others prefer just plain clean vocals. A number of bands have growling/shrieking/screaming male vocals while their female vocalist keeps her singing clean. This genre has a bigger female demographic in terms of vocalists in general and, contrary to the genre name, not all band members look like a bunch of goths. Some look and dress like the average person, whereas, other bands do take on the full out goth look.

Some examples of gothic metal bands:

Theatre of Tragedy are credited as the band that introduced the 'beauty and the beast' pairing of clean female vocals with harsh male vocals. Gothic metal as since become mainstream in Europe.

One of the most famous gothic metal bands in the US is Italy's Lacuna Coil, fronted by Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro, though their sound has changed a bit over time.

The most popular countries that produce gothic metal bands are England, The Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Italy and Germany.

Death Metal

What is it?​

Death metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal that includes heavily distorted guitars, deep growling vocals, blast beat drumming, and complex song structures with multiple tempo changes. It's basically early black metal and thrash thrown together. The genre became popular in the late 80's/early 90's when a large quantity of death metal bands were signed to very popular labels.

Death metal came about in the 80's and was inspired by a number of thrash bands, including Slayer and Kreator.

Death metal lyrics are often about slasher film-stylized violence and sometimes touch on topics like Satanism, anti-religion, Occultism, mysticism, philosophy and social commentary. A lot of the bands don't actually participate in these things, though, they just use it as their lyrical content.

Some examples of death metal bands:

There are many subgenres of death metal:

Tech death metal/prog death metal is more complex and includes dynamic song structures, uncommon time signatures, atypical rhythms and unusual harmonies and melodies. Death metal elements are fused with elements of progressive rock, jazz or classical music. Some examples of tech/prog death metal bands:

Melodic death metal (also known as melodeath) consists of heavy metal music mixed with some death metal elements, such as growled vocals and blastbeats. Some examples of melodic death metal bands:

Death/Doom is basically doom metal's slow tempos and melancholic atmosphere with the elements of death metal. An example of death/doom:

Goregrind/Deathgrind includes the speed, brevity and intensity of grindcore with the complexity of death metal. Shrieking vocals are the main style. Some examples of goregrind/deathgrind bands (two with a thing for farm animals, lol):

Blackened death metal consists of black metal elements fused with death metal elements. Their lyrics often consist of evil themes, Satanism, and occultism. Some examples of blackened death metal bands:

Deathcore is the fusion of death metal and metalcore. Fast drumming, tremolo picking, down-tuned guitars, and partially growled vocals are combined with screamed vocals, melodic riffs and breakdowns. Some examples of deathcore bands are:

1229184205255_f.jpg

Chuck Schuldiner

Chuck Schuldiner is a very important name in death metal. He was the singer of the band Death, who are hailed as one of the pioneers of death metal. Chuck, who is considered 'The Father of Death Metal', was diagnosed with brain cancer in 1999, which he would battle until his death. In 2001, he got pneumonia and died on December 13th. He was 34 years old.

Black Metal

What is it?

Black metal is a subgenre of heavy metal. It consists of fast tempos, blast beat drumming (basically, very fast drumming), unconventional song structure, some shrieked vocals, and highly distorted guitars that are played with tremolo picking (double picking).

There were two waves of black metal bands. Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer and Celtic Frost were a part of the first wave. The 90's brought forth the second wave with bands like Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal and Emperor.

A lot of people get a certain image of black metal, largely due to old school black metal. Black metal originated in the '80s. The lyrics were satanic, anti-Christian and a large number of BMs band wore the signature black and white make up. The times have changed a bit for black metal so I will run down some myths and truths about black metal so people can get a better understanding of the genre.

The myth: Black metal is a bunch of people wearing corpsepaint, screaming/growling/screeching about Satan. All of their fans are gothic/weirdos and worship the devil.

The truth: This is just another stereotype by people who don't actually know anything about the genre.

Myth #1 - They all wear corpsepaint.

Yes, many black metal bands do wear corpsepaint. It is basically the general 'look' of a black metal band and a signature of the genre. Fact is, not every black metal band throws on ridiculous scary clown make-up.

Example #1 - Hate Forest

1.jpg

Example #2 - Burzum

stare.jpg

Example #3 - Emperor

194.jpg

Just three of the many BM bands that do not run to their local Halloween store and purchase black and white make-up. Pretty normal looking guys. No crazy look to them.

Myth #2 - Black metal is all growls/screams/screeches.

This may surprise you but, no, this is not what all black metal consists of. A wide selection of black metal is just music. Some are mostly music with very minimal vocals.

Example #1 - Drudkh

Example #2 - Astrofaes

Example #3 - Burzum

Myth #3 - They all sing about Satan.

Besides the corpsepaint, this is probably one of the biggest assumptions about black metal. Fact is, not all black metal bands pen songs about Satan/Satanic themes.

Example #1 - Drudkh

Their lyrics are about Slavic mythology, seasons and poetry.

Example #2 - Blood of Kingu

Their lyrics are about Sumerian/Ancient Egyptian and Indo-European mythology and history.

Example #3 - Astrofaes

Their lyrics are about Slavonic pride and folklore.

Though many bands focus on religious themes, not all of them are about Satan. Not every band worships the devil.

Myth #4 - All of their fans are gothic/weirdos who worship the devil.

I think I look pretty normal for a black metal fan. I am sure there are other people here who like black metal and look like normal human beings. I don't believe in Satan, either.

This is by no means meant to shove black metal down your throat and make you like it. This is just to educate you on black metal and separate fact from fiction. A lot of people don't give the genre a chance because of the very assumptions brought forth in this thread. It scares people away when there is plenty of BM music that is extremely enjoyable and does not fit the stereotype of the genre. Hopefully, this will open some eyes and people will take a few moments to listen to some of it and appreciate it now for it isn't what they thought it would be.

I understand that the harsher vocals aren't everyone's thing but bands like Burzum really do use more music than vocals so that would perhaps be a pretty good start for people who are interested in trying it out. You can even find a few gems on black metal albums that aren't even black metal songs. The song Smell of Rain by Drudkh was used to close out one of their albums.

Re: XxJadexX's Metal Thread

I think me, My Knee Growz, and Aldo are the only people on this site who like rap, old school rap, not today's booty music.
I listen to Metallica if thats any consolation :p

I'll be adding thrash metal so Metallica will get a mention =)

I listen to everything but country myself but metal is my favourite!

Old school rap, MC Lyte ftw.

If you want to make a rap thread, feel free! Just don't want this to turn into a rap discussion and it would be cool to have someone who really likes the genre share with everyone else who may not have explored it =)

Jade, if you don't mind, I'd like to offer you more bands to add to the list. Here's an essential:

Tech death metal/prog death metal

EDIT:

Melodic death metal

Deathcore

Black metal

Note: The above bands are not pure examples of their respective genres, but rather modern versions of them.

Last edited:

Sure, dude, you guys can feel free to share bands/songs you like!

Meshuggah, good choice!

I'll be adding thrash metal so Metallica will get a mention =)

I listen to everything but country myself but metal is my favourite!

Old school rap, MC Lyte ftw.

If you want to make a rap thread, feel free! Just don't want this to turn into a rap discussion and it would be cool to have someone who really likes the genre share with everyone else who may not have explored it =)

Brah, until now, I never knew that there were so many types of metal. A few years ago I only thought there was rock, no branches or types. I thought it was all the same. But I have learned the error of my ways, still don't listen to it (with the exception of Metallica) but I don't bash it like most people who listen to rap.

Sure, dude, you guys can feel free to share bands/songs you like!

Meshuggah, good choice!

Thanks! I've actually seen them live a couple of times, absolutely incredible.
Thanks for letting us post too.

I approve of this thread.

Tech death metal/prog death metal

Not to be one of those guys who argues about the classification of a band, but I really think Meshuggah is far too eclectic to be tagged as any variation of death metal. I really don't know what to call them, though.

One of the most famous gothic metal bands in the US is Italy's Lacuna Coil, fronted by Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro, though their sound has changed a bit over time.

A bit of an understatement, don't you think? They're pretty much just a shitty rock band now, which really pains me considering how much I used to love them. :(

Anyway, some of my favorites by genre:

Thrash: Sepultura (Beneath the Remains is my favorite thrash album ever)
Brutal/Tech Death: Cryptopsy (they were so damn awesome before Jon Levasseur left; Whisper Supremacy is brilliant)
Symphonic/Gothic Metal: Epica (they just rule; The Divine Conspiracy is brilliant)
Gothic/Doom Metal: Draconian (anything ultra-depressive owns my soul right now)

Lacuna has gone down hill, which is sad, because they used to be awesome :/

I classify Meshuggah as experimental myself but a lot of people have different views on what they are. They are hard to narrow down.

Very awesome thread and initial post, XxJadexX HORNS UP \m/ I don't know if you're familiar with Encyclopedia Metallum: The Metal Archives website, but I lurk their forum from time to time. That site is a bit elitist (as much as I hate the word) at times, but very many awesome, obscure bands can be found. Check it out if you haven't already.

What can be said other than that, I am a fellow metalhead as well! Been listening to a multitude of bands from around the world for years now and there are SO FREAKING MANY bands left to be heard, its like I haven't even scratched the surface. The world of metal is pretty damn epic, if you ask me. I am a supporter, and I don't intend to stop listening. :)

I definitely like all that has been put on here. Aside from gothic metal which I haven't been too fond of. I'm sure there are the unique bands from that genre that deserve a listen, but I just wouldn't know where to begin. This is a good start though! Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time on my hands to elaborate on every band, and genre of metal I listen to. But, I would be certainly glad to discuss metal as much as I can muster. So with that said, here is a list of bands I've been listening to the past couple of years. Just to give an idea and a foreshadowing for future discussion.

Devin Townsend (DTB - DTP - SYL)
Nevermore
Fear Factory
Destroyer 666
Misery Index
Augury
Neuraxis
Quo Vadis
Arsis
Ulcerate
Portal
Gorod
Immolation
Nile
Gorguts
Ensiferum
Wintersun
Oranssi Pazuzu
YOB
Esoteric
Evoken
Ahab
Agalloch
Meshuggah
Cynic
Tsjuder
Triptykon/ Celtic Frost
Melechesh
Hour of Penance
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Suffocation
Vehemence
Behemoth
Entombed
Grave
Bloodbath
Opeth
Edge of Sanity
Hypocrisy
Black Breath
Periphery
Animals As Leaders

Just to name a few.. Trust me, the list goes on and on and on. :)

Not to be one of those guys who argues about the classification of a band, but I really think Meshuggah is far too eclectic to be tagged as any variation of death metal. I really don't know what to call them, though.

Metal-archives.com classifies them as Technical Post-thrash. Which I can't say I know EXACTLY what that means LOL. But I know exactly what you mean. They're a tough band to just lump into one category. They've certainly bred their own style/ genre. Straws Pulled At Random is an excellent song BTW

Thrash: Sepultura (Beneath the Remains is my favorite thrash album ever)

Hell YES! \m/

Brutal/Tech Death: Cryptopsy (they were so damn awesome before Jon Levasseur left; Whisper Supremacy is brilliant)

I definitely agree. Jon Levasseur was the creative force, so many awesome riffs. Not to mention Flo is still an amazing drummer. Whisper Supremacy is a beast of an album (WHITE WORMS!), but None So Vile is a timeless classic and one of my all-time favorite death metal albums. Lord WORM was a disgustingly awesome vocalist around the Blasphemy Made Flesh and NSV-era, I always admired his approach. Cryptopsy did rule, once upon a time, but they are complete garbage now. Pretty much unlistenable deathcore trash. Note: TRASH. Not thrash. LMFAO

I am a member of pretty much every single metal forum but I am only active regularly on All Metal Forums (it's gone downhill this past year and the site is having some annoying refresh message problem at the moment, though).

I go to MA for band info when I am posting up threads, good site for that sort of thing!

Lots of good bands in your list, I would highly recommend Taake for black metal, if you haven't checked him out yet! Taake and Burzum are my fav black metal artists <3, amongst many others.

I think me, My Knee Growz, and Aldo are the only people on this site who like rap, old school rap, not today's booty music.
I listen to Metallica if thats any consolation :p

I kinda do. If you count barely listening to limp bizkit and the bloodhouse gang.But I definitely agree with not listening to the new rap. Nicki Minaj,Drake,Justin Beiber? UGH! I listen to rock more than anything. Like Linkin Park,Rise against,the Killers,Slipknot. The list goes on and on and on.

I am a member of pretty much every single metal forum but I am only active regularly on All Metal Forums (it's gone downhill this past year and the site is having some annoying refresh message problem at the moment, though).

I go to MA for band info when I am posting up threads, good site for that sort of thing!

Lots of good bands in your list, I would highly recommend Taake for black metal, if you haven't checked him out yet! Taake and Burzum are my fav black metal artists <3, amongst many others.

Sweet. I should try and post to more metal forums, but I tend to just stick with one forum and stay. :p Just like TRMK, there are other MK site forums I know of, but I just stick with this one. ;)

Black Metal is the only genre I haven't really delved too deep into yet and don't listen to that often. Granted, there are a couple bands I like here or there.

I think Burzum is completely awe-inspiring, especially the early BM material, Det Som Engang Var being a favorite album.

Dissection was an astounding band - Storm of The Light's Bane was such a pivotal album in that genre. Yet they're more on the Melodic BM side.

Rather than the raw 90's black metal, I look to bands/ artists who push the envelope a bit further. I'm glad you mentioned Drudkh, who I have recently been listening to nowadays after picking up "Autumn Aurora" and "Blood In Our Wells." They convey such a dense, mystical atmosphere that I find it completely to my liking. :) Any kind of BM band along those lines capture my interest. Pretty much if it has a good atmosphere, then I'm all for it. Its just I get overwhelmed by so many bands that its hard to listen to all in a given time. Though I completely admire the genre and how it has shaped the metal universe.

Oranssi Pazuzu is from Finland that play Psychedelic Black metal. Do check out the album "Muukalainen Puhuu." Very weird stuff, but amazing at the same time.

Wolves In The Throne Room is fantastic BM from USA. "Black Cascade" and "Two Hunters" are great albums. Very Burzum-worship, but they have quite a somber, yet elegant atmosphere to them as well.

I will look into Taake, I've heard of the name, just not heard them. Or Hoest, rather. Any album or song recs?

Looks I had time to discuss after all. Ha!

September Omsider is my absolute FAVOURITE Taake song:

As for albums, I love them all, but the best ones, imo, are Nattestid Ser Porten Vid, Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik, Hordalands Doedskvad and Taake.

FYI, I also have my black metal blog listed in my profile, if anyone wants some downloads. It is hard to find BM albums at the store in the damn country! You just have to click on 'home page' on the left (under the option to send me a private message).

Last edited:

Nice. I'll definitely look into these albums. Much appreciated! And I'll look into the blog as well.

Anyone here like Metalcore

Such as:

As I Lay Dying

Trivium

Killswitch Engage

Texas in July

Also, are there any Dream Theater fans here???
Saw them live in 2005 with Megadeth, in the Gigantour.

I love As I lay Dying, and Killswitch. Both bands are amazing live.

I'm a bit of a Dream Theater fan. If you like them, you'd definitely like Protest The Hero. They pretty much define "prog metal" to me, but they're listed as mathcore.