MKII VS UMK3 - Let's End this Debate!!!

Which game is better?

• Total voters
Actually no. Beating the AI is not as impressive as beating good human opponents. Is it more impressive to beat the MKII AI than the AI in more recent MK's? Sure. But it's nothing like beating a quality human opponent. I can beat the MKII AI too. That doesn't make me any good either.

I'm already aware of that. The problem is I can never find anyone to verse online in the classic games. I fare pretty good in MK9 though...

UMK3 was the first MK I'd ever played and it got me hooked into the series. I prefer it over MKII in that respect, but also because I generally prefer the faster, more hectic combo-based gameplay over MKII (Not that MKII doesn't have combos, they were just more focused on in UMK3.) I do understand why UMK3 divided some fans though.

- MK2 had better looking characters, more unique backgrounds, better secrets, better finishers.
- UMK3 feels unfinished and rushed - some characters don't have ending images or some -alities, ninjas have Animalities in different to all other characters style, some endings were probably written in 5 minutes (Ermac, Classic Sub-Zero), Kitana is still in Liu Kang's ending, Cyrax is in Desert stage, new stages cycle so many times before MK3 ones shows up it becomes annoying, Human Smoke's existance never explained, Animalities for ninjas are clearly misplaced (Scorpion shoul turn into scorpion, Classic Sub-Zero into penguin, Reptile into frog).
Plus half of playable roster are pallete swaps.
While MK3 have it cons, i honestly prefer it over "Ultimate" version.

So, i vote for MK2.

- MK2 had better looking characters, more unique backgrounds, better secrets, better finishers.
- UMK3 feels unfinished and rushed - some characters don't have ending images or some -alities, ninjas have Animalities in different to all other characters style, some endings were probably written in 5 minutes (Ermac, Classic Sub-Zero), Kitana is still in Liu Kang's ending, Cyrax is in Desert stage, new stages cycle so many times before MK3 ones shows up it becomes annoying, Human Smoke's existance never explained, Animalities for ninjas are clearly misplaced (Scorpion shoul turn into scorpion, Classic Sub-Zero into penguin, Reptile into frog).
Plus half of playable roster are pallete swaps.
While MK3 have it cons, i honestly prefer it over "Ultimate" version.

So, i vote for MK2.
The real purpose of UMK3's release was to address issues with Original MK3 regarding both the roster (namely, Scorpion, Kitana, and their respective palette-swaps) and gameplay balance (such as an OP Kabal and Sub-Zero's touching Ice Clone that literally froze through blocking).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

- Roster? Maybe, for some people more ninja clones = better roster. Thought i agree, with Scorpion, Kitana & Reptile being brought back. With others i don't, i much rather have Raiden, Cage & Baraka over all other clones.
- MK3 had two god tier characters - Kabal & Sub-Zero. UMK3 had Kabal, Human Smoke, Kung Lao & Ermac. Cyrax & Sektor were bottom tier in MK3, their chances didn't become any better in UMK3, Mileena & Sub-Zero also became bottom tier. So MK3 had 2 gods, 2 bottoms, UMK3 had 4 gods, 4 bottoms. Improvement? I think not.

Other aspect that fans critisized, but devs ignored was fatalities. Was this so hard to get rid of arms in the air or put couple of better finishers from MK2? No, but they didn't.

Scorpion in particular was the most glaring roster issue from Original MK3, due to his star power.

The circumstances behind Baraka's absence are a mystery to this day, especially since Richard DiVizio (who played Baraka in MKII) reprised his Kano role, and played the debuting Kabal in MK3. My best guess is memory constraints, especially since Classic SZ, Ermac, and Human Smoke had limited finishers, and palette-swapping is usually the most practical approach under those circumstances anyway.

Cage and Raiden, however, were absent under clearer circumstances; the Pesina brothers. Daniel (who was already in a pay dispute with Midway along with other MKI-MKII actors) wore his Johnny Cage costume in a print ad shilling for Bloodstorm, and Midway considered that the final straw. Pesina was fired, and his Cage was killed off, as evidenced by his name on one of the stones in the Graveyard. His brother Carlos showed up in Tattoo Assassins. Carlos was lucky to keep his job at Midway, but as punishment, he was suspended from participating in MK3, and his Raiden character was likewise suspended from the main roster.

Pesina brothers is stupid excuse really - Shang Tsung, Ninjas, Female Ninjas, Sonya, Liu Kang - all were played by new actors, Cage was as well in MKT.

do not comment about "eddie wong"---------) worst liu kang ever!

and not was a problem of memory constraints, was bad managed by boon that is different, they had loaded alot shit on ram and then is for hector sanches say that arcade game memories was lazzy. alot ppl know that were loaded useless resources like repeated sound files. Mkt reveal this too.

do not comment about "eddie wong"---------) worst liu kang ever!

and not was a problem of memory constraints, was bad managed by boon that is different, they had loaded alot shit on ram and then is for hector sanches say that arcade game memories was lazzy. alot ppl know that were loaded useless resources like repeated sound files. Mkt reveal this too.

Hector Sanchez was NOT involved in any MK game during the Arcade era, so I have no clue where you got HIM as a source of information regarding UMK3.

And you wonder why I always question your credibility...

Hector Sanchez was NOT involved in any MK game during the Arcade era, so I have no clue where you got HIM as a source of information regarding UMK3.

And you wonder why I always question your credibility...

there is a vid where him explained this in while i´ll bring to you the vid.

Well then, if you have the video, then why didn't you show it right when you posted that claim?

Last edited:
Ill have to go with UMK3 mostly based on nostalgia. I didnt have sny arcades around when I was a kid, but we DID have a SNES with MK3. Alrhough it frustrated me, I loved the characters, their sprites, the music, and the backgrounds.

i have never really gotten over the MK3 lazy cut me in half but my hands stay in the air thing. mk2 is better - had a better wow factor for me.

Well then, if you have the video, then why didn't you show it right when you posted that claim?

first: i saw this once time at you tube, and was a kind of interview with hector sanchez and him has make manye declarations. I remember interactive clips on vid.

two: i was searching and i did not founded, also sanches has made alot of interview since 2011.

but do not worry, i ´ll warn you when i found this, also i have ´nt all the time for search this.

first: i saw this once time at you tube, and was a kind of interview with hector sanchez and him has make manye declarations. I remember interactive clips on vid.

two: i was searching and i did not founded, also sanches has made alot of interview since 2011.

but do not worry, i ´ll warn you when i found this, also i have ´nt all the time for search this.
If you saw it on YouTube, then post it on this thread for all to see to back up your claims immediately. And if you can't show us your sources, then don't make those wild claims to begin with. And besides, it's 2014; it does not take long AT ALL to find your sources and post them here. The fact that you used "not having enough time" to find your sources as an excuse, even after one full day, makes your claims suspect. You know damn well that posting false and misleading information is an infraction.

And by the way, Hector Sanchez...who did not work on any MK game prior to MK vs DCU, left NRS in November of 2013.

Last edited:
If you saw it on YouTube, then post it on this thread for all to see to back up your claims immediately. And if you can't show us your sources, then don't make those wild claims to begin with. And besides, it's 2014; it does not take long AT ALL to find your sources and post them here. The fact that you used "not having enough time" to find your sources as an excuse, even after one full day, makes your claims suspect. You know damn well that posting false and misleading information is an infraction.

And by the way, Hector Sanchez...who did not work on any MK game prior to MK vs DCU, left NRS in November of 2013.

and you know very well that in youtube ppl upload and removed vids.......... so is not an excuse cause i saw this along time ago, i have not any responsablity, i saw this, rightnow i can´t search vid and i have not the entire day for search vid, sorry! or is a lie for you that i have real life?

and you know very well that in youtube ppl upload and removed vids.......... so is not an excuse cause i saw this along time ago, i have not any responsablity, i saw this, rightnow i can´t search vid and i have not the entire day for search vid, sorry! or is a lie for you that i have real life?
If you can't show your sources, then DO...NOT...MAKE...THOSE...CLAIMS! What part of that do you not understand? Your inability to show your sources is proof of guilt of posting false and misleading information! And before you tell people to "search for it themselves", I must remind you that you are fully responsible for the authenticity of the content you post.

Last edited: