Sonya Blade

I'd rather see military characters such as Sonya wear outfits that are 100% faithful to the real-life military uniform of their country. If they do it in movies, they should do so in video games too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Let me say, I am not a fan of this character. Never had really. I've never been a fan of her since the very first game. My reason was mainly, I had no idea who she was supposed to be. They said she's supposed to be some sort of military chick, but I never once saw that in any of her appearances. I always thought she was just some rebellious fighter or something.

I guess what I'm trying to say is actually MAKE her look like she's representing the military woman. I want to see a female character that actually HAS both costumes showing little flesh as possible. Is that hard to ask? Especially for a character like this. Her Deadly Alliance alt was by far the best costume she has ever had. When I actually did play as Sonya in that game, I'd choose her alt more than her primary because I had no freaking clue what that costume was supposed to be.

Second, her moves. I... don't really care for her moves that much. I would have expected her carrying some sort of gun rather than Jax (I thought that made no sense, really, in Deadly Alliance). I mean, make her more realistic. At least they finally made it where her energy rings came out of some sort of wrist gun or something, rather than having her just touch her wrist when there was nothing on them or just gloves. I thought that giving her this wrestling ability was kinda cool, I mean, I thought it was useful when I found a time to use it but... I don't know, nothing really stands out on her anymore, move-wise. At least to my appeal.

I don't know what I think of her story as far as what happened to her at the end of story mode. In my opinion, I really don't want her and Cage to pursuit a romantic relationship. I guess a friendly one will be okay. I just have a problem when it comes to love stories in fighting games. But, if this is to make her become the next "hero" rather than having it be Liu, I guess it's actually a nice change for once. But, I don't know. I really don't have anything to offer for her, story-wise, because I just don't like her.

Blah.

Sonya's primary uniform should look something like this!

size0.jpg

And this should be her alternate. Either a Class A uniform...

2_a_fm_ofc.gif

Or a Class B uniform (which omits the coat)

2_b_fm_ofc.gif

See where I'm going with this? Stock US Army uniforms!

Last edited:
It's alright to show some skin, just as long as it makes sense. Her MKDA Primary I thought was a very good fit, ignoring the thong of course. It's just the fact that she wears nothing on her torso but a vest in MK9. Ridiculous. Sexy, but ridiculous.

fatigue pants, combat boots, fatigue top tied around waist, tank top, dog tags, jiggly boobs. yeah that sonya would be cool

Don't like whole outfit to be military. Like it more with less reference.

Sonya is an American soldier. I expect her to be dressed exactly as such. It's the only way to dress her that shows complete respect to the real soldiers of our military. Go watch something like Stripes, Full Metal Jacket, or Saving Private Ryan...those military characters are wearing uniforms that are 100% faithful to the uniforms at the time of the film's setting. Why can't Sonya do the same?

Last edited:
Sonya is an American soldier. I expect her to be dressed exactly as such. It's the only way to dress her that shows complete respect to the real soldiers of our military. Go watch something like Stripes, Full Metal Jacket, or Saving Private Ryan...those military characters are wearing uniforms that are 100% faithful to the uniforms at the time of the film's setting. Why can't Sonya do the same?

Because NRS believe that her overall population will drop, if she became too realistic, outfit-wise...and that's me guessing.

Although I like the idea and picture that you have up in the previous posts, Tarkatan, although it might need to be tweaked a bit, like the combat jacket being somewhat short-sleeved or sleeves rolled up to her elbows and, mostly be opened up to reveal either her t-shirt or tank top. And definitely make her wear the dog tag as well.

BBBLP has it completely right. Her MKDA primary and secondary were the best, because they aimed to be sexy, but still have enough of a military vibe. The worst thing about her primary in MK9 is the high-heels so she looks like some sort of military-themed stripper. The jacket on her primary was real cool, and yes, the thong needs to go, lmao.

BBBLP has it completely right. Her MKDA primary and secondary were the best, because they aimed to be sexy, but still have enough of a military vibe. The worst thing about her primary in MK9 is the high-heels so she looks like some sort of military-themed stripper. The jacket on her primary was real cool, and yes, the thong needs to go, lmao.

I was in JROTC for 3 years in high school and have a military background in my family (not to mention the fact that I grew up in the nation's second largest military city). Not once have I ever known thongs and high heels to be considered acceptable attire in the military. To dress Sonya like that in the same breath as depicting her as an American soldier is a sign of severe disrespect towards the men and women putting our lives on the line for the likes of Mr. Edward Boon! The fact that this character was once portrayed by a former Playboy Playmate is of questionable taste as well.

Last edited:
not a bad point, but it is just a video game. i wouldn't mind her in a more military themed outfit as long as she still looked cool enough to play as, lets keep in mind that it IS mortal kombat...not the most realistic game, i mean their portayal of "ninjas" and martial arts in general isn't exactly historically accurate or respectful to the real life origins.

I would prefer something like THIS for Sonya, uniform-wise (no gun).

military.jpg

She's wearing camo pants, a green shirt, and likely military boots.
Having the WHOLE military uniform may not be practical for fighting (as shown in the image above), but this look is badass and it beats being in high-heels and looking like a stripper.

not a bad point, but it is just a video game. i wouldn't mind her in a more military themed outfit as long as she still looked cool enough to play as, lets keep in mind that it IS mortal kombat...not the most realistic game, i mean their portayal of "ninjas" and martial arts in general isn't exactly historically accurate or respectful to the real life origins.

I don't give a shit if it's a video game and I don't give a shit if it's Mortal Kombat either! I expect our National Heroes to be treated with complete and unconditional respect, and dressing a character portrayed as an American soldier in a manner contrary to how an American soldier should dress is tantamount to spitting on the face of General Patton, and I don't think General Patton would appreciate that.

Exactly. Now if this was a game about the various wars we have went through as a country and she was suppose to be a soldier representing those times, then yes I would say everything she's wore over the course of the series is just a big no. However bc this isnt that type of game, I don't think it's all that disrespectful to mix some military elements with some fantasy elements. Just about every character in this series has. To be honest you cant really want some things to be realistic in the series while others are made up. Either everything should be completely realistic or everything shouldn't be and if we were to go with the former, MK wouldn't even exist. This is why I don't mind seeing Sonya in not the most realistic military gear (even though I can see and totally understand why Tarkatan Trash is upset). However I must say her MK9 outfit was just disrespectful to all, esp military workers and women and her MK1/MK3 outfits never showed that she was a military worker. Thats why I wanted to see things that brings military elements to her costume while keeping the signature Sonya elements.

To be honest, even with the pics I posted (although IMO that camo jumpsuit with combat boots would make a great alternate and im not going to have anyone tell me otherwise) I would love for them to bring back her DA alt with non high heeled boots as a primary or something close to it. It's just that a part of me knows they won't bc they are going to do what they want to do bc it's their game afterall. Tbh I think everyone here knows that too.

I would prefer something like THIS for Sonya, uniform-wise (no gun).

View attachment 6190

She's wearing camo pants, a green shirt, and likely military boots.
Having the WHOLE military uniform may not be practical for fighting (as shown in the image above), but this look is badass and it beats being in high-heels and looking like a stripper.

Jesus Christ my eyes!
Sonya needs to be sexy. And she either needs to show skin, or have tight clothing. With both her MKDA costumes did.

That shit you just posted should be illegal.

Jesus Christ my eyes!
Sonya needs to be sexy. And she either needs to show skin, or have tight clothing. With both her MKDA costumes did.

That shit you just posted should be illegal.

No.
With someone like Mileena it's understandable since that is her slutty character stereotype, but Sonya is a soldier, and her appearance should reflect that with the proper uniform.
She doesn't need to show skin or have tight clothing.
That type of shitty mentality of "the females need to be sexed up" are why MK9 women look like a bunch of sluts, in the first place.

Last edited:
It's a fighting game numbnuts. This isn't Saving Private Ryan 2.
Of course Sonya is going to be sexed up, it's just the matter of doing it in a way that makes sense.

Loose clothing isn't going to cut it in MK.

It's a fighting game numbnuts. This isn't Saving Private Ryan 2.
Of course Sonya is going to be sexed up, it's just the matter of doing it in a way that makes sense.

Loose clothing isn't going to cut it in MK.

She is either going to be dressed like a proper soldier, or Ed Boon is going to be court martialed and spend the rest of his natural life in a prison in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas!