Injustice 2, Microtransactions inevitable?

Only 4 days? Man, you guys are indeed spoiled if you think that's alot. XD

Seriously.
4 days is nothing to go from faction to faction and get the Dragon King set.
It sure beats paying to have everything unlocked, imo.
On top of that, you can wager in the Krypt and get more coins that way as well.

Again, though, it's just cosmetic stuff.
If it was having to go through a Krypt-like system for upgrades that affect actual gameplay in Injustice 2, then I get that and I agree that that's a no-no.

Last edited:
Only 4 days? Man, you guys are indeed spoiled if you think that's alot. XD

I play RPGs too. I know what it's like to grind, to farm, to reroll gear, chain dungeons and go on end game raids.. In most cases though, it isn't blatant monotony. It isn't me pressing a single button, then hitting restart match for hours on end.

I play RPGs too. I know what it's like to grind, to farm, to reroll gear, chain dungeons and go on end game raids.. In most cases though, it isn't blatant monotony. It isn't me pressing a single button, then hitting restart match for hours on end.

If you play fighting games just pressing one button, you're playing it wrong.

That's how you grind for the Dragon King Set. You get the Brutality modifier in Kustom Kombat and spam Erron Black's grab brutal

No, that's one way to get it. Might be effective, but as you said, boring too. You could choose to do it in another way and have some fun playing the game instead. Yeah, it would have taken longer to get the set then, but at least you wouldn't bore yourself to death trying to get it.

I didn't say it was the only way, I said that's how you grind for it, which is what Com did, which is why I mentioned it.

"it might take longer" is exactly my point. Why would it take longer? Because NRS lowered the amount of money you gained from normally playing the game. Why did they do that? Because they wanted players to impulse buy their content. Why am I saying this? Because my point is that regardless if they are cosmetic or not, these microtransactions affect us all in a negative way. Commander could have earned his Krypt through a fun and normal way, but instead did something that he himself admited was boring. Because of the greed Microtransactions breed.

No, that's one way to get it. Might be effective, but as you said, boring too. You could choose to do it in another way and have some fun playing the game instead. Yeah, it would have taken longer to get the set then, but at least you wouldn't bore yourself to death trying to get it.

Precisely.
That's just my way of getting the set, but it isn't the only way.
I never said or implied that that way of doing it was the only way of doing it, just a quicker way to get the set.
I did the "grind" for the Dragon King set method described above within 4 days of having MKX, and have since enjoyed reaping all the rewards with the Dragon King set and unlocked all the stuff.

Commander could have earned his Krypt through a fun and normal way, but instead did something that he himself admited was boring. Because of the greed Microtransactions breed.

I would have done it this way regardless, if it was an exploit to get easy koins because why not?
If the dev puts it in there and haven't patched it, then it's a workaround to not having to pay $20 or $30 extra.

Last edited:
Putting an RPG "loot drop gear system" is already very risky to add to a fighting game, especially if it's unbalanced in any way. I don't see NRS having gear available for purchase that actually powers up the characters. This topic is controversial already. Why would they take further risks by making it pay to win? There may be some unique cosmetic pieces for those of us who are a little more loose with their money, but who knows? I could be completely wrong. Time will tell.

I didn't say it was the only way, I said that's how you grind for it, which is what Com did, which is why I mentioned it.

"it might take longer" is exactly my point. Why would it take longer? Because NRS lowered the amount of money you gained from normally playing the game. Why did they do that? Because they wanted players to impulse buy their content. Why am I saying this? Because my point is that regardless if they are cosmetic or not, these microtransactions affect us all in a negative way. Commander could have earned his Krypt through a fun and normal way, but instead did something that he himself admited was boring. Because of the greed Microtransactions breed.

Why is it bad that it will take longer? Why is it bad that you can't get everything you want here and now? What's wrong with working for something you want? And what's wrong with having fun while getting there?

I'm not affected in a negative way by this. I will play the game and have fun doing so, and eventually I get the stuff I want. There's no rush, I'm not gonna try and have it before everyone else or be on the top as fast as possible. I'm just playing to have fun.

They also said they would try to accomodate everyone, so there is the possibility of modes without gear stats. If that was the only way to play the game it would be a big deal. The mocrotransactions dont bother me, i enjoy earning things myself and i never really farm. Didnt change my experience, i still whoop ass. If youre a better player it shouldnt matter what type of gear they have or how they got it

How can you be so dense? It isn't THAT it would take longer, it's WHY it would take longer. The reasoning is malicious and shouldn't be forgiven just because it's a developer we like.

How can you be so dense? It isn't THAT it would take longer, it's WHY it would take longer. The reasoning is malicious and shouldn't be forgiven just because it's a developer we like.

Chill.
I already said I agree with you that the reason to do it is indeed bad.

It IS a shady business practise though, I agree on that. Making it hard on people to get the stuff, in hopes they will give up and spend real money instead.

What I'm saying is that even though they've done this, you can still just relax and have fun with it anyways, and not be in such a rush to get the stuff. Just by playing the game you will eventually get what you want from it.

So yeah, though the reasoning behind this decision is indeed bad, doesn't mean it has to affect you negatively. It will only be so if you let it, and you let it by being a gratuitous spoiled brat who wants the gear as fast as possible. (and I don't mean you specifically, but in general)

Added:
The reason WB are doing this with microtransactions is because it WORKS! Because people are being gratuitous spoiled brats who want all the stuff here and now! And because they don't want to go through the trouble of working for it, they would rather spend money on it.

The only way to tell them to stop is to make it stop working, and you can only do that by not giving into it by not giving them money for it.

Last edited:
Here.
This ought to clear things up a bit, regarding the gear system.....

"It's clear, then, that the big thing that's supposed to set Injustice 2 apart, is the gear system. After literally every match I played, I got a couple of loot drops, complete with stats for defense, attack and more. Some even had special modifiers, like allowing me to deal more damage when low on life. Let's be clear: NetherRealm founder Ed Boon himself has said that geared-out, leveled-up characters could be excluded in favor of vanilla versions in versus modes, and even that there would be some sort of matchmaking options that would separate players who wanted geared and non-geared characters, so there's no world in which serious competitive players will be forced to engage with this system if they don't want to. We can breathe a sigh of relief there."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/17/e3-2016-injustice-2-looks-different-feels-the-same

None of NRS's games have been FGC tournie mainstays, largely because they simply lack the core game engine to support high level play beyond the honeymoon period almost all fight-games enjoy community attention for by default.

As such, if they did start piecemeal-divvying elements of the game that directly affect gameplay / character performance / tiers, it would kill the game dead in utero as a competitive fighting game -- rendering it more in the realms of the anime fighters, like DBZ and Naruto.

The sad part is, as the OP suggests, it's likely inevitable; with WB at the helm. Just look at how the Battlefront game was (and now even Battlefield is) being treated with respect to their release day content -- four(4) maps! To say nothing of the glorified demo that's SFV...

It's inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

"Injustice 2 will feature plenty of additional characters following the game's launch, as NetherRealm creative director Ed Boon has confirmed the studio is taking a "more aggressive" approach when it comes to DLC.

"One of the things we’ve been doing, trying to do more and more with every game… is to support it for a longer period of time," Boon told IGN. "With DLC characters, we’ve had four with Mortal Kombat, six with Injustice, eight with Mortal Kombat X, and with Injustice 2 we plan on continuing that pattern," he added, noting "it will certainly be more aggressive than we’ve been in the past."

Boon also spoke to the game's new gear system—which allows the player to customize their character—suggesting the team is considering a pay-to-unlock model for those who don't have the time to earn all of the rewards by just playing the game.

"We have ideas in our head of the things we’d like to consider but certainly haven’t like nailed down this is going to be the way to do it," he explained. "Ideally to me the whole purpose of this feature is customization, longevity and ongoing molding of your character so to speak."

Taking into account the fact that some players likely "won't want to invest months and months of their time" in order to gain the rewards, Boon said they're looking for a way to "cast the biggest net possible to get as many players into it as possible."

- http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...e-aggressive-approach-to-dlc-with-injustice-2

So yeah, DLC will definitely be a thing, and people will most likely be able to spend real money on getting all the gear if they don't have the time to unlock them by playing the game.

Just to make sure people understand this... THIS IS NOT A PAY-TO-WIN MODEL!
That would mean that you could only get some really powerful gear by buying it with real money! And this is NOT the case, from what this article explains. However, I bet ignorant individuals would still claim that's the case though, because they just don't know the difference.

If people wanna spend money on it instead of playing the game, then that's their prerogative.
I do like the idea of having alot more characters available through DLC though. It means we'll get some characters in the roster that aren't necessarily story-related, so those characters that didn't make it to the main roster, due to having died or such, have a chance to become DLC!

What I don't hope this means is that there will be alot of guest characters...

Another thing to note is that just because someone has all of the gear for every character, they doesn't mean they can implement all of the gear at once. It's impossible to have a god tier character over others as each gear only gives either cosmetic or slight stat boosts. This was already implemented in MKX with Noxious Reptile, Venomous D'Vorah, Pumped Up Jax, Relentless Jason (Extra damage based on health), Unstoppable Jason (Must be killed twice), and you can probably say that the stat boosting powers of Quan Chi and Kotal Kahn are pretty similar to what the gears will be like.

Yeah, this is like instead of playing the game to unlock all characters, they can spend money to have them all unlocked from the start. It just means they will have more options earlier than those who don't buy it, but they won't get something that can't be achieved simply by playing the game.

Pay to win has been deconfirmed. I'm happy. But it doesn't change my views on this.
They're still going to stifle our chances of good drops not because of creative decision, but because of greed.

Broken record, I know