The King of Fighters XIV

It'll tank as a casual game, it'll tank as a spectator's game and will in turn tank as a competitive game. A game can be as technical as it wants, but the sad truth nowadays is if the stream wont watch it, the tournaments wont host it.

You worry too much, you negative nancy. Or maybe you want it to fail for whatever reason.
People will play it if they want to play it. And if it plays well, it'll succeed. You lean too much on graphics. SFV isn't really the most beautiful game out there either. Almost look like claymation, very stiff models - just look at how Laura's arm keep glitching through her plastic-like hair. Graphics-wise, that's unacceptable in this day and age. Yet people are super excited for that game and people, including yourself, really like Laura's inclusion into the game.

KoF does indeed look low-poly. And like I said, hopefully the graphics will become better. There needs to be a balance between gameplay and graphics for a game to become successful today. But as proven in the example I made above with SFV, people can be forgiving about how a game looks if it just plays well.

Another example is Dead or Alive 5. It looks beautiful, but the gameplay is subpar, which is one of the main reasons it isn't all that successful. Gameplay is indeed the most important thing in a fighting game. A pretty coat of paint won't win over the hardcore base.

The hiccups in animation that are usually overlooked in 2D sprites are jarring when translated to 3D models. SF4, has more more in-between frames for smoother animation. Guilty Gear Xrd made effective use of cel shading to give the illusion of a sprite-based game.

SFV is not the best demonstration of graphics, but it's still far ahead of what we seen with KoFXIV.

Also, the colors in KoFXIV look washed out compared to KoFXII/XIII

Last edited:
You can't compare SFV to KOXIV because SFV actually looks better than it's predecessor. And I don't want KOF to fail, I loved watching tournaments for XIII. Which is why I worry so much about this game. I don't want it to be the last.

You would get a better explanation asking some fighting game forums where there's people who can tell you exactly why it is. I'm not very good at the more technical stuff of fighting games.

Just because some dudes say it's "subpar" doesn't mean it is, chances are they're fanboys of another series. When I was heavily into DOA5 I was watching Twitch streams of tournaments pretty damn often. They made DOA5 four times, just saying, it's successful.

Only reason people hate it is for the fanservice, but that doesn't take away from it being a great and fun fighting game.

Just because some dudes say it's "subpar" doesn't mean it is, chances are they're fanboys of another series. When I was heavily into DOA5 I was watching Twitch streams of tournaments pretty damn often. They made DOA5 four times, just saying, it's successful.

Only reason people hate it is for the fanservice, but that doesn't take away from it being a great and fun fighting game.

Oh, I like DOA, but it's just not as technical or advanced as other fighting games. It's easy to pick up and rather casual to play, which is what I meant. I personally like that, because like I said, I'm not that good with the more advanced tech in fighting games.

Most people don't play fighting games at a high level anyways, regardless of which game they prefer. Many Virtua Fighter fanboys swear up and down about how deep the game is, but when asked to make objective comparisons, few of them can provide concrete answers. They ride on the series' reputation, rather than developing a real understanding of the games they are comparing.

Last edited:

Well, at least they are trying...
I think it is more about whether or not you like the style now than if they are actually upgrading the graphics.

Iori looks like a shitty cosplay of himself.

I know I said this already but snk needs to anounce a beta. These ugly gameplay trailers isn't doing them any favors IMO. Do they honestly think the fighting community is going to care when they have sf5, tekken 7 ( rumored), and mkx kp2 coming out next year? The gameplay itself could be amazing but if they don't give us a chance to play the game before it releases (provide feedback test the netcode ect,). ......how will we know? Btw I want this game to do well but its almost as if snk is intentionly sending this game to die.

I've never in my life seen a game that looked better in off-screen footage than the actual trailers

Characters I'd want...
Boss Characters:
SHION (I have a strong feeling he'll be in.)
Shermie (Orochi and normal in one character.)
Chizuru and Maki Kagura (In one character.)
Orochi Leona

Guest Characters:
Angelica (Samurai Shodown)

Other Characters:
B. Jenet
Lien Neville
Mature
Vice
Mai Shiranui

I've never in my life seen a game that looked better in off-screen footage than the actual trailers

Did you guys catch Kula at the select screen? she's next to Kyo, I hope we will get a unique roster in this one, KOF XIII was a nostalgia trip, but now I want to get cool surprise characters in the roster, maybe more Garou Mark Of The Wolves characters, like Rock Howard or Kim Jae Hoon, also i'd like Yamazki to return, he was always a badass.