It is possible that he won't be known by his current name before claiming Outworld

Zmoke

Hello everyone,

Some might know that I have already written a lot of content in the Kotal Kahn Klub in deviantART and here I want to continue that a bit.

Since it appears that "Kahn" is a title and that Kotal Kahn is a successor of Shao Kahn, it might be that Kotal Kahn will in the chronological beginning of Mortal Kombat X start of as simply "Kotal". How do you feel about that?

Since apparently it's confirmed Kotal isn't blood related to Shao Khan, it must be a title.

But I think it's very weird, because there's no tradition. It was Onaga, then Shao Khan. Both of them are very, very old. Between them they cover thousands of years ruling Outworld... Where are the previous Khans that made this a title?

Unless the new timeline reveals "Onaga Khan" it's a bit weird for it to be a title that doesn't come directly from Shao Khan.

Khan (title), a title for a ruler in Turkic and Mongolian languages and also used by Persians, Afghans/Pashtuns and Muslim Punjabi Jatts and Rajputs for chiefs and noblemen

It's very possible people just call themselves "Kahn" in the MK universe as a title of dominance . It' doesn't necessarily have to be the title belonging to outworlds emperor . For example a leader of a village might be called "Sam Kahn" . Although he could have been born "Sam Smith" or simply "Sam" , he may be referred to as "Kahn" at a later date when he became the leader . He may also have called himself "Kahn" long before being the leader of anything , just wanting himself to be perceived as a ruler of somewhere / a powerful man .

IMO I think Kotal Kahn will always be using the title of "Kahn" as a title of dominance throughout his whole appearance in the MK universe. But only the games story mode will clear this little issue up .