What you LIKE about MK: Armageddon

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it seems like I'm getting a little flack from the "Fans Express Dissapointment in Armageddon Shortfalls" news story. I intended the piece to be a launch pad for discussion, but it seems like I left all of the positives out of the story. The plan all along was to create a counter post with people defending that game, but I didn't make myself clear enough in the original news item.

So here it is...what do you absolutely love about that the MK Team has done with Armageddon? Posts here will most definitely be used in a counter point news posting, so make sure you're detailed in your positives.

I have noticed many of your other threads that detail what you like about the game and i will be using them, but go ahead, if you haven't already, and post your positives in this thread.

Well the game is really a dream come true. Pretty much every mortal kombat character ever in one game. Thats exactly what i was wishing for back when deception came out. So honestly they matched my wish right there. They even added 2 more characters, Taven and Daegon, to the game. Another thing i really love is Motor Kombat. Even though it only has 5 tracks and they are somewhat small, i love that game. I really think they should make Motor Kombat its own game with more, and much larger tracks, more characters, and build on the game they already have. Maybe add some new moves, or ideas to the game. If they made a Xbox 360 or PS3 game of that where you could play online that would be totally sweet. But this is about armageddon. Thats pretty much what i like about the game. Kreate a fighter, Kreate a fatality, and konquest really didnt live up to the hype that surrounded it. Coming from someone who loved Deceptions Konquest, i was sadly dissapointed. But it seems anyone who hated Deceptions Konquest, loved the new Konquest in Armageddon. But for what its worth, its totally worth buying just for the fact that the roster is the largest its ever been.

PS. in the krypt there is a movie about motor kombat, and right when it says GO! and the racers starting driving there is a "MORTAL KOMBAT" yell. I thought that was really cool, i dunno why they didnt keep that in the game, or add it if it was just there on the video.

Character Roster - 9.8/10

Simply Amazing! 98% of fans will be happy with this lineup. The other 2% are Khameleon and Tremor fans. :mrgreen:

Stages - 9/10

Love them! But some classic stages are obviously missing. Pit, Pit2, Pit 3. Also the Dead Pool and the Living Forest. I would have given a score of 10/10 if they were in the game.

Arcade Mode - 7/10

Kombat Tower is too short. Other than that, Kombat in arcade is good and alot of fun. Having two styles is better than what MKD had.

Aerial Kombat - 8/10

Personally, I don't think it belongs in an MK game. But they have pulled it off really good. :mrgreen:

Kreate a Fighter - 8/10

Awesome idea and well implemented into MKA. But in my opinion, not quite as indepth as I had hoped. Still, I have seen some very good creations. I liked this mode the best.

Konquest - 7/10

To linear but still good fun. And not as long as many had hoped for. The relics idea is also good. Taven and Dageon are really good in the whole story.

Kreate a Fatality - 7/10

Novel, interesting and fairly well executed. But I feel that it falls a litte short due to a way too high "repetition factor". This would have been absolutely perfect if they had included signature fatalitys. Even if only one per player.

Blaze - 8/10

Good to see a new boss, but you just can't beat the Kintaro/Kahn duo from MK 2, or the Motaro/Kahn duo from MK3. I like Blaze, but he's not the best boss ever in an MK game.

Motor Kombat
- 6/10

New to MK, but nothing really mind blowing. I feel that the multiplayer mode is the best aspect of this game in terms of the "Fun" factor.

Special Moves
- 6/10

Plenty of missing specials. Without naming the all too obvious ones. But overall, not too bad. Cyrax net? The hell? :mrgreen:

Online - ?/?

Don't know. I'll assume it's the same as MKD. Interpret that however you wish.

Krypt [whatever its called]- 9/10

Higher score for the fact that you don't waste coinage on empty boxes. ;-)

Motaro - 8/10

I gave Motaro a highish score. Why? Because I'm not comparing him to his original proper form. Despite tha fact that he has been butchered from his Centaur form. They have done a great job on him for MKA.

Music - 9/10

Good. I like the background stage music.

Overall Score from me - 7/10

Last edited:
What do I like about it? Quite a bit. There's all characters in one place. That jumpstarted the aving process to buy this one. Then ere's the new fatality system, which is relatively good for first shot at doing something like at. Also, it just sounds so emersice: from the ring of bells in the tower to the sound of someone getting their arm sliced off at your command. Not sure how the graphics are of corse, cause I can't see them. And also, I even got Mom playing after I let her create her own character! Unbelievable!

i like how i only wasted $40 on this title rather than the $50 for the premium.

you were spot on with the disappointment news bit.

Overall Im very happy with this game. It is exactly what I wanted with all the characters. Character specific fatalities would have made this game perfect IMO.

The Konquest was enjoyable and even though I liked the Deception Konquest better I didnt want a long ass Konquest this time and the 5 - 6 hours it took to finish Konquest was perfect.

Motor Kombat is enjoyable and another fun minigame.

Kreate a fighter is really good but like Chief said should have been more indepth. And Im pissed you cant have more than 1 created fighter on a profile.

Kreate a fatality as Ive expressed sucks alone but would have been perfect even if each character had only 1 personal fatality.

There could have been more stages, much more actually, but that doesnt really bother me any.

Overall I give it an 8.8/10

Character Roster - 9.8/10

Ditto.

Stages - 9/10

Love them too! I miss the pit but the deathtraps are wonderful and the design simply perfect! I would have liked to have fewer of the old MKD stages (quite a few of them I disliked) but it doesn't even begin to bring down the awesomeness of the new stages!

Arcade Mode - 8/10

Love the presentation but yes it is too short. I like the fact that we get a different boss each time. But it really isn't anything new. Well done, but not perfect.

Aerial Kombat - 9/10

I loved the aerial kombat in MK:SM and I'm overjoyed they brought it into MKA. It's just the kind of thing we need to offset the loss of the long style branch combos. I was a big MKII fan and this makes it feel a little more like that.

Kreate a Fighter - 7/10

Absolutely terrific. But limited. Special moves especially. And you have only 2 choices of weapons? I think not. In terms of appearance I couldn't ask for more! But the lack of weapons and special moves makes the kreation of a truly good fighter nearly impossible.

Konquest - 11/10

Idk what people dislike about this little game unto itself! I'm a fan of MKD's konquest myself but this just blows it away! Linear sure but the battles are terrific and the way you get to fight so many of the characters along the way? I just can't praise it enough! I could play it 100 times!

Kreate a Fatality - 7/10

1 signature per player would have made this ultimate. But as it stands it is very repetative and it takes some getting used to. 7/10 is a good number.

Blaze - 8/10

Agreed 100%.

Motor Kombat
- 7/10

There's nothing "wrong" with it. But it is rather small. 5 short tracks. But it plays really nice.

Special Moves
- 9/10

Pretty much EVERY character has at least 1 new move (only ones I've seen so far who didn't were Kabal and Jax). I never expected Cyrax's net or Reptile's forceball to be in, I'm happy either way. But that's why it's a 9 not a 10.

Online - 7/10

Same as MKD yep. Good enough. I wish it had more options like checking the bio of ur opponents KAF and stuff.

Krypt [whatever its called]- 9/10

Agreed.

Motaro - 4/10

Bad design, not Motaro, and he doesn't play very well either. His attacks are predictable and EASILY avoided. He has none of the pinache of Moloch, Shokans, Kahn or even Onaga. I don't like him, and I wouldn't like him if they didn't call him Motaro.

Music - 10/10

Amazing. Best music in MK ever.

Overall Score from me - 9/10

this game is so great, im so sick of people whining about it. when i started playing mk it was when mk1 came out, so all i care about is the fighting. everything else is just an added bonus.

thats all i have to say, i love it.

I'd give rate them for

7.9 for the Stage- not very much to play with them all.
8.7 for Motor Kombat- FUN!
8.2 for Konquest-I'm getting little bored with this kind of crap.
9.4 for Kreate-a-Fighter- I love it!
6.7 for Kreate-a-Fatailty-I'm little bit dissappoint about this.

Overall is 8.6

I like the character roster. Game play is pretty much the same as in Deception.......but with 60 characters to choose from, everybody can play as their favorite. No need to ***** about so and so being left out of the game..........especially Khamelion who was a second rate cheap knock off of Chameleon created soley because the N64 wasn't powerful enough for the Chameleon character. Enough griping about a stupid knock off character created for one system for one game because the system couldn't handle the real character.

I like the Konquest dynamic......but is too short. Took about 5 and a half hours the first time while actually looking for stuff and exploring........but only about 3 hours the second time going back through to pick up the two relics I missed the first time around. The actual game play was a big improvement from Deception's Konquest......the story and scale, however, were inferior.

KAF is nice. I don't know why anybody would complain about it. You can make hundreds of original characters aswell as favorite comic characters and whatnot. With the vast variety of presets......the time it takes to create some is very minimal. Storm Shadow of GI Joe fame is mine.....took all of about 20 minutes from beginning to end. Just used the old Scorpion preset......changed his mask to MK1.....turned everything white with black accents and gave him some ninja swords on his back. Took less than 5 minutes.......

Fatality system is an improvement........you can do a multitude of fatalities with any character. I personally didn't like the next gen fatatlity cinematics. They were cute the first two times you did them.......then it was old, boring and useless. The new system requires knowledge of the actual commands for a desired result aswell as speed and timing.......something Mortal Kombat should be based around, being as it's a fighter.

I like Taven and Daigon as new characters........good editions.......better than 3/4 of the old roster.

The only part of the game I don't like is the lack of a definitive ending..........it's the last game of this saga.....it should have all been wrapped up. The finally to any saga should not end open ended as this one did.

People gripe about Blaze being so easy to beat.....and he should be. As he is a playable character in the game, he should be no more difficult than any other......say Onaga or Goro. Why give players an unfair advantage by creating one of the 62 characters head and shoulders above the rest? There's no real need for a boss in this game. It's a tournament, that's it. Blaze is just another combatant. He doesn't need to be extremely difficult or harder to beat for any reason.......he isn't a Mortal Kombat champion or anything implying that he is better than anyone else. He's merely the last guy in the tournament you fight.

7.9 for the Stage- not very much to play with them all.

im with you there bigE. I find the levels kind of boring. And it seems when you play arcade or online you always end up with the same ones over and over...like the bell tower. I dont really like that level. I do like some of the levels though, but i miss Pit, dead pool, and a few others that were in deception that actually had death traps.

A positive aspect of Armageddon was the online kombat. Maybe it was just because I was playing with the PS2, but there was absolutely no lag. I've only been disconnected 5 times out of like 150 fights. That's definitely an improvement from MKD's 1/3 fight=disconnect routine. So tons of props there.

Another thing was the actual fighting engine. While yes, Midway did just take the models and moves from MKDA and MKD and added about 20 new ones, it was still awesome to have them in this one collaboration with levels and new deathtraps and such.

I personally don't see what everyone's problem with the game. Konquest mode was really entertaining and fun. It wasn't MKD, but if it was, people would complain about it being open-ended or something. Motor Kombat was a definite improvement. I loved the tracks, the characters, and the power-ups.

Midway did a better job with this game then most, but I don't know if that's saying much.

If I may use the template from Chief.

Character Roster - 9/10

The huge character roser is amazing, I finally get to pit Reiko against Stryker and so forth. Only downside is Khameleon is not in the game, and Tremor did not make an appearence.

Stages - 8/10

The levels in this game are great, new deathtraps and I like how they brought back some from Deception. They don't have any classics though, Living Forest and Deadpool are the two I was hoping for.

Arcade Mode - 7.5/10

I agree with Chief, the tower was too short for my liking, but Arcade in general was good this time around. I have fun with every character in Arcade.

Aerial Kombat - 8/10

Aerial Kombat is good, adds to what the player is allowed to do, only bad thing I see is that sometimes it can be hard to achieve and come up with combos.

Kreate a Fighter - 9/10

KAK was an idea I wish they had in Deception to improve for this game. This mode is good, could have had more to do though. I like the freedom you get with the different parts.

Konquest - 8.5/10

Konquest was like MKSM which is what I liked, but being as linear as it was, I didn't like it as much. It had a lot to do, and it was fun beating, but the storyline was too strong and got a little repetitive.

Kreate a Fatality - 9.5/10

I liked how this turned out. It is a fun way to come up with your own combinations of fatalities. I still would have liked the option of doing a signature move here and there.

Motor Kombat - 8/10

The new mini-game, turned out ok. They could have had more stages or unlockable characters though. Multiplayer turned out good too.

Special Moves - 9/10

I liked most of the new specials, but some of the characters were missing good ones and some had the same as Deception.

Online - -/10

Havn't played online yet, from what I have heard it is good, and I cna use my headset :)

Krypt - 9/10

288 blocks to unlock, pretty good. I like how you can also unlock things in Konquest and not spend a 'gold koin' at all.

Motaro - 8.5/10

In my top 5 of favorite characters, he is powerful in this game and I like him. Without the back legs, takes away from his proper image though.

Music - 10/10

One of the best aspects of the game, hard rock during Motor Kombat, nice and flowing during Kombat.

Costumes - 8/10

They just repeated costumes from older games, I didn't like too much. Also, some characters only had one.

Personal Overall Score - 9/10

A great MK game, the last for this generation of consoles.

Not too much to hate in this game, I wish they would have added a little more to KAK or Konquest though.

Boy where do I start? OK...

Just about every character from the franchise was in Armageddon. Thats what sold me. I'm dissapointed that Khamealeon and Tremor were not in the game though.

I love Kreate a Fighter! It is the most detailed creation system I have ever had pleasure to use. Sure it could have been better, but I just love how you can: create a fighter, their fighting and weapon styles, and a biography.

Motor Kombat was ok. I do miss Chess Kombat...but not Puzzle Kombat. There could have been more tracks and deffinetly more characters. Plus the controls were a bit clunky.

Kreate a Fatality is fun. Nothing satisfies me more than seeing my carnage come to life. Of course there should have been more ways to execute a fatality action.

I did like some of the new and returning arenas in Armageddon. My favorites were Meteor Storm, The Subway and Pyramid of Argus. Though some of the arenas looked a bit half-assed and I didn't really like the idea of bringing back stages from Deception.

The music and sound from Armageddon was flawless...as always. I loved the songs for Meteor Storm and The Subway.

Aerial Kombat is a great addition to the MK series. I got tired of just doing juggles in MKD. Now I can do a small juggle and then beat the crap out of my opponent in mid-air.

Arcade mode was great, but instead of just fighting seven kombatants up to Blaze, there should have been more like up to at least fifteen. It would give better meaning to "Armageddon".

In conclusion, Armageddon is a great final chapter in this generation of Mortal Kombat, but it does have its share of problems.

We need to get MKA to be at EVO 2007. I mean they had DOA4 at this EVO. Also, with Tekken 6 coming out and all, why wouldn't we have MKA at EVO. Guess we just gotta coordinate it with Ponder and Mr. Wizard.

Boy where do I start? OK...

Just about every character from the franchise was in Armageddon. Thats what sold me.

I love Kreate a Fighter! It is the most detailed creation system I have ever had pleasure to use. Sure it could have been better, but I just love how you can: create a fighter, their fighting and weapon styles, and a biography.

Motor Kombat was ok. I do miss Chess Kombat....

Amen! CHESS wuz the $#!+!

My girlfriend used to hate MK, cuz me and my boy would hook about about once a week for some chess matches. It was not uncommon for a single match run over 45 minutes...

Now there is no more chess and thanks to KAK, MKA is now my girlfriend's favorite video game of all time! She learned how to do the special moves, combos, and fatalities.. and dig this: she give me and my boy a run for our money in versus mode!