Mortal Kombat Trilogy

MKMpwnz

I was playing MKT last night because I hadn't in awhile. And, I kept losing! I had to really cheat to be it on easy. I set it to Freeplay, Automatic combos, and 1 round matches. What gives? Is there some sort of strategy? I always pick noob-saibot.
For Shao Kahn, my stretegy is to block a lot, then hit him with the orb, then do combos.

btw, I never played MK2, 3, or UMK3 on consoles, only roms.

Characters like Jade, Cyrax, and Scorpion are fjasklfjakls

They block too much and evade. So what should I do?

Welcome to the world of 2-D MK games. They are tough, the AI is better than you. Learn it's quirks and tricks. Once you understand and can predict the AI's movements you will begin to win. But this takes practice and observation, no tricks or strategies could compare to experience.

Well dang. I just broke my controller in half. fajsdklfjs See how frustrating this can be?

I understand what you mean. Each character is different. For example, Sheeva, I know not to throw a fireball at her unless she's on the ground. Heres the deal with Jade:

Whenever I do teleport body slam, she ducks, then uppercuts
Whenever I do orb, she turns green and slams into me, or flashes and runs and combos.

She's the most difficult I think.

Blocking and dodging? Oh no!! What are fighting games coming too. Well the computer isn't just supposed to let you win. It's a game, you are supposed to use some kind of effort. Sorry to tell you but you can't just do random moves and hope you will win. Yes there are strats. I guess you can say the computer is difficult, but that's atleast until you understand it's weakness and loopholes. There are many simple tricks.

Your playing with noob and still can't win?

http://www.ultimatemk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114

I don't know why everyone thinks jade is so hard.

Edit: I'l be back with a cool video on how to use noob, just wait

Last edited:
My strategy for Noob is this:

telport, and when the oppenent bounces I high kick them. Then I do orb, then combo, then repeat.

My strategy for Noob is this:

telport, and when the oppenent bounces I high kick them. Then I do orb, then combo, then repeat.

After the teleport slam, you should use an uppercut, don't just settle for a high kick. Anyway, you really shouldn't even need any particular strategies with Noob, he's the cheapest character in the game. He would always be my go to guy when I was stuck. Just keep bombarding them with his projectile, you'll catch 'em with it a good chunk of the time, especially when you're in close as it's one of the fastest projectiles, if not the fastest in the game, and even the computer can't catch up with it. Actually, if you're in close, I don't even think you can miss with that thing.

Yeah. Its different with jade though. She goes invincible, then runs at you, then uses a super long combo. And Sheeva jumps on you. I was playing the N64 version.

I put in all my cheats last night and played it on Very Hard, Champion mode. Whenever I couldn't beat someone, I just put in the cheat for Motaro and donkey kicked them till they died.

With MKT set on any any level other than the first 2 easy levels. Every single computer controlled character will walk all over you, especially if your are new to the games. Using cheating devices and Boss charactesr such as Motaro maybe fun and useful if all you are trying to achieve is completing the game to see all of their stories. But it's no good when trying to learn how to play the actual game. The same can be said for all the other classic MK games. The term 'Borking' was a favourite technique at the arcades when playing against the Computer. Jade is partcularly difficult and she is unforgiving everytime you miss her with a projectiule or break your combo midways. She will turn the entire battel against you, dude. But like I said above, all of them are the same. Of course, there are cheesy techniques to circumnavigate alot of your opponent. For example, when facing Jax, simply jump at him and he will do his ground pound, leaving him wide open to any attack of your choice.

With Classic Subzero, simply do a freeze puddle, and jump at your enemy, they will run into the puddle, then you can attack them. One thing that gamers who were used to in MK3 had changed in MK3Ultimate and MKT. And that was the pacing thing. Your computer controlled opponent would pace you. You move back, they move back. You move forward and they do likewise. I hate that, but it can work against them in various ways. Stryker's an Idiot. You just jump over to him, he will throw a grenade and miss, then you start your popup combo on him.

When completing MKT on the hardest tower on the hardest difficulty level, try using Kintaro with no cheating [its easy as pie with him], if you know how. Upon completing your game, select the mega endurance match against all of the ninjas. It's the second last box on the right, no# 11. The last one on the right [no# 12] being the supreme demonstration. I just like smacking the shit out of all of those Ninjas with the big Shokan. Another obvious advantage when using the bosses in this game is that they can't be thrown. That in itself give you, the player a HUGE advantage.

Last edited:
Well, I'll try that with Motaro, I'm not that practiced with Kintaro.

I used to be the coolest at MKT 2 years ago. I lost what I knew and have to start over as n00b. if I get a new controller in time I can re-learn it. Jade and Tanya were difficult in MKD too.

EDIT:Ok. I just tried it with Kintaro and Motaro. I don't know how to use Kintaro and got pwnt. I almost broke the ps2 controller too, its so damn cheap. I kept punching with Motaro, and it would hit them. Then they would get to use combos. Really, thats whats frustrating. Its so cheap. I also tried with Noob Saibot. IT's impossible. They block and evade everything. Theres no way to do that without cheating.

Last edited:
How long have you been playing MKT? You can't master any game overnight, dude. Not unless you're the gaming guru einstein. Keep practicing. What's the saying? "Practice Makes Perfect". Keep at it. And post all of your questions in here, like you have been. Did you know that when playing as any boss and or sub boss in classic MK, that you can hold the Block button while performing moves? That makes for even more defensive gameplay.

You need a moves list as well, by the sound of it, dude?

Go here www.gamefaqs.com and look up MK.

This one is just for you MKMpwnz. This was set on the hardest difficulty and done obviously on the hardest tower. I put in some boss strategies too because many poeple also complain about those. Obviously I made some mistakes, and still won so there is no excuse.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9O6ra_HhQyY

You will always get a free disabling cloud after a missed teleport. Your best strategy is exactly that, go for a tele-slam and as soon as possible shoot a disabler. Then, once you have got them once on a disabler, the rest of the round should be flawless.

Well, I got the game when the ps2 came out. I'm not really sure when I got it, but it definitely wasn't the day it came out. I played for about 2 years and got really great at it. Then I got bored with it and stopped till now. And now, I suck.

When I was using Motaro, I tried to back them into corners then repeatedly hit them. But they would run at me and do some combo and then run away. I got to about 4 ninjaz then died. =\
Practice would help. I"m not used to blocking and dodging in MKT; I'm used to just ass whupping, and hoping I don't get hit. I wasn't an aggressive fighter either like in that video. I would get my hits in, then wait for the oppenent's guard to be down. The run button never became a habit, I'll try using it. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: ok, I just now finished loading the entire video (dial up). That was pretty neat. Were you the one doing the fighting? It reminded me of that video where the chinese kid beats SMB3 in about 8 minutes. I was never that good, but I did get to about 5 ninjas in the mega endurance once. I had it set to medium, and on champ mode though. And I remember a Motaro, Kintaro, and Goro endurance, I beat that. It looked like Sub Zero and Kintaro gave you a little bit of trouble. What happened? And, how did you know what the cpu was going to do? For example, when you were fighting one of the ninjaz in the mega endurance, you kept blocking until he stopped jumping over you, then you pwnt him.

Last edited:
The Computer is pretty predictable, there was only so much the programers could do at the time. From that you can get simple patterns and use them to your advantage.

Noob is serioulsy the easiest character to use. You must know that once you get a disabler cloud on them they can't touch you for the rest of the match, because your can start juggeling them and then when it wares off, shoot it again before they hit the ground. They're screwed. the trick is keeping them airborne long enough. The easiest way is to do the autocombo launcher (run up to them and do HP, HP, LP, HK in rapid succession) tele-slam and if the disabler has worn off, shoot it again. Usually it wouldn't have worn off so you can do things like uppercut before you start the combo or do punches in the middle to make the combo longer, like after the laucher, or after the slam.
It's the endurances that make you have to start the process over, hence my 'trouble' with kintaro and sub-zero. Otherwise it's an easy flawless.

Your probably noticed some other CPU stuff, like every time you do a jump kick backwards, they throw out a projectile. If you time it right you can throw a disabling cloud before you hit the ground and their projectile will have no effect.

The easiest most guarenteed way to get a disabler off, is right after a missed tele-slam. Everytime they block it, throw it out immediately and your good. Start comboing.

Problem with the bosses is they are so simple, there's not a whole lot you can with them.

Hmm, I see. So all that stuff has become a habit for you now?

have you beat the game with every character? I've only done it with Saibot, and Sheeva.

Problem with the bosses is they are so simple, there's not a whole lot you can with them.
I found Kahn and Motaro way too easy in MK3 to defeat. I can own them with any character on any difficulty level. But in MK3 Ultimate, Motaro is a prick and so is that Douchebag, Kahn. But, I can still defeat them both. As you say, they are predictable as shit on your front lawn. :mrgreen:

One universal rule that works everytime on every single character, with every single character, except the boss and sub boss characters, is the crouch and uppercut. I have seen in past times in the arcades, this one move get people all the way to the end battles. Timing is CRUCIAL! Absolutely crucial. For example, in MK2, if you uppercut an opponent too soon, you will not only miss, but they will take advantage of you [no not in that way, lol]. Alternatively, if you leave it too late to execute you uppercut, the computer will just throw you. And in MK3 and all the other classic MK games, the crouching well timed uppercut will 90% of the time get you through. Though, I must warn you that it can get very boring doing it this way. But it's a handy strategy to learn and facilitate, nonetheless.

I've completed MK3/MK3Ultimate/MKT and MK4/Gold with every single character. You alwasy lean towards your favourites at first and play hard with them. Then you spread your wings a little by experimenting and trying out other players. When for example I started playing MK3, I almost always used Subzero. This was for two reasons. Firstly: He had the best disabling move [stun], the freeze. Then your opponent was at your mercy. Two: I knew how to use him effectively enough to make it through MK3 upon playing it for the first time. Well, not the very first time, but my first games. Later, I used others until eventually I had pretty much most of them down pat with all moves and stuff.

By thw way, Noob Saibot is the easiest character for me to complete MKT with. Rain is a close second, followed by Human Smoke. Ninja + Special Move = easy victory. Against the computer, at least.

Last edited:
I started putting up vs CPU strat videos on youtube the other day for UMK3, for anyone who wants to check them out, subscribe because I'll cover everyone eventually. Most of this can be applied to Trilogy, however there are definitely some AI bugs in MKT that were in UMK3 1.1, this is all for 1.2.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EWAShock

Yeah, I saw the Kabal vs. Jade video you posted on the UMK site. Pretty good.

Kahn was pretty hard for me. I never did block, that much. So he just pwnt me in a 5 seconds.

I played a friend online with ZSNES for UMK3 last night. I think I Got a little better. =D

EDIT: What should I do when I get mad and want to break mycontrollers?

Last edited: