The Home Stretch

ChiefThunder

Not long to go until we all get to play the last in the MK series on this generation of gaming platforms [wii not withstanding]. And I just wanted to share some of my last minute thoughts on the game. With a little under 4 weeks until "FIGHT" time, I for one am quite anxious. I rarely get this way, and for very few game titles. God of War 2 is another game I am simply dying to get my grubby little mits on. But that is a whole other story.

I was sitting back contemplating playing MKA, when I considered what things in this game if any would disappoint me a little and what other things would be totally mad. Although the game is shaping up very nicely, I still have doubts about a few things. First up, the fatality system. We already know about the new fatality system whereby you can continue punishing your helpless opponent through 12 levels until there's practically nothing left of them. Novel, but a bit too repetitious for me to find it really enduring. At least with preset regular finishers we could choose our favourites and therefore just sit back after punching in the appropriate button combinations and enjoy the show.

Secondly, The Stage roster. Which is still not fully confirmed. But as Boon stated, there will be 25 in all. Now that's still alot, but seeing as we have 60+ characters, I would have liked to have seen at least 30-40 levels all up. Hey now, I'm not being greedy, it's just that this is the End, the big Tamali, Finis. I just want to see everything thrown in to MKA. I do realise that many of the levels are very interactive and therefore expand into other stages. I really am glad that's included in the game, as well as old clasic areas such as the Subway and the Tower. No problems overall here. I just want a few more stages. But hey, the Wasteland looks awesome, too, especially with the catapult.

Thirdly, the character endings. Old news I know, but it seems that Midway is keeping this shit under tight wraps considering the last 3 games in the series were well and truly dissected before shelf time. As long as we get at least 2 character kards [pictures] plus the usual descriptive narration, I'm fine by that. All of the Kata we have seen is cool n all. But many people have protested that they are not the true endings. Too short for one thing. But I know that incuding FMV endings such as in MK4/Gold for MKA would not only be cost prohibitive but also very time consuming. There has been much debate as to which kind of endings are best/popular. But what will be will be.

Fourthly, the KAF Mode. Now this is something that is not only new to the MK universe, but also very exciting in terms of creativity. Finally, MK freaks will have the opportunity to totall indulge themselves to a degree never before possible when making their favourite and self concieved characters. Out of all the new features, this one alone has caught my interest the most so far. I also believe that this will give the game alot more tilt value than any previous MK titles. Just my thoughts.

Fifth, special moves. I won't say much here or else this paragraph will be much bigger than I want it to be. I have high hopes of seeing things such as Kintaros fireball, Cyrax plasma net, Jax gotchya grab, Quan Chi' weapon steal, Kung Laos teleport, Kabals groundsaw [any saw move] will do. But I know that last move is being too ambitious for this game. Also Sonyas leg grab. Reptiles forceball [one speed will do], Sindels air manouvers [hovering], this will most likely not be included due to the new aerial kombat feature? And there's many more that I would love to see included in the players arsenal. We'll see....

I won't comment on everything, but lastly, I will say that Motor Kombat will be fun. More so for the online racing aspect rather than single player mode. I for one am not that keen on it, but hey, if it's fun, then cool. I just like to find out what each person expects from this game on a personal level. To reiterate, for me it's KAF, then the arcade fighting then the online aspect.

Just a little over 27 days to go.

Last edited:
I agree with you on almost all points. But I'm really excited about Motor Kombat. I need a little out-of-MK-character fun every once in a while. It's like Mario Kart (a great game) with MK characters. One thing you totally left out was KONQUEST. It's gonna add so much to the MK storyline. We'll get to interact with kombatants and spend 6-10 hours on a whole new game akin to Shaolin Monks (which I replayed 4 times).

The fatality system is something I am dreading. It's very bland, very drab, and very boring. If they can jazz it up a bit before the final release with some signature finishers I think I might like it, but I will always be a supporter of the olden style finishing moves.

Yeah, I know. I purposely left out any discussion on Konquest. Because I know nothing about it...yet. But I did hear that MKA Konquest was like an entire game unto itself. Did you see the post I made with the first 25 minutes of MKA Konquest mode on video? It looks way different to MKD' Konquest mode. As for the characters themselves. I refrained from discussing them as well. I am quite happy with the roster of characters.

Last edited:
I'm awaiting this game. Already have the money saved up, but that's half the battle. The only thing that may disappoint is the fatality system. It was an excelent idea, but from what I've seen, not much variety in the moves you can do in it. Also, I'm curious to see what kind of characters people create. We'll probably see some Street Fighter Kombatents.

Fatality system - I'm probably one of the few here that thinks this, but I'm giving this a shot and I'm looking forward to it. While I know Mortal Kombat's all about extremes (most of the times), and the fatalities are an example of this, I often felt like the fatalities for some characters were too over the top or downright rediculous (i.e. most of MK3/UMK3/MKT's fatalities). While I don't mind them being over the top, I'd like for them to 'make sense', so to speak, and Liu Kang's Arcade Drop Fatality in MK3 was one that didn't make sense, to me. Also, fatalites were fun to watch after the first few times. Afterwards, meh, I wanted a little more than something to watch a few times, just to get bored with it. I feel like this new system is the first step in greater interactivity, as well as more brutal fatalities.

Stage roster - I'd like to see more than what's been shown, too, and I'm pretty sure Midway's keeping some under wraps, but this really isn't much of an issue with me. Like Chief, I'd like to see about 30 stages, but as long as their well done and creative, I'll be happy, and I like what I've seen so far.

Character endings - I, for one, like the Katas much better than the picture format used in MKDA and MKD. I can use my imagination better for the kind of endings in MKA, since it doesn't use the previous picture format. I don't need pictures to tell (and show) me the ending.

KAF Mode - This is gonna eat up my life in a good way, so to speak. That's all I have to say, other than it's gonna be a blast to play around with. :3

Special moves - Maybe I've been spoiled a bit by Tekken, but I'm actually quite flexible on this and it really won't affect my opinion on the game too much. While I would like to see some more of the classic moves, like Chief said, I don't think it's gonna impact me too much if some are missing.

Motor Kombat - I'm not too crazy about this, to be honest. I barely played with the minigames on MKD (Chess Kombat was damn fun, though) and I feel like I'm gonna barely touch/play with this, if at all. In a way, I kinda feel like modes like Tag Kombat, Tournament Kombat, Survival Kombat, Time Trial Kombat, etc. would have been better additions, in my opinion.

Nonetheless, I'm stoked for this game and am eagerly looking forward to it, despite my own feelings/gripes on certain matters of the game.