Coolest MK3 "glitch"

jbgames

I remember back in the arcades when MK3 was still relatively new (I think 2.1), there was a "glitch" of some sort when the game was booted up that caused the sound to blast. It's possible there might've been an option to max out the audio from the dip switches, but I remember it as being a glitch of some sort. It was cool because the arcade attendant would do it when the mall was closing down. You could walk down the hall a couple hundred feet away and hear it as if you were standing there playing normally. And with the bass that MK3 had it made the combos literally sound like miniature bombs going off. You would've thought someone rigged the cabinet with c-4 after hearing Smoke's earth bomb fatality lol. One of my greatest arcade memories.

I've seen that as well. Also on a Streetfighter EX game where Zangief would perform his FAB [final atomic blaster] on an opponent, and the whole room literally shook from the sub woofers! But I didn't think that would be classed as a "Glitch", would it?

I have played MK3 more than any other MK game. And as a result I have seen many weird things happen during gameplay. I can list some of them if you're interested in reading about them?

Last edited:
I've seen that as well. Also on a Streetfighter EX game where Zangief would perform his FAB [final atomic blaster] on an opponent, and the whole room literally shook from the sub woofers! But I didn't think that would be classed as a "Glitch", would it?

I have played MK3 more than any other MK game. And as a result I have seen many weird things happen during gameplay. I can list some of them if you're interested in reading about them?

Yeah for sure it'd be cool to hear some examples. I never remember experiencing anything too out of the ordinary.

When fighting the computer only stuff. MK3 arcade and PSX versions.

Liu Kang does 6 bicycle kicks in a row and then does his default 7 hit dialin combo. This does 100%+ damage and he ends up on your opposite side. Looks funny. Have you ever seen that?

Perform Sindels Scream fatality in the very corner and your victim never even gets touched by her hair at the end. Looks retarded. Lol.

Using Nightwolf to reflect Subbys freeze. Do this combo. HK, HP, HP, LP, Hatchet, Hatchet, the walk forward and do a third Hatchet. The last Hatchet isn't even part of the combo yet it registers.

You can't throw any computer opponent that is caught in Cyrax' Plasma Net. Instead, they throw you. That's impossible.

I have seen two Cyrax Plasma Nets onscreen at once.

Not a glitch but worth mentioning here. When fighting Shao Kahn using Sektor, you can double teleport punch him. Why can't Sektor do that to any other characters?

Sonyas dialin combo rarely finishes when fighting Shao kahn. Why's that?

Kabal will do up to 4-5 spin dashes then just stand there. What the hell?

How come when you miss a combo, Sheeva will always take full advantage and do who most damaging combo, yet Kabal doesn't. Why is that?

On the middle Destiny Tower, why is that Shang Tsung is rostered twice. Never could understand that?

When fighting Motaro using Jax, why is that after doing his default 7 hit dialin combo and then following it up with his dash punch, Motaro will grab him? Yet, when not finishing up with the dash punch, he doesn't grab you, even though you are closer?

That will do for now. Lol.

Last edited:
Liu Kang does 6 bicycle kicks in a row and then does his default 7 hit dialin combo. This does 100%+ damage and he ends up on your opposite side. Looks funny. Have you ever seen that?
I've gotten a couple bike kicks done on me, he always finishes with the 7 hit autocombo when you reach the corner. It's physically impossible for humans to do this (unless autofire) because the charge for bike kicks are too long.

You can't throw any computer opponent that is caught in Cyrax' Plasma Net. Instead, they throw you. That's impossible.
Yeah, the computer cheats. They can cancel to throw during pretty much anything.

I have seen two Cyrax Plasma Nets onscreen at once.
Cyrax vs Cyrax? Cyrax vs Nightwolf? It happens a lot.

Not a glitch but worth mentioning here. When fighting Shao Kahn using Sektor, you can double teleport punch him. Why can't Sektor do that to any other characters?
I didn't know that. Is it only sektor or is it the same for smoke too?

You are not supposed to be able to do it in any situation because some specials have limits between each use. This is to prevent cheap unbalanced gameplay. Even if it doesn't combo there are still limits, kitanas fan throw in UMK3 has hella long limit before you can throw another. I have no idea why this recovery time doesn't exist in a kahn battle. Kung Lao's spin in umk has small recover so you can't just spin, spin, spin, inf in the corner, you have to use another hit in between to kill time. However, the spin blows kahn way into the air, giving you enough time to do a spin, spin, spin inf on him. I don't think sektor's teleport uppercut make him go high enough. Hmmm....

Kabal will do up to 4-5 spin dashes then just stand there. What the hell?
CPU cheating. The computer needs to cheat because they suck. It will often just stand there. You could be standing right next to the comp and it wouldn't do anything, but the second you hit LP for throw, bam! He throws you.

When fighting Motaro using Jax, why is that after doing his default 7 hit dialin combo and then following it up with his dash punch, Motaro will grab him? Yet, when not finishing up with the dash punch, he doesn't grab you, even though you are closer?

The computer has instant reflexs. Partially the reason why it can spawn specials in one frame. The game was made in the mid 90's. CPU patters will show very easilly. You can pretty much force them to cheat, display impossible reflexs, throw cancel, or bait them flawlessly every time.

PS. I HATE the CPU!!!

Many of those things happened to me, but I couldn't understand it completely. What happened to me when I was playing it in an arcade somewhere, I entered the freeplay code, and the volume maxed out. I was thankful for that a minute later, as I could actually hear what I was playing over the other games. Tried it again hoping the same thing would happen, but it didn't.

Many of those things happened to me, but I couldn't understand it completely. What happened to me when I was playing it in an arcade somewhere, I entered the freeplay code, and the volume maxed out. I was thankful for that a minute later, as I could actually hear what I was playing over the other games. Tried it again hoping the same thing would happen, but it didn't.

It's to let the arcade owner know that you aren't paying so he could kick you out. LOL

Anyway, about this Double Teleport uppercut bussiness, it's deffinitely not because of the time limiting. It works too fast. It also works all the way up to trilogy on all bosses except motaro ofcourse. It can be done with more moves. It might have been done on purpose for balance or something.

So it is the result of a code. No wonder the attendant only used it when the arcade was about to close down.

Those are some crazy glitches, ChiefThunder. And here I was thinking MK3 was more balanced than MK2, lol.

And here I was thinking MK3 was more balanced than MK2, lol.

It is.

Most of the comments in this topic were about CPU cheating anyway, which has nothing to do with real versus, and is also pretty bad in mk2 as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
You are not supposed to be able to do it in any situation because some specials have limits between each use. This is to prevent cheap unbalanced gameplay. Even if it doesn't combo there are still limits, kitanas fan throw in UMK3 has hella long limit before you can throw another. I have no idea why this recovery time doesn't exist in a kahn battle. Kung Lao's spin in umk has small recover so you can't just spin, spin, spin, inf in the corner, you have to use another hit in between to kill time. However, the spin blows kahn way into the air, giving you enough time to do a spin, spin, spin inf on him. I don't think sektor's teleport uppercut make him go high enough. Hmmm....

CPU cheating. The computer needs to cheat because they suck. It will often just stand there. You could be standing right next to the comp and it wouldn't do anything, but the second you hit LP for throw, bam! He throws you.

The computer has instant reflexs. Partially the reason why it can spawn specials in one frame. The game was made in the mid 90's. CPU patters will show very easilly. You can pretty much force them to cheat, display impossible reflexs, throw cancel, or bait them flawlessly every time.

PS. I HATE the CPU!!!

Yeah the CPU Sektor and CPU Smoke can do a double teleport uppercut...

Those are some crazy glitches, ChiefThunder.
I will post some mroe soon. I'm just getting warmed up here :mrgreen:

I've gotten a couple bike kicks done on me, he always finishes with the 7 hit autocombo when you reach the corner. It's physically impossible for humans to do this (unless autofire) because the charge for bike kicks are too long.
Agreed, Kang does them practically without even charging the damn move.

Cyrax vs Cyrax? Cyrax vs Nightwolf? It happens a lot.
If memory serves, it happens alot with both of them and a few others.

I didn't know that. Is it only sektor or is it the same for smoke too?
Both. I use both Smoke and Sektor against Kahn and can perform two tepeport punches that juggle him. Yet I cannot do this against any other character either playing the computer or in versus mode, dude. Weird that.

I don't think sektor's teleport uppercut make him go high enough. Hmmm....
Have you noticed that in the PSX version of MK3 that when you push Kahn into the right corner, your teleport punch will hit him even when he's blocked? It's very strange. He seems to not be able to block. This however is not the case on the Arcade version. The punch seems to skim off him.

CPU cheating. The computer needs to cheat because they suck.
I agree 100%. But a few years back, I read an article stating that the computer AI in any MK games can't cheat. Talk about confusion.

It will often just stand there. You could be standing right next to the comp and it wouldn't do anything, but the second you hit LP for throw, bam! He throws you.
Yup, seen all that shit way too many times. Also, how come the human player using Kabal can't throw a stunned spinning opponent even when he's just standing there spinning? If you attempt it, they undissy instantly and throw or reverse anything you might try. Unfair. Lol

PS. I HATE the CPU!!!
Me too, it cheats :mrgreen:

Last edited:
"Liu Kang does 6 bicycle kicks in a row and then does his default 7 hit dialin combo. This does 100%+ damage and he ends up on your opposite side. Looks funny. Have you ever seen that?"

The CPU can do multiple bike kicks because it doesn't have to charge the move, however, if it was a command move, a person could do that too since you can do an attack after a Bike Kick and have it combo unblockably so long as you interrupt one of their attacks with the Bike Kick itself. Try vs a person, do a Bike Kick, have P2 Roundhouse and get hit midscreen, then afterward do a LK. P2 will not be able to block it, then try it with a naked Bike Kick, P2 will always be able to block. Same goes for his 7 hit combo in the corner after a counter Bike Kick. You can also do an unblockable ducking LK or sweep after his corner combo with the right timing because of "must land" properties after autocombos". Generally, once a character touches the ground, they can block, but specifically not after autocombos. There are other instances where you can connect a hit in air on the last frame the game perceives them as airborn, and on the very next frame where it registers the hit, they will be standing on the ground.

"Using Nightwolf to reflect Subbys freeze. Do this combo. HK, HP, HP, LP, Hatchet, Hatchet, the walk forward and do a third Hatchet. The last Hatchet isn't even part of the combo yet it registers."

It is part of the juggling section of his combo, and is part of any official combo so long as they do not touch the ground. It is possible after that third axe, to run in, LP, and do a fourth axe. It is easy to perform a blockable but comboable infinite of all axes on the Robots across the full screen distance because of their collision detection. In the corner vs the Robots, Sheeva, Kabal, and Kano, it is possible to perform an infinite with Nightwolf's 3 hit kick combo because of the "must land" property in autocombos, the quickness of his 3 hit kick combo's recovery, and said characters' collision detection. It is however, not possible to combo off the ground after his axe since the axe does not have a "must fall" property.

"You can't throw any computer opponent that is caught in Cyrax' Plasma Net. Instead, they throw you. That's impossible."

There becomes a point in UMK3 1.2 difficulty level where you cannot throw the CPU at all. They can cancel any of their special attacks or recovery frames with a throw, like Jade's dash kick for example. It is not limited to Cyrax's net, however you can always throw the CPU out of Sub-zero's freeze. On other containments throwing in general is disable even in 1 on 1 gameplay, like the Spear. If you could throw the CPU all the time, they would have had to program in a cpu concept for "holding back" since holding back prevents you from being thrown. Had they not bothered with that and made it so the CPU had no way to prevent throws, some characters could just repeatedly throw the CPU and be very easy to beat the game with. It would have caused a huge amount of problems with the already terrilbe AI and I completely understand why they did it.

"I have seen two Cyrax Plasma Nets onscreen at once."

CPU has no special move limits. They can do multiple teleport uppercuts in a row, multiple spins while you're still spinning with Kabal (which you mention), constant spamming Kitana fan throws. All of this exists in previous MKs in one way or another.

"Not a glitch but worth mentioning here. When fighting Shao Kahn using Sektor, you can double teleport punch him. Why can't Sektor do that to any other characters?"

That is a glitch, you shouldn't be able to do that. It's almost like a CPU programming overflow the human control. Like Dave said Kung Lao can spin infinite bosses in the corner, just the spin, no hits inbetween. Same glitched property. Also, the spin normally activates damage protection in UMK3, but against the bosses, it doesn't. The damage vs them is lower, but it doesn't change.

"Sonyas dialin combo rarely finishes when fighting Shao kahn. Why's that?"

Collision detection and recovery time. Also, bosses can block at any time during autocombos, even under human control in MKT. MK3 is a little different in the sense Motaro and Shao Kahn release block mid combo all the time.

"How come when you miss a combo, Sheeva will always take full advantage and do who most damaging combo, yet Kabal doesn't. Why is that?"

After the CPU does a pop up combo, they generally stand in place because they aren't programmed to do a bread and butter combo afterward. Sheeva is programmed to do her 7 hit in this situation. For Kabal to get the most damage out of a ground combo, he would have to do his 4 hit kick combo. To get the best combo to juggle, he would have to do something the programmers weren't able to do when by the time the game was finished.

... Like....wow. That helped me alot, dude. I still have to post my queries in that MK Broken thread of yours. I have alot of questions still. And hopefully your answers will help me become even better at MK3 and MKT etc. But you have been most helpful in this thread.

Thanks.

Also add in the obvious for Liu Kang, you can do a dragon kick after his bike kick, but make sure that the bike kick interrupted an attack, because if they block it, you are open to a full counter.

Also add in the obvious for Liu Kang, you can do a dragon kick after his bike kick, but make sure that the bike kick interrupted an attack, because if they block it, you are open to a full counter.
Yeah, I know about that dragon kick after the bike kick, dude. Infact, when fighting Kahn, I do a nifty litle 3 hit combo - jump kick, bike kick, then finish up with a dragon kick. Of course in MK3U, Kangs popup lends itself to all sorts of goodies. I have been trying to do/perfect the following combo...

Just starting out of the corner, I go jump in an his standard popup then when they are just about to land, I do his bike kick and finiosh with the combo I outlined above. Have you been able to do that particular combo?

Actually, in MK3, I use Kang alot. When fighting the computer and landing a bike kick, I follow up with a combo. Yet some charcters won't fall for this. Sheeva for example will break it immediately when I go right into the dialin combo. That is unless she is in the corner, then I pull of a 9 hitter real easy. Bike Kick, his 7 hit combo, then sweep. A nice little combo seeing as I know no breakers to extend that...yet :mrgreen:

Last edited:
In MK3, Liu Kang could run in after his bike kick, in UMK3, the run meter depletes at the end of the bike kick, disallowing him to run in. Vs Sheeva in the corner you can do a HK as well instead of a sweep after the 7 hit, but vs CPU specifically and it being Sheeva, after Liu's Bike Kick, 7 hit combo, you can do, sweep, and the combo his 4 hit kick combo, then do a HK, again this only works vs the CPU, but technically you can inf CPU Sheeva like that Also, Sheeva has really fast recovery over all, for example vs Shao Kahn, after he does a tackle you can almost instantly run in and combo him, but with the robots, you can't possibly do it without getting hit in return.

I have noticed you like MK3, but I don't understand why. I'm going to sleep soon, I will check this thread tomorrow.

Yeah I added a bit more to my post above too.

That combo is possible to do, something similar to it is done in one of my older videos. It's a 20 hit Liu Kang corner combo. Pop up, JK, RH, Bike Kick, 7 hit combo, HK. The 7 hit combo is blockable, however if you start the combo with a Bike Kick and no pop up, you can do Interrupt Bike Kick in corner, istant upward JK, air fireball, RH, otg(off the ground) Bike Kick, repeat, and it is an infinite because of the Bike Kick interupt and RH otg properties. It's next to impossible to do, there is an example of ded_ (one of my partners in combo crime) doing it in this thread on my board:

http://www.ultimatemk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33

You should really point your questions here, there's a lot of guys who can answer them pretty much like I can, but I will always add more specific unnecessary info.