Thread: "The bank bungle they wouldn't fix"

Ruler of NetherRealm ChiefThunder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The bank bungle they wouldn't fix"

The below story I saw on the news here a few days ago. I don't know if anyone saw or read about this, but it makes me laugh when I see screwups like this. Read on...

A man who received an overpayment into one of his bank accounts spent nearly a week trying to get the bank to take it back. Here is his story. When Michael Ratner discovered $91,000 had been mysteriously been deposited into his bank account, honesty prevailed. He tried to return the money to its rightful owner. But despite a week of contacting the banks involved, Michael could not get them to take any notice.

Michael was expecting a loan payment from Suncorp for $91,000 to go into his National Australia Bank account. When it appeared twice, he had no idea which bank had made the mistake "I decided in my wisdom, for whatever reason, right or wrong, that I was going to siphon the money out of the account," Michael explained. "Because it would give me the opportunity I'm getting in my life to possibly get the banks to listen to some reason, as far as punters are concerned."

With $91,000 of the bank's money in his pocket, Michael set the cat among the pigeons. He spent the next few hours on the phone to both the National and Suncorp trying to give them back the money. In one call alone, it took five minutes for the National to verify who it was talking to, asking question after question.
    After two days and finally a call which lasted more than 20 minutes, the National told Michael it was not responsible for the incorrect deposit.

So Michael called Suncorp and again was given the run-around. Two days later after several calls, the bank got back to him, conceding the mistake and asking when he was going to return its money. But Michael had a few questions of his own before he handed it back. Michael said he wanted the banks to explain why customer service is so bad, why credit card fees are so high, why banks will give unsecured loans on credit cards, but put small business through the wringer.

It took five days to get the money back to the bank.

Marketing expert John Carlson runs a website dedicated to exposing bad customer service. "Why do their running around for them, why make phone calls to their 1300 numbers and have machines talk to you?" Mr Carlson asked. "Time and time again, while trying to do them a favour ... I mean, they made the mistake."

I wish they'd deposit over 90 grand into my bank. HAHAHAHAA.
    Last edited by ChiefThunder; 06-06-2006 at 03:16 AM.
    Mmm, I Love Teh Boobz...

Click On Mileena's Boobz...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "The bank bungle they wouldn't fix"

I would have to say customer service is not what it once was in this country lol. Can you link this guy's site I tried to google it but couldn't find it, sounds like it might be worth a look. I guess if he hadn't reported the mistake and spent the money he would have been charged for it so I would definetley be concerned about 90 grand appearing in my account. Here I am working my arse off for $15 an hour with 90 grand sitting there, talk about burning a hole in your pocket.

Special Forces Agent The 7th Number's Avatar
    Twitter
    @The7thNumber
    Xbox Live
    The 7th Number
    PSN
    The7thNumber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so he returned the money?

Ruler of NetherRealm ChiefThunder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, he returned the money. If he had spent the cash, then the Bank would have had him locked up, man. Sad but true.

Here's the link, Dorn. Btw, what does Dorn stand for? Dorn is the surname of the actor Michael Dorn, best known for his role in Star Trek Next Gen as "Worf" a Klingon.

Click Here
    Mmm, I Love Teh Boobz...

Click On Mileena's Boobz...

Thread Information