Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

El Chupacabra

So did anyone else pick this up? It just came out a few days ago.

I used to love FF7. It was one of the greater RPGs released and for it's time, it had stunning graphics. As a matter of fact FF7 introduced a lot of people to the RPG genre simply because of how big the game was during it's original release.

Anyway, I just got done watching the movie. It's okay. You definatley have to be familiar with the FF7 storyline and characters to even have a chance to understand what's going on here. But even if you are familiar with this stuff, the story in the movie isn't to strong. It's rather non-existent really.

But the animation is great. Some of the fight scenes (the highlight of this movie) are amazing and some of them move so fast they will lose you at times. It's still very fun to watch.

I was a bit disapointed that the entire cast didn't get too involved. It was mainly Cloud vs. the bad guys although Tifa did have her own fight. Barret, Red, Cid, Yuffie, and Cait Sith came in pretty late and only battled in one fight with minor roles. Vincent was more involved but still, I would have loved to see him fight a bit more.

I would suggest giving it a try if you are a big FF7 fan. If not, don't worry about it. And if you are borderline or hesitant on getting this, you shouldn't. By not seeing it, you really arn't missing much. Then again, if you love computer animation it's a definate must.

I have also got it on DVD, but have yet to watch most of it. But from what I did see. It loos simply amazing and has nothing to do with FF Spirits Within. Which I also liked. Everyone bagged it :?

I saw the Japanese version of FFAC months back, then got the American version a week before it came out :D. I liked it though I do wish most of the characters had bigger roles. The story wasn't great, but I liked the movie alot.

I saw the japanese version 2 months ago. I liked it but for me it wasn't that great to own it, it lacked of substence imo! The soundtrack is great though.

ChiefThunder said:
Maybe a sequel is planned? I hope so, because these type of movies never get old.

I remember seeing somewhere that this was the end to the FF7 series. As in, this movie would replace any game-version sequel and would finish the tale of Cloud and friends. I could be wrong on that though and even if I'm not, you can always do a sequel to an RPG like this.

They have been doing a bunch of FF7 related games though. Vincent Valentine stars in that 'Dirge of Cerebus' game. It comes out this year sometime. I think the PSP has some related thing too.

El Chupacabra said:
Vincent Valentine stars in that 'Dirge of Cerebus' game. It comes out this year sometime.

Yeah, I have that game on my 'to get list' I used to play so much Final Fantasy, not so much anymore. But I am eagerly awaiting this title

ChiefThunder said:
Yeah, I have that game on my 'to get list' I used to play so much Final Fantasy, not so much anymore. But I am eagerly awaiting this title

I've seen a few videos on it and it looks pretty nice. The only thing that bugs me is the camera view when shooting but im sure it's adaptable when you play. I will probabaly wait for the reviews though. I mainly want to see how long the game is. If it's short, I won't get it.

As for the Final Fantasy series, im with you. I really don't play them anymore. Since 7, I think they have all been rather boring. I played the demo for the newest one and I don't like the combat system much. I will probabaly end up picking it up but I just don't like the direction Square has gone with their games over the past years. All these asexual looking characters, flamboyant and stupid looking areas, art, and worlds, and the lack of really good stories and deep characters have just lost my interest in the series.

Right now im actually playing Suikoden V. I'm really enjoying it ... so much that im going back to playing. Later.

Final Fantasy 7 was awesome. I loved Midgar's apocalyptic look, The way how it looked that evolution had come full circle and humans had reverted to medieval lifestyles again. And the sense of comradery in the characters hasn't been seen in any other game. After a while you actually start to value them as friends.

The series since then has gone way downhill. All the scenery is lush and pretty, all the people look like 14 year old girls, and the characters are as likeable as puss soup. I could see why people liked 8, and I actually thought 9 was OK, but 10 was a failure. As far as I got, it just seemed like the game revolved around taking coloured balls and rearranging them, which i can do with a set of marbles. The fighting system has never been up to scratch since 7 either.

The film looks quite good actually. Spirits Within was another film which was named after a game it had nothing to do with, and it sucked, so it's refreshing to see this. I don't like the way how Seph looks tho, and I don't like the way how they've toned down the manga style hairstyles. But the action looks awesome. I'll probably wait for it to drop in price a bit, and then pick it up.

Off topic, did anyone see the rendered FFVII intro using PS3 specs? how awesome was that?

I saw it back when it was first subbed; I liked it. It was lacking a bit in the story, with Cloud being too cryptic for his own good and leaving us with many questions up in the air, but that's fine. It did what it set out to do, please the FFVII fans, and I think it did.

Also, I didn't think Spirits Within sucked, it would have been a pretty good film had it not had "Final Fantasy" attached to it. It was a decent sci-fi flick, if you're willing to look past what it's labeled.

I had no problem with Spirits Within. It was a decent movie and its not like there is any set story for Final Fantasy, they are all different.

I liked Spirits Within better than Advent Children, really. It was a better movie all the way through, it at least had a story, and the dialog was better. But then again, it had a much higher budget. The only problem was attaching the name Final Fantasy to it, as a few of you have said. Without that tile infront of it, the movie can be considered a good Sci-Fi film.

I just finished watching Advent Children and I thought it was pretty good. Granted I dont know much about FFVII except the little thing they had on disc 1 that showed the sequences from the game and I knew about the characters beforehand. I didnt find it difficult to follow and it mainly made me want them to remake FFVII on PS2 or 3.

I only ever saw "Final Fantasy Spirites Within" once, and that was back in 2001, when it was in Theatres. I didn't like it much, but thats because I remember that I was too much in the "This Movie isn't Final Fantasy!!??" mode. But now that I think about it, it wasn't a bad movie, Nothing to write home about, but not as bad as I made it out to be. I remember, that it was the best looking CGI film that I had ever seen though; The movie looked reallly nice. I'm not sure i'd ever by it, but I think I need to see it again to make better judgement. I think that putting the name Final Fantasy gave the movie too much to live up too, especially among Final Fantasy fans, Though I'm not too aware the views and opinions from Scifi fans, or the mainstream about "Final Fantasy Spritis Within".

I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 alot, so most likly I will buy "Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children" My, friend already baught it, and he says that I can watch it with him.

I only liked Spirits Within for the CG animation.

I will be picking up FFVII:AC after I buy my guitar pedal and have money, Target has the 2 disc thing for $15 so yay me. I can't wait to see it. I am a fan of FFVII and the whole storyline as well.

Kona said:
I only liked Spirits Within for the CG animation.

That and Aki :lol:

akiMaxim.jpg

I actually watched the movie again with my brother since he hadn't seen it. The second time through it was much more enjoyable. I actually like it. I seemed to follow the story a bit more plus I refreshed my memory about the game a few nights ago, so the story made more sense to me. I also picked up on a few things I didn't pay much attention to the first go around.

It also makes me want to play Dirge of Cerebus. Vincent's pretty bad ass in the movie. Great voice.

Was finally released in Australia a week or so ago I thought it was brilliant although the one thing I object to is Cloud's death at the end. In the game they killed off Aerith, that was permanent fixed and defined a lot of what FFVII was about, it was cruel, human and real. when Loz and Yazoo blow up the tower and Cloud dies that was fine, not good (Clouds awesome) but from a storytelling perspective they immediately went back on it, convaluting the story and going against many of the central themes trivialising it in a subtle way. the only other problem I had with it was Cloud's final line "I am not Alone" Straight from Squall Leonhart's ending in FFVIII (which was the only final fantasy since not to try to clone FFVII in some way). Apart from that the bad guys were great, the set-up's were great, Cloud drove the story brilliantly and it was good to see everyone back (especially Yuffie).
those are my views anyway :D