Why Was Scorpion Absent From MK3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just thinkin to myself that scorpion had been in all the mk series games but wait... he was nowhere to be seen in mk3 i just find it quite strange that one of the most famous and popular characters was not featured in this game

He was added in UMK3 to complete the roster.
I think I heard that he was left out to meet deadlines with production

Goraka said:
He was added in UMK3 to complete the roster.
I think I heard that he was left out to meet deadlines with production

That is correct. They always intended to have Scorpion, Reptile, Mileena and Kitana in MK3, but they knew they didn't have enough time. Hence the reason Noob is actually Richard Divizio (Kano). They always planned on an upgrade to MK3 when they realized they weren't going to make the original deadline with all the features initially planned.

This is also the reason for the crappy fatalities that each of these characters posess, especially the censored ones. They didn't bring in the original cast to act out new fatalities; instead they used existing art work and animations to create fatality work arounds.

From there, they just came up with as many pallatte swaps as they could, Ermac, Rain (sort of), Jade, Classic Sub-Zero, and Human Smoke to fill up the rest of the machines memory.

Since they gave sub an original look, they were probably planning to do the same with all the ninjas. Also, a key marketing strategy, I believe it was rushed to come out around the same time as the the cinematic film "mortal kombat" to double the hype.

right--how would subby even look in MK3? everyone is human(if you include the cyborgs). Scorpion would be, well.....i have no clue.

If they had time to make two robots why couldn't they find time to make another human ninja.

And how do the ninja's fit into the story?

205MKfan said:
If they had time to make two robots why couldn't they find time to make another human ninja.

And how do the ninja's fit into the story?

Because it required another costume, plus all the special move animations, and regular moves for both female and male. Not to mention, if they used fatalities that had there own animation on all the effected characters, they would have to digitize that as well. It ain't exactly the quickest (not back then anyway) process.

As for your second question, click this.

SwiftDarkfire said:
they couldve taken stryker out and put scorpion in not many would mind :)

And with the way the MK3 engine was, if Scorpion was in he might have been pretty decent. Instead he wasn't in until UMK3, where he wasn't a particularly good character.

ChiefThunder said:
DreemerNJ said:
Instead he wasn't in until UMK3, where he wasn't a particularly good character.

What makes you say that, dude?

He just wasn't. He is mid to low tier character with not a whole lot of gameplay value. Better then Classic Sub but not as good as the other male ninjas. He wasn't terrible but just not particularly good. Basically a less capable version of Human Smoke.

EDIT: and my thinking was if Stryker was straight out replaced with Scorp in regular MK3, then Scorp's special moves could make him a serious contender against the MK3 roster (and I could see him really benefiting from no pushback off of roundhouses in the corner). It probably would have been a big hit with fandom to have Scorp and Sub Zero be the top tier characters in the game. MK3 Sub is pretty much unstoppable, so a powerful Scorp would be a good counterpart.

Ed told me back on the MK4 tour that alot of those characters weren't in MK3 because the storyline took place in Earth realm. They tried to go in a different direction with the characters, but due to fan reaction, they decided to upgrade MK3 into more of a Tournament Edition with more characters, arenas, kombat kodes & secrets.

Ed told me back on the MK4 tour that alot of those characters weren't in MK3 because the storyline took place in Earth realm. They tried to go in a different direction with the characters, but due to fan reaction, they decided to upgrade MK3 into more of a Tournament Edition with more characters, arenas, kombat kodes & secrets.

That and he's directly said things like that in interviews because that's how he talks to fanboys and marks. The fact of the matter is, they already planned to put them in before MK3 was released, and releasing two games in one was a way to make more money in the long run and get paid beta testing.

Daniel Pesina who Scorpion, Sub Zero, Reptile and Johnny Cage was Fired by Midway for appearing in an Ad for Bloodstorm, They couldn't find another actor in time except for Sub-Zero who was now played by John Turk, THATS WHY HE WAS LEFT OUT!

Um, well I always thought it was they wanted to make a new style, you know, not using characters that are based on ninja's which are not real anymore, but make more "ahead of its time" characters like Jax and the robots. Also the robots were cyber ninja's so maybe they were to replace the human ninja's, but they never came out and gave them there names and saying they are now robots becausalot of Scorpion fans will get really mad if he died and was made into a robot or something.

P.S. And whats with all the hate for Stryker? Why him and none of the others? I liked him, I thought it was cool to finaly have a character with no magic powers, just fighting and weapons, I was kinda pissed when they got rid of him till MK:A really.

Status
Not open for further replies.