any of you have the first two games for the genesis?

satinsoven

i was curious if anyone had mk1 and mk2 for the genesis. this thread is strictly not for console wars, or for discussion about other ports. of course you can compare the versions :)

I do. Both fall short on performance compared to the SNES versions. Although despite smaller, more pixelated sprites, and the missing frame of animations etc. MK1 played better than the SNES one. That version was too buggy aside from misssing blood and the original fatalities (timing was off, and block doesn't always work for example).

MKII on the other hand, there is no contest, the SNES version is better. It looks, sounds and plays much more closely to the arcade version. It's also better than the 32X version as well. That one was a slightly upgraded Genesis version (emphasis on slightly). The timing was still off for combos, very few frames were added (characters and backgrounds) and the audio was barely improved. It contained most of speech, but the music was the same as the Genesis one. Oh, and Goro's lair was added too. Whereas the Genesis version used a blue version of the portal instead.

MK1 for Genesis was much better than the snes port. Unless you like to be cheap and use infinites. Something I noticed about the genesis port is you don't have to HOLD the direction you want to move, you can just tap it. In the snes port you have to hold it you want to move, this could be good for fatalities i guess that way you don't move around... OH WAIT!

I enjoyed the genesis music as well.

I used to have them including MK3 for the Genesis. But when my Genesis broke down, I had to get rid of it, including the games. :( Don't worry, I'm still an MK veteran.

MK1's arcade combos worked fine on the Genesis too, and of course, the ending screens are intact. It's just sad how bad the SNES version played, because it really had the potential of blowing the technically (that's whay I meant be peformance) inferior Genesis one out of the water.

It doesn't matter now, since I have MKD Collector's Edition :wink:

I have the honor of owning both for the Genesis. I got to say they are still one of my most played games (even today :shock:), and I still <3 them very much. I have never played either on the Snes, so I can't really say which I think is better :p.

I have MK1-UMK3 on the Genesis, but I can't find my MK1 cartridge, even though the case for it is like right here.

i never played the snes port, but from what reviewers say, i think im better off with my version. first better comparison is BLOOD. dammit, mortal kombat isnt mortal kombat if its some crappy kids version on the nintendo. i dont know about the snes versions "toned down fatalities," but on the genesis version if u dont use the blood cheat, the fatalities are like "cage shadow kicks them and they fly off the screen" and "subbie uppercuts them and nothing more" and "rayden shoots a electric volt at their head and they fall over."its having the blood cheat with the original fats. that make gensis superior to snes.

MK for SNES was poo. I have MK1 for SNES and hardly play it. I <3 the Genesis versions. I have MK 1 -3.

DAVE101 said:
MK1 for Genesis was much better than the snes port. Unless you like to be cheap and use infinites. Something I noticed about the genesis port is you don't have to HOLD the direction you want to move, you can just tap it. In the snes port you have to hold it you want to move, this could be good for fatalities i guess that way you don't move around... OH WAIT!

I enjoyed the genesis music as well.
Amen to the music. Especially Goro's Lair and The Pit music.

I dont think either Genesis or SNES version of MK1 is very good. SNES gameplay was very sluggish, and Genesis everything looked and sounded terrible. Especially Goro's lair. They redid the entire level to use practically no colors and to look like some kind of gameboy color version of it.

got a point there about goro'slair graphics... :? always thought they was sorta nifty....no blood on the walls.... :?

SNES removed all blood from MK1, which was substituted for "spit and sweat." even the pit fatality was just a sprite falling onto a spike and nothing happening

I have MK1-3 on both Genesis and SNES. Here are my thoughts on all of them:

MK1 was best on the Genesis purely because it had the blood code....and maybe cus im a Sega kinda guy :D

MK2: I preferred MK2 on the Genesis to be honest minaly because I know all of the moves and fatalities off by heart on the Genesis controller.